Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ap0calyps3
May 14, 2009

Avalanche posted:

What the gently caress is with that Razor laptop? Thing has like a 23" screen. loving why?

Probably like $7000 too

Maybe he has impaired vision. Why do you hate rich blind people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Sarsapariller posted:

Hmm. Well, up until a couple of weeks ago I was pretty certain there wasn't going to be a game.

They'll have to add a whole hell of a lot more than that. We are way past the point where trickling out one or two minor details at a time is sufficient. This is an okay platform on which to build a game- you've got physics and ships and you can get in and out of them. Content had better come hot and heavy now or interest will wane rapidly.

The foundations are there and almost nothing else. The guns aren't done, the ships aren't done, the character movement sucks, the quest mechanics are rear end, the NPC's are tedious, there is no progression mechanism, there's no functioning economy. You've got space, ships, and the ability to walk around them, and that's it.

It doesn't. It offers a moderately interesting 2 hour experience at a price tag that would make NASA blush.

You do realize that you're in denial, right?

There still isn't a game. There isn't even much of a 'platform to build on'.

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
it's perfectly reasonable to call freelancer a tangible game, but don't forget that microsoft had get on chris roberts' shoulders to get him to release it at a reasonable time (2 years ahead of its original schedule). if he didn't, more money would have been wasted on feature-creep.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

ZenMaster posted:

Thanks for the thought out response. Interesting read as I am an ex-mod as well. So, what about my other question just before the one about the bans?

Which one?

I haven't been reading here recently. I looked through your posts and I saw one about my thoughts. My friend has not finished downloading it yet. I did play with some others yesterday, and it's a nice beginning. There's a number of interesting issues going on. One of my favorites (from an amusement standpoint) is that because the servers have never been this stable (even the best patches in the PTU would have servers crashing every 2 hours or so), there's a number of new bugs showing up. In fixing the AI-caused server crash (2.0.0M) they ended up exposing other issues like the terminals locking up because they have some kind of corruption bug in the terminals, which are stand-ins to just poop out ships for people. I'm reminded of the alpha for Natural Selection 2, did anyone else fund that? NS2 was announced in 2006. If you pre-ordered the special edition (which I did) in 2009, you could get into the Alpha when it launched in July of 2010. Bear with me while I explain why I have a different perspective on things, that are the results of previous experiences. So, NS2 digression.

They had just delivered the first major engine feature complete build, you could walk, shoot, and supposedly start a match, but the servers were so crashy no one could get in long enough to really try it out. Here's some impressions, a few months after the very first (149) build: http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=24366995#item_24366995

quote:

Still a disappointment :(
Download huge update.
Try to log into server. (Timed out)

Logged into 2nd server
5min of black screen.
Finally saw ready room
10min of sitting there unable to move. (I saw 3 chat messages during this time)
got to move all of 3 feet.
paused for another 10min.

/end task

A few months later in December, one of the devs chimed in in an RPS thread: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/12/16/yes-natural-selection-2-beta-game-footage/ (Charlie) to talk about the issues they were facing. Small studio, designing their own engine, very alpha. There was fun to be had, but it came between lots of disconnects, server crashes, missing features, and most of the content not being in yet. By July of 2011 there was enough to make it a recommend, for users who don't mind playing in a true beta (as opposed to a 'release demo' beta like the major publishers do). I tend to focus on a particular feature for a game to be a delight for me, and in the case of NS2 what I wanted was the Lurk. I like flying and sniping and doing defense, and the Lurk felt like it captured all the best elements of what made NS2 unique, much like the Constellation would do for SC years later. That's when the game finally meshed with my interests. Here's my post from 2011 about the beta: http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=26402937#item_26402937 - You can see I'm one of those tester kinds of people who enjoys the mess of a game in development and watching features land, improvements come, and the gameplay get refined. It that major reason why I get involved in so many kickstarters.

