Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Mr Underhill posted:

Did anyone in here ever do game dev/programming twitch streams?

We've been doing art streams on our channel for close to a year now, and now our programmer wants to try and stream himself. I was wondering if there were any tips or known pitfalls you guys might be aware of, since this is going to be our first time.

I streamed game development art stuff and programming stuff for a good year or two a while back, and the whole team started streaming again as part of an Early Access promise. :v:

Can't imagine you'll run across anything too weird with program streams versus art streams other than maybe having a little more trouble attracting viewers, but on the whole just be open I suppose? I will say it helps a TON to have someone stream with you if you're doing development stuff, whether it's a friend or a fellow developer, just so there's someone to engage with the chat when you're doing something that's brain intensive. It's less of an issue with art streams since once you're in the groove doing art it can be pretty mindless (depends on the art obviously), but yeah, just have your programmer rope someone in with him or else he'll probably just have a lot of dead air, which isn't terribly engaging. Having another person also gives you someone to bounce off of for when there's not a lot of chat activity too.

retro sexual posted:

That is hella cool. I estimate by you having 200 reviews on steam that you have sold about 20K copies. (1% review rate)
Congrats again!

Hey hey! Thanks man! We're definitely not doing Guild of Dungeoneering levels of sales just yet, but we're certainly not complaining given this is our first commercial release! I expected it to go down a whole lot worse. I will say that based on that estimate though, our review rate is well over that 1% - guess we attract an opinionated crowd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

Eh, this isn't really true either, arcade games tend to have a bunch of distinct aspects like giving the player extremely little control over pacing, almost no ability to recover from mistakes, and a distinct difficulty curve that goes up a lot after the first stage. You can't play something like Metal Slug and not tell that it was made for arcades.

I've always heard it called score attack.

The term you're looking for is "phone game"

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mr Underhill posted:

Did anyone in here ever do game dev/programming twitch streams?

We've been doing art streams on our channel for close to a year now, and now our programmer wants to try and stream himself. I was wondering if there were any tips or known pitfalls you guys might be aware of, since this is going to be our first time.

I do/did some programming twitch streams. Honestly just start and see how it goes. Everyone feel differently about it I'm not sure there is tons of universal advice. Sometimes when I do a stream I talk through everything, sometimes I just work. You probably won't get hardly anyone in the stream unless someone hosts you or you do it consistently. Example of someone who dev streams often https://www.twitch.tv/williamchyr, https://www.twitch.tv/slickentertainmentinc and now has a built in audience.

IMO if you want to make it engaging:

. Use webcam
. Get a decent mic (headsets are fine)
. Set a noise gate
. Listen to music on stream if you would when developing (you'll get to learn about DCMA issues quickly)
. Capture the whole desktop (be careful on what you show of course, log out of all chat software) so if you go look something up on chrome every can see it
. Don't be afraid to be a jerk (specifically boot people from channel, ignore them, or be rude to the software your working on)
. Make sure to stream at 720p at least
. Do test streams to make sure the text is legible

When you finish Export to Youtube (or just use Restreamer.io that lets you stream to both at the same time). Take the time to occasionally watch yourself and build timecodes so you can jump back. Doing dev streams is incredibly useful in the future to figure out how you did some thing.

Seemingly my best video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQwP_sGcSFQ where I try to get CryEngine 5 working to do the most basic of things right when it released. I'm frustrated and pissed almost the entire time because CryEngine at that point was a piece of junk. I think it was useful for other to see that.

Jesse Liberty's opinion Dev Streaming

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/post/Tx2EYHK60WZEC07/what-i-ve-learned-after-three-months-of-streaming-game-dev-on-twitch

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

The term you're looking for is "phone game"

That carries a lot of pejorative connotations. "Score attack" is much more narrowly-focused and conveys the goal of a lot of classic arcade games; it's the term I'd use.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Thanks for the advice, guys. We got most of that right.

