Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I highly recommend everyone play through this game just so they can laugh at how bad it is. 5 stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

idc about how many "professional video game reviewers" give the game a perfect score because they did that poo poo the first time around and that game was a shiny turd. I'm more interested to see the actual player responses over the next month.

It’s going to get review bombed for having a lesbian and a girl with muscles so this isn’t really a good metric either tbh

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

fridge corn posted:

I highly recommend everyone play through this game just so they can laugh at how bad it is. 5 stars

Is that the review from gamerpowerpsxunlimitedgamereviews.nl?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1272237950487560192?s=20

druckmann is such a baby lol

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bob's moving up in the world, first it was the guy who made too human getting pissy at him for internet posts, now it's the head of a triple A game studio

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Please be nice to the developer who put his team into crunch hell so he could tell the important and tought provoking story of people are bad.

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 14, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The battle lines have been drawn: Druckmann and Cory Barlog and Colin Moriarty vs. the simpsons podcaster and Jason Schreier

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Hi im Neil Druckman and i ask the SA goons to choose: for or against

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zeta Acosta posted:

Hi im Neil Druckman and i ask the SA goons to choose: for or against

can I throw the baseball at him

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Neil Druckmann is one of those rare people to evoke the "Shut up, Nerd" emotional response even at an adult level.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I hope there's at least enough in this thing to make our Discoursemaniacs pop off at each other for a couple months

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Has anyone said Shmuckman yet?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1271797115509805058

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
The Last of Us Part 2 is the unit 731 of videogames and this is why it matters...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wonder if there's a particular recent game review that make Austin Walker post this query...

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1272263678289760256

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It's probably for the SpongeBob SquarePants remaster.

EDIT:
Anyway, that thread is a very good read. Austin does say in a reply that he's referencing Take Two getting bothered by his Mafia 3 review and that it eventually resulted in an interview with one of the writers (Charles Webb).

Also... I just found out now that same writer is with Rocksteady. Interesting.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 14, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ErrEff posted:

It's probably for the SpongeBob SquarePants remaster.
I thought the scene where spongebob slowly pours salt on gary was excessive

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nah, its the part where they have your pour salt on Gary, then it makes you play as Gary, doing your best to please Spongebob, as you inevitably crawl towards a salty death

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SpongeBob would never be brave enough to tell the story of paid DLC kill animations

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dogstile posted:

Nah, its the part where they have your pour salt on Gary, then it makes you play as Gary, doing your best to please Spongebob, as you inevitably crawl towards a salty death

And later Spongebob and Patrick have a long conversation at the Krab about violence as a means of gratification and why that's bad.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I wonder if we’re gonna see a repeat of what happened to Bioshock Infinite which received universal acclaim when it was released especially for its “deep thought provoking plot about racism and class struggle and philosophy and poo poo” only for some time to pass and a more critical examination finally led to people realizing the thing was an embarrassing mess.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder if we’re gonna see a repeat of what happened to Bioshock Infinite which received universal acclaim when it was released especially for its “deep thought provoking plot about racism and class struggle and philosophy and poo poo” only for some time to pass and a more critical examination finally led to people realizing the thing was an embarrassing mess.

That is exactly what is going to happen.

I miss the days of Amy Hennig.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

was tlou1 like spongebob now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

dunno, didnt happen to the first one at all, and the reviews from people represented in the game arent pointing out how problematic it is like they did for infinite while everyone ignored them

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Reviews are gonna be great until the switch comes around and then people are gonna "what the gently caress are you smoking" for the rest of eternity

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Personally I think my first post in this thread was that I watched the leaked footage and read the synopsis and said I'd rather see it in person to judge it in context. Well, I don't feel that way anymore, it turns out from these reviews that the leaks weren't really out of context and the whole game really is like that. To me it sounds like they're missing the moments of levity that made the first game's overbearing tone feel 'realistic' or at least easier to swallow in chunks- I haven't seen a single review so far mention such a thing. Instead of being a series of 'ups' and 'downs' no matter how small the 'ups' are, it's all 'downs' from the very start and there are no 'ups'.

