Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Almost 30% of the young vote going to "others" feels weird; you'd think at least some of these parties would be worthy of mention. Unless the graph only shows parties that got MEPs in the election I guess.

DiEM in Greece might not get the one seat after all, at 96.67% of the vote reporting, they are a 2.99% and so just a handful of votes under the 3% threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

YF-23 posted:

Almost 30% of the young vote going to "others" feels weird; you'd think at least some of these parties would be worthy of mention. Unless the graph only shows parties that got MEPs in the election I guess.

DiEM in Greece might not get the one seat after all, at 96.67% of the vote reporting, they are a 2.99% and so just a handful of votes under the 3% threshold.

I would guess yes, the threshold in france was 5 %

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

YF-23 posted:

MEPs only, yeah. Overall ~20% of the vote went to parties under threshold.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kassad posted:

For the sake of comparison, here's a map of median earnings per household in Paris in 2011 (blue = higher, red = lower):

Tl;DR: Macron's the president of the rich.

I'm the blue dick and balls on the left

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

belgian newspaper de tijd has done some analysis based on what type of municipality voted for what party - they took the profile of the 50 municipalities where [party] had best results. the dotted lines are the 2014 profile for that party

brown: extreme right vlaams belang
red: soc-dem sp.a
blue: liberals vld - mostly thatcherian rightwingers, but it's a big tent, there is a small, more redistributionist faction in there, but overall is the party of "more tax cuts".
yellow: nv-a - "concerned about migration and reducing the welfare state budget deficit" rightwingers and vlaams belang enablers
green: greens - leftwing but within a free market framework.
orange: christian democrats - "centre" right

I'm assuming that the pvda isn't there because they didn't succeed in acquiring any seats last time.

average taxable income: low income <---> high income

number of population with a migrant background: few migrants <--->many migrants

and population density: low density <---> high density

double nine fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 28, 2019

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

YF-23 posted:

Good. Varoufakis is narcissistic sociopath who tried to engineer Grexit so he should have as little political influence as possible. And the fact that Sakorafa was opposed to a deal when the alternative was an economic and societal collapse for Greece similar to that experienced by other Balkan states when communism fell shows that she shouldn't be in the European Parliament.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Pinterest Mom posted:

MEPs only, yeah. Overall ~20% of the vote went to parties under threshold.

Do parties in France do coalitions in the EP election to pool their votes and increase their chances to get seats?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Factor_VIII posted:

Good. Varoufakis is narcissistic sociopath who tried to engineer Grexit so he should have as little political influence as possible. And the fact that Sakorafa was opposed to a deal when the alternative was an economic and societal collapse for Greece similar to that experienced by other Balkan states when communism fell shows that she shouldn't be in the European Parliament.

I think that's massively uncharitable. We can agree that the EU, and the Eurozone, are broken. We have seen that not addressing these problems has not been good for anyone, and any progress made within that broken framework is so lacking that SYRIZA got hosed over in the Euroelections for it. Varoufakis saw that in '15, and in his position at that time wasn't really able to affect that change; so the question of Grexit vs the stagnation that we got was a real one. So he's done a good thing by switching gears from national to European politics, because that is the more critical component of the European economy that needs fixing.

And I realise that I'm going to the other end and being massively charitable here; but at the end of the day, even if you think he's a narcissistic son of a bitch that wants to be in the spotlight more than anything else, he is still the only one talking about the actual problems of the EU.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Slashrat posted:

Do parties in France do coalitions in the EP election to pool their votes and increase their chances to get seats?

Yeah, the four parties right below the cutoff all had failed negotiations to present joint lists with other parties.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

YF-23 posted:

I think that's massively uncharitable. We can agree that the EU, and the Eurozone, are broken.

Literally every country in the Eurozone has had good growth for the past few years except for Greece. The Eurozone is much healthier than you give it credit and it does have improved since the 2010 crisis thanks to new institutions such as the ESM. Problems do still exist but I really don't think that Varoufakis is the man who can diagnose them or propose a coherent solution. After all, the other EU finance ministers have said that in Eurogroup meetings Varoufakis would just keep on lecturing them on economics as if they were undergraduate students instead of actually discussing anything of substance or trying to come up with practical solutions. And let's not forget that his 'solution' for Greece would have led to a massive humanitarian crisis; the other EU member states were literally preparing to start sending emergency shipments of food and drugs to Greece if Grexit happened. I wouldn't trust Varoufakis to try and solve anything.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I never knew until now that Schauble was a goon all along.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Factor_VIII posted:

After all, the other EU finance ministers have said that in Eurogroup meetings Varoufakis would just keep on lecturing them on economics as if they were undergraduate students instead of actually discussing anything of substance or trying to come up with practical solutions.

