Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Have you tried those enchroma glasses, out of curiosity? They don't work for all types of colourblindness but I think they have specific ones for deuteranopia, a friend of mine has it as well and had good results with them. Not for everyday wear but for enhancing some stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fishstick posted:

Have you tried those enchroma glasses, out of curiosity? They don't work for all types of colourblindness but I think they have specific ones for deuteranopia, a friend of mine has it as well and had good results with them. Not for everyday wear but for enhancing some stuff.

I haven't but colourblindness is literally caused by lacking colour receptors in your eyes, so you can't fix it with glasses, you could conceivably get ones that hypersaturate the image or shift more of the image into the range you can see, but it would be like wearing a bunch of mirrors on your head to make up for missing an eye, you still only have the same physical sensory range, you're at best trying to cram more information into it.

Be positive about it IMO, they pay people a lot of money to colour correct movies and I've got it built in. Also built in anti aliasing too.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I'm bisexual. Any hole is a goal but I might actually punch someone for a "Hurr hurr hurr. You wanna gently caress cooking supplies." joke. And I think its a nicer sounding word. Sometimes I opt for "queer" instead depending on the crowd.

That flag really is horrible though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

There's a lot of images like this around on the internet that I am told are supposed to look different and usually when I show them people go "wtf it looks like that to you" and I... assume that there is something surprising? To me they are both the same picture, but apparently one of them includes colour ranges I can't see.

The one on the left smells like grass, the one on the right smells like hay :)

You want a weird brain thing *rolls up sleeves* well then... I have a photographic memory, one of the ways this manifests is that I see and read blocks of words. If I see word like W O R D then my brain can’t process it. But that’s not the biggest issue I have, and that’s that I can barely count. Maths is just absolutely incomprehensible to me, if you asked me to do five x twenty three without a calculator then I’m going to cry.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

OwlFancier posted:

There's a lot of images like this around on the internet that I am told are supposed to look different and usually when I show them people go "wtf it looks like that to you" and I... assume that there is something surprising? To me they are both the same picture, but apparently one of them includes colour ranges I can't see.
Yeah, there definitely is one. Imagine there was a visual difference between healthy grass and dried-out grass that you could immediately tell just by the color of what you're looking at. That's basically what you're missing here from my own perspective.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

OwlFancier posted:

One of the fun things in the modern day is simple hue shifting. The only information you were really missing from the original image was the field in the background on the right, but shifting everything into blue should make it more clear?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It made it blue, yep. That's blue all right, know it anywhere.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, the difference between blue and brown is very noticeable. One is brown, you see, and the other is blue. Very obvious.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Fishstick posted:

They do not work for deuteranopia, which is the complete absence of the green color sense. It's often lumped together with deuteranomaly, in which the green color sense exists, but is reduced or dysfunctional in some sense, which is far more common. Enchroma glasses specifically are designed to dull the overlap spectrum and make green wavelengths more visible, which only works if you are able to percieve them in the first place.

There's also a thing called contrast-enhancing lenses, which split red/green colors across a broader spectrum, letting you more easily distinguish between the two if you're lacking one sense, but to my knowledge Enchroma doesn't produce those.

E: To take that image as an example:

If you had a deuteranomaly, you might see the middle picture, and Enchroma glasses would dull out some of the red shades, letting you see that some of the grass is actually green! This is what happens to those people you see losing their poo poo in Youtube videos; they've always been able to see green colors, but the vast majority of them are drowned out by other light because their eyes don't filter light quite the same as yours or mine.

If you had deuteranopia, those images will always be the same, but hue shifting/contrast enhancing would let you see that there's a difference between the grass in the foreground and the grass in the background (light and dark blue in this case). This could certainly be useful if it's a thing you need to know, but it's not quite as mind-blowing. You're just seeing colors with which you're already familiar.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Mar 23, 2021

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

This tree have only got one ball.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RatHat posted:

Wouldn't this actually make sense due to how a family tree works? At a certain point almost everyone is an ancestor to everyone currently living. Like how they say Genghis khan is the ancestor of like half of humanity.

Squidster posted:

This is loosely the plot of the comic Spirit Circle. Two souls gets caught up in eternal hatred, and ruin each other every time their incarnations meet. The protagonist knows that for whatever reason, this is their final incarnation; either they accept each other, or destroy each other so utterly that nothing will remain.

