Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Check out this awesome poster for Women's Wrongs month at C&D Movie Nite!

Thanks to the artist, a long-time 'fiend' of Movie Nites!

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Check out this awesome poster for Women's Wrongs month at C&D Movie Nite!

Thanks to the artist, a long-time 'fiend' of Movie Nites!

:prepop:

BoldFrankensteinMir

Let's give noir a tiny break and watch something fun tonight, it's a 1992 dark comedy with Karen Black and Pat Morita called Auntie Lee's Meat Pies!

I know nothing of this except it kind of seems like a Sweeney Todd sorta deal? That and the director, Joseph F Robertson, directed Debbie Does Dallas III under a pseudonym, so, that's promising!

4pm PST 7pm EST at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

Prof. Crocodile

It has Pat Morita and Michael Berryman, so it's probably a period drama.

DeadMansSuspenders

I wanna be your left hand man

I actually bought this movie blind at a Black Friday sale last year. It's not quite what I expected but it's fun! All I will say is that some of the rooms in the house have interesting decor.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight's movie is Wicked Woman from 1953!

https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies starting right now!!!

Sig by Heather Papps

Prof. Crocodile

showing her calf AND her ankle!? she must be wicked indeed.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Prof. Crocodile posted:

showing her calf AND her ankle!? she must be wicked indeed.

You don't know the half of it!

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
That gross old man shoulda had a bathtub fall on him at the end. What a gross little old man.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

That gross old man shoulda had a bathtub fall on him at the end. What a gross little old man.

More like Licked Woman. yuk

teen witch
I don’t know what’s going on, but I know *I* may have a film, somewhere to watch

and I guess I can share it with the class as well.

would anyone want to watch “to die for”? It fits women’s wrongs most assuredly

e: I'll see whats what until fifteen past. if it's quiet, i'll leave, but if other want to, perhaps, watch this, sure, lets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSz13CIyX7M

teen witch fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 22, 2023

Saoshyant

Tonight, it's anarchy!

"Nicole Kidman's breakthrough film, indie director Gus Van Sant's tragic-comic tale of Suzanne Stone (Nicole Kidman) a fame obsessed housewife who seduces three teenagers to get rid of her husband (Matt Dillon.) To Die For is directed in a pseudo-documentary style with some of the characters telling their story to the camera."

Saoshyant

Our esteemed BFM is still MIA, so anarchy reigns once again.

We are going to watch Rebecca by Alfred Hitchcock

Come join us in Cytube now

As per this month's theme,
"Anderson's Mrs. Danvers nabbed the actress a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination, and still stands as one of Hitchcock's most famous villains"
--from Esquire.com

Prof. Crocodile

Saoshyant posted:

Our esteemed BFM is still MIA, so anarchy reigns once again.

We are going to watch Rebecca by Alfred Hitchcock

Come join us in Cytube now

As per this month's theme,
"Anderson's Mrs. Danvers nabbed the actress a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination, and still stands as one of Hitchcock's most famous villains"
--from Esquire.com

do they pronounce it 'rebecker'?

Saoshyant

"To Die For", Nicole Kidman's film, was astonishing on how evil a person can be when they truly believe the ends justify the means. You can't but love the ending when justice is served and it's just three minutes of a secondary character skating over the ice. A dark comedy, a tragic tale, it showcased the hollowness in the fame obsessed and did it in an entertaining way. Kidman rocked in this role.

"Rebecca" was a slow burn in comparison. Our protagonist is such a push-over that no one even knows her first name (a brilliant touch), and every woman in her life is just absolutely awful to her. There was Edyth, the extremely unpleasant (and always horny) lady who was the boss of our protagonist, berating her at every turn. Then there was also the best supporting actress, Mrs Danvers, the household head maid, who gaslights and manipulates that poor sap of a protagonist until she has a breakdown. And finally, the titular character, Rebecca
whose invisible presence throughout this massive two hours film dictated everyone's actions. Suspense, mystery, great acting, brilliant direction.

This has been a great month overall!

Saoshyant

Tomorrow, the end of Women's Wrongs month. I have a suggestion in case no one comes forward with another title to watch:

The Woman in the Window is a surreal, noirish crime drama about some boring sap who thinks there's no adventure left in life, until he falls in love with a portrait of a woman and is drawn to a plot he may live to regret. It's by Fritz Lang, the director of Metropolis we have watched before.

Whatever we do end up watching will be this Saturday at 4pm PT / 7pm ET / 23:00 UTC, on https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 29, 2023

Saoshyant

Mani got us some shorts, too, so we should be able to start half an hour earlier with extra content. See you there

Manifisto

the woman in the window was fun! despite an ending that, ah, well I don't want to spoil it but it's certainly an ending . . .

for those who have seen it (this is absolutely a spoiler), some interesting tidbits from wikipedia:

According to some sources,[which?] Lang substituted the film's dream ending in place of the originally scripted suicide ending to conform with the moralistic Production Code of the time. However, Lang claimed that it was his idea when asked directly in an interview.[4]

The term "film noir" originated as a genre description in part because of The Woman in the Window.[5]

this month has worked out well, we've seen some pretty great flicks, thanks to everyone who has contributed!

ty nesamdoom!

Saoshyant

Reviewing the plot in my head as I woke up today (what, your mind isn't weird like that too?) I realized that ending was setup all along. Our poor sap of a protagonist just kept on stepping on every rake he could, while conveniently being taken to the crime scene multiple times by his cop friends, and at no point does anyone do any logical deduction to land on the culprit. Meanwhile, every other moment is surreal as hell in hindsight, including many moments we don't see people's faces clearly and others where certain faces are focused for way too long.