Well yeah. The other finance ministers are all saying "the Mont Pelerin Scrolls say that if all the money of the entire world is fully concentrated in the hands of one single person, then trickle-down will become real, so we need more austerity to make this scenario a reality so the theories on which we have based our policies for the last 40 years will not be failures" and so Varoufakis was teaching them why they're wrong.

The first step to coming up with a solution is to understand what causes the problem in the first place. And the problems are that:
  • The euro is an aberration as a currency
  • Austerity is an aberration as a policy

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

Well yeah. The other finance ministers are all saying "the Mont Pelerin Scrolls say that if all the money of the entire world is fully concentrated in the hands of one single person, then trickle-down will become real, so we need more austerity to make this scenario a reality so the theories on which we have based our policies for the last 40 years will not be failures" and so Varoufakis was teaching them why they're wrong.

Yeah, I'm sure that that's exactly what every finance minister believes.

By the way, how do you propose addressing a 15.4% budget deficit for a country that can no longer borrow money? By printing money?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Cat Mattress posted:

The first step to coming up with a solution is to understand what causes the problem in the first place. And the problems are that:
  • The euro is an aberration as a currency
  • Austerity is an aberration as a policy

And don't forget about " we know our whole economic policy is based around a paper with basic math and excel errors, but stop lecturing us, we know how things work in the real world"

Of course, they are right.they know how things work in the real world, because the real world is broken, like their brains.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Factor_VIII posted:

By the way, how do you propose addressing a 15.4% budget deficit for a country that can no longer borrow money? By printing money?

Depends.are guillotines an option?
If not, maybe we can start by identifying the root cause of the problem, and not fall for dumb propaganda like "the problem is public deficit."
Maybe we can,as a people , recognize we were duped by these motherfuckers, and as a punishment they should have all their assets striped and used as a kind of repayment and financing of poor countries destroyed by them.

Or we can keep doing QE until the end of time, that's basically what we all silently agreed on.its the most stupid option though.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Factor_VIII posted:

A sensible first step could be to forgive the debt whose interest is a massive part of that deficit, and/or don't destroy the country through austerity afterwards.

Also some actual financial market oversight preventing bullshit bonds and speculation /repackaging of toxic assets like Greek debt so the situation can't occur again.

Finally, split the euro so that the Southern economies can be freer to get their economies going again. The unified monetary union has been massively destructive even outside of the awful unelected ECB determining policy.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

I never knew until now that Schauble was a goon all along.

Never seen GaussianCopula post here?

Anyway, austerity is always bad, the banks that lent Greece money should have been forced to carry far more of the damage of Greece's insolvency than they did in the event, but Greece's public finances and its economy pre-2009 were a complete mess to put it mildly and therefore at least a part of Greece's austerity program was inevitable for the simple reason that it didn't have the money to maintain public spending at the level that they used to have.

The ECB should get an emploment mandate and there should be a massive Eurozone budget for countercyclical fiscal policy since, let's face it, there is absolutely no way anyone in Europe is going to leave the euro because that is as good as practically impossible to accomplish in a democratic manner.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Or we can keep doing QE until the end of time, that's basically what we all silently agreed on.its the most stupid option though.
You don't think that reckless borrowing is a problem? It takes two to tango after all. The ECB QE program ended last December by the way.

Osmosisch posted:

A sensible first step could be to forgive the debt whose interest is a massive part of that deficit, and/or don't destroy the country through austerity afterwards.
Debt restructuring needs to be part of a solution, which is what happened to Greece, but you also need to keep huge deficits from occurring.

Osmosisch posted:

Finally, split the euro so that the Southern economies can be freer to get their economies going again. The unified monetary union has been massively destructive even outside of the awful unelected ECB determining policy.
A weak currency with high inflation and high interest rates wouldn't help any economy. All the southern economies other than the Greek one are already recovering and the Greek economy had also started to recover in 2014 until SYRIZA came along and wrecked it. You're offering a bad solution to a problem that already got addressed. And central bank independence is useful; it prevents things such as governments printing money before an election in order to make people feel wealthier and thus more likely to vote for the incumbent.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Factor_VIII posted:

You don't think that reckless borrowing is a problem? It takes two to tango after all. The ECB QE program ended last December by the way.

