Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

Cygnids posted:

So it looks like the same question I could extract from the summary page applies to the council review as well: do you have an opinion on whether the IDF has acted with the aim of "seriously intimidating a population"?

If they have, according to the logic of the experts you are deferring to the IDF has committed EU Official Terrorist Acts, right? Note the "or" in #3, meeting that criteria is enough so we don't even have to get into the rest of the points there.

My theoretical summary of whether terrorist classification is in any way useful (as opposed to "do I like this group y/n") boils down to: there's some value in reserving certain kinds of violence to states or state-like organizations acting publicly and more or less aboveboard. The thing you posted disagrees with me on paper and agrees with me in practice. There's no real way to describe Aum Shinrikyo as a state-like actor and the sarin attacks were unequivocally terrorism and the sort of thing that should be discouraged.

As far as the actual organizations at issue here, my hot take is that Hamas, Hezbollah, and the IDF are not terrorist organizations, they're functionally state actors. They're state actors that do war crimes to various degrees, one of which is currently working on a genocide.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to classify Mossad as a terrorist organization despite their state affiliation. Settler militias in the West Bank are probably terrorists. Where's the line? Well, I dunno. Maybe it's like obscenity laws.

"hey gjb, were the LTTE in Sri Lanka a terrorist organization?" well i'm going to stick to my guns and give a firm maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'd like to discuss how the IDF is shooting Palestinians and then tying them to their cars to use as human shields.

I can recall at least one other incident where the IDF did this, seems to be part of their doctrine tbh.

[url]https://www.npr.org/2024/06/23/g-s1-5810/israel-
injured-palestinian-tied-military-vehicle[/url]

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007

Lmao the Zionist freaks are beginning to lay the groundwork for their very own Dolchstoßlegende

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveb...lame-for-oct-7/

quote:

Asked by Channel 14’s Patriots program whether calls by IDF reservists to refuse to serve, in light of the government’s controversial judicial overhaul legislation, had led in part to the October 7 Hamas onslaught, Netanyahu responds that the months of anti-government protests were “a disaster,” which “came from the left.”

In the first interview the prime minister gives to a Hebrew-language outlet since the outbreak of the war with Hamas, Netanyahu says: “I said it [protests] endangered Israel at the time.”

The reservists’ refusal to serve was “an important factor” in the failures surrounding the October 7 massacre, Netanyahu says, “but not the main factor.”

Meanwhile the fascist death drive is in full swing as they prepare to pivot from losing a war against a concentration camp to getting curb stomped by an incredibly well armed and well trained quasi-state actor to the north:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveb...-all-scenarios/

quote:

Israel can fight a war on multiple fronts, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says in his first interview with Israeli media since October 7.

Speaking about the possibility of a full-blown war against Hezbollah on the Channel 14 program “The Patriots,” Netanyahu says that he hopes there won’t be a need to do so, “but we will meet this challenge too. We can fight on several fronts, we are prepared for this.”

Israel will enforce any deal with Hezbollah to ensure that its forces are not on the border, he says: “It won’t be an agreement on paper.”

“It will include the physical distancing of Hezbollah from the border, and we will need to enforce it… We are committed to returning the residents of the north to their homes,” he says.

Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermer and National Security Adviser Tzachi Hanegbi told him there is hope for a diplomatic solution after their trip to Washington last week, says Netanyahu.

Turning to the question of who will rule Gaza after Hamas, Netanyahu claims that the IDF approached him 5 months ago with the idea of using local clans to rule the Strip.

“Now they brought me another plan, which we are trying,” he says, “I won’t go into details so that it will work.”

Netanyahu calls settling Gaza “not realistic” and says that it would not serve war goals.

He says that after the current phase of the war in Gaza, more IDF troops would be transferred to the north.

Netanyahu also blasts National Unity leaders and former coalition partners Benny Gantz and Gadi Eisenkot for leaving the government in the middle of a war and begin attacking the war leadership they were recently part of. “There need to be limits to the opposition as well,” he says.

He adds, “no one will rush to topple the government in the middle of a war.” He argues that the fall of the government would bring about a left-wing coalition that would create a Palestinian state.

