Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

OneTwentySix posted:

Has a release date been announced? I'm honestly pretty happy with the game as it is now, so I'm in no big rush (but will definitely buy it at release), but I'd like to know (roughly) when I should wrap up my current game by.

I've been looking for one, but haven't found it. Sounds like it could be in the next couple weeks from the way they phrased that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

A week from today.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Wow. That's a great collection of changes. I'll have a new goal of creating a tolerant nation based in Malta and covering the entire Mediterranean Sea when this patch comes out. Thanks Wiz!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Rakthar posted:

I believe his statement was basically "This makes westernization less powerful than before with no upside being introduced, due to the lack of ability to switch to western units."

Yes, you can no longer use Westernization to switch to those unit types, and that does make Westernization comparatively less useful than before. So while it still might have made sense to Westernize just for better units for any country that tails off early, that's no longer an option to improve troop quality.

Yes that is what I meant, Westernization has less value now. I guess it might be nice since it seems to be an actual choice now. We will see how this plays out.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Beamed posted:

A week from today.

And, if we're lucky, they might even get ironman up and running before that!

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
They already released a beta patch that gets it running again.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Baudin posted:

Wow. That's a great collection of changes. I'll have a new goal of creating a tolerant nation based in Malta and covering the entire Mediterranean Sea when this patch comes out. Thanks Wiz!

I'm doing that in a mp game right now. One thing I'd like to see is something about keeping the culture in your capital as an accepted culture at least, or maybe an easier way to change your primary culture other than having to give up all my territory and lose 5 stability. I hate having to convert Malta to Sicilian but I'd rather my island capital not revolt against me.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Sorced posted:

They already released a beta patch that gets it running again.

Well I'll be, wonderful!

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Wow the tolerance changes will really help early Lithuania game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's going to be huge for the Ottomans if they don't change their ideas at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Trujillo posted:

Infantry pips before and after:

If this is accurate it kind of fucks the inferior tech countries pretty badly really.

The middle of the back benefit the most really.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

If this is accurate it kind of fucks the inferior tech countries pretty badly really.

How do you come to that conclusion?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

It fucks them over a lot less than before however!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A 4 pip difference is not that big and comes late enough that any player should have built a big enough empire and army for it to not matter.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Baudin posted:

How do you come to that conclusion?

The difference was bigger but you have to westernize anyway as the low tiered groups so you got their units anyway.

Mid tiered tech groups didn't have to westernize and now care even less about doing so. Which is a fine decision for them, don't get me wrong.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dev diary screenshot contains an error message. Stop stealing ubik's code

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ubik's code has no bugs. It is always ready for release. :colbert:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Really looking forward to WoN, it's starting to look like the first really good Pdox expansion since The Old Gods. Granted alot of that is the patch and not specific expansion features but eh.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Zeron posted:

Really looking forward to WoN, it's starting to look like the first really good Pdox expansion since The Old Gods. Granted alot of that is the patch and not specific expansion features but eh.

It definitely looks like this expansion is going to bring more changes to normal gameplay than Conquest of Paradise did. I'm pretty excited.

Is that beta patch you can opt-in to the 1.6 beta? Or is it solely just a fix for ironman?

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
The beta today was just the ironman fix, no sneak peeks.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Was wondering if you pick a trade capitol can you still collect in your real capitol without penalty?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

The difference was bigger but you have to westernize anyway as the low tiered groups so you got their units anyway.

Mid tiered tech groups didn't have to westernize and now care even less about doing so. Which is a fine decision for them, don't get me wrong.

Also I think the reduction in neighbor bonus makes westernization a bit worse, too.

Edit: but yeah, virtually everything on the list looks great.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 23, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Trujillo posted:

Was wondering if you pick a trade capitol can you still collect in your real capitol without penalty?

I can't imagine that you can. I assume you won't auto-collect there either.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I kind of hope that the total number of unit types in the Western group gets pruned a bit so that there are meaningful increases between troop types. Like, instead of going from a (0/0, 0/1, 0/1) to a (0/0, 0/1, 1/1) to a (0/0, 1/1, 1/1) and so on, you just have some a few empty levels and then get a meaningful increase in pips when you upgrade. I'm really happy that troops are getting rebalanced, but if the highest total number of pips on a unit is 24, that probably means that Napoleonic Squares are 4/4, 4/4, 4/4. Having an enormous spectrum of slight upgrades along the way might dilute the impact of getting each upgrade.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
:siren: New Multiplayer Campaign :siren:

Saturday 3:00PM EST/8:00PM GMT/BST for four hours
Starting 6/7

Now that the date for WoN is set the Europa Gooniversalis group is going to be starting a new Saturday multiplayer game. The game will be using the Europa Gooniversalis mod which can be found here but with some tweaks for multiplayer. All rulers in Europe will start with the same stats and age so when you make your selection you're picking a country instead of a ruler. Republics will start with an elderly 4-2-2 ruler. Poland will also be split up for balance reasons (it's too strong for a player on an AI ally) and Pomerelia will no longer be a vassal of Sweden, along with redistributing some land from the bigger countries to make it more balanced. It won't be perfectly balanced but close.