Debt restructuring needs to be part of a solution, which is what happened to Greece, but you also need to keep huge deficits from occurring.

A weak currency with high inflation and high interest rates wouldn't help any economy. All the southern economies other than the Greek one are already recovering and the Greek economy had also started to recover in 2014 until SYRIZA came along and wrecked it. You're offering a bad solution to a problem that already got addressed. And central bank independence is useful; it prevents things such as governments printing money before an election in order to make people feel wealthier and thus more likely to vote for the incumbent.

oh, you sweet summer child.

"Today’s decision by the European Central bank has confirmed a long-awaited decision to stop increasing its asset purchases while reinvesting the repayments received from maturing bonds. In essence, the ECB is not really putting an end to QE, but rather it will stop increasing QE. In practice, the ECB will maintain the current size of its portfolio, by rolling-over the bonds: everytime a government or company reimburses, say, one million euros to the ECB, it will use the money to buy another bond of the same amount."

I think reckless lending is a much bigger problem, that should wreck the reckless lenders.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Factor_VIII posted:

You don't think that reckless borrowing is a problem?

Moral hazard I shouted as I gradually turned into a corn cob.

As you put it, you need two to tango. There's no reckless borrowing without reckless lending, and the lenders knew full well what they were doing.

Factor_VIII posted:

Which in a sane currency zone would happen through fiscal transfers, but instead the surplus nations enforced austerity on the deficit countries which dramatically ballooned the debt by shrinking the economy.

Factor_VIII posted:

A weak currency with high inflation and high interest rates wouldn't help any economy.

Eh that's very debatable. It would increase price of imports and protect domestic production, giving an uncompetitive economy like Greece and southern Italy the berth to actually recover after the initial fall. Remember they're not short on human resources, they're short on demand for them.

Factor_VIII posted:

All the southern economies other than the Greek one are already recovering and the Greek economy had also started to recover in 2014 until SYRIZA came along and wrecked it.

Yeah uh no, the thread hashed through this particular misconception in 2015 so many times that I don't think any of us would gain anything from repeating it.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Varoufakis is an economist. Sadly, he is not a monetary or trade expert, which means he lives in that Dunning-Kruger sweet spot of knowing "everything".

In any case, no one did a Grexit, especially anyone who actually had responsibility for people's lives, because it would have been a stupid, stupid idea.

In retrospect, we can see why by looking at Turkey. Turkey is actually much better situated, much cheaper internally and much more independent than Greece was at that time. And even then, with currency devaluation which would have been magnitudes worse in a Grexit, poo poo literally hit the fan and they were dealing really barely (and probably badly in the long run). And apart from being run by despots, the Turkish burocracy is at least able to implement policies.
Also, let's not forget that before the Euro, Greece was easily paying 23%+ interest. With Grexit, that would have been more, and it would have been impossible to fix that issue, mainly because Greece 2014 ain't Greece 1994.
Also, the dependence means that Greece's monetary policy would be restricted by the ECB's actions. It was the same when the Deutsche Mark existed (and this was, after all, the reason why France created the Euro). Only that it would have been much worse with the Euro.

Sure, Greece could -> eventually <- export things or whatever, but what? In the short run, the only export would be starving people.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So I have a gigantic tick on my back that is sucking all my blood. To address the situation, I decide to cut off my arms and legs, so I will need less blood to survive thanks to a smaller body mass. This will make me leaner and therefore better able to deal with the gigantic tick on my back sucking all my blood.

Austerity is the light, austerity is the way.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Let’s sell the whole country to corporations who pay no taxes and wonder why we have no income.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
And the airports to a German company. Only the profitable ones tho.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I mean, the ports were already sold to Chinese companies, so it's only fair that somebody else get a piece of that sweet sweet infrastructure pie.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Just loling at the idea that the southern economies are recovering

Same as America since 2008, the working class isn't seeing poo poo of that recovery.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

"There's nothing wrong with the EU! The southern economies are recovering!" I continue to shout as Savini and Le Pen's electoral results grow more and more

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
It's stunning to me that someone can look at what's happening in south EU and go 'look! improvement!'

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

But number go up! How can you say that things aren't really improving when number go up!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
gently caress
http://www.ekathimerini.com/241022/article/ekathimerini/news/no-mep-seat-for-diem25

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

YF-23 posted:

But number go up! How can you say that things aren't really improving when number go up!