edit: It's all in the execution imo, and it sounds like TLOU 2 is poorly executed. It is a gutsy choice to make a story that is deliberately uncomfortable and bleak, you only ever really see movies attempting stuff like that. I have respect for Naughty Dog for trying to expand on the pretty narrow scope of video game storytelling but it seems like they shot wide. Not necessarily because of big egos or unwarranted self importance from people at the helm, but because they seem to have misunderstood why people liked the first game, or perhaps had a different reading of its themes than what players ended up reading.

Deliberately uncomfortable and bleak games were solely in the field of gaming devs who are either European or one man studios. This is the first genuine AAA attempt to do so

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

gyrobot posted:

Deliberately uncomfortable and bleak games were solely in the field of gaming devs who are either European or one man studios. This is the first genuine AAA attempt to do so

I mean AAA horror games exist and this is a AAA horror game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ahh nuts, my nose just started bleeding

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's an incredibly immature pile of anti-violence garbage created by a man who will likely never face violence and will for sure never have to rely on violence to protect himself or his loved ones and is deeply ok with abusing the absolute loving hell out of people when it suits him.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Goons hating a game that was critically lauded upon release? I dunno, that’s a bit unrealistic.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Stux posted:

dunno, didnt happen to the first one at all, and the reviews from people represented in the game arent pointing out how problematic it is like they did for infinite while everyone ignored them

that's probably because Bioshock 1, despite all of its flaws, is a good and fun video game, and Bioshock Infinite is not a good and fun video game, which its flaws only exaggerate

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

DC Murderverse posted:

that's probably because Bioshock 1, despite all of its flaws, is a good and fun video game, and Bioshock Infinite is not a good and fun video game, which its flaws only exaggerate

I think he’s talking about the first Last of Us.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wonder if there's a particular recent game review that make Austin Walker post this query...

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1272263678289760256

In a USGamer podcast recently Austin talked about how Rockstar pressured other Vice members to lean on Waypoint because of the discussions they were having about RDR and in another tweet he said their discussions around race in Mafia3 lined up a follow on interview.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Oskar Schindler: “I could’ve killed more dogs. I just... I could’ve killed more. Look, these leftover shivs in the inventory, that’s two dogs. This bat with razor wire, I could’ve killed four dogs with that. Why didn’t I use these arrows, with headshots that could’ve been eight more dogs.”

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

man nurse posted:

Goons hating a game that was critically lauded upon release? I dunno, that’s a bit unrealistic.

disco elyseum is bad now? what the gently caress?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2020/06/14/two-warnings-about-the-last-of-us-part-2-review-scores/

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Erik Kain, Forbes posted:

The final 12 hours or so are completely off-limits, so the things that reviewers liked or disliked about that portion of the game can only be discussed vaguely. I understand wanting to keep spoilers out of reviews as much as possible, but this strikes me as more than a little over-the-top.

Whether or not this leaves something important out is impossible to say since I haven’t played the game. Here at Forbes, we did not receive a review code for The Last Of Us Part 2 (nor were we told why) so I’m unable to offer up any analysis or impressions. I would not have been able to talk about the second half of the game anyways, thanks to the embargo (which not only prevents discussion of the game’s ending, but also its beginning).
Embargoes for story content are not unusual, Erik. Whether it's intentional or not, this comes across like he's jealous Forbes wasn't included when sending out codes.

Surely he must've seen or read about the leaks. Feels like a clickbait article.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

It's an incredibly immature pile of anti-violence garbage created by a man who will likely never face violence and will for sure never have to rely on violence to protect himself or his loved ones and is deeply ok with abusing the absolute loving hell out of people when it suits him.

ok now halley gross

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think he’s talking about the first Last of Us.

yup, my bad, i misread that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Hi there I'm completely out of the loop. Why are goons and people in my twitter feed mad about this game? It looks like it's not even out yet.