Asked about Israel’s ability to withstand strikes on its electricity infrastructure, Netanyahu says that “there will be no catastrophe.”

“We are working to protect it, unique protections that I cannot go into,” he says.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Iron Dome was a disappointment so they've turned to Thunderdome.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
Lebanese response to the telegraph article.

https://x.com/TheCradleMedia/status/1804907513701126483

quote:

BREAKING | Lebanese Transport Minister Ali Hamieh:

○ "The British Telegraph reported in an article today, quoting sources, that there are weapons at Beirut Airport."

○ "The sources that The Telegraph talks about are unknown, and the newspaper should contact the British Department of Transport, which has visited the airport."

○ "The International Air Transport Association denied what was stated in The Telegraph article regarding Rafic Hariri Airport."

○ "Is it conceivable that a reputable newspaper would change its sources within an hour?"

○ "We invite all media and ambassadors to tour all airport facilities tomorrow at 10.30 am to inspect them."

○ "We are consulting with the Prime Minister to file a lawsuit against The Telegraph because what it mentioned is harmful to Lebanon."

https://x.com/AssalRad/status/1804923940646924546

Link to the jpost article:

https://www.jpost.com/arab-israeli-conflict/article-805203

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007

I sure do love when my government deploys official resources to smuggle over a notorious war criminal and genocidaire for a junket in our nations capitol. I especially love it when they kick off said junket by meeting with the group of unregistered foreign agents that openly brag about being able to get the signatures of 70 senators on a napkin if they so choose.

https://twitter.com/yoavgallant/status/1804819668416229712

https://twitter.com/yoavgallant/status/1804961997387137302

It's been reported that the ostensible purpose of Gallant's visit is to present a plan for the day after in Gaza. Meanwhile back at the ranch...

https://aja.ws/kkkpwg?update=6657234

quote:

Israeli media: The government discusses the possibility of establishing military rule in northern Gaza

Israel’s Channel 12 revealed that Benjamin Netanyahu’s government discussed during its last meeting the possibility of imposing temporary military rule in the northern Gaza Strip.

The channel had earlier reported that Netanyahu acknowledged that the plan to give Palestinian families and clans in Gaza control of the Strip had failed, and that the government was working on another plan that would not be disclosed.
-credit to Al-Saqr once again for doing the legwork and translation to share this in English.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/6/23/netanyahu-says-war-will-continue-even-if-deal-agreed-with-hamas

quote:

Netanyahu says war will continue even if ceasefire deal agreed with Hamas
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has indicated that he is open to a “partial” deal that would facilitate the return of some captives still held in Gaza, even if not all.
He reiterated, however, that he would not agree to any deal that stipulated an end to Israel’s war on Gaza, despite previous claims by the United States that an Israeli proposal would be a pathway to ending the offensive.

Netanyahu said troops would soon be deployed to the northern border with Lebanon but for “defensive purposes”.
“After the intense phase is finished, we will have the possibility to move part of the forces north. And we will do this. First and foremost for defensive purposes. And secondly, to bring our [evacuated] residents home,” Netanyahu told Channel 14.
“If we can we will do this diplomatically. If not, we will do it another way. But we will bring [the residents] home,” he said.

Quantum Cat fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 24, 2024

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://x.com/POTUS/status/1805253626551497103?t=5tgf6D2fHHNciNc0Rimh0w&s=19

Our boy genocide Joe is now pretending like protesting illegal land sales in the West Bank taking place in synagogues is antisemitism, because he cares so much about Palestinians I'm sure

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

imagine engaging in violence against a vaguely defined group of people just because you don't like what their representatives are doing. that would be terrible.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

rscott posted:

https://x.com/POTUS/status/1805253626551497103?t=5tgf6D2fHHNciNc0Rimh0w&s=19

Our boy genocide Joe is now pretending like protesting illegal land sales in the West Bank taking place in synagogues is antisemitism, because he cares so much about Palestinians I'm sure

If you're using your place of worship to arrange illegal land sales it seems reasonable that people will protest that space. what a disingenuous piece of poo poo.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

punishedkissinger posted:

If you're using your place of worship to arrange illegal land sales it seems reasonable that people will protest that space. what a disingenuous piece of poo poo.

