Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
We are starting a new 13 week season of the Goon Turismo Sport Mode Time Trials!

We use the official sport mode TTs. There is a new one every week (changes over late Wednesday nights) and each one lasts for two weeks, so there are two TTs going on at any given time.

For our own goon scoring, the top goon on a particular time trial gets 100 points and then points are awarded to all slower goons based on what percentage they are off the top goon time. 100 points are awarded to a match in time and 0 points are awarded if a driver cannot get within 110% of the top goon time. A driver that gets 105% of the top time is awarded 50 points.

If you'd like to participate I encourage you to join the Goon Turismo discord but if you want to just post a screenshot of your times here I can include you that way too.

I personally find these to be an excellent way to improve my driving, as one can view the laps of any of the worldwide top 10 times and download their ghosts to follow.

crackhaed fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

emdash posted:

Is the weather in a race like that actually random, or does everyone get the same? I got two storms but the first felt almost undrivable even with full wet tires. Will have to try it again unfortunately

Are you talking about the weekly race at Spa? I seemed to get rain around 15 mins in or so on a few attempts so I assume its the same weather through the race?

I just changed to wets and slowed down a fair bit and was able to get to the lead eventually and win by a fair margin, despite changing to Hard tyres probably a bit too early and having some fun there...this was in the NSX Epson car

BoonyPC fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 30, 2023

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

crackhaed posted:

We are starting a new 13 week season of the Goon Turismo Sport Mode Time Trials!

We use the official sport mode TTs. There is a new one every week (changes over late Wednesday nights) and each one lasts for two weeks, so there are two TTs going on at any given time.

For our own goon scoring, the top goon on a particular time trial gets 100 points and then points are awarded to all slower goons based on what percentage they are off the top goon time. 100 points are awarded to a match in time and 0 points are awarded if a driver cannot get within 110% of the top goon time. A driver that gets 105% of the top time is awarded 50 points.

If you'd like to participate I encourage you to join the Goon Turismo discord but if you want to just post a screenshot of your times here I can include you that way too.

I personally find these to be an excellent way to improve my driving, as one can view the laps of any of the worldwide top 10 times and download their ghosts to follow.

I think I will be joining for this. use it to ease myself back into the game and hopefully start racing now that i have a ps vr and extra ps5 in the basement and can plug away for a few hours while the wife still gets access to the living room
tv.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

qirex posted:

Pretty bold of them to put the 1hr Spa race in the weekly challenge. If anyone needs an easy button for it the Gr. 2 GT-R GT500 ‘08 is a monster, just won by 2 laps but some of that was because I got lucky and there were 2 bits of mild rain

Thanks for the car tip, used that GT-R and it was a good time winning by almost a lap

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

emdash posted:

Thanks for the car tip, used that GT-R and it was a good time winning by almost a lap

that same GT-R is also good for the Sardinia road race that is a good option for legit grinding if you need a spot to earn money, it's what I've used much of the time.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Hey Goons, tonight we're driving the very inexpensive and hella fun KTM Xbow for some low stakes Sprint races. Rubberbanding will be on so even if you suck, you'll be able to catch up to the pack and battle some folks for position. Just add me on PSN Empire_of_Ravens and it'll alert you when I open a lobby.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Is the "ClubmanSharp" credits auto grinder still viable for PS4 havers, or have people found a better method?

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN GOOOOONS!!

https://imgur.com/a/riMZNjh

Join the discord to get rolling. We got lots of people and it's grand!

Mercedes fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 4, 2024

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Mercedes posted:

IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN GOOOOONS!!

Join the discord to get rolling. We got lots of people and it's grand!

Hell yeah!

Got Team Barbie all sorted.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Boy, do I ever hate the Red Bull races.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Did a Barbie RA272

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I still need to get some seat time with that before Tuesday...

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It's a really fun car to race/drive! It's especially cool in VR.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Made a matching pastel Barbie suit and helmet

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

qirex posted:

Boy, do I ever hate the Red Bull races.

