Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I find the auto brightness works better on lux, but the night mode is nicer with cf.lumen as it uses a display driver (needs root)

Luckily Lux has plug in support so you can make Lux use cf.lumen for its night mode. You don't need cf.lumen running in the background either, it just needs to have the driver installed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

I find the auto brightness works better on lux, but the night mode is nicer with cf.lumen as it uses a display driver (needs root)

Luckily Lux has plug in support so you can make Lux use cf.lumen for its night mode. You don't need cf.lumen running in the background either, it just needs to have the driver installed

Oh my god thank you for this.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm looking for an android app that provides similar functionality to iOS's "Find my iPhone". Any suggestions?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

I'm looking for an android app that provides similar functionality to iOS's "Find my iPhone". Any suggestions?

Googles own Device Manager can do that.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.adm&hl=en_GB

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

Android Device Manager (Web/App)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Guys I'm looking for an app that can remotely locate and/or wipe my device. Any suggestions?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FAUXTON posted:

Guys I'm looking for an app that can remotely locate and/or wipe my device. Any suggestions?

Find My iPhone should already be pre installed. Swipe over all your home screens to find it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Find My iPhone should already be pre installed. Swipe over all your home screens to find it.

Or don't be an idiot and install Find My Find My iPhone instead of hunting around like a scrub

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone else using Tweetings? I installed it last night to check out and I kinda dig it. I'm a big fan of Fenix, but Tweetings allows you to schedule tweets, which means I could uninstall the app I'd been using for that. I like being able to consolidate apps. I'm going to give it a shot, but I might end up sticking with Fenix, just because I'm so used to it at this point.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is there a notification shade toggle? I have a Droid Note.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FAUXTON posted:

Is there a notification shade toggle? I have a Droid Note.

Only on the Turbo MAXXXXX model (remember the MAXXXX with 4 X's is the international one).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

XIII posted:

Anyone else using Tweetings? I installed it last night to check out and I kinda dig it. I'm a big fan of Fenix, but Tweetings allows you to schedule tweets, which means I could uninstall the app I'd been using for that. I like being able to consolidate apps. I'm going to give it a shot, but I might end up sticking with Fenix, just because I'm so used to it at this point.

Tweetings also has push notifications if you like that stuff.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Tweetings also has push notifications if you like that stuff.

I really don't know the pros and cons of Tweetings' notification system vs Fenix's

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

XIII posted:

I really don't know the pros and cons of Tweetings' notification system vs Fenix's

The most I know is one is push and the other constantly polls. That's about it.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Evil Vin posted:

I'm also having this problem with Movie Mastery and been looking for what causes it and ending up with similar results.

Yeah, your example acts exactly like mine, including the non-existing cover art. I wonder if there's a standard way to let Pocket Casts know about this, since it does look like a misconfiguration on somebody's end.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Skeezy posted:

The most I know is one is push and the other constantly polls. That's about it.

I believe tweetings uses an intermediary server to poll twitter and push to your device whereas Fenix just polls twitter directly

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Only on the Turbo MAXXXXX model (remember the MAXXXX with 4 X's is the international one).

Mine says "Apple iPhone 6" on the back. I think that means it's a MAXXXXXX. I'm on Verizon by the way not sure if that changes anything.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

hey santa baby posted:

Yeah, your example acts exactly like mine, including the non-existing cover art. I wonder if there's a standard way to let Pocket Casts know about this, since it does look like a misconfiguration on somebody's end.

I asked one of the guys from movie mastery about it in another thread and he said

theironjef posted:

No, I'm afraid that's to do with Wordpress. A lot of podcasters that host on wordpress are getting basically the same issues. It's not fixable by us, it's some sort of issue between Wordpress and the most recent version of the Android OS. The best I can tell you is that it's a known issue on both sides so hopefully one of them fixes something soon, it's been driving us nuts.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Can anyone recommend a good, no faff reader app for an Android tablet, one that can do epub3 format? I don't particularly like having to go online to use Play Books every time I want to read a book in that format.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
If you need to read interactive ebooks (that's epub3 right?) then Gitden reader is pretty solid.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Can anyone recommend a good, no faff reader app for an Android tablet, one that can do epub3 format? I don't particularly like having to go online to use Play Books every time I want to read a book in that format.