I had seen a couple reviews describing the film as being surreal and having a very controversial ending, but after watching it, I think it was fitting and intended all along. And it being one of the first examples of this sort of ending that eventually became such a cliché that make people groan these days, it's kind of amazing. History in the making.

And that brings us back to that documentary we also watched about the "femme fatale" archetype, that one of the interpretations is that the lady in question brings ruin to law abiding boring citizens like our professor protagonist. It fit the description to a T for the character played by Joan Bennett, even if she was unwillingly the cause of all that transpired just by popping up and inviting the professor for a drink and to watch some sketch drawings.

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I feel like we've barely scratched the surface of this month's theme but everything we've watched was stellar.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Hey all, sorry to just disappear on ya but I had to jump on stuff for work and I've just been burnt out on like, everything else. Thank you for continuing this awesome theme month without me!

I'm gonna take another week and see how I'm feeling then, in the meantime I hope y'all enjoy the show!

Sig by Heather Papps

sb hermit

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Hey all, sorry to just disappear on ya but I had to jump on stuff for work and I've just been burnt out on like, everything else. Thank you for continuing this awesome theme month without me!

I'm gonna take another week and see how I'm feeling then, in the meantime I hope y'all enjoy the show!

:ohdearsass: be well, maybe share a drink with coupon crab and the crew. I'll drink to your health. :cheersbird:

BoldFrankensteinMir

*takes off glasses* My God. What has happened to movie nites!?

Nah everything's cool, I just had to take a work trip that kicked. my. buttocks. for a couple weeks, meanwhile sounds like y'all have been having fun watching movies and I am glad to hear it!

What are you in the mood for tonight, something good, something bad, something absolutely dreadful? I can think of titles for each. We'll ease back into this.

Sig by Heather Papps

Buttchocks

*hastily hides an empty beer keg, a dozen togas, and half a laser-disc player*
Nothing happened while you were gone what are you taking about.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Buttchocks posted:

*hastily hides an empty beer keg, a dozen togas, and half a laser-disc player*
Nothing happened while you were gone what are you taking about.

Dude nice LD, it's hard to find ones that play half-a-laser-discs, that format didn't last long.

Sig by Heather Papps

Saoshyant

I vote for something good. Are we having a theme for the rest of May?

BoldFrankensteinMir

Saoshyant posted:

I vote for something good. Are we having a theme for the rest of May?

I don't think so, because I am going to TRY and do the awards show while it's still technically spring and we'll need all the attention-bandwidth we can scrape together for that. Let's just watch poo poo we want to watch.

There's a version of Kuky se vraci, a Czech puppet movie I've mentioned before, on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km1hUOsntZc

It does throw some restrictions though:

Sig by Heather Papps

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I've been wanting to watch Ivan Vasilievich Changes Profession at some point if we want to throw this in the list

BoldFrankensteinMir

Leraika posted:

I've been wanting to watch Ivan Vasilievich Changes Profession at some point if we want to throw this in the list

Ooh heck yeah that does look good! I'm seconding this one, I'll give it another hour and if nothing else gets three votes we'll do it!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight! It's a 1973 Soviet scifi I'm really looking forward to now that I actually look at it: Ivan Vasilyevich Changes His Profession

Thank you Leraika for picking this extremely cool looking movie! 4pm PDT 7pm EDT at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Edit- Timezooooooones!!! :argh:

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 10, 2023

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight... oh dear friends tonight the balance must be restored. For the last movie we watched was great, and that means... oh no...

Tonight we watch one of my all-time least favorite films, 2007's Bratz Super Babyz:

Nothing I tell you about this film can possibly prepare you, except maybe to warn anybody who absolutely needs potatoes as a part of their diet to stay away, this movie could quite possibly ruin potatoes for you. It has ruination power far beyond what you expect from a cruddy CGI toy tie-in DVD sold as an impulse buy. It is a true example of

4pm PDT 7pm EDT 23:00 UTC at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Edit- :argh:argh::TIIMEEZOOO:argh::argh:

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 13, 2023

Sig by Heather Papps

Saoshyant

:eyepop:

:catstare:

Manifisto

ty nesamdoom!

Buttchocks

The lives of billions of generations of species now long extinct culminated in the creation of *checks notes* Bratz Super Babyz

BoldFrankensteinMir

I would like to point out how much history is in the Bratz Super Babyz logo, there's the main franchise halo over Bratz, which is fascinating all to itself.

Then there's the bobby pin over Babyz, because of the Bratz Babyz line. Edit- and yes, there is a Bratz Babyz movie, why would you ever doubt that such a thing existed?-Edit

But this is Bratz Super Babyz which is not high enough up the ladder of properties to have its own logo, so it gets a grocery store star and a trip to Fontly.

Bratz Super Babyz. Even the graphic design elements warned you.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 13, 2023

Sig by Heather Papps

Plant MONSTER.

gently caress off. I was gonna play zelda after this crazy mother's day weekend but I cannot pass off Bratz Babyz.

Plant MONSTER.

I will however, relegate the film to the bad, broken screen

Saoshyant

I'm pretty sure what we just endured violated the Geneva Convention in more ways than one. We'll never be the same again.

Saoshyant

Rot in hell, BFM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Saoshyant posted:

Rot in hell, BFM!

I'm so glad you liked it! Mwa! Kisses to all!

Sig by Heather Papps