Rules
To avoid mega-coalitions and other problems that arise in MP games a few rules are in effect:
*If a player can't make it to a session they should try to find a sub for themselves, or at least give prior notice so a sub can be found.
*No players can become a vassal or protectorate of another player, willing or otherwise.
*No players can be allied with each other while at peace to prevent the formation of mega alliances. You can only ally in war.
*Only one minor can be released from a player in each war.
*All players must tick the "leader may negotiate for us" box in war.
*Only 100 war score can be taken from each party in a war.
*A side in a war can declare victory if they reach the 25% ticking war score or force the enemy to 20 WE. The victor can then demand peace terms up to his war score which the loser must accept.
*Need to be able to at least run on speed 2 for the majority of the time.

Country Selection

The goal is to get two players in each region. Everyone should have a nearby neighbor to interact with, whether that means dividing up your region or turning it into a thunderdome. The regions are:

Iberia
France
Italy
South Germany
North Germany
Lowlands
Britain
Scandinavia
Poland-Lithuania
Russia
Hungary-Romania-Yugoslavia
Greece-Anatolia
North Africa-Levant
Steppe

So, if you want to join, go to this thread and post listing your top 3 country choices in order with your steam name if you're not already in the Europa Universalis goon group. If you don't want to post your steam you can add Last Emperor or Sammut. We'll try to accommodate as many first choices as possible but we do want to get two players in every region. If we get even more players than the amount that can fit in the listed regions we'll make new ones.

We don't want players in Asia or North America yet because we don't want people off playing single player and taking a whole continent. When players in Europe are wiped out they can choose to take countries in the east if there are none they want in Europe, and the far east will open up eventually.

Even if you're new to Eu4 it can be a good learning experience. But be warned, once you try a multiplayer game like this it's pretty hard to go back to playing alone.

Tentative list to help players still picking see what's open:

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 28, 2014

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Trujillo posted:

Count me in:
Steam Name: Dibujante
Picks:
  • Steppe (whichever of these is not too far east: Khwarizm>Nogai>Penza>Crimea)
  • Hungary-Romania-North Balkans (Hungary)
  • Italy (Sardinia)
  • But I'm flexible and am happy to fill into a region where there aren't enough players.

One thing we could do is, once all players have chosen countries, take a few moments to gin up some flavourful national ideas for those chosen countries that do not currently have them.

e: One issue with the "players may not be allied with each other outside of a war" deal: if you ally someone in a war, then call them in, then have to break the alliance once the war is done, you'll quickly rack up strong opinion maluses that will make it hard to ally with them in the future. Is this intended? Otherwise, there might need to be some kind of fix to that malus to help players keep their diplomatic options open with each other.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 24, 2014

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Dibujante posted:

e: One issue with the "players may not be allied with each other outside of a war" deal: if you ally someone in a war, then call them in, then have to break the alliance once the war is done, you'll quickly rack up strong opinion maluses that will make it hard to ally with them in the future. Is this intended? Otherwise, there might need to be some kind of fix to that malus to help players keep their diplomatic options open with each other.

It's designed to make the diplomacy not as stale as it sometimes gets in EU MP with long lasting mega alliances. You can't call your player allies in to every war now and just destroy the AI together. The malus will be lowered slightly but that's how it's intended. You can still give them guarantees or warn your enemies.

E: If people hate this rule we can get rid of it. Just a suggestion really.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 23, 2014

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Trujillo posted:

Top picks for me
1. Mamluks/Egypt
2. Oman
3. Southern France
4. Nicea/Thessalonika

Toxilogic
Mar 5, 2014
1. Mamluks
2. Ethiopia
3. Azerbaijan

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I am up for this.

Steam Name: Alikchi
Picks:
  • Hungary-Romania-North Balkans (Romania - Wallachia, probably)
  • South Germany (Swabia)
  • Italy (Magna Graecia)

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Trujillo posted:

It's designed to make the diplomacy not as stale as it sometimes gets in EU MP with long lasting mega alliances. You can't call your player allies in to every war now and just destroy the AI together. The malus will be lowered slightly but that's how it's intended. You can still give them guarantees or warn your enemies.

E: If people hate this rule we can get rid of it. Just a suggestion really.

I'm not knocking it, just making sure all the implications are known. I'm quite content with a rule whose basic effect is "I just wrapped up a war with you as my ally; so I can't ally you again for a while." specifically because it will keep alliance blocs out. Players can form neutrality blocs, but that's not as bad (and unpreventable, really).

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Alrighty, I'll give it a shot.

Steam name: Captain Fargle

I'll take:

1. Fez
2. Iceland
3. The Hansa

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Trujillo posted:

Gaha, fantastic. Steam name: Obliterati

1. The Hansa
2. Venice
3. Iberia - one of the new Muslim states we're getting by splitting al-Andalus?

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
Steam name: Vequeth

1. Brandenburg
2. Wessex
3. Kiev

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Might aswell get involved, and this seems a good game to start with

1. Ireland
2. Champagne
3. Navarra

Vaxan
Dec 25, 2010
1. Gelre

2. Algeria

3. Wales

proleetaryan
May 9, 2014
I am not sure of particular order. but... ...

1: The Knights
2: Lithuania
3: Qurighar

This is Hakuza

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I'll probably just end up going where ever we need an extra person but for now:

1. Burgundy
2. Provence
3. Norway

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Steam Name: The Platypus
1. Kingdom of Prester John

2. Iroqouis

3. Qurighar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

unwantedplatypus posted:

Steam Name: The Platypus
1. Kingdom of Prester John

2. Iroqouis

3. Qurighar

Should re-pick countries in the regions listed so we don't have one or two players in Asia/North American playing single player.

• Locked thread