Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
It's ridiculous that judges have to sentence based on those given at the time of the offence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It's ridiculous that judges have to sentence based on those given at the time of the offence.

It's horrible in this instance, but legally the logic is sound.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Its an integral part of a fair legal system. You cannot prosecute someone for a crime that did not exist when the offence was committed, right? (like in the case of Robert Schifreen and Stephen Gold, who could not be prosecuted for hacking because hacking was not a crime when they did it) So you also can't take a minor offence someone has committed, and then jack up the punishment for it, then apply that punishment to them. Again, its a method to unfairly manipulate the justice system, something no-one wants. It is aggravating, I agree, but the logic is sound, and the fact of the conviction does not change.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
He's not going to make it out alive so whether it's 16 or 20 is largely irrelevant I guess.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

nothing to seehere posted:

Its an integral part of a fair legal system. You cannot prosecute someone for a crime that did not exist when the offence was committed, right? (like in the case of Robert Schifreen and Stephen Gold, who could not be prosecuted for hacking because hacking was not a crime when they did it) So you also can't take a minor offence someone has committed, and then jack up the punishment for it, then apply that punishment to them. Again, its a method to unfairly manipulate the justice system, something no-one wants. It is aggravating, I agree, but the logic is sound, and the fact of the conviction does not change.

Also, if he's 70 now then he's going to spend all or most of the rest of his life in prison, a longer sentence would have little effect.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

The logic in minor crimes is sound, but crimes against minors should maybe be exempt from such a system.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The logic in minor crimes is sound, but crimes against minors should maybe be exempt from such a system.

You really, really, couldn't do that.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

You really, really, couldn't do that.

Oh.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

You say crimes against minors should be exempt, but why? it is because its a sexual crime, and therefore also why not rapes of adults be subject to the same conditions? And if rapes are not held to sentences of when they are committed, why not other sexual crimes? Or is it because the crime is committed against a child, and then you ask why not child murders are held to the same rules? And if child murder is worth breaking sentencing about, why not the murder of adults? Or any crime that harms a child, even if not grievously?

You can't just have one or two specific exemptions to these principles, because then you open the argument to broaden them, and then the entire system breaks down. Its not like he's getting away scot-free because of this, and he is still branded a child-rapist.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

You say crimes against minors should be exempt, but why> it is because its a sexual crime, and therefore also why not rapes of adults be subject to the same conditions? Or is it because the crime is committed against a child, and then you ask why not child murders are held to the same rules? And if child murder is worth breaking sentencing about, why not the murder of adults? Or any crime that harms a child, even if not grievously?

You can't just have one or two specific exemptions to these principles, because then you open the argument to broaden them, and then the entire system breaks down. Its not like he's getting away scot-free because of this, and he is still branded a child-rapist.

Well im not really sure why serious crimes couldnt be exempt from such a system. (I used crimes against minors only as a play on words used by the previous poster, sorry for any confusion). exemptions could be, idk, rape, and murder, and serious sexual abuse type crimes, if they were committed by an adult. Maybe burglary if they did a poo on the bed. No judge should have to hand down a sentence based on guidelines that were in force forty years ago, not for stuff that's really obviously illegal and horrific to do to someone.

We can't do it for hacking because it wasn't a crime in 1983. Fair. Murder and rape have been crimes for at least a few years, as far as I know, and most people are aware that they have been illegal for a while now, and I don't think they could use the defence 'I wouldn'ta done it guvnor if I'd known I could get fifty years!".

I should point out I'm a self-confessed idiot, and I'm often wrong, so forgive me if I say anything obviously stupid.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Punishing under modern guidelines would be punishment for the failures of law in the past - the failure to deter him and the failure to catch him. I.e. he may not have done it had today's rules applied back then, and if he'd have been caught then he would have served the 16 years.

What about the people already in jail? You can't apply modern sentencing to Gary Glitter just because he happened not to have been jailed at the time. It's inconsistent.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 28, 2015

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Brown Moses posted:

Just before the election, I'm sure Cameron is over the moon.

As an American whose entire connection to UK politics is HIGNFY (and a healthy loathing of Tories), this makes me smile.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

EvilGenius posted:

Punishing under modern guidelines would be punishment for the failures of law in the past - the failure to deter him and the failure to catch him. I.e. he may not have done it had today's rules applied back then, and if he'd have been caught then he would have served the 16 years.

What about the people already in jail? You can't apply modern sentencing to Gary Glitter just because he happened not to have been jailed at the time. It's inconsistent.

Yeah I don't like the "I wouldnt have done it if I'd known I would get more time" argument. Ignorance isn't a defence. I also think that, especially in cases involving children, if they were too young or afraid to come forward while it was happening the accused shouldn't benefit in sentencing because of that. Also, you raped kids (or murdered someone or whatever), go gently caress yourself, if you'd confessed forty years ago you'd have got those guidelines. You didn't, unlucky.

I do agree with the last argument you make, though, obviously. I still think exceptions could be made.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah I don't like the "I wouldnt have done it if I'd known I would get more time" argument. Ignorance isn't a defence. I also think that, especially in cases involving children, if they were too young or afraid to come forward while it was happening the accused shouldn't benefit in sentencing because of that. Also, you raped kids (or murdered someone or whatever), go gently caress yourself, if you'd confessed forty years ago you'd have got those guidelines. You didn't, unlucky.

I do agree with the last argument you make, though, obviously. I still think exceptions could be made.

How would you feel about this:

Someone has committed a crime, the story is getting nation wide coverage and the public is outraged. This crime is punishable by a maximum of five years of imprisonment and the public is outraged about that too. Should the government be able to pass a change to the law changing the penalty for this crime from a maximum of five years of imprisonment to a minimum of life imprisonment without possibility of parole and apply that penalty to the guilty party that committed the crime before the change to the law?

Because that is exactly what you are asking for here.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
The most visible reason why a "punish more seriously after the fact for something that causes outrage" exception is a bad idea is that You Don't Want To Be America wrt acts of public outrage.

Those who have more influence in the legal system can craft a deliberately vague definition like for "acts of terrorism" and broadly interpret anything that is politically threatening to them, while using media connections to generate an outrage. That results in things like indefinite detention or higher chance of recidivism since no voter wants an accused terrorist or sex offender released in their neighborhood - either they're kept locked up under the overbroad provisions or they are given so few opportunities to assimilate back into society normally that they are pressured into certain unsavory circles that are the only ones who provide social support.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Oh I don't believe for one second he wouldn't have done it had the sentencing been different in the 70s. But it is a possibility, and that brings doubt into the equation. Maybe if you could prove he would have done it under modern sentencing it would be workable, but that's just not possible.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Someone has committed a crime, the story is getting nation wide coverage and the public is outraged. This crime is punishable by a maximum of five years of imprisonment and the public is outraged about that too. Should the government be able to pass a change to the law changing the penalty for this crime from a maximum of five years of imprisonment to a minimum of life imprisonment without possibility of parole and apply that penalty to the guilty party that committed the crime before the change to the law?

Yeah, this. Do you really trust the Tories, who are already making awful knee-jerk laws, with the application retrospective sentencing? Greater punishment because someone famous did it?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

UKMT is the other thread, can we keep actual news to this thread?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

UKMT is the other thread, can we keep actual news to this thread?

I see no problem with cross-pollination. This poo poo is both horrible and important, and deserves a broader audience.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EvilGenius posted:

Oh I don't believe for one second he wouldn't have done it had the sentencing been different in the 70s. But it is a possibility, and that brings doubt into the equation. Maybe if you could prove he would have done it under modern sentencing it would be workable, but that's just not possible.

Honestly I don't think it would have stopped most of them. Harsher penalties elsewhere haven't kept pedophiles from abusing kids, and those people didn't even have the luxury of millions of bucks and a cozy relationship with the police/government to help cover up their crimes.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This isn't even close to what I'm suggesting. My comments have been based entirely on the judge's comments. I dont care about public outcry, because the public are, mostly, idiots.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

EvilGenius posted:

Yeah, this. Do you really trust the Tories, who are already making awful knee-jerk laws, with the application retrospective sentencing? Greater punishment because someone famous did it?

This isn't anything to do with party politics, what have I said that even suggested such?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

EvilGenius posted:

No, it doesn't bring doubt into anything. This isn't a case of 'maybe he didn't do it' it's a case of 'we punish this poo poo [like this] now. We didn't then. Why not?' Doubt is already well out of this equation.

Edit: I was going to put all three responses in one post but that's not easy to do on a phone. If you care about triple posts apologies, but also, lol get a life.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 1, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

This isn't even close to what I'm suggesting. My comments have been based entirely on the judge's comments. I dont care about public outcry, because the public are, mostly, idiots.

It's quite literally what you suggested, you just don't like it being pointed out.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

It is what you suggested and also something of a safe guard against changing social mores having an extremely unfair impact on people. For example obviously selling alcohol to minors is wrong, It's even illegal. People still do it and risk the punishment of losing their licence and the fine. If there's a high profile case in 10 years time that involves a child being dunk and killing himself and his friends, we might be moved to make this a bigger crime. We may impose a jail sentence.

Would it be fair to the people who had committed the crime with an understanding of the seriousness of it we generally have today with the inflated standards after that high profile incident? Remember that sentencing isn't just that to deter people, it also reflects what we think is an appropriate punishment for how bad the crime is. Somewhat like drink driving at that time. It wasn't any less bad but people genuinely didn't think of it as being so terrible for society.

What you suggest would open the door to sudden moral outrage making it very hard to tell what punishment you'll get for a crime on the off chance a photogenic child is harmed. It also means people could go down for a long time because people have dinner realised that the crime has far more serious effects than they were aware of at the time.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's quite literally what you suggested, you just don't like it being pointed out.

Yeah I see it now. Sorry. Told you I was wrong a lot.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Wouldn't that imply you could pass a new law with harsher penalties and then use it to extend the sentences of people already in prison?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

hakimashou posted:

Wouldn't that imply you could pass a new law with harsher penalties and then use it to extend the sentences of people already in prison?

Can't retroactively apply punishment for crimes already ruled on. Double jeopardy and all that

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

No, it doesn't bring doubt into anything. This isn't a case of 'maybe he didn't do it' it's a case of 'we punish this poo poo [like this] now. We didn't then. Why not?' Doubt is already well out of this equation.

Edit: I was going to put all three responses in one post but that's not easy to do on a phone. If you care about triple posts apologies, but also, lol get a life.

Much of a poo poo as he is, 'why not' is not really Garry Glitter's problem. The sentencing at the time wasn't enough to deter him, so it's not fair to apply a harsher sentence which might have done.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Can't retroactively apply punishment for crimes already ruled on. Double jeopardy and all that

Yeah you can. The crown prosecution service can, if they think it warranted, appeal sentences already handed down, in the hope that an appeal court will hand down a more severe sentence.

EvilGenius posted:

Much of a poo poo as he is, 'why not' is not really Garry Glitter's problem. The sentencing at the time wasn't enough to deter him, so it's not fair to apply a harsher sentence which might have done.

Yeah I've taken everything everyone has said and while I still think exemptions could be made, I can also see how difficult it would be to implement.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 2, 2015

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah you can. The crown prosecution service can, if they think it warranted, appeal sentences already handed down, in the hope that an appeal court will hand down a more severe sentence.

Appeals are slightly different case than just updating a sentence to fit modern statutes

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

counterpoint, the detention of sexual offenders after the expiration of their sentences. or is that more of a US thing?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

So Rebekah Brooks is reportedly going to head up Storyful.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

stickyfngrdboy posted:

They can apply to have the sentence increased within the range allowed in the law. So if you're convicted of speeding and get six points on your license and a £500 fine they might appeal to get it bumped up to a ban from driving for a year and a £2000 fine, they can't appeal it to ten years in prison.

(I deliberately picked speeding to try and take the heat out of the discussion caused by the nature of the crimes, and hopefully there are no Clarkson-jugend in here who think that speeding laws are worse than the Holocaust)

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They can apply to have the sentence increased within the range allowed in the law

Yeah I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Crossposting from the bad policemans thread, with regards to the vomit inducing hell that is the Oxford child abuse report:

:nms: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/03/professionals-blamed-oxfordshire-girls-for-their-sexual-abuse-report-finds :nms:

I advise those of a nervous disposition not to read further.

Don't say I didn't warn you posted:

Police and social workers in Oxfordshire perceived that girls as young as 11 had consented to sex with men, an independent report into the failure to stop their exploitation has said.

Throughout their interactions with six young girls in Oxford, professionals struggled with the law on consent, failing to understand that such was the power of the grooming process the children had no power to say no to gang rape, sexual torture and violence.

The serious case review, commissioned by Maggie Blyth, independent chair of the Oxfordshire safeguarding children board, said there were grounds for believing that 373 girls had been sexually exploited across Oxfordshire in the past 15 years.

One police officer recorded that a 13-year-old having sex with an older Asian man was in an “age-appropriate relationship”. Another sergeant described how a 14-year-old girl had initiated sexual intercourse with two men. Social workers, the report said, appeared to tolerate the under-age sex the girls were having with much older men.

The report called on the government to examine whether its guidance on the age of consent fed attitudes that made it easier for perpetrators to abuse victims.

“The overall problem was not grasping the nature of the abuse – the grooming, the pull from home, the erosion of consent, the inability to escape and the sheer horror of what the girls were going through – but of seeing it as something done more voluntarily. Something that the girls did as opposed to something done to them,” the report said.
[...]
The report said key failings by police and social workers included:

A culture of denial;
Blaming the girls for their precocious and difficult behaviour;
Blaming the girls for putting themselves at risk of harm;
Tolerance of underage sexual activity by the girls with older men;
A failure to recognise the girls had been groomed and violently controlled.
Such was the nature of the sexual exploitation and abuse suffered by the girls, who all had backgrounds in care, that it was likened to torture. The abuse took place in Oxford, in a guest house or in parks and churchyards, and the girls were plied with drugs and subjected to gang rape and sexual atrocities for more than eight years between 2004 and 2012.

The report highlighted multiple missed opportunities by Thames Valley police and Oxfordshire social services to act rigorously.

These included a neighbourhood city council official who in February 2007 raised concerns with senior police officers and children’s social services manages about a 13-year-old girl. He reported “men going into the flat every night” and said he saw the child lying under a cover with an adult male. But he was reprimanded by city council officials after an intervention by the head of child social care in Oxfordshire county council – who was not named in the report. The then director of children’s services in the council – also not named in the report - was copied into the emails.

Not to worry, though. We can put it all behind us and there is no reason for heads to roll among dedicated public servants who did what they thought was best at the time.

quote:

Despite damning findings in the 114-page report, no one has been disciplined or sacked over the child protection failures.
[...]
The report failed to hold any senior managers or directors accountable, saying there was no evidence of “wilful professional misconduct” and senior managers were not made aware of what was going on. Instead she blamed lack of knowledge and understanding and organisational failings.

Middle managers in social services, however, gave evidence that they were afraid to escalate concerns amid an “oppressive culture” within the council at the time.

None whatsoever

Next week's nightmare schedule posted:

:nms:
"I went to the police, blood all over me, soaked through my trousers to the crotch. They dismissed it as me being naughty"
-Sex abuse victim

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
The incompetence astounds me, even now.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Jesus loving christ. :smith:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

willie_dee posted:

The incompetence astounds me, even now.

It's not incompetence. It's wilful classism and rape culture shite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Serotonin posted:

It's not incompetence. It's wilful classism and rape culture shite.

Good point

• Locked thread