Back to the question: SC 2.0 feels very similar to that point in Natural Selection 2. Here we are, years after the announcement, with the first Alpha of the engine completed, and the developers are able to iterate quickly for the first time. For 2.0 they pushed out 13 patches in 3 weeks to bring what was a crashy and buggy mess to a buggy mess. There's fun to be had, especially if you like open world craziness and don't mind development jank, but it has a long way to go. Most of the gameplay systems are not in, features are not finished and there's a lot of bugs, server lag and client lag. You're just beginning to see the possibilities. Running around in a Constellation, hijacking other people's ships at stations and running amock between slowdowns is, as Sarsapariller pointed out, a bit of make-your-own fun, but it is -very- early, there is quite a bit of jank. I like testing, and I don't mind jank because I tend to find a particular detail/element that symbolizes what the game will eventually be and explore it.

All that is a long way of saying, this process is not a new experience for me which includes paying a lot for access to a messy, buggy alpha. :) I'll let you all know what I think once my friend finishes downloading. He said he'd have it by tomorrow morning.

Loiosh fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 13, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Avalanche posted:

What the gently caress is with that Razor laptop? Thing has like a 23" screen. loving why?

Probably like $7000 too

Actually they're reasonably priced (for that sort of thing) at between $1200 - $1700

But that would put the amount of $$ in that one room at well over $10,000

A laptop, a couch and some chairs, $10,000

I'm sure their individual offices are all spartan and filled with cheap furniture to keep costs down though right... right?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

My issue is not so much the delays and bugs of SC but seeing the money going to expensive furniture or 5 mocap studios and what not.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

D_Smart posted:

Prepare your BODIES for what's coming next!! https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list

quote:

Seamless first-person gameplay! Transit between the interior of your ship to outer space and back without any loading screen! Fly, fight, and spacewalk all in the same game.

But I thought that was already in? :confused:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

13 patches in 3 weeks and being able to iterate quickly is a meaningless thing. Bethesda could push 13 patches for fallout or you could push 13 for hello world. It doesn't mean anything.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

And lo, it was as if the very gates of Heaven itself opened up, with glorious lens flares blinding us with their eternal light.

And then a massive pile of money fell out of your pocket and we all went straight to hell.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

phosdex posted:

13 patches in 3 weeks and being able to iterate quickly is a meaningless thing. Bethesda could push 13 patches for fallout or you could push 13 for hello world. It doesn't mean anything.

You are correct, I guess I need to state that those patches did address a number of issues, both major and minor. The 2.0.0 release that came out was, as Derek indicated, not at all ready. I think most of the goons here would say that 2.0.0M still isn't ready, and they're correct from their perspective. It's buggy. It has a number of issues, both major (terminal lockup over time, FPS drops from AI spawning, teleporting due to global grid->local grid transactions not handled correctly) and minor.

But, I feel it would be disingenuous to say those 13 patches did not make improvements, some major (lots of crashes on the client and server) and minor (like fixing the z-fighting for the LOD shadow system). That's my opinion, of course, and I know people disagree. I'm not here to defend CIG the company or the forums or whatever else people seem to want out of me. When I've posted, it's been about my perspective on development and my thoughts on SC. And I totally understand that people disagree, and I respect them and read a lot of what is posted here and elsewhere. I like being informed because it helps give a wider perspective.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Loiosh posted:

You are correct, I guess I need to state that those patches did address a number of issues, both major and minor. The 2.0.0 release that came out was, as Derek indicated, not at all ready. I think most of the goons here would say that 2.0.0M still isn't ready, and they're correct from their perspective. It's buggy. It has a number of issues, both major (terminal lockup over time, FPS drops from AI spawning, teleporting due to global grid->local grid transactions not handled correctly) and minor.

But, I feel it would be disingenuous to say those 13 patches did not make improvements, some major (lots of crashes on the client and server) and minor (like fixing the z-fighting for the LOD shadow system). That's my opinion, of course, and I know people disagree. I'm not here to defend CIG the company or the forums or whatever else people seem to want out of me. When I've posted, it's been about my perspective on development and my thoughts on SC. And I totally understand that people disagree, and I respect them and read a lot of what is posted here and elsewhere. I like being informed because it helps give a wider perspective.

Someone actually made some graphs and stuff: The Road to Live Alpha 2.0 - A Statistical Story

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Cuntpunch posted:

You do realize that you're in denial, right?

There still isn't a game. There isn't even much of a 'platform to build on'.