Nothing like taking a slightly slower than optimal line through a turn and getting rammed by the computer and then twice more by the rest of the pack as you cross the line.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I wish you could rent cars you need but don't own for the weekly challenges, just like with the online races or time trials. No way am I spending 3.3m on a car I will never use again just for one race. :mad:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Gotta catch buy em all

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Toe Rag posted:

I wish you could rent cars you need but don't own for the weekly challenges, just like with the online races or time trials. No way am I spending 3.3m on a car I will never use again just for one race. :mad:
Which race requires you to own a 3.3M credit car to beat it?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

You need the Red Bull X2019 for the weekly challenge, right? I am assuming so, but whenever I click it, it tells me the event isn't available :confused:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Toe Rag posted:

You need the Red Bull X2019 for the weekly challenge, right? I am assuming so, but whenever I click it, it tells me the event isn't available :confused:

You need to complete the X2019 Menu Book as well (No. 48 I think?) which is unlocked by getting collector level 50.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You just need to start the menu to unlock it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

You need to complete the X2019 Menu Book as well (No. 48 I think?) which is unlocked by getting collector level 50.

Ah it was this. I had the “extra” Red Bull menu but was only level 49. I bought the Porsche 919 and now it’s available. It’s funny because I already had the Red Bull X2019 25th anniversary as a gift car bought was wondering if somehow it didn’t count. Good thing I didn’t buy the other.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Toe Rag posted:

Ah it was this. I had the “extra” Red Bull menu but was only level 49. I bought the Porsche 919 and now it’s available. It’s funny because I already had the Red Bull X2019 25th anniversary as a gift car bought was wondering if somehow it didn’t count. Good thing I didn’t buy the other.
Oh yeah that's a pricey car but they gave em out for free with the 25th anniversary thing and it's also a free car for getting gold on all the license tests.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

crackhaed posted:

it's also a free car for getting gold on all the license tests.

Cold

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trying to race with goons while the weather is wanting to knock out your power and internet, is a bad combination. :negative:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I said come in! posted:

Trying to race with goons while the weather is wanting to knock out your power and internet, is a bad combination. :negative:

It was worth a shot! A 30 minute race is certainly something you want a stable and fast internet for.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

StormDrain posted:

It was worth a shot! A 30 minute race is certainly something you want a stable and fast internet for.

Is it? That ashy weenis character seems to not think that :v:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
New Barbie Livery for the Group B Celica just dropped!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Made a pastel version of the Barbie MR2

These pastel cars are a loving pain in the rear end. To keep them still shiny and metallic I need to reduce decal opacity. Getting the separate layers to align is incredibly difficult across a curved surface, especially with how the livery editor applies decals. It'd be fairly easy if it let you actually warp and transform decals in a more free-form manner.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I had a question about cars and their base stats vs tuned. So if I get some of these cool cars from Brand Central like the specially built mustang from Eckarts (in Oregon!) or others l get gifted like a Chevy racing car I just got.. if I drive them without any tuning at all do they feel and drive the way they are meant to in real life (or as close to it for sim purposes)? Does buying all the upgrades dramatically distract their driving character from reality? For instance, beyond putting on better tires, some cars with tons of horsepower are nearly impossible to drive in their base configuration. They oversteer themselves in a circle the moment the trigger/gas is even slightly pressed in 2nd gear, or their amount of downforce through a corner is near zero, or their braking ability is hilariously bad. I almost feel like we HAVE to tune heck out of a car to make it even race capable, but then I wonder if the car is even remotely close to feeling like it’s real self after we’ve purchased all these parts and set their downforce and tuning settings. It’s lost all its character and become just another racing car? But at the same time, nearly every car with “greyed out” tuning settings in their base setting all seem to have the same numbers (like 1 for roll bar and so on) so are they meant to be upgraded and tuned before racing to some degree? Maybe the effects of tuning aren’t that exaggerated and I’m worrying too much?

