Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's OK to have one that starts at 50% or even 0%. Especially once you get Equilibrium+. Just don't make it your first garb. It works well on DPS garbs like Soldier of Peace, since you're probably going to debuff or stagger the boss and by that point the ATB should be mostly full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
My main set up is Velvet Bouncer with the Shard Sword for straight physical attack with maybe an elemental sword in there that is best for whatever area I'm in. Then the one you get when you do the stage show since it has a nice Fira and seems alright for being a straight caster (better than Black Mage which bizarrely has two slots taken up by crappy weak magic). And then I got the one that has Deprotect/Deshell and slapped an Aero on it to round out all my elements and I mainly use that for debuffing everything. Then again I'm on easy so I don't really have to try too hard to make things work.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Is poison any good in LR? I don't get to cast it cus the enemies die to regular poo poo before I can notice.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's really good on one of the super bosses.

Tae posted:

I like the generic stuff like Velvet Bouncer, but I'm prioritizing ATB over stats in my choices. That's why I stay away from most of the "start at 50%."

Like, if I could customize it, I would wear the butler outfit all day.
Yeah I really wished they'd let us move abilities around or something. I mostly rolled out with a generalist set cause I liked the looks. I was really bad at the Monk garb so I never used it. Soldier of Peace (artemis arrows) is so goddamn ugly that I couldn't bring myself to use it. In the end, I was doing most of my damage through spells and used a spell based setup for everything (the elementa spells are also really good but you need to level them up manually and that's mostly NG+ territory). I had to cycle in some actual physical damage for the end of the game.

I had to break down and use cat girl for the super bosses though. I just never found an easier way to do those outside of abusing magic sword or w/e. That garb sucks on everything else though.

Jump is actually pretty good if you are happy to use that accessory or whatever that lets you jump twice (three times in NG+) at the cost of your max hp. Spears look pretty badass too! Staggers like crazy and does good damage afterwards.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 20, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone bored enough to sell me on Lightning Returns now that it's out on PC? Never actually got around to 13-2, and I never got past the "20 hour tutorial" or whatever in 13.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it has fun gameplay and you can play dressup

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone bored enough to sell me on Lightning Returns now that it's out on PC? Never actually got around to 13-2, and I never got past the "20 hour tutorial" or whatever in 13.

it's really nothing like 13 or 13-2 so you may actually like this one

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nakar posted:

It's OK to have one that starts at 50% or even 0%. Especially once you get Equilibrium+. Just don't make it your first garb. It works well on DPS garbs like Soldier of Peace, since you're probably going to debuff or stagger the boss and by that point the ATB should be mostly full.

Yeah it feels like it's fine to have a 50% ATB dressphere as long as it isn't your opener. I have two 100s and one 50 and I've never switched to it at less than full. It fills up during my attack animations, it's pretty sweet.

Ciaphas posted:

It's actually really fun, the combat is exciting and your brain has to keep track of a number of factors. I'm not even cringing at the story. This is coming from someone who didn't like FF13-1 at all.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 20, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well sounds like it's at least worth giving a look, thanks. Any dumb gameplay poo poo I should know going in or is it pretty well explained (or at least has a good manual)?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's pretty intuitive, but I needed corn to explain to me the difference between "Magic" and "Elemental Magic (e.g. Thunder, Ice)." You can bring up a list of an enemy's known weaknesses at any time, and it lists Fire, Ice, Wind, Thunder, Physical, and Magic. If an enemy is weak to an element, but resistant to both magic and physical attacks, assume it means "magic element" and "plain physical attacks" and that a magic spell like Thunder is just its own element and not also classified as magic. It'll hit the weakness just fine.

The one dumb thing I've run into with the whole battle system so far.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'll just sub out "magic" for "arcane" in my head and it'll make perfect sense, then. Thanks :v:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's actually a little simpler than that. Attacks that run off Strength generally are Physical, attacks that run off Magic are Magical. This is completely distinct from elemental affinity; there are attacks like Flamestrike which are Physical Fire in the same sense the spell Firaga is Magical Fire. The resistances are multiplied together. So something that is Resistant to Magic and Weak to Fire gets a damage/stagger bonus from being hit by Fire, but also a small penalty from being hit by Magic. In such a case the best practice is actually to hit it with an elemental physical attack.