You see, thanks to trickle down economics, when the average numbers go up it means that the effect is also perceived by the lo faaaaaart.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

YF-23 posted:

european numbers have been mostly stagnating with slight downslope the last 3 or so years lol

dax is in an especially dire situation this last year

this is despite qe continuing lmfao

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Truga posted:

european numbers have been mostly stagnating with slight downslope the last 3 or so years lol

dax is in an especially dire situation this last year

this is despite qe continuing lmfao

I mean it's lost a fair bit over the last year, but even with the losses it's gained 20% over three years to date. Unless another slide comes it's more volatile than losing, and that's with Trump starting his trade war.

Not that that helps southern europe one bit.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Interesting piece on what is going on in Greece, where SYRIZA lost significantly in the European elections and a general election will be held on July 7. However, according to this analysis, less may have changed than one might think:

quote:

One of the most popular assumptions about the May 26 elections is that it signalled the end of populism, with SYRIZA’s defeat marking the end of its stint in power (to be confirmed in the July 7 national elections). This suggests populism’s star shone briefly in Greece, nicely bookended by SYRIZA’s arrival in 2015 and its departure in 2019. It fits well with a pan-European narrative that is developing about populists either failing to make the advances that many feared/predicted or suffering the wear-and-tear that comes with being in office.

If we take the scientific definition of populism (pitting the people against an elite), then SYRIZA’s fate does suggest it rode a wave of anger into power but once the economic crisis subsided and this frustration dissipated, its populist message no longer resonated. Alexis Tsipras tried many times during the recent campaign to convince voters that they must take sides in the battle between “the many” and “the elite,” but Greeks did not seem interested in his binary view of the world.

However, in the political sense of the term, we must question whether populism in Greece either started, or has finished, with SYRIZA’s troubled reign. Populism in the everyday political discussion has come to signify the tendency to intentionally mislead or incite voters or to offer them unattainable promises in a bid to mobilise support.

If we think back to the years before the first EU-IMF programme was signed in 2010, numerous Greek governments either promised or implemented destructive policies solely on the premise they were doing so in the name of the people. This form of populism, if we apply this term, contributed to the Greek economy and public finances going off the rails.

But even when the crisis broke out, and a bailout was needed, the practice of tempting voters with magic alternatives did not cease. It is worth remembering that New Democracy, which now stands on the threshold of power, voted against the first programme (including current leader Kyriakos Mitsotakis, who later described it as a mistake) and spent the next 18 months or so raging against the government and the creditors, feeding conspiracy theories and fuelling accusations of betrayal and treachery.

Its leader at the time, Antonis Samaras, launched three times supposed economic alternatives to the EU-IMF scheme, promising a relatively painless way out of the crisis and a quick path to economic growth. In the end, within days of being appointed as the prime minister of a three-party coalition in June 2012, Samaras accepted that there was no alternative to implement the lenders’ (second) programme. Unable to target the creditors, the conservative leader turned his fire on irregular migrants, describing them as “tyrants.” Perhaps this falls more into the category of nativism than populism, but it was still an appeal to the basest instincts in the electorate.

And, while we are on the subject of stirring up anger among voters (as SYRIZA did using terribly divisive language about the government and the creditors when it was in opposition), we cannot overlook New Democracy’s more recent behaviour with regard to the Macedonia issue.

SYRIZA seemed just as focussed (if not more) on trying to create problems for its rivals by settling the longstanding diplomatic dispute as it did on actually reaching a deal with Skopje. But the centre-right party also displayed a disregard for the poison it allowed to be released into the political debate.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1133129581144055808
Communism is doing a comeback tour?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They're more like the populist left and don't openly identify as communists (let alone Maosists) these days, as evidenced by the fact that they got more than 1% of the vote.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"anything left of me is at literally communism" - (c) liberal media 1848-2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I like the cat's thousand-yard stare in animal party woman's pic.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

suck my woke dick posted:

Ahem. They're both anti-EU and pro-EU, depending who you ask at which time of day.

Which major non-retired Tory politician has been pro EU since the referendum? They're all Brexiteers now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Truga posted:

"anything left of me is at literally communism" - (c) liberal media 1848-2019

Many of the militants would probably be okay with that description, but their electoral talking points consist mostly of generic 'make the rich pay' stuff. That's why they're actually doing somewhat well. They haven't been Maoist for decades.