Well, I gotta say, Nicu our programmer was kinda worried that people wouldn't care etc. but he constantly had between 10 and 20 viewers, which for a small 200 followers channels such as ours is super good! That's better than I was getting earlier painting backgrounds.

And yeah, turns out he's a natural! The man talked for almost 2.5 hrs straight and it was super compelling even to people like me who don't understand the first thing about programming :munch: And we also got 3 new followers! Which I know is not a lot, but for us... it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYkRV4eSkr4

It's a little tricky streaming implementing puzzles for point and clicks 'cause, well, it kinda spoils them for people, but I figure in the long run not too many people will wade through hours of VODs so I hope that's not such a huge problem. We've got a pretty good webcam, maybe we should get another one (though at more than $100 those fuckers are expensive as poo poo). People were really nice in the chat - well, our regulars go back to almost a year when we did our Kickstarter, but new people were cool too.

So I guess all three of us devs stream now, which is good news, 'cause we have no PR person or budget to speak of, so hopefully a few people will find out about the game this way. Also, I've never looked into what you can do to get more followers, so if any of you got some tips, I'd be super thankful.

I guess the takeaway is that live streaming development can be compelling to non-programmers too, so yeah, Twitch is free, if you have a webcam and good upload, go for it, goons!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Valve just released the Steam Audio SDK, a free (but still in beta) solution for physics-based sound propagation and other 3D audio funtimes. It's currently available as a Unity package and a C API, with Unreal 4 integration being shown by Epic at GDC next week.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mr Underhill posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys. We got most of that right.

Well, I gotta say, Nicu our programmer was kinda worried that people wouldn't care etc. but he constantly had between 10 and 20 viewers, which for a small 200 followers channels such as ours is super good! That's better than I was getting earlier painting backgrounds.

And yeah, turns out he's a natural! The man talked for almost 2.5 hrs straight and it was super compelling even to people like me who don't understand the first thing about programming :munch: And we also got 3 new followers! Which I know is not a lot, but for us... it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYkRV4eSkr4

... We've got a pretty good webcam, maybe we should get another one (though at more than $100 those fuckers are expensive as poo poo). People were really nice in the chat - well, our regulars go back to almost a year when we did our Kickstarter, but new people were cool too.

Look good congrats. I don't think you need to worry about a better webcam if you always keep it as a small square. The only reason I think you'd need to upgrade your webcam would be if you did full screen camera (ex. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/121139173 at minute 11:15). But in that case having a good background/chroma key is probably more inportant than better web cam. Again congrats it went well, it can be really draining and invigorating.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Cool thanks! He streamed again today for 4 hours straight, I think he's found his calling :D I guess it's a real good fit for people who enjoy explaining things, and the streams really are compelling.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I could see it actually being quite helpful for some developers because you're basically constantly rubber-ducking your code.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
*edit* aw gently caress posted in the wrong thread

EAB fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 25, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Would anyone like a new open source C# game engine?? http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/292448/Bravely_Default_dev_to_release_its_own_game_engine_Xenko.php

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Yes.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

For what it's worth, they re-branded a while back. Used to be known as Paradox.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I have a really, really dumb set of newbie questions, and I'd appreciate any advice: I've been tooling around in RPG Maker VX Ace Lite, and it seems to be roughly the skill level I'm at, especially after I installed Unity, stared at the options and backed away - but, well, I want to know: is there something...slightly better I could be using?

All I want is a way to make something like Ossuary/SNES Final Fantasies, etc, but without the combat: a way to have my little sprites walk around and talk to others, with basic events. (so I can have them walk off-screen and such) Really dead simple stuff, especially as I'm a writer first. RPG Maker fits the bill, but again, I want to check my options. Thanks! :shobon:

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have a really, really dumb set of newbie questions, and I'd appreciate any advice: I've been tooling around in RPG Maker VX Ace Lite, and it seems to be roughly the skill level I'm at, especially after I installed Unity, stared at the options and backed away - but, well, I want to know: is there something...slightly better I could be using?