You can pin your books to your device the same way you can pin your music :confused:

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Since I've gotten the Hangouts 5.0 update, it's been nothing but a pain in the dick. Every once in awhile (multiple times a day), when I open Hangouts from a new message notification and go to respond, I get a message about message history is on and do I still want to send the message. When I hit "send" I get "the message will be sent shortly", and then never sends. If I back out from the conversation, my conversation list just sits with a white screen with the loading circle forever. The only way I can get past this is to hit the app switcher and close Hangouts. When I reopen it, it signs in and I can send messages again. What the gently caress is up with that?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google finally announced YouTube Red. Remember when Google Play Music started including the ability to stream videos with the screen off, have no ads, and save videos offline? Well now it's officially titled YouTube Red and it's $9.99/mo. It does all of those things and also comes with an additional subscription to Google Play Music. Along with all of this, Google has partnered with YouTubers like PewDiePie, Tobuscus, iiSuperwomanii, MatPat, and CollegeHumor to make original YouTube Red-exclusive series and movies.

If you already have a subscription to Google Play Music, then you get YouTube Red for free. However, if your subscription lapses, you will not have Red anymore AND you will be ineligible to get a trial access of Red (and presumably of Play Music).

YouTube Red launches on Oct 28th.

https://www.youtube.com/red
http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2015/10/red.html
http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2015/10/red-originals.html

Along with this announcement, which will also launch on Oct 28th, is YouTube Music. This is basically an app like YouTube Gaming that lets you only watch music-based stuff.

So basically we will have multiple YouTube apps in 7 days:

YouTube
YouTube Kids
YouTube Gaming
YouTube Music

You can also toss YouTube Red subscriptions in and you can even put Google Play Music in too since they're bundled.

This feels like the multiple messaging apps Android had all over again.

I look forward to YouTube Cats and YouTube Podcasts in 2016. :v:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ninmeister posted:

Since I've gotten the Hangouts 5.0 update, it's been nothing but a pain in the dick. Every once in awhile (multiple times a day), when I open Hangouts from a new message notification and go to respond, I get a message about message history is on and do I still want to send the message. When I hit "send" I get "the message will be sent shortly", and then never sends. If I back out from the conversation, my conversation list just sits with a white screen with the loading circle forever. The only way I can get past this is to hit the app switcher and close Hangouts. When I reopen it, it signs in and I can send messages again. What the gently caress is up with that?
The new Hangouts is poo poo. I wish the US would just use Whatsapp like normal people

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

it's so microsoft bundling the only feature people would actually want behind a paywall along with a bunch of poo poo nobody asked for, and by that I mean saving videos to watch later offline

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

This feels like the multiple messaging apps Android had all over again.
Wait until they actually launch the family plan thing they announced at the Nexus event and then it turns out you only get some of these things on the main account or something dumb.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I look forward to YouTube Cats and YouTube Podcasts in 2016. :v:

Wish they'd call it Red Tube, just rolls off the tongue better. ..

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Meldonox posted:

I apologize for asking, but the OP is super out of date and I didn't notice this question in some pages, but is there a short one size fits all list of apps that are straight up worth buying? I've got more than $50 from Google surveys and I have no idea what to blow it on.

I've been running rooted 4.4.4 on a Nexus 5, but I'll probably unroot for a while to install Marshmallow and see if I even miss root access.

Here was my take a half year back. I messaged the OP but didn't hear back. Any way, some of you might get value out of this.

