Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Sub-Actuality)

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

hamsauce666 posted:

: Complete Gates of Moria

This is pretty rad so far. It controls *way* smoother than I would expect a game of this age to. I haven't been able to puzzle out how to get better scores on kills. Seems like I'll be mostly getting "fair" and "good" call-outs, with the occasional random "excellent". Is it just not getting hit?

Yeah I believe your score is based on not getting hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
the combo meter also drains over time, so you can spam the Parry button to be effectively invincible but that means you'll just keep getting fair/good. don't sweat getting good combos until you unlock more stuff though.

turn off signatures

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Got petrified by a living spell just outside zot. aids

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gimli is dogshit to play as

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Namtab posted:

Gimli is dogshit to play as

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Game 3-14

Ultima VII: The Black Gate (PC-DOS) - 1992 - Deadline 4/30/24 11:59EST

A long time of peace has gone by in Britannia, with no great threats disturbing the lives of the people. Yet, something is amiss in the land. Magic seems to be dying, with mages becoming mad. The people are unhappy and feel spiritually empty and betrayed in life. A new sect called "The Fellowship" expands its membership in the lower classes and secures influence through their prominent members who ascend to leading positions in society.

Ultima VII: The Black Gate is the seventh installment of the Ultima RPG series, released on April 16, 1992. In it, the player returns as The Avatar, a would-be paragon of moral virtue who faces down many dangers and deceptions in order to cleanse the medieval fantasy world of Britannia of assorted plots and schemes, monster infestations, and the undermining of crown authority.

ads were basically nonexistent so here's a scan of the badass cloth map that came with the game instead (click for large size)

LORD BRITISH HIMSELF EXPLAINS ULTIMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WczXxmgsWr4

Link to the game manual:

:siren: NOTE: The game will work in DOS but it's a pain in the rear end. Exult is a fan-made engine that makes the experience a lot smoother with a lot of QoL improvements, I recommend it :siren:

Trophies:

: Reach Britain
: Assemble of a team of five
: Find the Magic Carpet
: Acquire the Skeleton Key
: Meet the Time Lord
: Step foot on the Isle of the Avatar
: Destroy the Black Gate
: Complete all side quests (PLATINUM)

:siren:Game starts 4/1/24 12AM EST:siren:

Thanks to In Training for the game and trophy picks, and good luck imps!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
interesting choice

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Never played any of these but always heard 7 is killer. Hope you all enjoy.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

lol

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

In Training posted:

Never played any of these but always heard 7 is killer. Hope you all enjoy.

I've been meaning to try it for a while.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ultima 7: the brown gate

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fantastic pick

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

turn off signatures

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
man, that's a hell of a pick...

here's a link to the answers to all the copy protection questions because do you really want to dig up a jpeg of a map when there's kobolds to fight and bread to bake

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Sub-Actuality posted:

: Reach Britain

claiming this effortlessly when April rolls around :c00l:

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

claiming this effortlessly when April rolls around :c00l:

lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

This game hasn't lost a step

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

herculon posted:

This game hasn't lost a step

The balin's tomb level was so fun, it's just a mosh pit lol

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Died on my last Crawl character of the month that I was playing little by little in Vaults 5. Playing little by little is what ended me because I forgot all about the badass bog spell I had been using along with Alistair's Intoxication and got crushed by the recall guys surrounding me over and over. yeah RIP

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Died on my last Crawl character of the month that I was playing little by little in Vaults 5. Playing little by little is what ended me because I forgot all about the badass bog spell I had been using along with Alistair's Intoxication and got crushed by the recall guys surrounding me over and over. yeah RIP

rip. these days I often read a teleport scroll before going downstairs to V:5 because that central area is so brutal and you can't stairdance with the wardens

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Arch Nemesis posted:

rip. these days I often read a teleport scroll before going downstairs to V:5 because that central area is so brutal and you can't stairdance with the wardens

Yeah this was after I barely survived my first round of V:5 where I did immediately teleport. Blew all my translocation scrolls during that

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

: Complete Plains of Rohan
: Level up Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas to level 5

Gimli is such a lead weight that i had to get this far in to hit level 5. I hate him

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I remember the SNES port of Ultima 7 being weird garbage despite 6's being pretty close to the DOS version.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Hype for Black Gate. Seven disks!!!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

idk if I can look at Ultima 7 for more than 10 minutes without feeling nauseous

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

i looked up a gameplay video and immediately felt sick

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

: Die 25 Times

prisoner in lair of the imp might be impossible lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ultima 7 is one of those classic RPGs I cannot look at and don't enjoy playing at all. I like 4-6. Underworld has been on my list for a potential monthly

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

: Finish Mehmet’s first quest

: Enter Grit Gate

: Find Klanq

: Kill a Legendary Creature

farthest i've gotten in qud. v fun. probably won't play again for a while though, too many other games going on. and no time !!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh yeah also

not in qud though a different tgame

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Leadthumb posted:

prisoner in lair of the imp might be impossible lol

:smugdog:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

also

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I revisited a recent favorite and decided to avoid playing it safe and instead go for every malignant item and see what happens lol. Most weren't too bad but one malfunction that's "lose 10-15% of your health whenever you pick up an item" sucks a lot. Here's how the last run ended

And I died 25 times in this official roguelike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oddium posted:

oh yeah also

not in qud though a different tgame

whar game