Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Vic posted:

I had to shut down the goon deck wiki as my poo poo was getting DDOSed and I can't afford real hosting that can deal with that.

I still own the domain goondeckwiki.com until November next year and have the files, so if anyone would want to host it, I'd be happy to move it and keep paying for the domain.

How sad and deranged do you have to be to DDOS a fan wiki for the Steam Deck, good lord :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

OLED Deck looks dope and I'm jealous of folks grabbing one but now I'm also interested in this thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5pTpB9x-es

I haven't kept up with the thread for a while but I do remember some folks in the thread with the previous version - previously known as NReal - and being positive on it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Macichne Leainig posted:

How sad and deranged do you have to be to DDOS a fan wiki for the Steam Deck, good lord :psyduck:

I bet it's EVE Online related.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
The price on these xreal goggles seems kind of high; could almost get a quest 3. I assume the pro will be pretty close to same price. And then if you get the beam accessory... yikes. I have no idea if a steam deck can output to quest 3, though.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

homeless snail posted:

Putting a glossy protector on top of a matte screen is psychotic and does nothing about the anti glare treatment continuing to scatter light while also adding obnoxious reflections on top of it.

While I am very careful with my stuff, I would still like to put a screen protector on it for peace of mind. So unless there are matte ones it will happen regardless. And I do find it odd that it seemingly makes such a difference since it sounds counter intuitive. And I know the example used isn't a pure black but at least on camera it seems like the colors pop a bit more. But to be honest, I kinda like the "satin"-looking appearance of the etched screen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Finster Dexter posted:

The price on these xreal goggles seems kind of high; could almost get a quest 3. I assume the pro will be pretty close to same price. And then if you get the beam accessory... yikes. I have no idea if a steam deck can output to quest 3, though.

Someone was able to drive the Quest 2 from a Deck, so probably that’d work.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Finster Dexter posted:

Extended gaming on a VR headset is nowhere near as comfortable as the Airs probably are.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Vic posted:

I had to shut down the goon deck wiki as my poo poo was getting DDOSed and I can't afford real hosting that can deal with that.

https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/ exists and is free.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Today my 3 month old deck gives me a 0% battery and won’t charge. Guess I’ll try a slow charger and then probably just replace the battery. I know I could probably RMA but I don’t want to undo the storage and joystick mods.

I’m sure it’s coincidental that this happened the day valve announced a hardware refresh.
:edi:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Angryhead posted:

OLED Deck looks dope and I'm jealous of folks grabbing one but now I'm also interested in this thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5pTpB9x-es

I haven't kept up with the thread for a while but I do remember some folks in the thread with the previous version - previously known as NReal - and being positive on it.

I have the original versions and the newer ones aren't much different, that said they're pretty great. If you travel a lot you'd probably love them but if you're at home you probably won't bother tossing them on that often.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

atomicpile posted:

Today my 3 month old deck gives me a 0% battery and won’t charge. Guess I’ll try a slow charger and then probably just replace the battery. I know I could probably RMA but I don’t want to undo the storage and joystick mods.

I’m sure it’s coincidental that this happened the day valve announced a hardware refresh.
:edi:

Seems like a perfect opportunity to try and get a refund and the new one IMO. Just throw the old ssd back in, assuming you still have it.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Seems like a perfect opportunity to try and get a refund and the new one IMO. Just throw the old ssd back in, assuming you still have it.

Hopefully the one I have just works. It’s seems putting it on a slow charger has brought the battery back to life with no issues. Wonder why the bms lets it over discharge.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Yeah but I'm running user grade hardware so it's not even a DNS thing, it's my lovely router buckling under port scans.

With how popular SD is I think the the site is kinda redundant anyway. I could actually host it for cheap, but I think we're doing just fine.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I want an OLED deck, but I can’t really justify getting it unless I can trade in my current system towards one. It would be an easier decision if they also bumped up the graphics processing capabilities, but as it stands, it’s still basically two year-old hardware that’s probably on the cusp of being replaced in another year or two.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pretty sure valve said on the record to not expect a performance boost for the next few years.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They also said no new model just months ago and now this. They’ll say anything to close a sale.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey as long as PC developers can create an optimized-for-deck build for their gahahahahaha there's no way most of them would bother. "Our latest Call of Duty release is 200gb! Deal with it!"

:negative:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m in the wait list for the “Steam Deck beta” for some game, so some developers are doing it sort of?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vegetable posted:

They also said no new model just months ago and now this. They’ll say anything to close a sale.

In the interview I watched a few months ago they said there is a possibility of a refresh but it wouldn’t have a performance boost, which is exactly what happened.

Afaik the barrier right now is battery tech more than anything.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think the Pro will likely have a practical performance improvement from reduced thermal throttling, no? The node shrink and better cooling seem like they’d provide that.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I think the Pro will likely have a practical performance improvement from reduced thermal throttling, no? The node shrink and better cooling seem like they’d provide that.

Digital Foundry says the thermals plus mildly faster memory transfer speeds amounted to an on-average 5% performance increase.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The Deck being a popular-ish platform that presents a fixed hardware performance target for developers is one of its main selling points. Valve would be foolish to throw that away so quickly by immediately releasing a high-performance variant.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Left 4 Deck 2

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sapozhnik posted:

The Deck being a popular-ish platform that presents a fixed hardware performance target for developers is one of its main selling points. Valve would be foolish to throw that away so quickly by immediately releasing a high-performance variant.

I think the Deck 2 will be an extremely compelling product, especially with the pace of software development from Valve

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jokes posted:

I think the Deck 2 will be an extremely compelling product, especially with the pace of software development from Valve

can’t wait until they ship HL3 but it only works on Deck 2

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We all know it's hl 1 and 2 remastered in unity

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

valve is gonna get wrecked by those install fees :v:

I will say that one thing that would completely sell me on the Steam Deck OLED would be if the thing isn't a jet engine. The Steam Deck on the windows side is kind of loud unless you use that fan controller program someone made which will get you banned by anticheat and the Ally at this point is also super loud. I ran MW3 on my Ally last night and besides the fact that the thing was going to light on fire in my hands (was hitting 94c), it was loud as all get out. Not as much of an issue if you have headphons but I also don't want my wife to kill me

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Cutedge posted:

valve is gonna get wrecked by those install fees :v:

I will say that one thing that would completely sell me on the Steam Deck OLED would be if the thing isn't a jet engine. The Steam Deck on the windows side is kind of loud unless you use that fan controller program someone made which will get you banned by anticheat and the Ally at this point is also super loud. I ran MW3 on my Ally last night and besides the fact that the thing was going to light on fire in my hands (was hitting 94c), it was loud as all get out. Not as much of an issue if you have headphons but I also don't want my wife to kill me

Word is due to the OLED having better thermals, less power usage, and a larger fan (so it can spin slower), it is quieter. Quieter doesn't mean it's not still a jet engine though, I don't think I've seen any hard numbers.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

is there any real alternative to amds rdna as a hardware platform? i can't imagine a new steam deck until rdna 5, the generational uplift from 2-3 was underwhelming to say the least

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oled looks loving sick but I'm fine with just using my current deck until a proper successor is released down the road. It's cool to have options though, especially for new buyers.

It's wild to me that people have been clamoring for a higher performance model since like a week after release. Not even 2 years ago a fully portable gaming PC at a very affordable price point seemed like Sci Fi poo poo. It still kind of does. I'm still kind of blown away by what my Steam Deck is capable of. it still feels new to me. Can't think of a single time I have found myself wishing I could buy a new one. I'd rather use this thing until it feels old and I can be blown away again by a significant upgrade a few years from now.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I almost never notice the fan on my Deck but I am also not playing anything to push it, I suppose

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Pushing it is counterproductive on a handheld anyway because then you eat through the battery.

I like playing dumb little games like Brotato on it, at 40hz, for hours on end (or until my hands start cramping tbqh)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

spaceblancmange posted:

is there any real alternative to amds rdna as a hardware platform? i can't imagine a new steam deck until rdna 5, the generational uplift from 2-3 was underwhelming to say the least

Not in this space, ARM has decent options but Valve is extremely dedicated to X86. Nvidia won’t ever release open source Linux drivers and Intel lmao.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Ran into this issue earlier tonight - a perfectly fine MicroSD card that was working fine earlier suddenly isn't mounting. Any idea of how to repair the card, if only so that I can quickly copy over save files? I (probably foolishly) had my EmuDeck installation and all my games on the card, as well as the save files, otherwise I'd just reformat it, no problem.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

can you post the output of dmesg (or the alternate command it suggests when you do that)? will help narrow it down

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

can you post the output of dmesg (or the alternate command it suggests when you do that)? will help narrow it down

Sure, here it is. Thanks for taking a stab at it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Sure, here it is. Thanks for taking a stab at it.

looks like there’s some filesystem corruption (at least one piece, but I think it stops after the first error and the location is early in the FS)

I’m on my phone, but if you google for “fsck steam deck sd card” someone will show the steps for running a filesystem check on your sd card. you might end up losing some files, but you should at least be able to get the rest off if you want

and then I would replace the sd card

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That looks hosed to me, its really formatted ext4? Try fsck but I wouldn't count on it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Deck has always used ext4 for SD card, no?

losing inode #8 is not a good sign though, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

By default but some people format their sd cards exfat or btrfs and fix their fstabs which doesn't survive updates, just making sure thats not whats going on here because it looks like it got blown away