Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

It is some sort of cosmic unfairness that this is the first I'm hearing of this. Sometimes America works right. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The source on the STEM school vigil is right wing.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

nine-gear crow posted:

So, am I reading this right? When people got on stage at the vigil and went "Hey, maybe we need some gun control so that students don't get shot going to school and die" and the kids responded by screaming "NO!" and then walked out in a show of solidarity with The Gun?

Never change, STEMLords :rolleyes:

My understanding is that the people who got up to speak on gun control prevented any students from speaking at the vigil.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Alkydere posted:

Were they trying to railroad it like that so that their votes would be anonymous? Just "passes with X vs Y" or something so that State Senator Shitwad don't have to defend against attack adds later?

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/alabama-senate-strips-rape-exception-from-abortion-ban-vote-on-bill-next-week.html

quote:

….

Singleton and other Democratic senators strongly objected to Lt. Gov. Will Ainsworth, who presides over the Senate, for his quick gavel on tabling the rape and incest amendment on a voice vote, meaning there is no recorded vote.

As that disagreement simmered, Senate President Pro Tem Del Marsh, R-Anniston, moved to delay a vote on the abortion bill until next week.

But Singleton said it’s important that votes are recorded on the abortion bill.

"I know it’s a non-debatable motion. I know the rules. But at least allow us to be able to vote on it. They just didn’t want to be on the record voting on it, to strip that amendment off the bill.

looks like it

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Discendo Vox posted:

The source on the STEM school vigil is right wing.

Yeah. They are highlighting some minority viewpoint. Or the school was full of chuds, and no wonder....*unintelligible sympathy for the shooters*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

papa horny michael posted:

Yeah. They are highlighting some minority viewpoint. Or the school was full of chuds, and no wonder....*unintelligible sympathy for the shooters*

It's the Washington Examiner, to simply call them "right wing" is exceedingly generous.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
When the US Senator from Minnesota Paul Wellstone (D) died in a plane crash in 2002 right before the election, his funeral was turned into a political rally. It was... weird.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

So, am I reading this right? When people got on stage at the vigil and went "Hey, maybe we need some gun control so that students don't get shot going to school and die" and the kids responded by screaming "NO!" and then walked out in a show of solidarity with The Gun?

No, the way I read it, it was that the speakers didn't said anything about the students who gave his life nor did they let anyone from the school talk.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

nine-gear crow posted:

Read the one I posted, which is from Buzzfeed instead of the Moonie News. Also What the Everloving Christ, dude.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

If y'all haven't read this, get to it.

Ben manages to sound almost reasonable while his book is torn to pieces, but only because his target audience would never, ever read this interview.

It’s pretty good, but not super impressed at Illing’s backhand at “identity politics”.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tasneemnashrulla/colorado-students-protest-school-shooting-vigil-political

Motherfuckers screwed this up big time.

quote:

Survivors of the shooting at the charter school in Colorado that killed one student and injured eight others stormed out of a community vigil Wednesday, calling it a "political stunt."

The event, organized by Team Enough — the student-led initiative of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence — was intended to be an interfaith vigil to honor the STEM School Highlands Ranch shooting survivors and 18-year-old Kendrick Castillo, who died Tuesday after trying to stop one of the shooters.

Hundreds of grieving students, parents, and community members packed the Highlands Ranch school's gym, but their anger and frustration became apparent after none of the STEM students themselves had a chance to speak about Castillo at the vigil.

Instead, several speakers — including Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Michael Bennet, Democratic Rep. Jason Crow, and a Moms Demand Action volunteer, Laura Reeves — addressed the need for gun control legislation

"[Our kids] have a job to do when they come to school," Bennet told the crowd. "Their job is not to fix American’s broken gun laws. Their job is not, as Kendrick so selflessly did yesterday, give up their own life to save their classmates' lives or their teachers' lives. That's not their job. They’re relying on the rest of us to do our job so they can do their job."

"Let STEM kids speak," an attendee shouted during the vigil as some students began walking out in protest.
However, an organizer of the event told the crowd that they hadn't been able to connect with any STEM students to have them speak at the vigil.

"You never asked," some students said in response, prompting an exodus of students and parents, according to an eyewitness who attended the vigil but wished to remain anonymous

They’re so loving tone deaf. Also why do all of these dudes look like carbon-copy politicians from the 80s? Primary the lot of them, loving disgraceful.

And you know the Right’s gonna have a loving field day with this.

quote:

One organizer blamed the media for sending attendees outside, but students later said that was false and that they had chosen to leave themselves.

The protesting students then gathered in the high school hallway, chanting, "Mental health," "STEM strong," and "gently caress the media," the eyewitness told BuzzFeed News on Thursday.

Everyone was upset there was no time to honor Kendrick," one eyewitness said, adding that students and parents appeared to be frustrated at the news media for taking photos of people crying.

"It's just about votes and something that doesn't have anything to do with anything," a school parent, Chris Barrette, told KRDO-TV. "It's about the victims, our faculty, and the first responders, the horror that our students went through just yesterday."