This is why Magic Slash works so well against one of the bonus bosses. It's non-elemental and considered both Physical and Magical. Normally this is bad, but the boss gains Unprotect and Unshelled from staggers and can also be Deprotected and Deshelled, meaning those two weaknesses are massively increased and multiply with Imperil + his elemental weakness + an En- spell to turn Magic Slash into an insane damage source. All other attacks are only getting the benefit of one of the two massive multipliers from his lowered defense.

EDIT: This is also why the Ruin line exists. Ruin is the magic equivalent of Attack, which you might remember if you played the previous two FFXIIIs and used Hope as a COM or something. Completely non-elemental, relatively efficient damage, high Stagger Maintenance but low Stagger Power.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 20, 2015

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
the story is still poo poo, but switching costumes mid-battle ala FFX-2 is the best.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

How long does it take to get from the start to actually get interesting?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
About as long as it takes for you to fight something that's substantially stronger than you are, but still realistically killable. Admittedly, this varies from person to person, but it took me about, I dunno, ninety minutes?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You pretty much get turned loose within an hour, and at that point you can run off and find your own fun wherever you like. The fact that you can do basically anything and the game isn't really forcing you to do it in any particular order (after the pseudo-tutorial quests) is part of the charm and it grows on you relatively quickly.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

It's pretty intuitive, but I needed corn to explain to me the difference between "Magic" and "Elemental Magic (e.g. Thunder, Ice)." You can bring up a list of an enemy's known weaknesses at any time, and it lists Fire, Ice, Wind, Thunder, Physical, and Magic. If an enemy is weak to an element, but resistant to both magic and physical attacks, assume it means "magic element" and "plain physical attacks" and that a magic spell like Thunder is just its own element and not also classified as magic. It'll hit the weakness just fine.

The one dumb thing I've run into with the whole battle system so far.

physical attacks can have elements too, plus there's non-elemental magic (i.e. ruin). if you attack with a physical attack that hits their elemental weakness it'll still do bonus damage, which is useful if something is weak to elements but resists magic. there's also poo poo that resists all the elements but is weak to magic so you wanna spam ruin at them.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

DQ6 was really easy until they decided to make an upgraded version of a recent boss a random encounter

These arrghoyles are loving savage

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh ok, so Physical and Magic are a separate class entirely from elemental type, got it.

Only about 30 minutes in, just got to the Ark or whatever and holy fuckin moly that's a lot of DLC dressup, I'm a bit overwhelmed already on what gear is good (disregarding being the prettiest princess and/or fanciest wizard for the moment) :ohdear:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Ciaphas posted:

Oh ok, so Physical and Magic are a separate class entirely from elemental type, got it.

Only about 30 minutes in, just got to the Ark or whatever and holy fuckin moly that's a lot of DLC dressup, I'm a bit overwhelmed already on what gear is good (disregarding being the prettiest princess and/or fanciest wizard for the moment) :ohdear:
Ignore all DLC dressup if you don't want to steamroll all over the game.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The only DLC I'd use on a NG run are the two garbs from FFXIII/FFXIII-2 save imports, if the PC version has them. They're the ones with Lightning's XIII and XIII-2 outfits. They don't have any broken abilities and they've got four empty slots which is handy for customization. The themed DLC garbs have some insanely good abilities (the Yuna one is ridiculous), though the samurai-style ones might be OK.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
So which status effects are most useful? I'm mostly just using Deprotect/Deshell but I know Slow and Imperil were pretty huge in the last 2 games. And what is Curse good for?

And is it worth it to use the accessories that make your non-active ATBs fill each time you attack/use magic? I have them on but they don't seem to fill THAT much faster.

And finally for those of you really into the dress up side of things, don't forget that you can edit the colors of any costume and can even make your own pallet of original colors. I tend to pick an accessory that goes good with the outfit and change all the colors to fit with it. I'm just sad that you can only have one accessory on at a time per outfit. Come on, don't make me choose between tail OR ears!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Deprotect/Shell and Imperial are the most useful. Poison is for very specific bosses. Defaith/bravery are good to reduce hits from bosses.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The three you generally want are Deprotect, Deshell, and Imperil. Imperil lowers elemental resists by one stage and as such is incredibly important for staggering since you generally do that with spells. Poison is occasionally helpful. Curse makes it easier to interrupt enemies and makes it harder for them to interrupt you, but it's usually not worth a slot because you can move Lightning and guard manually in LR so you're no longer reliant on AI-controlled entities bashing their heads together. Dispel is rarely helpful but it does strip enemy buffs and it has the highest damage boosts to debuff spells if you're using them for damage (or the damage buffer glitch).

