Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Producers definitely had their fingers on the scale in favour of Pulsar. I guess because it has a pleasing WHUMMMM when it's spun-up. Also, they really buried the worst batch of robots in the end, the runner-up was one of those axe on an axle that we've seen before. Great defensively but I'm not sure it could do that much damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Did anyone else notice that the young pulsar kid was like "I have no engineering experience and just taught myself the tools, like... A drill." Yet he had a full catia model and amazing 3D milled parts? Wouldn't surprise me if there was 50k in that robot.
Also im going to guess there were some "consultants" involved...
Suspicious as heck to me.

mm, looking at their FB page, it looks like he has sponsorship. He also has started his own business making parts for robots and sells them to the other teams..

http://www.shropshirestar.com/entertainment/2016/08/21/robot-wars-dream-comes-true-for-telfords-ellis-who-will-appear-on-show/

quote:

Robot Wars: Dream comes true for Telford's Ellis who will appear on show
As a three-year-old, Ellis Ware would sit mesmerised by the hit TV series Robot Wars. Seventeen years on, he will this weekend achieve his lifetime ambition of appearing on the new-look show.

Robot Wars, which was originally presented by Jeremy Clarkson in the 1990s, was relaunched last month after a 12-year absence.

And Ellis, from Telford, did not need to be asked twice when the programme makers inquired whether he would be able to produce a robot for the show.

“We had just nine weeks to turn the whole thing around, and we had to start completely from scratch,” said Ellis, who appears on the show with his parents Tara, 54, and Peter, 58.

“It was surreal, that is the only word to describe it,” he said.

“It is one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced, to be on television with some of the people I have grown up with, like Professor Sharkey who has been with the show since the very beginning.”

Ellis, who left school at 15, has been taking part in robot combat events for the past four years, and runs a business selling robotics parts from his home in High Street, Madeley.

“I was living in Spain at the time, and I would travel back to the UK to take part in many of the events,” he said. “One of them was at the NEC in Birmingham, the machines were eight times lighter and smaller than they are for Robot Wars, but I became quite well-known on the scene, and got to know a lot of the people.

“Somebody asked me just before Christmas if I would be able to design and build a robot in time for the deadline, and once I was asked, for me it wasn’t an option not to try.

“It was very full-on, I had no design and no components to start with.

“In the 72 hours before the show I slept for nine hours, and on the day of filming I had not slept for 16 hours.

“Because it was the first series, they approached people who were already on the scene, who would be able to produce a machine in a very short-time frame. I think for the next series it will be more open to people coming forward.”

Ellis, a self-taught engineer, said he was disillusioned with mainstream education, and educated over the internet for 12 months after leaving school at 15. He used online tutorials to teach himself engineering skills, and is now an expert in aerospace technology.

His robot, which he calls Pulsar, is so dangerous that it was one of the reasons why the show’s producers had to encase the battle arena in bulletproof glass to protect the studio audience.

“I’ve always had an interest in mechanical things,” he said.

“I used to take apart remote control cars and didn’t necessarily put them back the same way again. My dad has always been practical and I’ve got a great uncle who I think worked on radar, so you could say it’s in the blood.”

Weighing nearly 17 stone, Pulsar is a formidable machine, and can travel at speeds of up to 15mph.

Its weapon is a flywheel with a tooth on it, which itself weights more than two stone, and rotates at speeds of up to 9,000rpm – or 220mph – making it the fastest in the series.

Its armour is made from high-grade steel nearly a third of an inch thick, while it uses the latest lithium battery technology and brushless motors. Its one weakness is that its back wheels are only lightly armoured.

Ellis said it was an expensive hobby. Pulsar cost about £6,000 to build, more than half of which he funded himself, the rest coming from local sponsors.

Here is an interview with him and the dad, he seems like a very sensible lad despite that haircut.
https://soundcloud.com/ellis-ware-652748997/pulsar-bbc-radio-shropshire-interview

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Given that there's no stand-up/theatre thread - who's at the Fringe this year and what should I see?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Given that there's no stand-up/theatre thread - who's at the Fringe this year and what should I see?

Come and see us and learn things about science and critical thinking!

http://www.edinburghskeptics.co.uk/

Alternatively: Jonathan Pie, Danielle Ward, and Dr Phil Hammond have excellent shows this year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thought it was a pretty poo poo selection of robots this week. I like weapons like Pulsar's but the design seems too wide and low. Ironside was the only other one I really cared about but they had pretty bad weaknesses as shown by the Pulsar fight

God I hope Thor is the wild card

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 22, 2016

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I was there last week. Pretty much everyone who's even a little bit known was sold out. So if you didn't reserve tickets you'll be pretty limited. There are some nice free or cheap shows in bars in the morning/afternoon, that consists of a bunch of comedians doing 10 minutes of their set, which gives you an idea.
I really liked Tom walkers bizarre, audience reliant comedy. Felt like a breath of fresh air in between all the standard stand up.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pffh, like I'm gonna plan ahead and book something. Sometimes I don't even read the sign on the door.

thehustler posted:

Come and see us and learn things about science and critical thinking!

http://www.edinburghskeptics.co.uk/

Alternatively: Jonathan Pie, Danielle Ward, and Dr Phil Hammond have excellent shows this year.