I feel like you're taking the kind of anemic praise that I'm giving the game incorrectly.

I am using the word "Game" to describe the software object I am interacting with because it's nice to have terms for things. I'm not in saying it's good in any sense that a person shopping on Steam would use to evaluate a regular video game. If anyone's considering putting money down I say hell no, stay away.

But the tech demo is interesting and I've had fun messing with it, sometimes in spite of itself. I don't think it's denial to acknowledge that.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

I feel like you're taking the kind of anemic praise that I'm giving the game incorrectly.

I am using the word "Game" to describe the software object I am interacting with because it's nice to have terms for things. I'm not in saying it's good in any sense that a person shopping on Steam would use to evaluate a regular video game. If anyone's considering putting money down I say hell no, stay away.

But the tech demo is interesting and I've had fun messing with it, sometimes in spite of itself. I don't think it's denial to acknowledge that.

Tried it a bit more last night and for the first time I didn't crash within the first few minutes. Was actually pretty fun, hopping from location to location hunting for players. I am really digging the damage model and losing parts of your ship as you get shot up.

They indeed need to start adding some content asap.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Avalanche posted:

Probably like $7000 too

Is this from The Star Wars Holiday Special?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Avalanche posted:

Probably like $7000 too

It does not matter it is free from razer

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I don't care about star citizen and I'm never going to play it but nonetheless I read this whole thread and now I'm going to tell you about how you're all terrible people and do that classic Internet thing where I pretend you're all really angry.

ps my referral code is PAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRPPPPPP

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Much like White Star Line, Arthur Andersen and Ben's cardiologist, I don't think 'too big to fail' is a sound position.

There are some pretty models in this viewer app tho, fair play.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

We should start hanging out in r/starcitizen

Everyone gets a ban!

I have been considering trying to overcome my revulsion for the terrible format and getting on reddit because it just feels like such a rich target environment and the possibilities of working from the inside seem endless.

However never having used reddit I have plenty of questions that I'm sure some of you goons can help with. 1-Can you associate more than one account with one email or can the mods see what email the account is associated? 2- What about IP, can you post from more than one account from the same IP or can the mods see what IP you are in and notice sock puppets? 3- If that is the case, are there any free proxies that work? 4- can a mod know what you upvoted or downvoted?

I don't intend to touch the poo by posting directly but I imagine that the way the voting works you can subtly nudge the discussion but if the mods can see how you vote then it becomes obvious what you are doing.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 13, 2015

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

I have been considering trying to overcome my revulsion for the terrible format and getting on reddit because it just feels like such a rich target environment and the possibilities of working from the inside seem endless.

However never having used reddit I have plenty of questions that I'm sure some of you goons can help with. 1-Can you associate more than one account with one email or can the mods see what email the account is associated? 2- What about IP, can you post from more than one account from the same IP or can the mods see what IP you are in and notice sock puppets? 3- If that is the case, are there any free proxies that work? 4- can a mod know what you upvoted or downvoted?

No need for email, especially if you are creating throw away accounts.

Reddit does not require email, only optional for password recovery.

There are two types of mods..

Subreddit mods like the self righteous dolvak

And there are the main reddit mods/admins

Subreddit mods will not know your ip unless they request it from main admins

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 13, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I would totally post on reddit but only on topics I'm actually interested in, I just never bothered because I find having to dig through multiple pages for separate comment threads in a single topic mildly inconvenient for my low-effort browsing style.

I'm just here for amusement and this is currently the most active schadenfreude thread.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EminusSleepus posted:

No need for email, especially if you are creating throw away accounts.

Reddit does not require email, only optional for password recovery

Ah, thanks. I presume then that mods have no way of knowing who you are? There is no IP log like wikipedia? But in that case what prevents goons or any other group from creating 100 accounts each and completely mess with the voting?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Ah, thanks. I presume then that mods have no way of knowing who you are? There is no IP log like wikipedia? But in that case what prevents goons or any other group from creating 100 accounts each and completely mess with the voting?

Of your account is new and you create a thread it will not appear, make your account active first by replying to other threads.

Also if your account has a lot of downvotes it will require you to post after 10 minutes after a post you made.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EminusSleepus posted:

Of your account is new and you create a thread it will not appear, make your account active first by replying to other threads.