Keyboards
Google Keyboard is fine for most uses, but hey, you’re going to be using this constantly so you’d best find a fit.
  • Fleksy is good for tappers, and has great design.
  • Swype is good for swipers.
  • SwiftKey splits the difference, with bonus Frozen themes!
  • Minuum is for crazy people.

Launchers
Launchers control the home screen of your phone, which may be a bit underfeatured. If you like customizing your phone, check these out.
  • Google Experience Launcher: do you have TouchWiz? Replace it with this. Also I guess you can swipe left to Google Now.
  • Nova Launcher: highly resembles a basic launcher, but much lighter weight, with better features and customization (e.g. icon pack support). Nothing too quirky.
  • Action Launcher: Unique features include two side-swipe drawers for your app list (left) and custom widgets/apps (right).
  • Themer: MyColorScreen’s app. Download a whole bunch of user-submitted themes. Realize they’re all poo poo for day-to-day use. Uninstall.
  • Aviate: the new hotness is context-sensitive launchers (e.g. it detects if you’re home and puts your fancy LED lightbulb app front-and-center), and this is the best one you’ll find.

Wallpapers
Watch out for device permissions when installing anything not listed here. This category has a high concentration of malware.
  • Muzei: Widely used autoswitcher with nice blur and dim capabilities. It has plugins for just about everything imaginable, like 500firepaper.
  • Tapet: procedural material design wallpapers.

Widgets
Widgets used to be a very strange beast on Android, with Zooper and UCCW widget languages taking over. They’re bitches to use, but have basically infinite flexibility for any widget you might want to make. With the advent of material design, there are actually some good native ones, though.
  • DashClock: Designed for use as a lock screen widget, but nice anyway. Configure this to display notifications and information of your choosing using some extensions, and you’re good to go.
  • Today Settings: actual good widgets for Google Calendar.

File Browsers
You’d think it’s easy to get a file browser right. You’d be wrong.
  • QuickPic is the de facto best photo browser but it just got bought by some Chinese company.
  • ES File Explorer is fully featured (including SMB/FTP), but good luck using its interface.
  • I’m quite partial to FX File Explorer, which appears to actually have a UX team. $2.99 IAP for cloud/network functionality.
  • Solid Explorer is an option...?

SMS/MMS Messaging
What, not happy with the Galaxy SMS app’s pink bubbles and Comic Sans? Okay, fine, but be warned that some of these apps might have issues with MMS, depending on your carrier.
  • Hangouts has a setting to enable SMS, but it's stuck in Google's development hell.
  • Textra is well-featured and great.
  • 8sms is a ultra-lightweight clone of stock KitKat messenger.

Email
The Gmail app is pretty great, and almost certainly better than your manufacturer’s “Email” app. Still...
  • Inbox is Google’s re-imagining of email workflow, and it’s really quite cool. Invite required, email inbox@google.com
  • Nine is for Exchange-based email. Suckers.

Alarms / Timers / Clocks
Your phone has one preloaded that works just fine, but here are some others:
  • Timely was recently picked up by Google. That’s quite the UX there, man, and the feature set is decent enough.
  • I Can’t Wake Up! has a bevy of options for all you snoozers out there, and is better than Gentle Alarm in every way, i mean jesus how can people still be using that app?

Website / Social Media Readers
  • Twitter apps are weird, as Twitter only gives out limited quantities of dev tokens. Use the official client if you can. Plume supports multiple accounts and is free, but Fenix is best-in-class right now.
  • Something / Awful are two virtually indistinguishable apps for reading the SA forums.
  • Relay for Reddit is the best Reddit client for my money.

Podcasts
i swear, if one of you asks for any other recommendations, so help me God...
  • PocketCasts is the default, cloud-enabled app nowadays, although episode management can be unwieldy.
  • BeyondPod has some cool smart playlist functionality and generally more options than the previous, but is way harder to use.