He's trying to untangle generations of murdered selves, and broker some kind of peace.

Bit late but this is kind of the concept of wyrd in the deverry cycle

Splicer has a new favorite as of 11:58 on Mar 23, 2021

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

OwlFancier posted:

That is such a depressing way to see the wide green world constantly holy cow I’m so sorry

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So back on the thread's supposed topic: noted idiot Lowtax has been banned from another social media website.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Said notable website being this one. Just in case anyone thought the rest of the world actually still cared.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

goblin week posted:

That is such a depressing way to see the wide green world constantly holy cow I’m so sorry

If it helps, other colorblind people see everything in cyberpunk colors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW2NVBvI9TA

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did he send pictures of dog penis to random women who disagreed with him again?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Skulk Hogan posted:

I'm bisexual. Any hole is a goal but I might actually punch someone for a "Hurr hurr hurr. You wanna gently caress cooking supplies." joke. And I think its a nicer sounding word. Sometimes I opt for "queer" instead depending on the crowd.

That flag really is horrible though.

I was going to say it's odd/funny how "bi" has basically switched meanings since the 90s, apparently. Back then it was like a crazy "whhoooooaaa you got NO LIMITS" kind of thing, like in that Henry Rollins routine where he talks about that "bisexual" magazine "Anything That Moves" and likens it to walking into a bar and going "mmmmmallright" at the smorgasbord laid out before you. Whereas now it actually sounds limiting in a way

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Whereas now it actually sounds limiting in a way
Which kinda sucks, honestly, because I don't feel like I've changed as a person, but people would judge me differently just for thinking of myself in the same terms I always have.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

toanoradian posted:

This tree have only got one ball.

The other is in the Albert Hall

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Cardiovorax posted:

Gotta agree, the bi flag is depressingly bland. The gay pride flag feels weirdly more inclusive of LGBT people in general, because it really brings that message of "people of all stripes" across.

When I thought I was bi/pan I also pretty much picked the pan for the MUCH better flag, I also hate my current (lesbian) flag, idk why they have to be so drat ugly. Im not sure they're the worst flags but they're up there

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bismuth posted:

When I thought I was bi/pan I also pretty much picked the pan for the MUCH better flag, I also hate my current (lesbian) flag, idk why they have to be so drat ugly. Im not sure they're the worst flags but they're up there
Seriously, orange and purple/magenta just don't mix. What is the point of being gay if you have no color coordination sense at all?

Kidding aside, I genuinely have no idea who came up with those. I wish they hadn't, though. Also, high-five kinda-maybe-bi-but-just-doesn't-care-enough-to-be-invested-in-it-person buddy? Maybe? Ah, I think you know the feeling, eh? It's... ah, gently caress it. Like no matter what you say, someone is going to be upset because it's not exactly right, you know?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Sexuality is so complex and nuanced that a mere flag can’t convey it, which is why we clearly need to adapt ye olde forum signature Geek Codes but for sex and gender.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

It made it blue, yep. That's blue all right, know it anywhere.
Understood, tacked on a different take:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Last one is how Achromatopsia looks like, btw. No joke.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Cardiovorax posted:

Seriously, orange and purple/magenta just don't mix. What is the point of being gay if you have no color coordination sense at all?

Kidding aside, I genuinely have no idea who came up with those. I wish they hadn't, though. Also, high-five kinda-maybe-bi-but-just-doesn't-care-enough-to-be-invested-in-it-person buddy? Maybe? Ah, I think you know the feeling, eh? It's... ah, gently caress it. Like no matter what you say, someone is going to be upset because it's not exactly right, you know?

Kinda? I more realized that i found men attractive in an asthetic way, and some of their personalities, but really didnt like the idea of like...touching one. Idk what that sexuality counts as so I go les, but UGH that flag. I also think "lesbian" is a clunky word, not nearly as snappy as "gay" or even "queer". Im about the one-syllable words

I think the les flag looks like various shades of dried blood/stains, which is cool/thematic in theory but gross in practice

Need a flag revolt imo, i never see teal

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Last one is how Achromatopsia looks like, btw. No joke.
Well, yeah, there are partial forms of color-blindness and there are full-on forms of color-blindness.

