Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
even eggman is a pronoun respecter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, once I beat the third island am I officially done with the mandatory collectathon aspect in terms of Vault Keys/Memory Tokens (I know you have to collect the emeralds one last time on the final island at least)?

Nope. Last island has it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

one of Eggman's memos references the United Federation (off-brand USA from SA2/Shadow) and even Donpa from Team Sonic Racing. They're really going for "everything's canon now" and I'm totally on board with it.

EDIT: Another one references Black Arms and the Babylonians too. this owns lmao

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 10, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

one of Eggman's memoes references the United Federation (off-brand USA from SA2/Shadow) and even Donpa from Team Sonic Racing. They're really going for "everything's canon now" and I'm totally on board with it.

I believe Riders gets mentioned at some point as well (in fact I think about the only game that doesn’t get a nod of some kind is Chronicles)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah Sonic muses about how it's kinda like when they came across Babylon and wonders how Jet's doing

He also wonders how Zavok is doing and then adds "terribly, I hope, heh."

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

When I reached the first cutscene that showed who the ancients looked like I poo poo my pants so hard it blasted me through the roof. I am seriously looking forward to Sonic going forward if Sega are actually exploring this side of the lore now.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 10, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, given the design of the Ancients is Chaos (who I now assume was likely the last surviving member) ever brought up directly at some point?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 10, 2022

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Can you guys spoil that stuff for like a couple more days or something, the game just came out yesterday and it would have been cool to learn that on my own

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Well since people are posting untagged story spoilers now I'm going to go ahead and dip from the thread until I finish the game. Laters :tipshat:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, given the design of the Ancients is Chaos (who I now assume was likely the last surviving member) ever brought up directly at some point?

should definitely spoiler warning that lol
it's directly stated in one of the Egg Memos.
you get them from fishing and can view them in the same menu as the Fish-o-pedia

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You first see them pretty early in the game (as in the first island) but fair enough, fixed. Sorry

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 10, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So far Island 3 seems to way too many 2D sections. The 2D gameplay is not this game's strength and accidentally stepping over the wrong camera trigger while exploring and getting locked into a 2D section doesn't feel good at all. Even weirder is that they put collectibles like purple coins in the background in some of these 2D sections, and so the challenge to reach these collectibles is to find a way to get back to that structure you ran across without being locked into 2D. Or in another 2D section, if you fell off a platform you got stuck between a wall and a bottomless pit because of the way these 2D sections are slotted into open 3D environments, and the way to escape is to make a leap of faith to the right over the bottomless pit so that the game will put you back into 3D while you're over the bottomless pit, and then you'll be able to steer Sonic back towards safe ground. I think this is the part where they started to run out of time.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

When I reached the first cutscene that showed who the ancients looked like I poo poo my pants so hard it blasted me through the roof. I am seriously looking forward to Sonic going forward if Sega are actually exploring this side of the lore now.

had the same reaction. this really feels like Sonic Adventure 3 and I am loving it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Island 3 sucks rear end!!!!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Any recommendations for PC settings? The game at standard high settings looks past gen at best. The tutorial where it shows Sonic and the rain fall is basically flashing static trying to simulate water.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

No that's just how it looks on every system

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Oh man these "parry X bullets!" missions make it really obvious that making parrying not require any timing at all was a last minute change. They all have different numbers of shots fired with different timings and none of it matters because you can just hold the bumpers and automatically win.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Emong posted:

Oh man these "parry X bullets!" missions make it really obvious that making parrying not require any timing at all was a last minute change. They all have different numbers of shots fired with different timings and none of it matters because you can just hold the bumpers and automatically win.

It’s one of the weirdest decisions in a game full of weird decisions lol.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/nescartridges/status/1590387410546077696?s=46&t=JdCnrBujzdtzmr-iH-EQ7g

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Just finished Island 2. The game has its Hank, and some traversal and design issues, but when it hits, the vibes are immaculate.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

This game got some rad music to it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Stopped at the final island for tonight. I dunno how replayable this game will be, but drat if it isn't fun in the moment. There's such a great flow to everything

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Everything about this, from its melodramatic lore-filled plot to its vaguely asset-store visuals and cutscenes that are mostly just two characters standing still and talking to its hugely ambitious format that tries to hit as many Sonic fan expectations and requests as possible to some of the voices sounding vaguely off... it all just feels like the most impressive 3D Sonic fangame ever. It very rarely feels like a professional high-budget product for consoles in 2022, but it does feel like it was put together by a very dedicated small team who mostly communicate via Discord over a decade or so.

I dig it a lot, but more than anything I want to see this iterated on with more style.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

fangames are hype

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I like when you fight the angels from Evangelion.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

This game kicked rear end and i'm so glad about it. i REALLY wanna see what they have next after all the groundwork they laid with this one

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ah man the ending and the credits song, gently caress dude

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

sonic....is good...

:unsmith:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sonic is so cool

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

sonic is so cool

Crazy how this has been the case for decades now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hate the cyberspace boost you hear the sfx like he's supposed to be zooming but he only goes like a tiny baby fraction bit faster and I frequently tap it a couple times to make sure it's on

Why is it even a thing here!!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Registering burner accounts on every Sonic community I can find and leaving a single drive-by post that reads "Heroes was the right direction for Sonic, Iizuka got loving robbed."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I hate the cyberspace boost you hear the sfx like he's supposed to be zooming but he only goes like a tiny baby fraction bit faster and I frequently tap it a couple times to make sure it's on

Why is it even a thing here!!

Going a bit faster and for getting S ranks (there’s a part of one Sky Sanctuary level where you need to be boosting or you die). A pity you never get an upgrade that allows you to hurt enemies with it like in the other boost games though

Also does beating the game unlock anything besides Arcade Mode (also can you refight the final boss and/or view the cutscenes again if you want)? Feel free to spoiler tag the answer if necessary

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 10, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I liked the nerfed boost, makes the stages feel slightly less automatic

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My Chao hit level cap!

Now I just need it to die so I can raise it as neutral and get it through the dark races.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

Island 3 sucks rear end!!!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oops you stepped on the wrong platform, your fun privileges are now revoked. you are hereby sentenced to mandatory community service in the form of an awkward obstacle course where you can't see poo poo in order to free yourself from 2D hedgehog prison

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is the third island the worst area in the game or do the last two have their own share of bullshit as well?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The third island is good. Farewell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

The third island is good. Farewell

The boss is cool at least