Music Players
There are entirely too many. Some of them have outdated design but good functionality (PowerAmp, PlayerPro), some look great (Shuttle+), some are subscription-based (Google Play, Spotify). There is no silver bullet, but let me break some stuff down:
  • The Google Play Music app doesn’t require an all-access pass ($10/mo), and will show you local music in its player, with the ability to upload 50,000 songs to the cloud. All access buys you on-demand access to everything in the catalog.
  • If you don’t have Spotify Premium, you’ll only be able to listen to “radios” and it will never allow you to directly select a song. The app does not have access to your device’s local library.
  • Pandora is so last decade.
  • Grab Simple Last.fm scrobbler if you use last.fm.

Weather
  • Weather Timeline boasts some pretty drat good material-inspired design, and I haven’t needed anything else for a while.
  • Someone described Arcus as spartan, but reliable. Both are true, and the widget options are pretty strong.

Finance
  • Mint
  • YNAB
  • [your bank here], because they almost certainly have some form of an app.

Lists / Notes / To-Dos
  • Google Keep is Google’s official reminder/notes app, and it’s pretty good for most use-cases.
  • Evernote: if you use the service, obviously.

Administrative / Advanced
  • Tasker allows you to automate every possible interaction of your phone. Send your stalkee a text when you’re outside her apartment! Boot up a music app when you plug in headphones! The possibilities are endless! There’s a thread for it here.
  • IFTTT is basically Tasker for other services outside your phone. Change your Google image to always match your Facebook photo! Turn on a light when you connect to a wi-fi network!
  • LightFlow is great for some models, as it allows you to fully customize notifications (sound, vibration, LED color, LED frequency) and set nightime modes.
  • Google Authenticator. It’s 2015, why aren’t you using two-factor authentication yet?
  • LinkBubble opens up links in Facebook Messenger-style bubbles, so they load while you continue reading. It’s a great idea, executed well.

Other Crap
  • Google Goggles is stuck in the Gingerbread days but still is a great, comprehensive scanner camera for QR codes, product barcodes, and text translation.
  • PushBullet: Everything you need to have your computer and mobile device talk to each other. It’s great.
  • Plex: Stream and share your computer’s media.
  • Google Opinion Rewards: Let Google know that yes, you did visit Walgreen’s yesterday, and get some change for IAPs in return.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 21, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

f#a# posted:

The Google Play Music app doesn’t require an all-access pass ($10/mo), and will show you local music in its player. All access buys you space to upload 50,000 songs to the cloud and access to everything else there.

The 50,000 song upload thingy is free...

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I like Smart Launcher (phone only) because I am a huge sucker for categories.

Chronus Widget supports DashClock extensions within a clock/weather/other crap widget. Personally I think it looks nicer than Dashclock.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Haven't seen it mentioned much here but if you use SwiftKey then definitely give their Swiftkey Neural Alpha a shot:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey.nn

'Original' Swiftkey does pretty well just analyzing the last couple of words you had typed to offer predictions, but that still led to word suggestions that didn't make much sense sometimes. Neural uses a (surprise) neural model to analyze the full context of what you are typing and offers way better predictions for me already.
https://blog.swiftkey.com/neural-networks-a-meaningful-leap-for-mobile-typing/

It is US English only right now.

When my 5X arrives tomorrow I'll just be installing Neural as my keyboard. I presume the next full release of Swiftkey will roll this tech in.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
All this keyboard talk, and no one mentions the finest keyboard ever crafted by human hands...

http://www.8pen.com/

fake edit: I guess they've pulled it from the play store anyway. :laugh:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I would just add:

Root Explorer (and its free little brother, Explorer) is an excellent file browser that I highly recommend.

QKSMS is my new favorite SMS app. It feels faster than anything else I've used so far, and it integrates with Yappy, which is kind of like PushBullet, except it's more reliable on the texting-from-your-computer front (at least, for me, PB has been incredibly unreliable recently on that front)

For reddit, I much prefer Sync or Now over Relay.