All I want is a way to make something like Ossuary/SNES Final Fantasies, etc, but without the combat: a way to have my little sprites walk around and talk to others, with basic events. (so I can have them walk off-screen and such) Really dead simple stuff, especially as I'm a writer first. RPG Maker fits the bill, but again, I want to check my options. Thanks! :shobon:

Not really? There's other 2d engines like Game Maker Studio and Clickteam Fusion, but RPG Maker is going to save you a ton of work unless you want to do more in-depth mechanical stuff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ScaryJen posted:

Not really? There's other 2d engines like Game Maker Studio and Clickteam Fusion, but RPG Maker is going to save you a ton of work unless you want to do more in-depth mechanical stuff.

Alrighty then, thank you! Now to do the hard part: making the thing.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

Alrighty then, thank you! Now to do the hard part: making the thing.

Have you looked for existing Unity solutions for RPG games? If you want something more in-depth, Unity is still one of the easiest engines out there. If you don't want to do combat, then it should be really easy either to find something that suits your needs or learn the basics to roll out your own system.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
The Ying Yang of reviews -

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Well, I made a trailer and put up a greenlight page for Trollskog.

https://twitter.com/OftenABird/status/835529899796475910

Press my little "?" to the left if you want to see the humble origins of my crazy passion project... It has come a long way, imho.

Mad props to Blinn for knocking it outta the park with the music and uniball for doing crazy foley in the forest.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Just realized this month was the first anniversary of starting work on my game, so I made a collection of all the Tweets I made about it in reverse chronological order:
https://twitter.com/hellobalint/timelines/835511630666612737

One thing I never posted about was the first mockup I made last February when I started to outline the game in my notes:

e: And here it is now:

https://twitter.com/hellobalint/status/835521625932115968

Seeing others progress from sketches to prototypes to finished game is my #1 reason for following this thread and it' so inspiring to me. If any if you have time to dig up some old screenshots or sketches to show off alongside the current or finished state of your project, I'd love to see them!

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 25, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Bert of the Forest posted:

The Ying Yang of reviews -

lol

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

crab avatar posted:

Seeing others progress from sketches to prototypes to finished game is my #1 reason for following this thread and it' so inspiring to me. If any if you have time to dig up some old screenshots or sketches to show off alongside the current or finished state of your project, I'd love to see them!

do you really want to see that frankenstein poo poo

early build:

current build:

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
I LIVE FOR THIS

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Crosspost from other gamedev thread.

UnrealCS is a working product to get shippable builds using C# with Unreal Engine 4.14.3. Note this is NOT the product that MS/Xamarin have been working on, that will likely be a better product but that is stuck in limbo.

Video showing steps to get a shipping build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cL116iBHkI

Note the compiled version only works with 4.14.3 and will not work with 4.15. I think it could be compiled to work for 4.15 but I had trouble compiling it.

Instructions to use Unreal CS here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BzX-nuCYTO0hhE2CjUxRWzNTYPCdEWxmA3AKNKOpJpE/edit

Thanks xiongfang for making this product.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Scraps early builds:

Recent:

shs
Feb 14, 2012

crab avatar posted:

Yeah baby you want to see some progress just look at these:

My first game dev project:

My current game dev project:

Those are different games but as you can see my ability to make game has improved over time.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is more thinking out loud than anything, but I'm having a little trouble balancing the economy in my train roguelike. Right now it has two core activities- train operation (manipulate the controls and fix damage to keep the train from exploding), and combat (punch bandits who jump on-board). Combat is intended to be more Darkest Dungeon than FTL, where it's an ultimately negative exchange of resources (damage costs materials to fix, but killing things doesn't get you loot), but that leaves me with no way to actually earn loot/spare parts and improve the train as you play.

I could just say "screw realism" and make bandits drop upgrade parts, but that changes the core gameplay- by making you not want to get into fights I make each encounter somewhat scary, as you're desperately trying to get rid of the bandits ASAP before new ones appear or something else goes wrong. If they start dropping stuff you want, suddenly I need to add some kind of food gauge to press you onward, and your focus becomes on getting to your destination as slowly as possible, and picking as many fights as you can.