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 11, 2024

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It’s pretty cool to see the group get collectively faster over time. I’ve seen some significant improvements from folks.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

I had a question about cars and their base stats vs tuned. So if I get some of these cool cars from Brand Central like the specially built mustang from Eckarts (in Oregon!) or others l get gifted like a Chevy racing car I just got.. if I drive them without any tuning at all do they feel and drive the way they are meant to in real life (or as close to it for sim purposes)? Does buying all the upgrades dramatically distract their driving character from reality? For instance, beyond putting on better tires, some cars with tons of horsepower are nearly impossible to drive in their base configuration. They oversteer themselves in a circle the moment the trigger/gas is even slightly pressed in 2nd gear, or their amount of downforce through a corner is near zero, or their braking ability is hilariously bad. I almost feel like we HAVE to tune heck out of a car to make it even race capable, but then I wonder if the car is even remotely close to feeling like it’s real self after we’ve purchased all these parts and set their downforce and tuning settings. It’s lost all its character and become just another racing car? But at the same time, nearly every car with “greyed out” tuning settings in their base setting all seem to have the same numbers (like 1 for roll bar and so on) so are they meant to be upgraded and tuned before racing to some degree? Maybe the effects of tuning aren’t that exaggerated and I’m worrying too much?

Sort of? It depends on how you want to drive a car essentially.

The default tune for most cars is basically a comfort tune for driving on the road. Some cars like the new porsche gt3 rs are essentially track tuned already and would probably suck to drive on the street. For the most part tuning a car isn't going to drastically change the car all that much and just improve it's characteristics. If you're concerned about changing it too much or whatever buy multiples and experiment with the tunes and see what works for you.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

You're speaking generally about a wide spectrum of things, so there is no easy answer. The custom built cars, much like their IRL counter parts, are mostly for show, although a few of them are drift cars - so purpose built for high horsepower and spinning. Might as well leave them "stock" and save the money on parts. Here is the website for that Ford: https://www.eckertsrodandcustom.com/terrys-1969-mach-40

I don't know which Chevy you got, but a lot of the American road cars are going to be better in a straight line than corners. (Think drag racing and oval tracks) I haven't done it in a while, but I know you can mess with the camber/toe and sway bars to keep it a little more steady on fast corners, and then slightly alter the gearing and throttle to keep the revs manageable at low speeds.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
It's also important to remember that a lot of the modern cars that have like 900hp, and feel like anyone driving one on the road would crash every time they hit the accelerator, have tons of well engineered driver assists to keep it pointed where it's supposed to go.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah, if you want to get more of the "character" of the older cars especially shut off the driver aids. It turns out a lot of that character is ruinous under/oversteer.

I used the Camaro ZL1 for a lot of my early races because I got it as a prize when I was still spending all the money I made and it was fast but even fully tuned up a bit of a pig in turns. I couldn't beat the GT series championship with it and didn't have any Gr3 cars yet so I bought a Ferrari 458 and that did it much easier at a much lower level of parts investment. I've also driven pretty much all the Gr3 cars and they definitely drive different.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

qirex posted:

I've also driven pretty much all the Gr3 cars and they definitely drive different.
Gr4 is basically a road car with GT Auto aero mods, weight reduction and racing parts installed.
Gr3 and up get into levels of downforce that you can't modify road cars to have and it really changes how a car drives and feels.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

crackhaed posted:

It's also important to remember that a lot of the modern cars that have like 900hp, and feel like anyone driving one on the road would crash every time they hit the accelerator, have tons of well engineered driver assists to keep it pointed where it's supposed to go.

There's a reason the Mustang IRL is a meme car for crashing into car meet spectators. Turning off traction control in a RWD car with that much torque is a recipe for disaster with random donks.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

crackhaed posted:

Gr4 is basically a road car with GT Auto aero mods, weight reduction and racing parts installed.
Gr3 and up get into levels of downforce that you can't modify road cars to have and it really changes how a car drives and feels.

I meant the different Gr3 cars are fairly unique from each other, despite all being rear wheel drive and having similar aero characteristics.

It's a shame road cars get such crap gas mileage that they can't really compete in the individual 800 series races.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

qirex posted:

I meant the different Gr3 cars are fairly unique from each other, despite all being rear wheel drive and having similar aero characteristics.

It's a shame road cars get such crap gas mileage that they can't really compete in the individual 800 series races.
When you engine swap a car it gets the fuel tank associated with that engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

crackhaed posted:

Gr4 and 3 in GT Sport (:rip: ) and GT7 are supposed to be mirrors to GT4 and GT3 class cars in real life. GT4 are supposed to not be as aero-dependent and closer to the street versions, while GT3 started that way and has turned into a much more aggressive thing (while still being targeted to dentists, finance heads, and pro drivers on the way up).

I think tires are different too with Gr3 cars having more aggressive slicks, but I’d have to double check.