Many students then returned to the gym and held a moment of silence for Castillo and the shooting survivors. Several of them took the microphone to express their frustrations with the organized event and to speak about Castillo.

”This was not a vigil," one student said in his speech. "This was purely a political stunt. This is not what we wanted for Kendrick. We didn’t want Kendrick to be a prop. We wanted Kendrick to be mourned. We wanted all of you to join us in that mourning, but that was not allowed here. We all walked out. We were not kicked out, despite what you have heard. And we're back now to tell you that we love Kendrick and we love all of the survivors."

One of Castillo's classmates broke down as she remembered her friend.
"I came here for my close friend Kendrick," she said. "I just wanted to talk about him a little bit because everybody's been sitting here talking about gun violence and avoiding the fact that he died.”

If you’re gonna post a rightwing rag’s take on a situation at least do the diligence of trying to find a better source on it, ‘lest you get the responses above.

It was absolutely inappropriate for these guys to use it as a platform for their Z-List presidential run bullshit. Doesn’t matter if it’s a Chud school or not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i can't really blame them. the people showed up at their school and used this heros death and a political statement and then didnt even let them talk. don't pretend its vigil and then use it at plank.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I’m gonna quote this before you can change it.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

what was this? They've already deleted it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Yeah... what the gently caress is this?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

As a bleeding heart liberal who believes we should ban all guns forever...

Mental health is the rallying cry I've been using for years. Don't let the right co-opt it. We have a gently-caressing mental health problem in this country by not addressing it. It's what drives these poo poo heads to commit these crimes because the system is too cowardly to call the poo poo that leads to this a health problem. They claim free speech and are too cowardly to respond "no, you got problems, go to a councilor/therpaist and get on the list."

Don't let the conspiracy nutter co-opt this poo poo, we should be able to get help and move on, the system isn't built that way because we are gently-caressing cowards.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

DiggityDoink posted:

AFL-CIO tweeting the "1200$ and a weekend and you can make a Guillotine with your friends!" spoof on the "Maybe instead of representation, you could have a game console" Delta airlines anti-union poo poo.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

DiggityDoink posted:

nooooooooooo. it was the afl cio posting the guillotine version of the delta anti-union poster

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

DiggityDoink posted:

It was the guillotine image from earlier in this thread

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

BlueBlazer posted:

We are just passed "Releasing heavily redacted Tapes."

The Nixon speed run continues.

I know it's just a joke and all, but we should probably quit with the speedrun stuff at this point. The entire Watergate scandal from break-in to Nixon's resignation lasted just about exactly two years. Assuming that Trump's crime was his election, we're already in a slower moving scandal.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Crain posted:

No poo poo.

The writing is very obviously on the wall already with various things that corporate has decided to do just in the last year or so that I've been here. The ever present demand of "more growth, more revenue, more bodies, more MONEY" quarter after quarter is what is most likely driving this.

the issue is they're a government only contractor, one of the big War Boys, so I'm not sure how they expect to "gig-ify" getting security clearances.

Although Trump is just handing them out so maybe they'll make a bid of "Hey, fire all of the civil servants, give us a free pipeline to add people via our bullshit app, and you'll save so much money on payroll".

Ever heard of DoD Challenges? Because that’s basically gigging tech innovation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Adults are the enemy. Primary everybody over forty and let David Hogg launch a campaign.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1126683358917025798?s=21

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

AFL-CIO tweeting the "1200$ and a weekend and you can make a Guillotine with your friends!" spoof on the "Maybe instead of representation, you could have a game console" Delta airlines anti-union poo poo.

loving cowards deleting it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

guess someone was hate watching CNN tonight.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

DiggityDoink posted:

loving cowards deleting it.
Yeah, everybody besides the wobblies are capitalist pigdogs.

Wait what?

1924 you say?

Huh.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Slo-Tek posted:

They're gonna be fired, but I hope AFL-CIO's Twitter person knows how cool they are.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1126665597255856129?s=21

lol holy poo poo Rudy

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The Mr. Magoo of collusion everybody

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Life is beautiful
https://twitter.com/SebGorka/status/1126684492314415104

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

QUIET PART LOUD RUDY

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Premature penthouse tax, anyway:

https://i.imgur.com/uYPOUgK.mp4

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/willripleyCNN/status/960872333975023616

man how did i miss this one back then

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CPRBrundin/status/1126354071768772608?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1126354071768772608&

They're better at it than the rest of us.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

lol this is gonna be all over fox news for days

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheGameSheet/status/1126478771710844928

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

nine-gear crow posted:

No dude, the problem was they turned the actual vigil into a gun control thing. People wanted to recognize the kid, this was a huge mistake

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

You're a complete shithead hth

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Well it actually happened. "US tariff increase on $200B of Chinese imports takes effect"

https://www.apnews.com/e8a5195c21af44e5b783082366cc2f29

Next week is going to be another wild ride for the markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Awesome! Now all the poo poo I’ve been too broke to buy will either take a massive price hike or be wiped out of the market entirely.