So is there a happy alternative I'm not seeing here? I thought it might be neat to spawn resources near the track (trees to chop, iron ore to mine), so you'd have to stop your train (which is dangerous and stupid) to gather them, but that leads to a kind of awkward gameflow where you're constantly flip-flopping between doing the train thing, and playing 2d dwarf fortress.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

This is more thinking out loud than anything, but I'm having a little trouble balancing the economy in my train roguelike. Right now it has two core activities- train operation (manipulate the controls and fix damage to keep the train from exploding), and combat (punch bandits who jump on-board). Combat is intended to be more Darkest Dungeon than FTL, where it's an ultimately negative exchange of resources (damage costs materials to fix, but killing things doesn't get you loot), but that leaves me with no way to actually earn loot/spare parts and improve the train as you play.

I could just say "screw realism" and make bandits drop upgrade parts, but that changes the core gameplay- by making you not want to get into fights I make each encounter somewhat scary, as you're desperately trying to get rid of the bandits ASAP before new ones appear or something else goes wrong. If they start dropping stuff you want, suddenly I need to add some kind of food gauge to press you onward, and your focus becomes on getting to your destination as slowly as possible, and picking as many fights as you can.

So is there a happy alternative I'm not seeing here? I thought it might be neat to spawn resources near the track (trees to chop, iron ore to mine), so you'd have to stop your train (which is dangerous and stupid) to gather them, but that leads to a kind of awkward gameflow where you're constantly flip-flopping between doing the train thing, and playing 2d dwarf fortress.

If bandits rob trains it's fair to assume they carry train-robbed items on them. A purely negative element might be frustrating, but if bandits dropped non-repairing items, like as if taken from another train, there is a reward in successfully fending them off, in getting to spin the trinket wheel. Even if they damage the train it would be an exchange of [train damage] for [stolen trinkets] so it isn't a complete loss if you're attacked but it still costs repair resources to recover from an attack, assuming there's a distinction between repair items and other valuables.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Reiley posted:

If bandits rob trains it's fair to assume they carry train-robbed items on them. A purely negative element might be frustrating, but if bandits dropped non-repairing items, like as if taken from another train, there is a reward in successfully fending them off, in getting to spin the trinket wheel. Even if they damage the train it would be an exchange of [train damage] for [stolen trinkets] so it isn't a complete loss if you're attacked but it still costs repair resources to recover from an attack, assuming there's a distinction between repair items and other valuables.

That's definitely a good idea. Right now there are basically three items in the game: parts (which repair damage and upgrade train cars), fuel (which makes the train go), and equipment, which isn't used yet, but represents all the crap your crew can equip to make themselves more awesome. I could definitely see bandits dropping equipment, but my theoretical end-vision was for this to be a base-building game on a train, where you start with a crappy locomotive and one car, and end up with a huge multi-car rolling fortress. That kinda slow buildup is satisfying and psychologically powerful, even if the upgrades themselves are pretty linear, but doing it that way would practically require me to let you earn train parts through skill, since the speed with which your train gets better should be determined by skill, not RNG.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
It sounds like your game is broken up into cycles where you travel from destination A to B with a set amount of resources and your main gameplay conflict is to try to bleed as little as you can?

If it were my game I'd do something similar to your idea of having resources spawn near the track, but instead I'd maybe just give them to the player without having them need to stop, maybe doling them out every X distance traveled or at milestones between trips. It would prevent you from needing to build dwarf fortress into the game you already have and it reinforces pushing the player forward without having them feel like it's a good idea to slow down and farm bandits. Might take a little imagination to explain how you pick up resources without stopping.

I am personally very amused by the idea of a Snowpiercer style train that stops for nothing and has to fend off railroad bandits.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Scoss posted:

It sounds like your game is broken up into cycles where you travel from destination A to B with a set amount of resources and your main gameplay conflict is to try to bleed as little as you can?