You can find copies of Deprotect and Deshell at a decent level very easily in treasure spheres and on garbs. There's no garb I know of with Imperil so you have to get a drop of it; Desert Sahagins drop Imperil so it's worth farming it from them ASAP. Don't go out of your way to find Poison/Curse/Dispel, as you'll probably get Poison eventually just from killing things and the other two aren't huge priorities.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Where is it best to go right at the start? After the initial day 1 story events in luxarion I headed out to the wild lands and almost immediately got into a fight with a reaver that I barely did any damage to, since I had yet to get any abilities or swords and only had a couple garb upgrades from the first store.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's another city that's all about partying hard and not much combat outside of a few zones.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Personally I like to go to the Dead Dunes with whatever time is left on the first night, collect the easy treasures and try for Imperil, and activate the Cactuar statues and reach the town. Makes going back easier, there's a number of decent abilities in treasure spheres, and Dead Dunes enemies aren't too tough outside of Earth Eaters which you'll rarely see in the early days and can easily flee from and Cactuars which will run away from you anyway.

If you're feeling ballsy you could also try to go to Wildlands and rescue the chocobo ASAP to get started on healing him, but that requires you to fight a somewhat difficult encounter. However, there are a couple of really good garbs for sale at the ranch town in Wildlands that might be worth picking up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Where is it best to go right at the start? After the initial day 1 story events in luxarion I headed out to the wild lands and almost immediately got into a fight with a reaver that I barely did any damage to, since I had yet to get any abilities or swords and only had a couple garb upgrades from the first store.

Generally stay in luxarion and do quests until it's obvious you're done there. The other places (especially Dead Dunes) are areas with a lot more enemies that will kick your rear end because you don't have the debuff trinity to help you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Restarted to get rid of the DLC stuff and I'm still overwhelmed by choice :saddowns:. Oh well, probably fine to just roll with it at first, I imagine.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 20, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Getsuya posted:

So which status effects are most useful? I'm mostly just using Deprotect/Deshell but I know Slow and Imperil were pretty huge in the last 2 games. And what is Curse good for?

And is it worth it to use the accessories that make your non-active ATBs fill each time you attack/use magic? I have them on but they don't seem to fill THAT much faster.

And finally for those of you really into the dress up side of things, don't forget that you can edit the colors of any costume and can even make your own pallet of original colors. I tend to pick an accessory that goes good with the outfit and change all the colors to fit with it. I'm just sad that you can only have one accessory on at a time per outfit. Come on, don't make me choose between tail OR ears!

Curse makes it easier to interrupt enemies. It's not hugely useful since the big boss attacks usually can't be interrupted anyway but, because his skills are mostly just really rapid chains of attacks, it rips Noel all to hell

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Sorry if this has been answered already: if I have both a PC and PS3 (but prefer not to use the latter because it's slow), which is better for Lightning Returns?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

PC

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eldred posted:

Sorry if this has been answered already: if I have both a PC and PS3 (but prefer not to use the latter because it's slow), which is better for Lightning Returns?

PC 100%.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

If the PC version hosed like 13-1 or did they figure that out

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can't play Lightning Returns offline fyi, unless you do some illegal poo poo due to mandatory steam cloud.

I'm trying to figure out my physical DPS. Right now, it's between Martial monk with Locket Pendant or Artemis Slash. Main problem with Artemis is that he's so drat slow while Martian is super fast.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm on the second day trying to find these numbers before nightfall, I know the last one's in the Warren area but I can't get in there until midnight apparently. Is that gonna be too late or am I safe to go gently caress off somewhere else until then

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I'm on the second day trying to find these numbers before nightfall, I know the last one's in the Warren area but I can't get in there until midnight apparently. Is that gonna be too late or am I safe to go gently caress off somewhere else until then

Go somewhere else until then. The times when you're waiting for one quest to continue are the best times to run around in other places getting things done.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

you're safe. you can use the numbers anytime past midnight.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Ciaphas posted:

Don't worry. You have a 6 hour window to get back and do the rest of that stuff, and even if you miss it you can come back another day. Go gently caress off and do other stuff until the opportunity arises again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

DQ6 really decided to stop loving around

the real murdaw fight is working me over so god damned hard