Regularly is a decent app for tracking/reminding yourself to do things you do regularly (e.g. washing your sheets, changing your toothbrush, etc.) based on an interval instead of on a fixed schedule based on day of the month or week. It's definitely not the prettiest app (it could definitely use a design overhaul) but it's the best app for what it does that I know of.

Also throw in lux and/or CF.Lumen if you want better auto-brightness and night-mode (a la F.lux) on your phone.

Mogomra posted:

All this keyboard talk, and no one mentions the finest keyboard ever crafted by human hands...

http://www.8pen.com/

fake edit: I guess they've pulled it from the play store anyway. :laugh:

jesus christ this is the most confusing thing i've ever seen. i want it.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 21, 2015

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

f#a# posted:

[*]Google Authenticator. It’s 2015, why aren’t you using two-factor authentication yet?

I've wound up leaning towards Authy in this space.Yes, there is a danger in having more than one device be able to use your two-factor authentication.It does device-side encryption, so that they don't transfer your TFA seeds except in encrypted blobs

There are also PC apps and Chrome extensions, but I haven't gone for either of those yet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

f#a# posted:

bunch of app stuff

Make a new thread.

I'll close this one, and you'll live in fame as the OP of the new Android App Thread.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

ThermoPhysical posted:

YouTube shenanigans

So from all this, what I take from it is that if I am an existing subscriber to Google Play All Access, I now get ad-free Youtube? That would be pretty sweet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Teeter posted:

So from all this, what I take from it is that if I am an existing subscriber to Google Play All Access, I now get ad-free Youtube? That would be pretty sweet.

I originally signed up for GPMAA with a new Google account like thermopyles_family@gmail.com so my wife could use it too, but since I never browse signed in to that account, I miss out on the YT stuff.

With the new family accounts stuff coming, I guess I'll just switch over to that.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Gmail handles two-factor Outlook and Yahoo mail now. In case you actually use either of those.

Google also made their own SMS client (Google Messenger) and their own clock app (Google, uh, Clock) which are both your standard spartan-but-slick Google stuff. Just a heads up.

maltesh posted:

I've wound up leaning towards Authy in this space.Yes, there is a danger in having more than one device be able to use your two-factor authentication.It does device-side encryption, so that they don't transfer your TFA seeds except in encrypted blobs

There are also PC apps and Chrome extensions, but I haven't gone for either of those yet.

Yay, let's put even more account security stuff in the hands of companies who aren't licensed and bonded to handle it!

Did SMS codes stop being a thing at some point?

Alternately, if you use KeePass2 databases, the dude behind the PC clients is pretty okay with the Android fork (which can access and edit your cloud database directly) and it also has built-in TOTP support.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 22, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Yay, let's put even more account security stuff in the hands of companies who aren't licensed and bonded to handle it!

Did SMS codes stop being a thing at some point?

I use both. The nice thing about authenticaters is that you can use them in places that you don't have cell phone service. And they're faster than waiting on an SMS to come in.

I'm not certain how to handle things if I lose my phone, however. It'd be kind of hard to log into Google if I'm away from home when that happened. With SMS, I could theoretically hop into a T-Mobile store, buy a new burner phone and SIM card, get those swapped to my account, and get SMS messages again.

I tend to like using SMS better as it feels like less hassle on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Uthor posted:

I use both. The nice thing about authenticaters is that you can use them in places that you don't have cell phone service. And they're faster than waiting on an SMS to come in.

I'm not certain how to handle things if I lose my phone, however. It'd be kind of hard to log into Google if I'm away from home when that happened. With SMS, I could theoretically hop into a T-Mobile store, buy a new burner phone and SIM card, get those swapped to my account, and get SMS messages again.

I tend to like using SMS better as it feels like less hassle on my part.

You can print out a set of 10 randomly generated codes on google's website in case you lose your phone or whatever.

• Locked thread