Is there a source to read about those sales? I remember it came up before that maybe this or some other religious community arranged auctions on the premises.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007

Man I wonder what happened to KHAMAS!!!!!! Being the only thing standing in the way of a ceasefire, let's check on that.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/official-involved-in-hamas-talks-tells-tv-netanyahus-statements-were-actual-sabotage/

quote:

An Israeli source with knowledge of the negotiations with Hamas tells Channel 12 that Netanyahu’s comments yesterday on backing only a “partial” deal “caused damage that will be very difficult to fix and at terrible timing — when all pressure was directed at [Hamas’s Gaza leader Yahya] Sinwar.

“His statement was actual sabotage. It’s difficult to see how we can reach a deal in the near future. It’s ‘game over’ for a deal,” the source said, adding: “He’s giving up on releasing the abducted soldiers and on the chance to try to first bring home the women, female soldiers, and the elderly.”

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Paladinus posted:

Is there a source to read about those sales? I remember it came up before that maybe this or some other religious community arranged auctions on the premises.

Not many specifics, just a lot of confirmation that they are selling real estate in the West Bank

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/202...ba-7f7a87e80000

quote:

The group was gathered to protest a real estate event taking place inside the synagogue, which was reportedly promoting the sale of land plots in Jewish settlements located in the West Bank.

Just a group of Americans organizing population transfers in an occupied territory. Really unreasonable to protest.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 24, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Not many specifics, just a lot of confirmation that they are selling real estate in the West Bank

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/202...ba-7f7a87e80000

Just a group of Americans organizing population transfers in an occupied territory. Really unreasonable to protest.

Yeah, I can't find any specifics either. I think the last time someone actually tracked one of the properties they were auctioning, but I can't find it quickly.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

One weird trick to sell stolen land without being protested. Anti-colonialists hate it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, I can't find any specifics either. I think the last time someone actually tracked one of the properties they were auctioning, but I can't find it quickly.

From back in March
https://x.com/riseandgrindcor/status/1805282932304888317

CNN confirms the real estate company does sell land in West Bank settlements

quote:

The protest stemmed from an Israel real estate event on Sunday at the Adas Torah synagogue, according to the synagogue’s security director and social media posts from organizers.

The event at the synagogue was organized by My Israel Home, a firm that markets real estate in Israel and West Bank settlements and was advertising on social media. CNN has reached out to My Israel Home for comment.

Piell fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 24, 2024

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
The land sale bullshit also involved some wretched gently caress getting arrested for threatening protesters with a nailgun while spewing genocidal garbage.

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/article-790358

quote:

A Jewish Canadian man was arrested for threatening Pro-Palestinian protesters with a nail gun at a protest in Vaughan on Sunday during a demonstration against an Israeli real estate event at the Aish Thornhill Community Shul.

Vaughan Police said that Ilan-Reuben Abramov, 27, stopped his vehicle near the demonstrators and began shouting obscenities at them. One of the protesters told the police that the suspect had at one point discharged the nail gun.

“Every f***ing Palestinian will die,” the man with the nail gun shouted, approaching the cameraman of the video posted by the Palesign group on Instagram. “You want to go, b***h?”

Sundance Shot fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 24, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Yea, that's it, thank you!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

jesus loving christ, zionists really do seem to be part of a concerted bid to make millennia of antisemitic conspiracies real

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

they're going to advertise selling houses in the "best anglo neighborhoods in Israel" and then be outraged when you call them a colony

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Companies like that work hand in hand with people like Ben-Gvir and Smotrich, who recently expounded on his plans to annex the West Bank:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jun/24/israeli-far-right-minister-bezalel-smotrich-annex-west-bank

Weird that Joe Biden says he supports a two state solution but all his sympathy and efforts support these fascists

I'm sure it's because he cares that much about the Palestinians

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

the us as a whole is so squarely behind israel that you're going to find no one with any meaningful power giving a single gently caress about the palestinians. only real difference between d and r on Israel is that one flank of dems officials will grumble a bit about all the support and it isn't that popular with d voters.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

jesus loving christ, zionists really do seem to be part of a concerted bid to make millennia of antisemitic conspiracies real

don't do this. also the reasons for all of this are much more immediate than some old antisemitic poo poo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

don't do this. also the reasons for all of this are much more immediate than some old antisemitic poo poo