Also if your account has a lot of downvotes it will require you to post after 10 minutes after a post you made.

OK, but as far as voting is concerned, do your votes count even if you aren't an active poster? Can mods see how you vote?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

OK, but as far as voting is concerned, do your votes count even if you aren't an active poster? Can mods see how you vote?

Yes your vote counts and no subreddit mods knows jackshit about who down voted

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EminusSleepus posted:

Yes your vote counts and no subreddit mods knows jackshit about who down voted

Jesus christ, it's even more poo poo than I guessed. I imagine that all these assholes with huge karma have several sockpuppets upvoting the crap they post?

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
reddit's voting design is what makes it generally awful. awful comments can get brought up to the very top, while comments that actually give insightful feedback get drowned. this happens more often than you think, too.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Jesus christ, it's even more poo poo than I guessed. I imagine that all these assholes with huge karma have several sockpuppets upvoting the crap they post?

Well yes and a good evidence is /r/starcitizen

When it started it was the place for banned/probated/outcast/outspoken backers of SC like me but when CIG staffs started posting there the spergs followed and now it has become an echo chamber of spergs

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EminusSleepus posted:

Well yes and a good evidence is /r/starcitizen

When it started it was the place for banned/probated/outcast/outspoken backers of SC like me but when CIG staffs started posting there the spergs followed and now it has become an echo chamber of spergs

An echo antechamber then, anyone that still wants to go deeper and enters the RSI forums are guaranteed to be the schmucks.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I know Nineteen Eighty-Four gets trotted out all the time but that Seriously, the state of this project is dire - and the Alpha demonstrates exactly that thread has gone full :siren:Goldstein:siren:. How many 2/3 year old backer accounts does Derek Smart have, exactly? When did he start planning all this? Don't they realize at some point that this is the seventeenth Derek Smart they outed?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 13, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why are CIG people posting pictures of themselves stuffing their fat faces while sitting on a couch? idgi.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

These three posters have spent $125, $250, and $1000 respectively. They should have sent a poet.

Is there some investment table? Knowing how much these people have spent should be informative while reading their posts.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Unfunny Poster posted:

Why are CIG people posting pictures of themselves stuffing their fat faces while sitting on a couch? idgi.

It's all about transparency, so the backers can see how their money is being spent.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wait those are from Twitch. Wtf are they streaming them watching somethin? lmao.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Is there some investment table? Knowing how much these people have spent should be informative while reading their posts.

You can hover in their forum badge and check here

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Titles

But some whales choose not to reveal their true level of spergness and sometime just put on the scout badge

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Nemo2342 posted:

It's all about transparency, so the backers can see how their money is being spent.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
If someone said Shart Sitizen was a mod for Crysis 3 i'd probably believe them.

That's how bad it is.

There really isn't anything all that original in Shitizen. Pretty much a copy/paste job with gravity=0 against black skyboxes with white dots.

Even the cult mentality isn't that original. If you're going to sucker people out of their money, at least don't use the Jim Jones model.

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 13, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ThomasPancake posted:

All I can say to this is you are seriously delusional lol.

Never been to RSI forums, don't really give a poo poo about StarCitizen. Will never play it even if it released with every promise fulfilled. Just not my kind of game.

But when I saw they made an announcement that the game is progressing (they released some new aspect or some poo poo) , and had secured further funding, I knew I could come here to see a bunch of autistic manchildren having an epic tantrum and I was not disappointed.

"People here laugh a lot and have a jovial and good time."

I really really can't get over that you said that and probably actually believe, in some titanium compartmentalized part of your mind, that that is in any way true. This place overflows with such seething incoherent raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage. This was so worth it. My god this hilarious.

You should start a thread about how terrible the people posting in this thread are. I'd read it.

:gary:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It looks like Doom 3 if you weren't made of clay. Even the same dinky and tinny gun sounds are something you'd find in Doom 3.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is it my impression or reddit does shadowbans? Guess i better stick to voting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MeLKoR posted:

Is it my impression or reddit does shadowbans? Guess i better stick to voting.

No they do shadowbans.

• Locked thread