Ah I knew you were involved with the skeptics, no idea you were in Edinburgh - you with the Uni?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Mr. Squishy posted:

Producers definitely had their fingers on the scale in favour of Pulsar. I guess because it has a pleasing WHUMMMM when it's spun-up. Also, they really buried the worst batch of robots in the end, the runner-up was one of those axe on an axle that we've seen before. Great defensively but I'm not sure it could do that much damage.

It's exciting when it hits a robot and the robot flies off into space. Although it tore the arse out of one robot. and might be too powerful. I love it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Pffh, like I'm gonna plan ahead and book something. Sometimes I don't even read the sign on the door.

Ah I knew you were involved with the skeptics, no idea you were in Edinburgh - you with the Uni?

I do work at a uni in Edinburgh, but at Edinburgh Napier, not the main one.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

mrfart posted:

I was there last week. Pretty much everyone who's even a little bit known was sold out. So if you didn't reserve tickets you'll be pretty limited. There are some nice free or cheap shows in bars in the morning/afternoon, that consists of a bunch of comedians doing 10 minutes of their set, which gives you an idea.
I really liked Tom walkers bizarre, audience reliant comedy. Felt like a breath of fresh air in between all the standard stand up.

The correct answer is of course to do the PBH Free Fringe because there are a whole shitload of great comics doing it and you don't have to pay any money (but donations are nice) - it's the same umbrella we are under.

Good PBH people this year include Sofie Hagen, Mark Cooper-Jones, Chris Coltrane is especially good if you hate the Tories.

There's Laughing Horse Free Festival as well but gently caress those guys.

Are there still people who don't know about the free fringe and just think it's all the big pricey venues?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

thehustler posted:

Oh god and I always hate arseholes who talk about "the" uni as if there's only one. Sorry mate.

Will definitely come over and see what you guys are up to.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh god and I always hate arseholes who talk about "the" uni as if there's only one. Sorry mate.

Will definitely come over and see what you guys are up to.

Awesome, come say hi and ask for Mark.

And lol, don't worry about it

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

thehustler posted:

The correct answer is of course to do the PBH Free Fringe because there are a whole shitload of great comics doing it and you don't have to pay any money (but donations are nice) - it's the same umbrella we are under.

Good PBH people this year include Sofie Hagen, Mark Cooper-Jones, Chris Coltrane is especially good if you hate the Tories.

There's Laughing Horse Free Festival as well but gently caress those guys.

Are there still people who don't know about the free fringe and just think it's all the big pricey venues?

Not sure which free fringe he's doing, but James Loveridge is pretty good as well, he's also up for some prizes.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

thehustler posted:

The Oxford Brookes of the north

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Cerv posted:

The Oxford Brookes of the north

Literally almost put this myself

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

thehustler posted:

Literally almost put this myself

lol

speaking of universities, this from last week is the most embarrassing music round ever. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07nwdyy/university-challenge-201617-episode-5?t=14m31s

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cerv posted:

lol

speaking of universities, this from last week is the most embarrassing music round ever. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07nwdyy/university-challenge-201617-episode-5?t=14m31s

I have no idea who any of the three people named are :shrug:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Some new Reggie Yates stuff on the iPlayer for those interested!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Rarity posted:

I have no idea who any of the three people named are :shrug:

I don't know if Cerv meant that bit (I don't really know them either) or the actual music round, where I knew all of them and the team got none right

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

absolutely destroyed both teams this week

lol @ going on university challenge not knowing who konrad adenauer is

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
When it was 50-40 at the music round I was expecting a historically low-scoring game. Balliol eventually got up to speed but Imperial were pretty terrible, which is the risk you run when you make a team of 4 scientists.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

When it was 50-40 at the music round I was expecting a historically low-scoring game. Balliol eventually got up to speed but Imperial were pretty terrible, which is the risk you run when you make a team of 4 scientists.

This is because UC has two kinds of questions: "what is this a level science question? " and "what is this obscure artistic/literary piece that you'd only know if you've been immersed in the canon since you were 7?". It's staggeringly biased against scientists.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is because UC has two kinds of questions: "what is this a level science question? " and "what is this obscure artistic/literary piece that you'd only know if you've been immersed in the canon since you were 7?". It's staggeringly biased against scientists.

That's interesting, because as someone who has an entirely non-scientific background I'd have said something reasonably opposite. Any question that has "which French painter/20th century architect/Booker prize winner" in it means anyone can at least have a reasonable guess, but personally I have no chance on a high proportion of the science questions because I've never encountered some of the terms used.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I stand by my theory that you can tell if Paxman himself understands the question based on whether his end of sentence inflection goes up or down. (If it goes up he has no idea. Usually on maths questions.)

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Julio Cruz posted:

That's interesting, because as someone who has an entirely non-scientific background I'd have said something reasonably opposite. Any question that has "which French painter/20th century architect/Booker prize winner" in it means anyone can at least have a reasonable guess, but personally I have no chance on a high proportion of the science questions because I've never encountered some of the terms used.