Pretty sure the fully color-blind don't generally get the benefit of internet randos deliberately messing with color balance in PS to increase monochrome contrast, though

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's a color blindness simulator that shows how people with various forms of color blindness see an image.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bismuth posted:

I think the les flag looks like various shades of dried blood/stains, which is cool/thematic in theory but gross in practice
...ew. Like, I have my red wings, but ew.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Cardiovorax posted:

...ew. Like, I have my red wings, but ew.

To each his own but :barf:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bismuth posted:

To each his own but :barf:
No disagreement there, girl. Again, ew.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bismuth posted:

Kinda? I more realized that i found men attractive in an asthetic way, and some of their personalities, but really didnt like the idea of like...touching one. Idk what that sexuality counts as so I go les, but UGH that flag. I also think "lesbian" is a clunky word, not nearly as snappy as "gay" or even "queer". Im about the one-syllable words

Still thinking about that Henry Rollins bit because it's germane:

quote:

I’ve noticed that women who dig women are given the weird strange lesbian name. Lesbian. That's weird cuz like all the other classifications are adjectives. Gay, adjective. Straight, adjective. Lesbian ... kind of sticky, mucous membrane noun. Kind of could be a rare and obscure South African arboreal tree frog that only comes down form the triple canopy jungle foliage to mate and hatch the eggs and then die. "The lesbians mate during the rainy season. The female carries the eggs on her back and is fertilized by the male. She goes back up into the tree and waits. Her babies are hatched and then the lesbian dies." It just sounds icky. And it must be a man coming up with the name for women who dig women. A man who is mad at a woman who has no need for his dick.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
trans flag is the worst; I'm a grown man and while i actively disagree with and therefore ignore many standards of "masculinity" i still don't want to wear a pastel blue and baby pink striped flag that literally looks like a baby shower decoration

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I honestly thought it was going to be more anti-vaxxers but it's SO many people going "OMG get vaccinated, here's diabetes!"

I do appreciate the people responding to them "It's one donut dude calm down"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

InediblePenguin posted:

trans flag is the worst; I'm a grown man and while i actively disagree with and therefore ignore many standards of "masculinity" i still don't want to wear a pastel blue and baby pink striped flag that literally looks like a baby shower decoration

Just guessing but I feel like that's kind of the point, it's supposed to make us confront our inherited associations and hangups about certain colors being "masculine" or "feminine" or "baby" or "grown-up"

Someone somewhere along the line was surely all "did u know that pink was once considered a very manly color"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

InediblePenguin posted:

It's Easter, the best time to wave the trans flag.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's not even pink, though. That salmon if I've ever seen it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Data Graham posted:

Still thinking about that Henry Rollins bit because it's germane:
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/residents-of-greek-island-lesbos-want-to-be-known-as-lesbians-1.919630

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Data Graham posted:

Just guessing but I feel like that's kind of the point, it's supposed to make us confront our inherited associations and hangups about certain colors being "masculine" or "feminine" or "baby" or "grown-up"

Someone somewhere along the line was surely all "did u know that pink was once considered a very manly color"

i know, i just still think it's loving ugly and while others may find it empowering or useful i find it vaguely infantilizing personally, shrug emoji. best part is that literally every time i express it somebody points out to me that not liking baby pastels is toxic masculinity haha. i do actually love pastels and wear pink often but the specific trans pride flag looks like a baby shower accessory which i do not want to wear

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I did by chance once see a 'military-style' trans flag that darkened its colors and looked surprisingly good, although they turned the pink into kind of a maroon, which I didn't like. I think the pink is very important to the trans flag's meaning.

I've always personally liked how soft the trans flag's colors are, just because it makes trans people themselves feel very friendly (which, as one, I can say is mostly true). Maybe not a good thing in every single situation, but I do feel like it's a positive when dealing with transphobes. Gives them more of a 'looks like they're railing against the Care Bears' vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

InediblePenguin posted:

i know, i just still think it's loving ugly and while others may find it empowering or useful i find it vaguely infantilizing personally, shrug emoji. best part is that literally every time i express it somebody points out to me that not liking baby pastels is toxic masculinity haha. i do actually love pastels and wear pink often but the specific trans pride flag looks like a baby shower accessory which i do not want to wear
yeah how about a trans pride flag for adults?? with strong, historical tones!?