That's exactly it! When we started, our design document basically said "Think FTL combined with Darkest Dungeons, except with trains," and we've ended up with something that's only like either of 'em in that it's a roguelike with a linear goal.

Scoss posted:

If it were my game I'd do something similar to your idea of having resources spawn near the track, but instead I'd maybe just give them to the player without having them need to stop, maybe doling them out every X distance traveled or at milestones between trips.

That's probably really smart. There's a game called Dungeon of the Endless that did that with rooms (you build resource generators in rooms you've already cleared out, resources pop out of each generator every time you open a new door), so it wouldn't be too hard to do the same thing with segments of track. It seems like there's almost a nice, tidy triangle of resources here: fighting bandits earns you equipment but costs you parts (because they break your stuff), traveling earns parts (let's say randomly each time you complete a track segment) but burns fuel, then I just have to think up something skill-based that earns fuel, and there's an entire self-contained economy. ^^

The art isn't done yet, but since we're doing before and after, here's the game in question-

One-hour "Let's remember how to use Unity by making trains with stock art I have laying around":

One week in, using MS Paint art as placeholders while I program mechanics:

Eight weeks in, starting to add art-art and prototype characters:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Scoss posted:

Might take a little imagination to explain how you pick up resources without stopping.
Grappling hooks. When you're coming up on some resources your crew all get the grappling hooks out and go fishing for resources.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Saving/loading (serializing/deserializing) is supposed to be a horrible mess of if-else statements... right?
Going with "it's not terrible if it works" (and after a weekend of work, it does!)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Angryhead posted:

Saving/loading (serializing/deserializing) is supposed to be a horrible mess of if-else statements... right?
Going with "it's not terrible if it works" (and after a weekend of work, it does!)

Nope, a BinaryFormatter should be able to Serialize or Deserialize any object you throw at it with one line.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Angryhead posted:

Noooooo you're supposed to implement a serializable interface and use a serialization library so all that stuff just happens automatically for you.

If you just have a few variables then go ahead, but if you have a ton of data then that's probably the harder way to go about things.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
The only if/else tomfoolery I do for serialization is old version support, but that's because I have an active playerbase and don't want to nuke their saves every update. The only trickery you should have to do for simple serializing of objects is converting unsupported types.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Unless you're working in a language without reflection, then if-elses start looking really appealing. :unsmigghh:

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
Unity question;

I am working on a game with a UFO shaped spaceship the player pilots from the inside.

The UFO is a fat, short cylinder- think a Frisbee.

My player ship started as just a simple 3d box with a box collider. I deleted the render for the box (don't want to see it) and parented the ship's models to the box. All works well, but now I want to have a circular hitbox so the UFO will roll around as it smoothly collides with the environment.

The built-in capsule in Unity can't do this shape- it can do tall and skinny, but not short and fat. The cylinder is practically the same as the capsule and thus useless for my UFO.

Any thoughts? I'm at that frustrating point of knowing just enough about Unity to get frustrated by how little I actually know :(

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Zarikov posted:

Unity question;

I am working on a game with a UFO shaped spaceship the player pilots from the inside.

The UFO is a fat, short cylinder- think a Frisbee.

My player ship started as just a simple 3d box with a box collider. I deleted the render for the box (don't want to see it) and parented the ship's models to the box. All works well, but now I want to have a circular hitbox so the UFO will roll around as it smoothly collides with the environment.

The built-in capsule in Unity can't do this shape- it can do tall and skinny, but not short and fat. The cylinder is practically the same as the capsule and thus useless for my UFO.

Any thoughts? I'm at that frustrating point of knowing just enough about Unity to get frustrated by how little I actually know :(

Mesh collider: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-MeshCollider.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

@crab avatar

Thanks for posting your in progress shots and encouraging others to do the same. I can't wait to just wander around in your game.

I've been lurking this thread for a long time and started Ben Tristem's Unity Udemy course a few months back. This thread has given me a lot of information and I wanted to thank you all for regularly sharing.