As a Catholic I just can't believe religious institutions are being cynically used to cover moving money around for nefarious purposes

Senate Cum Dump
Dec 18, 2023

IN THIS VERY ROOM:

~Sonia Sotomayor had her confirmation hearing

~James Comey testified on Russian interference in the 2016 elections

~Aidan got some thick German sausage & a Jager sauce finish

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I would venture that using houses of worship to commit war crimes is a greater disrespect than protesting outside of them, but I guess I may just be less American than Joe Biden.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sundance Shot posted:

Lebanese response to the telegraph article.
I've read The Telegraph is pretty notorious for basically being for-hire by foreign intelligence agencies to run planted stories like that. Israel is doing psyops in the run-up to invading Lebanon.

Yeah but in addition to the Zionist machine being able to flip the optics around, it was right in the middle of a Jewish neighborhood in West L.A. and the protesters were outnumbered and got beat up.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I would venture that using houses of worship to commit war crimes is a greater disrespect than protesting outside of them, but I guess I may just be less American than Joe Biden.

What's a little moneychanging in the temple between friends?

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007

Let's see what Israeli settler militia are up to in the West Bank.

https://www.newarab.com/news/israeli-settlers-dig-graves-threat-bedouin-community

quote:

Israeli settlers continue to harass Palestinian Bedouin communities along the eastern slopes of the occupied West Bank's central hills overlooking the Jordan Valley in an area known as the 'Muarrajat' zone.

Earlier this week, Israeli settlers dug graves marked with flowers in the land of the Mleihat community in the Muarrajat, between the eastern hills of Ramallah and Jericho, as a "symbolic" threat.

"Settlers dug graves of small sizes, as if for children near the community and placed flowers on them, as a way of threatening the families to leave the community", Abu Mousa Kaabneh, a resident of the community, remarked to The New Arab.

"This is not the first time, since 7 October, settlers have increased their harassment, herding their sheep beside and between our houses, threatening to kill us if we don't leave and hanging dolls stained with fake blood on the community's school, which includes 80 children from 1st to 9th grades", he said.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007

Meanwhile the political situation in Israel continues to be whatever this is.

quote:

"Report in Haaretz: the Prime Minister's wife Sarah Netanyahu told the hostages' families - 'I don't trust the heads of the IDF - they want to stage a military coup against my husband'"
https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1805559619294507502

quote:

The supreme court has unanimously ruled that the government has to start conscripting Haredi men in some way
https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1805511862223544628

-credit to Sancho Banana for the legwork and translation to bring these to us

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Goatse James Bond posted:

My theoretical summary of whether terrorist classification is in any way useful (as opposed to "do I like this group y/n") boils down to: there's some value in reserving certain kinds of violence to states or state-like organizations acting publicly and more or less aboveboard. The thing you posted disagrees with me on paper and agrees with me in practice. There's no real way to describe Aum Shinrikyo as a state-like actor and the sarin attacks were unequivocally terrorism and the sort of thing that should be discouraged.

As far as the actual organizations at issue here, my hot take is that Hamas, Hezbollah, and the IDF are not terrorist organizations, they're functionally state actors. They're state actors that do war crimes to various degrees, one of which is currently working on a genocide.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to classify Mossad as a terrorist organization despite their state affiliation. Settler militias in the West Bank are probably terrorists. Where's the line? Well, I dunno. Maybe it's like obscenity laws.

"hey gjb, were the LTTE in Sri Lanka a terrorist organization?" well i'm going to stick to my guns and give a firm maybe

Backfilling the definition causes issues and state actors are also challenging. I don’t know how useful a discussion on whether the Union Army was a terrorist org is in 2024. The EU is much more hesitant to use the label and I think only has one department of the Iranian’s intelligence agency listed. There are notable omissions of non-state actors due to political reasons — the Wagner Group being a good example.

