Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Today we're going to focus on this quest...well, that and all the other random stuff that usually happens in our misadventures.

The quest doesn't give a marker, but considering the appearance of this area to the west of the stable...I'm willing to guess this is probably it.

It's pretty much a straight shot down to the spring.

You know, when you're ignoring distractions. But these leaves look awfully weird...

There we go.

Looks like we found the spring. Now let's see if we have the relic we need.

Offer Dinraal's scale, received from the red spirit, to the Spring of Power. I, Goddess Hylia, will guide you.

The Triforce consists of three parts: Courage, Wisdom, and Power. We found the Spring of Courage in the woods of southeast Hyrule, which requires Farosh's scale. Now the Spring of Power requires Dinraal's scale.

But we've got the information to parse this together. Remember that we've also encountered the Spring of Wisdom at the peak of a tall snowy mountain. You may remember the giant dragon we fought in the air. At the end, the dragon dropped a scale, which we offered in the spring, opening the way to a shrine. Now remember that we encountered a red dragon in the northwestern part of Akkala last update, watching it head west.

Our best bet is to head back to the area, but give ourselves a better chance to chase it until we can find a point to shoot at it and grab its scale.

That's not all, though! There's also a memory within this spring.

https://d.mega64.net/botw/u42/016.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92QjJYXi1A

I come seeking help...regarding this power that has been handed down over time...

And yet...

Music: Link's Memories - Slumbering Power

And Mother said her own power would develop within me.

Father has told me time and time again...

Curse you...

I've spent every day of my life dedicated to praying! I've pleaded to the spirits tied to the ancient gods... And still the holy powers have proven deaf to my devotion. Please just tell me... What is it...?

The running theme of these memories are Zelda's struggles to find her powers. The prophecy relies on the courage of a hero and the sealing powers of the princess to keep the beast at bay. But being a figure of such vital importance is...kind of stressful for a teenage girl, especially if you're struggling to even obtain such powers. This becomes less a prayer session and more Zelda venting some frustration and crying out in desperation over still not having these powers.

And of course this game is minimalist in a lot of its music, especially past themes, but that just makes them hit harder when they do land. So Zelda's Lullaby shines pretty well here.

Meanwhile, all Link remembers is how incredibly awkward it was to pretend not to listen or pay attention. Watching people meltdown in person is...not usually a great memory later on.

Anyway, the actual entrance is obscured with vines we can simply walk through.

And right outside are a bunch of flying guardians. Oh, joy.

The quarry is lower than the surrounding terrain of course, with several large column-like rocks dotting the area.

And of course, since it's a quarry, there's ore and gems to be had. We do want 500 rupees to get that Great Fairy, after all!

We just, er, have to be careful.

So...what could go wrong?

https://d.mega64.net/botw/u42/045.mp4

Oh.

Somehow I don't die and come off a richer Champion of Hyrule. Kind of a shame Link didn't have a savings account a hundred years ago, he'd be pretty loaded by now.

The ore tracker draws me to the northwestern mountainous area. The dragon spawns close by, so the plan is to get some more gems and scale upward until night falls, then make our way parallel to the dragon, with the idea of paragliding from a great height to get much-needed distance, since that dragon moves pretty fast.

So higher we climb.

Quite the view!

Also quite the view!

We're not alone, however. A few powerful enemies pepper the mountain paths.

Not that they're much issue.

Yawn, another spear.

So onward we travel on the edge of the mountains.

Eventually we reach the south end of Skull Lake. We'll continue along the western edge since it's relatively unexplored.

There's the rare ruined building here and there.

With the usual rewards, of course.

https://d.mega64.net/botw/u42/072.mp4

And of course it'd be pointless to climb a mountain if you didn't have foes to knock off it!

Further up, we find another Meteo Wizzrobe.

It guards some really valuable loot.

I decide to let it live because I heard if left alive, it'll pull a trick from its sleeve.

https://d.mega64.net/botw/u42/080.mp4

SOMEBODY PLEASE SEND HELP

It goes freaking ballistic and rains living hell on the area.

It's time to cool off.

Night has fallen. Hopefully the dragon will show up again soon since it was dark when we first saw it.

https://d.mega64.net/botw/u42/085.mp4

I pass the time in my usual ways.

And then...

Music: Dragon

Jackpot!

This leads us to this hot spring area.

Hot springs are rare in this world, but relaxing in one will slowly recover your health.

Hmmmm.

This area looks intriguing.

And apparently there's a shrine on top of that massive pillar!

Sadly, I don't think the dragon will wait for us if we explored here, so we'll mark it and revisit it later.

Finally, it starts descending rapidly.

Towards that very large skeleton...

Blast... We couldn't catch up to it.

I think this skeleton is supposed to be a callback to a giant creature in a previous Zelda game, but I'm not sure which one.

Anyway, I have an idea.

The dragon approached here around dawn, so if we wait until morning...

There we go.

This is Dinraal, the dragon of fire.

You can't kill or harm the dragons. The way the dragons work is you simply shoot them with an arrow.

The first time you shoot one, they'll always drop a scale. However, they'll respawn daily, and always in the same locations. Subsequent times, if you shoot them in their fangs or horns, you'll grab shards of those parts instead. Anywhere else on the body results in another scale.

We might end up farming these parts in the future...

For now, though, we've got what we were looking for. Time to head back!

If ya have any ore, DO NOT eat it! Instead, sell it at this stable! Though, I guess a non-Goron wouldn't be tempted to eat it anyway... Weird.

Alright. We've got the sacred relic. Let's finish this up!

Quest complete!

Now we have just one things left to do...

What, you think we were going to enter the Spring of Power and not come out of this without a challenge of physical fortitude?

Major Strength Challenges are more endurance than anything, namely weapon endurance. Foes have a ton of HP, so we'll want to bump our offense up high. Fortunately, the move set the scout has is identical to past fights.

This Scout has two powerful weapons and a sturdy shield. This won't be a cakewalk.

Spin to Win.

https://d.mega64.net/botw/u42/133.mp4

There's no columns in this arena for the scout to spin into, so we have to make our own!

I burn through several weapons during the course of this fight.

It's basically the same as every other one of these fights, just five times or so longer.

It does drop some nice loot, though.

This shield is now our strongest shield.

The spear's good, not the strongest spear but it'll do nicely against Guardian enemies.

And this is really nice for a one-handed weapon.

And a bonus.

Another job well done!

And we finally get another heart. Hooray, now we'll die slightly less often! Probably!

Next time, we'll spend money to acquire more power and then explore the eastern coast of Akkala.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread