Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What do you mean by "guide the Entity to a linked node"? :confused:

That just means you can get through blood webs slightly faster if you allow the entity to cut off multiple nodes at once. It’s pretty marginal utility but there’s a little bit of finesse you can do with picking things in the right order to make it more likely to happen. Knowing little things like how it will take adjacent nodes from its start point but when you pick a perk it will automatically jump to a different perk and move from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What do you mean by "guide the Entity to a linked node"? :confused:

Once the entity eats a node on the bloodweb, it'll generally try to link to another connected node - with I think a preference towards nodes further out from the center. Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it just hops over to an outermost node, but generally it will.

If I let the entity eat the yellow node and it hops to the brown node next, then it'll also wipe out those two purple nodes and save me 12k bloodpoints. Sometimes you can also buy nodes so that when the entity eats next, the only connecting node it should hop to is one with those isolated branches.

Get what perks and items you want, then start picking nodes that won't block the entity from grabbing links while trying to reach for the cheapest nodes on the outermost rings to keep the entity from eating them. It'll save you a little bit here and there. edit: Also once you click on a node, so long as you keep holding down the button you can mouse over to the next node you want without interrupting the purchasing process. That won't save you BP but hey it's a little faster.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 19, 2021

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

I thought I'd take advantage of the MMR matchmaking test to play some killers i've not touched yet and cheekily grab adept cheevs while playing vs more randomly ranked survivors than usual but wow merciless victory is almost straight up impossible playing anything approaching normally at red rank, even playing with my food at the end of the match by letting the last survivor wiggle out a few times wasn't enough to get my iri chaser emblem (need 4x iri to get the merciless victory). Very tempted to start deranking myself with an afk wraith build just to get down to a manageable rank for it, but that feels a bit exploity while rank is used for matchmaking.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I have become 100% shameless about deranking after having had enough red ranks for a good long time. It's not like I'm looking to stomp new/mid-level players balls, I'd just like matches that are actually fun to screw around or try funny things in anymore and the higher in rank you go, the more those matches vanish under dreary sweaty experiences. Sure it's cheesy or whatever, but given the choice between "Cheesy, but non-malicious rank manipulation" and "Get little if any enjoyment from most matches anymore" I'll go with the former.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
It isn't going to fix the atrocious queue times as survivor is it?

I tried it as a Killer since it is way faster and gotten matches that felt lopsided on both sides. One was a SWF group that ran me around and two where solo queues that I got 3k and 4k on.

I really wish to play more survivor but when I play in the US evenings it is terribly long.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I've always gotten the feeling it's just a matter of no killers wanting to play post 5:00 PM when all the SWF squads jump on. God knows I started sensing a pattern there and quickly noped out

Also I'll never really get survivors who DC after they're dead and floating away to heaven. Uh, you sure showed me, zeroing out your own points and I guess eating a timeout for your next game

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 19, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I haven't had time to play much recently, but I noticed I have the deluxe edition on PS5, so I might as well check that out. Clown was apparently buffed recently finally, did that change things? I'm trying to decide between buying him and Oni.

E: already got Leatherface for BBQ & Chili.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

He has a second bottle type now that makes a speed boost cloud for anyone walking through it (him or survivors). It's less helpful than it sounds, since slow bottles and fast bottles both take from your reserve, so you end up being low on bottles by the time you get to a survivor.

He did get a quicker reload time on bottles in general, which is nice.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

The best use of the yellow bottle seems to be using it in concert with the pink while sat on an undropped pallet in a loop to get a hit or force the survivor to leave the tile. Clown's still a fairly low tier killer but not dead last anymore. Plus he has pop which is gonna be a premium perk for any new killer so i'd def get him over Oni

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
👹

Pop is a pretty good perk but Clown's pretty boring. The concept of using gas to zone is neat, but the reality is you're mostly just popping gas on loops and poo poo to slow people down. I don't know how Oni plays on console, but at the least his power is fun to use and has a higher skill cap.

Plus if you have Corrupt you can usually cover for not having Pop, especially on an aggressive killer like Oni.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Get Myers

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
After watching that OhTofu Nurse beginner video and putting those tactics into practice, I've gotta say: holy poo poo is Nurse fun and thrilling as hell to play once you know what you're doing! :aaaaa:

Landing hits and getting hooks after some crazy blinking through the terrain feels really satisfying compared to Leatherface, and seeing Survivors panic after realizing "oh poo poo, this Nurse knows what they're doing" and being unable to loop like they're used to and just bolting for the gate instead of teabagging shenanigans feels so loving good. :twisted:

e:

Oh yeah, they be mad. Doesn't feel good when the shoe is on the other foot, now is it?

For context, the Survivors kept floating around the silo on Torment Creek in Coldwind Farm and I noticed their behavior pattern, so I let them get the generator there to about 80% or so. I kept hitting Survivors as they kept tapping the gens and eventually slugged one, then I kept slugging them as I patrolled the area until eventually all four got slugged inside of a minute or two. Honestly, if Survivors keep coming back predictably to a single area like moths to a flame and refuse to change their approach, I think I'm within my right as a Killer to punish them for it. But drat were they loving mad, just immediately one disconnect after the other.

E2: Also, I just realized that playing as Nurse makes EVERY pallet an unsafe pallet. Rather than being a hindrance or an annoyance, pallets make it so that Survivors not only slow down a bit but also provide a super predictable spot where they will end up at to blink to, even offering up an easy grab if timed right! :D

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 20, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Turns out that while I was taking a break from the game, people got loving SAVAGE. Both my killer games tonight weren't even close and the survivors worked together so well that I'm pretty sure they were all in a group.

Did ranks get reset recently or something, because I would not expect this kind of savagery from rank 19 survivors!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

There was a reset and also a one day experiment with MMR

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Not sure if it's the MMR thing but I got put in a game tonight where the survivors just destroyed me and I had to work so drat hard for a 1K. At the end turned out I was playing against 3 rank 1s and a purple. I'm rank 10 :( At least they weren't super sweaty teabaggers though!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Me: Archive to deplete six medkits, eh? Well this shouldn't be too hard.

*Doctor tunnel camps me for so long he loses all five gens killing me*

Me: Y'know if I wasn't running an archive I would have been okay with this development

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

The best way to get owned on that challenge is to hit a great skillcheck leaving you with a tiny sliver of charge left over

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Does anyone have advice specifically for slowing down Survivors with gen completion and exerting map control, regardless of chosen perks and Killer? It feels like some rounds I manage to slow down their momentum, but other times they just barrel on through from start to finish with little to no consequence.

gently caress! This poo poo drives me crazy sometimes with how smug Survivors can get and end up toying with me in those latter games. I just can't be on all four corners of the map at the same time, Jesus! :gonk:

E: Maybe I should just embrace it and run NOED since Nurse is technically an M1 Killer anyway? But then of course they'll find the Hex totem and disassemble it anyways. :nallears:

E2: I actually got a pity hook just earlier. I was on the Autohaven Wreckers map for like the 3rd time in a row and was still getting looped in the garage, trying not to blink outside the garage. I finally down the Survivor and bring her to the hook outside the garage after having to smash the door open manually; but, lo and behold, her friend is there just in time to sabotage the hook and so they both get away to the exit gate just meters away. I was feeling so defeated at this point after several bad matches in a row I just stood by the exit gate and motioned for the last Survivor to run past to freedom.

But, surprisingly, he stops and points in a different direction. I follow him and he ends up leading me to a hook and he shakes up and down to gesture that I should go ahead and hook him. I have mixed feelings about this since I ended up getting my last Crotus Prenn diary entry via the "hook a Survivor during the Endgame Collapse" achievement this way and I wanted to have gotten that cheevo more legitimately; but I guess this is just karma for having given Survivors pity hatches myself before, so one turn deserves another, I suppose. :unsmith: I'm just surprised a Survivor is even willing to give pity hooks in the first place.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 21, 2021

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Blasmeister posted:

The best way to get owned on that challenge is to hit a great skillcheck leaving you with a tiny sliver of charge left over

I had that happen to me early in working on that challenge. Then in the next game, my internet blipped and I had a 5-minute cooldown right after I emptied the kit. :argh:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I mean it largely depends on the map, unfortunately. Some of them (infamously Haddonfield, but also poo poo like Red Forest) just have the gens spread everywhere and if survivors split up on them you aren't doing a thing without a teleport killer.

Aside from that, best advice is to never chase too long. I don't even like chasing people on loops since it's just an excuse for everyone else to slam gens, if someone beats me to a pallet I'll probably break it and go look for someone to chase off a gen. Also you really want to take a look at the gens at the start and try to wrangle things so the last gens are close together. It's perfectly okay to lose a couple at the beginning if the remaining gens are all bunched together and the survivors can't do anything without you being on their rear end.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Blasmeister posted:

I got owned in that challenge via the game being bad at counting. I brought a grey kit and pharmacy to guarantee two kits. Depleted them both. Got credit for one.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Does anyone have advice specifically for slowing down Survivors with gen completion and exerting map control, regardless of chosen perks and Killer?

Yes, but bear in mind that this is the entire game. It's like asking for advice on improving your KDR in a deathmatch game. So, I can answer this question, but bear in mind that I am answering with broad goals to help you understand what to work towards, rather than giving specific, actionable advice.

Learn to understand where the survivors are. Perks can help with this, as can killers with good info abilities (Doctor, Legion), but you really need to get a good sense of where the survivors were and where they want to be, so you can deduce where they are before you see them. Plus, you'll want to know the things that are signs that survivors were or weren't in an area.

Learn to put pressure on the survivors. This is basically "learn to kill good" but you'll feel less bad once you learn how to understand when you are winning. You want to make survivors do things that aren't generators. That means running away from you, getting up a slug, unhooking someone, healing, dealing with your killer's gimmick (traps, headtraps, madness, etc.), or just avoiding you. Pressure can be as simple as running into two survivors at once and making them both run away, or chasing survivors into each other, or slugging one and chasing another, and so on.

Learn to herd the survivors and control the map. You can have a lot of control over where the survivors go if you consider your approach and consider how you move. You usually want to get all of the survivors bunched up into a corner of the map for easy killing. This usually isn't possible, but in general you want to push them together, limit where they can go so their movement is more predictable, and not let them lead you on a wild goose chase into a useless part of the map. This can be as small-scale as approaching from the pallet or window you know they already scoped out for a quick escape, or large-scale as keeping your "three-gen" of three easily-defensible generators all near each other in mind. Both of these are very simple strategies but they're the base for bigger things.

Learn to end chases quickly. This means getting better at knowing how and when and from where to initiate chases, learning how to mindgame and shortcircuit common survivor tricks, and learning when to abandon a chase.

You don't need to be great at all of these to play well; I know I'm loving terrible at knowing where the survivors are, and not super amazing at managing their position. But these are the basic, broad topics so you know what to focus on to improve.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The best single sentence bit of advice I ever got for playing killer was something Otz said, "Ask yourself 'What can I get out of this chase in the next 30 seconds?'" Can you get a solid hit? Can you down them? Can you herd them into another survivor? Can you force them to drop a high value pallet? Or are you just going to waste time chasing them around in a dead corner of the map? Learning to keep that in mind made me a way better player, and I've found that when I forget, when I tunnel or get frustrated or focus too much on hypothetical big picture stuff, I do significantly worse.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 21, 2021

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Does anyone have advice specifically for slowing down Survivors with gen completion and exerting map control, regardless of chosen perks and Killer? It feels like some rounds I manage to slow down their momentum, but other times they just barrel on through from start to finish with little to no consequence.

Everyone has given you good advice, and all of it is true, up to a point, and that point is the map you're on and the killer you're playing, because more often than not in some combinations thereof you won't be able to do anything about gens being completed. Pick a 3 Gen you can defend easily, hope to God ruin or undying totem is in there, try your best to get at least 1 person to the second hook state or dead before 4 gens are done, and consider any other kills past that to be a win.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Thanks for all of the advice, it's much appreciated. :)

I just ran my first non-Plaid Flannel game as Nurse since I realized I was out and didn't have any on my level 50 Bloodweb. I was really nervous at first since I thought I'd screw it up without a visual guide, but I actually did quite well based on muscle memory. I got a 3K out of it and managed to pull the last Survivor off of a hook rescue and Mori'd them haha. :D

I tried using Matchbox (Ultra Rare) with Kavanagh's Last Breath (Very Rare), but what are some other add-on combinations to consider once you feel like you can take off the training wheels (i.e. Plaid Flannel and Wooden Horse) as Nurse?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Working towards rift/compendium objectives, particularly the more complicated ones can also help. If you get it, even if you have a lovely game, you can be like "aw yeah". Like I just had an Oni game with 6+ hooks but zero kills but got both my Demon Strike daily and rift objective, so I was pleased with that.

Of course my mood is better now because I followed up with a 12 hook 4k Oni game in which I got the Nemesis rift objective as well :frogbon:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Meme for dealing with the DbD fandom:

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
is there any greater betrayal than slugs who guide the killer to the last standing survivor so the killer can finish the 100% BBQ bonus

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Fleetwood posted:

is there any greater betrayal than slugs who guide the killer to the last standing survivor so the killer can finish the 100% BBQ bonus
A traitor is just someone else's friend.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I always killed the gently caress out of traitors when I was Jason in the F13 game. They'd be like 'Noooo, Jason I'm your friend!' and I'd just be thinking 'Jason doesn't have any friends'

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

TOOT BOOT posted:

'Jason doesn't have any friends'

:hmmyes:This checks out.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Y'know I'm usually not with the Freddy OP whiners, but this was a bit much

https://twitter.com/fumangoo/status/1374498539355533313

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I had a group of insanely aggro survivors the other night. One guy was constantly hovering around me with a flashlight and every time I hooked someone, they were immediately unhooking them before I'd even left. They knew the animation timings, they knew that a PS5 player wasn't going to have amazingly accurate aim.

They were also a lot better at the game than I am, so they got all five generators fairly easily. The biggest rear end in a top hat of them decided to go on a teabagging spree by the exit, but he didn't appreciate just how quickly Oni can move or maybe he was just a bit further away from the exit than he thought, so I smashed him into a pulp inches from the exit. Then I hooked him, and made drat sure to watch him until he died.

You want to be a jerk, let's be jerks!

(three of them, clearly in a group together, were rank 5 and 6, with one poor confused survivor being rank 18 and I was rank 20. I can't help but feel that this isn't a great system :v:)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

three of them, clearly in a group together, were rank 5 and 6, with one poor confused survivor being rank 18

this is a popular way to smurf as a SWF group btw

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cease to Hope posted:

this is a popular way to smurf as a SWF group btw

Oh well that explains it.

But man what a crappy matchmaker, you'd think they'd just shove the rank 18 smurf into rank 5 matchmaking instead of the other way around.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh well that explains it.

But man what a crappy matchmaker, you'd think they'd just shove the rank 18 smurf into rank 5 matchmaking instead of the other way around.
The matchmaking, such as there is any, really only cares about 1 + 4 = 5. They tested an actual MMR system a week ago for like...a day? But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

People on Reddit are saying the sweaty 3+1 SFW groups are mostly a PC problem and playing on consoles is generally a chiller experience. Now, seeing as I am playing on a PS5 these days, would toggling cross-platform matchmaking off just doom me to playing with 3 people forever, or might it be a good idea?

Or is it even an option that exists outside my vague memories?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

People on Reddit are saying

see, there's your problem

no, you get people sweating on console too.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Honestly there aren't as many true sweat squads as people think. There are definitely groups that want to be, but they're not that good or that willing to let each other die on hook. You'd be best served learning how to play against them. If nothing else, learning to just focus on improving your performance and not sweating it if you're having a rough match helps your overall gameplay whether or not you're facing a sweat squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

TGLT posted:

Honestly there aren't as many true sweat squads as people think.

I guess I'm just having bad luck because I'm running into them almost all the time.