LTTE would be an easy “yes” for me and they were also responding to terrorist attacks on Tamils, although unsure if those were organized or operated more as progroms.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 25, 2024

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007

Let's see what the so-called more "reasonable" Israeli politicians are saying these days:

https://twitter.com/jeremybob1/status/1805620905306911161

Meanwhile in Gaza the Zionists freaks' infinite lust for atrocity remains unsated:

https://x.com/MSF/status/1805617848942764470

Quantum Cat fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 25, 2024

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Neon Belly posted:

Backfilling the definition causes issues and state actors are also challenging

Both Hamas and the IDF are state actors. Why do believe one is a terrorist organization and the other isn't? Please don't just say "because the EU says so", make an actual argument.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
I feel like at this point Genocide Joe is yelling through a loudspeaker directly at the few remaining people in this thread who believe that aw shucks he's just trying his best, and deep down he cares about the Palestinians:

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/06/24/us-hezbollah-israel-attack-conflict-00164761

quote:

U.S. officials trying to prevent a bigger Middle East war are issuing an unusual warning to Hezbollah: Don’t assume that Washington can stop Israel from attacking you.

(...)

Two U.S. officials told POLITICO that the militia needs to also understand that Washington will help Israel defend itself if Hezbollah retaliates. They stressed that the militant group should not count on America to act as a brake on Israeli decision-making.

(...)

“Israel’s gotta do what they gotta do,” a Defense Department official said, having been granted anonymity, like others, to speak frankly.

(...)

The two U.S. officials said the Biden administration will help Israel defend itself in any scenario with Hezbollah, including everything from replenishing Israel’s Iron Dome missile defense system to providing intelligence. If Israel comes under severe duress — with Hezbollah raining rockets and missiles on its major cities, for instance — the U.S. may move toward more direct military support, the officials said.

The US is basically telling Lebanon that they're going to get attacked, and they'd better not retaliate, because the US will do whatever it takes to assist their dog, no matter how rabid it gets.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
"Listen, me roid-raging friend over there is having a bad episode, he's about to break a chair leg and beat you to a pulp with it. I just had to tell you that you better let him do it, or it could go even worse for you. Hit him back, and I take away his chair leg and give him a spiked baseball bat."

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Both Hamas and the IDF are state actors. Why do believe one is a terrorist organization and the other isn't? Please don't just say "because the EU says so", make an actual argument.

I’ve been convinced (by this thread and some articles). They’re both state actors that commit war crimes and use terrorist tactics to achieve their goals.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007

Germans deal with unprocessed issues re the Holocaust in a healthy manner - challenge level impossible:

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1805736296264220947

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Esran posted:

I feel like at this point Genocide Joe is yelling through a loudspeaker directly at the few remaining people in this thread who believe that aw shucks he's just trying his best, and deep down he cares about the Palestinians:

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/06/24/us-hezbollah-israel-attack-conflict-00164761

The US is basically telling Lebanon that they're going to get attacked, and they'd better not retaliate, because the US will do whatever it takes to assist their dog, no matter how rabid it gets.

This is just so loving stupid, what kind of a negotiating tactic even is this?

"Hey we actually have no leverage to affect what happens at all so . . . "

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

OctaMurk posted:

This is just so loving stupid, what kind of a negotiating tactic even is this?

"Hey we actually have no leverage to affect what happens at all so . . . "

All of this comes down to the typical mindset among a lot of the west that if Arabs were reasonable they would understand that it's their duty to just lay down and die.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007

The Zionist freaks are extending their illegal blockade of food to Palestinians to include the thousands they're holding hostage.
https://aja.ws/g9qctj?update=6664294

quote:

Israel's prison administration has drastically reduced food for Palestinian prisoners since October 7.‎

‎National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir says reducing food for Palestinian detainees is part of the deterrence measures.‎

‎The amount of food provided to Palestinian prisoners falls far short of the minimum required by international law.

In other news, Zionist freak has a totally normal one.
https://twitter.com/GalG_IL/status/1805345967161376955

Meanwhile in Germany, "THERE IS A LIST!"
https://twitter.com/QudsNen/status/1805753500267135084

Quantum Cat fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 26, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The semiotics of a Zionist loser recapitulating the Nazis' genocidal horrors while also getting a numbers tattoo on their arm are truly something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Defenders of Israel could write The Holocaust Did Not Take Place with how flippantly they use the subject to defend their grotesque atrocities.