Yeah I agree with that, I can usually have a guess at an artist/composer/writer or something based on context/nationality, and it's obvious that the teams often do just that. You frequently get them give one answer, it's wrong, then they give the same answer to the next question and it's right. Any science or maths question though is pretty much impossible for the layman

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

Yeah I agree with that, I can usually have a guess at an artist/composer/writer or something based on context/nationality, and it's obvious that the teams often do just that. You frequently get them give one answer, it's wrong, then they give the same answer to the next question and it's right. Any science or maths question though is pretty much impossible for the layman

It's explicitly not a layman's quiz though - when is the layman gonna ever come across the krebs cycle and poo poo? But with the appropriate a levels you can knock all the science questions out of the park.

Maybe I'm just salty cos I'm an uncultured barbarian. Or I'm salty cos I hate poshos.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Padje posted:

It's exciting when it hits a robot and the robot flies off into space. Although it tore the arse out of one robot. and might be too powerful. I love it.

There's so many robots that are designed as though they've never seen the show before. Minotaur posted earlier is exactly how I'd make the Pulsar design work and I have no idea why they've done it as they have. I dunno if maybe battlebots has different weight restrictions?
And why make Gabriel? Every time you get a ball with an axe on it the robot is totally and utterly worthless, surely people know that by now.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

There's so many robots that are designed as though they've never seen the show before. Minotaur posted earlier is exactly how I'd make the Pulsar design work and I have no idea why they've done it as they have. I dunno if maybe battlebots has different weight restrictions?
And why make Gabriel? Every time you get a ball with an axe on it the robot is totally and utterly worthless, surely people know that by now.

I'm hoping the fact that they had 9 weeks to make these explains a lot of the really janky ones. Hopefully if there is another series it will give them more time to build decent stuff.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's explicitly not a layman's quiz though - when is the layman gonna ever come across the krebs cycle and poo poo? But with the appropriate a levels you can knock all the science questions out of the park.

Maybe I'm just salty cos I'm an uncultured barbarian. Or I'm salty cos I hate poshos.

Well I meant for those watching at home, rather than the dweebs on it. I don't care about how they do, I just like to get a few right every episode and pretend that makes me a genius

I've been watching Fleabag on the recommendation of this thread, and I really like it so thanks

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I gather Gabriel is a modestly successful robot from the live circuit.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Taear posted:

The Minotaur team has spent over a decade trying to perfect that drum spinner design in non-televised competitions. The Pulsar kid has only competed for around four years and never at the Robot Wars 110kg weight class, plus he's 19 and self-taught, there's plenty of time for him to min-max later. Also, I think ABC handed out $8000 to help out with building each bot competing on Battlebots, while I don't think there was any such thing for Robot Wars.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

SeanBeansShako posted:

Some new Reggie Yates stuff on the iPlayer for those interested!

Oh? I really enjoyed his last trio of programs.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I belive there was a £1k appearance fee for RW but only paid after the fact.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Angrymog posted:

Oh? I really enjoyed his last trio of programs.

Considering the little twitter promo thing he's using, he doesn't want to get comfortable and get into the nitty gritty. He's basically putting himself into the shoes of his subjects and the situation of things as close as he can. Last week, he volunteered to be a prisoner in Texas. This week, he was with the Mexican Army trying to help fight the war on drugs.

Go watch both episodes.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Why is Yates on BBC 3? He should be on one of the main channels.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's too "urban". They can't risk offending the UKIP voters

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In any event, it is nice to see a former TOTP presenter maintaining an entertaining and informative (and even educational) career rather than getting sent down for being a nonce.

If the Beeb adapts the Rivers of London books sooner rather than later, Yates could be a good choice to play Peter Grant.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Wheat Loaf posted:

In any event, it is nice to see a former TOTP presenter maintaining an entertaining and informative (and even educational) career rather than getting sent down for being a nonce.

If the Beeb adapts the Rivers of London books sooner rather than later, Yates could be a good choice to play Peter Grant.

I thought I'd read they were bringing it to BBC1?

I may have just imagined it while reading it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They should, It's great.

I felt bad for the guy at the end of the Mexican Drug War one, just seeing the man after looking into the abyss of that whole situation. Dude is going to be haunted too about what might happen to his friend in that kind of job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Coaaab posted:

The Minotaur team has spent over a decade trying to perfect that drum spinner design in non-televised competitions. The Pulsar kid has only competed for around four years and never at the Robot Wars 110kg weight class, plus he's 19 and self-taught, there's plenty of time for him to min-max later. Also, I think ABC handed out $8000 to help out with building each bot competing on Battlebots, while I don't think there was any such thing for Robot Wars.

My quibble wasn't really with how it worked, more where he put it. High up instead of right on the front.

And yea I knew they only had a tiny time to create their robots (so used existing ones). I think that's partly why it feels so weird that things such as Gabriel exist! I heard it got decent viewing figures so I'm hoping for a new series after this one.