Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

tak posted:

I wonder what would happen to the bagholders if someone were to cash out 1% of the "market cap" in a short time
Very little. Cheap coins for some lucky buyers for a few hours or days. Read this:

https://medium.com/max-exchange/lessons-learned-from-bitcoin-bearwhale-ca725cc60613

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

FC, have you explained yet why you don’t actually hold bitcoins if they are so great? Your coin base buys are not bitcoins.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

tak posted:

The miners must seize the means of block production of a thing supposedly resistant to seizure
Seriously though....

tak posted:

I wonder what would happen to the bagholders if someone were to cash out 1% of the "market cap" in a short time
The order book on most exchanges is so garbage it would probably have them getting filled at hilarious prices.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Flowers for QAnon posted:

FC, have you explained yet why you don’t actually hold bitcoins if they are so great? Your coin base buys are not bitcoins.
I trust Coinbase at least as much as I trust my bank. It's good enough for me considering the small quantity of btc I currently have. If I had $10k+ in btc I'd store it in a cold wallet at a secure location.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-gold-currency/shanghai-gold-boss-wants-super-sovereign-currency-for-post-crisis-times-idUSKCN22A1FY

quote:

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - The president of the Shanghai Gold Exchange (SGE) called for a new super-sovereign currency to offset the global dominance of the U.S. dollar, which he predicted would decline long term, while gold prices rally.

Concern has mounted among some market participants over the dollar-denominated system as the U.S. Federal Reserve cut interest rates to near-zero and embarked on unlimited quantitative easing to contain the economic damage of the coronavirus pandemic.

The measures have helped to drive gold prices to more than seven-year-highs this month, while the dollar has been range-bound. Wang Zhenying, who heads the world’s largest physical spot gold exchange, said in an interview the gold gains should be sustained, but ultimately a new kind of currency was needed.

“Future global trade needs a super-sovereign currency system under which no single country has the power to freeze the international assets of another country,” said Wang, who held senior roles at China’s central bank, which supervises the SGE.

Wang foresaw a decline in the U.S. currency, triggered by the Fed’s monetary policies.

“When the Fed turns on the liquidity tap, the U.S. dollar will, in theory, be in a long-term depreciatory trend,” he said, even though the panic of the current crisis could trigger a temporary scramble for the greenback.

His comments on a new global currency echo a previous proposal to reform the international monetary system during the 2008/09 global financial crisis.

Zhou Xiaochuan, former governor of the People’s Bank of China (PBOC), said that crisis and its spillover called for a super-sovereign reserve currency disconnected from individual nations.

Wang said the concept was still older. Indeed gold, one of the most ancient forms of money, falls into the category, but its supply is finite, limiting any role it can have in global trade.

The problem with the dollar-dominated monetary system, he said, was that it left countries vulnerable to potential U.S. sanctions and Washington’s power to freeze a nation’s international assets in the event of a dispute.

“It is a weapon for the U.S., but a source of insecurity for other countries,” Wang said.

“The currency the world ultimately chooses for global trade must not be one that gives someone privilege, while exposing others to insecurity.”

Wang, author of the book The Principle of Trading Economics, did not explain how the new currency could work, but said it must be adapted to a post-pandemic world, in which he said economic and political power would be more evenly spread.

“The global clout of the United States will reduce, while the status of the European Union and China will rise in global affairs,” he said.
Say it with me folks: "This is good for Bitcoin."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
china complains about the us dollar being top dog and then proposes a chinese super currency

i'll admit that a global currency controlled by the most psychopathic dystopian panopticon civilization our world has ever seen, would in fact be good for getting people to adopt bitcoin. but lmao

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

The White Dragon posted:

china complains about the us dollar being top dog and then proposes a chinese super currency

i'll admit that a global currency controlled by the most psychopathic dystopian panopticon civilization our world has ever seen, would in fact be good for getting people to adopt bitcoin. but lmao

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Wang foresaw a decline in the U.S. currency, triggered by the Fed’s monetary policies, he said floating in a big tank of salt water generated from his government holding lots of USD-denominated debt then Chernobyling its way into a global recession that devalued it.

“Future global trade needs a super-sovereign currency system under which no single country has the power to freeze the international assets of another country,” said the rep of a government scared shitless about the market abandoning its manufacturing over lovely PPE and which in any just world would be under crippling sanction for genocide.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 1, 2020

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Gold bug decries fiat currency

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Because I'm not a scumbag capitalist who enjoys parasitizing the labor of the working class.
nah, just killing them

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Nope, I never actually bought any btc, don't hold any. Just Coinbase IOUs.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Frankly it's getting tiring and boring defending exchanges when I have no need for one. I cede the argument about exchanges. Congrats, you win. They're bad.
You have no need for exchanges? All your coins are on an exchange

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Buying coinbase IOUs is what pays the miners

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Splicer posted:

You have no need for exchanges? All your coins are on an exchange
Using an exchange is not the same thing as NEEDING to use an exchange. I live in a major city, as I've already mentioned ITT.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Using an exchange is not the same thing as NEEDING to use an exchange. I live in a major city, as I've already mentioned ITT.
Why do you have so many posts about why people should buy bitcoin if you yourself are not buying any bitcoin

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Splicer posted:

Why do you have so many posts about why people should buy bitcoin if you yourself are not buying any bitcoin
I enjoy getting different perspectives on it and sharing my own views. This is a forum, after all.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I enjoy getting different perspectives on it and sharing my own views. This is a forum, after all.
I dunno man, you're coming across as a bit of a hypocrite

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fleetwood Crack posted:

So wait, you don't even have bitcoins? you've just got the promise of internet pog shavings? what the hell man

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Splicer posted:

I dunno man, you're coming across as a bit of a hypocrite
I'm going to get these personal attacks no matter what I say as long as I support Bitcoin so it makes no difference to me what you call me. :shrug:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Uh this is useless pedantics

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Fleetwood Crack posted:

If you choose to believe bitcoin is a ponzi/pyramid scheme that's fine, but that's simply not the case. Sorry, but I'm not going to engage with you about this as I (and others) have already addressed those arguments in this thread.

it’s a ponzi scheme ya big dingus

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I'm going to get these personal attacks no matter what I say as long as I support Bitcoin so it makes no difference to me what you call me. :shrug:
You don't support bitcoin though. Just minutes ago you stated this as a point of pride

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Splicer posted:

You don't support bitcoin though. Just minutes ago you stated this as a point of pride
Minutes ago you said I do:

Splicer posted:

Buying coinbase IOUs is what pays the miners
Which is it?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Minutes ago you said I do:
Which is it?
You support it financially while distancing yourself from it morally. The worst of both worlds.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Splicer posted:

You support it financially while distancing yourself from it morally. The worst of both worlds.
I have explained my reasons for supporting it many times already in this thread.

I've also explained that it's not going to be the thing that tips the scales on the survival of Earth's biosphere. The fate of global capitalism is the only factor there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If you truly believed in bitcoin you would have responded to this:
With an explanation of why this was not true or an explanation of why it was somehow worth it or some other variation of why owning bitcoin is still good. Instead you said

Fleetwood Crack posted:

This is not a response of support. This is a response of distancing. This is the response of a charlatan or a coward.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I have explained my reasons for supporting it many times already in this thread.

I've also explained that it's not going to be the thing that tips the scales on the survival of Earth's biosphere. The fate of global capitalism is the only factor there.
This is the response of a charlatan and a coward.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Splicer posted:

Agree to disagree. Bitcoin is an insurance policy against failed states and corrupt governments. If you trust your government to never betray you as a citizen, you should read more history imho. Sooner or later the state always devours its people in times of crisis.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Splicer posted:

.......just like every other coiner that's come through these threads over the last decade

I miss JohnnyWalker(?) and his homemade .999 silver ingots

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I do have a question. What is bitcoin backed by? What is its intrinsic value? Gold's intrinsic value is in the material itself, its rarity and usefulness materially as a conductor, corrosion resistance, and beauty. The US Dollar's intrinsic value is in the legal basis that it is valid tender for the repayment of all debts recognized in the US, public or private. Bitcoin's intrinsic value is, what exactly? What is the value of a system that is inextricably intertwined with the modern information technology infrastructure, the disruption of which would cause Bitcoin to be completely worthless?

You claim bitcoin is censorship resistant but what happens if the US and Europe's internet backbones shut down simultaneously, due to war, societal collapse, natural disaster? With no internet, how would bitcoin even work? How would you access your "stored value" or trade it? You can't get consensus on a transaction if you can't talk to anyone.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 1, 2020

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

vortmax posted:

.......just like every other coiner that's come through these threads over the last decade

I miss JohnnyWalker(?) and his homemade .999 silver ingots

Lol I forgot about those

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Agree to disagree. Bitcoin is an insurance policy against failed states and corrupt governments. If you trust your government to never betray you as a citizen, you should read more history imho. Sooner or later the state always devours its people in times of crisis.

You keep saying the the price will just keep going up. And it’s a hedge against tyranny govt. yet you have a pittance invested. You need to go all in dude. Your just gambling your families future if you don’t.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fleetwood Crack posted:

To call this a non sequitur would be an insult to latin

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's the mean lifetime of national internet during a coup / a state going under?

orange juche posted:

I do have a question. What is bitcoin backed by? What is its intrinsic value? Gold's intrinsic value is in the material itself, its rarity and usefulness materially as a conductor, corrosion resistance, and beauty. The US Dollar's intrinsic value is in the legal basis that it is valid tender for the repayment of all debts recognized in the US, public or private. Bitcoin's intrinsic value is, what exactly? What is the value of a system that is inextricably intertwined with the modern information technology infrastructure, the disruption of which would cause Bitcoin to be completely worthless?
It has intrinsic value to bitch-tier consumer-class criminals by allowing for physical distance between them and really awful producer class.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 1, 2020

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Too bad we can't know whether the price will go up if the global economy starts dying

Oh well

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Splicer posted:

This is not a response of support. This is a response of distancing. This is the response of a charlatan or a coward.

please do not sully my good name as a charlatan, or as a coward, by comparing us to bit coiners

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I trust Coinbase at least as much as I trust my bank. It's good enough for me considering the small quantity of btc I currently have. If I had $10k+ in btc I'd store it in a cold wallet at a secure location.

This doesn’t answer the question- why did you not buy bitcoin directly?

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

He still hasn't addressed at all why if he claims to be so anti capitalist, why all he does is parrot verbatim the same caputalist nonsense every libertarian and ancap into bitcoin on here and reddit have repeated for the last decade.

Like you could take any of the past people who've done the same tired dance he has on this forum regarding bitcoins and compare their posts and find them matching up more or less completely, save for the fact at least they were honest enough with themselves to admit their arguments were in fact rooted in "gently caress you got mine".

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

orange juche posted:

I do have a question. What is bitcoin backed by? What is its intrinsic value?

quote:

the really interesting and transformative properties of bitcoin come from the eradication of borders and the elimination of centralization.

What makes bitcoin free, open, and borderless is the decentralized Proof-of-Work consensus algorithm.

[...]

As with the many industries disintermediated by the Internet, banks will survive. But they will be fundamentally changed and their power and profitability will be significantly reduced. They can’t adapt and they can’t stop this disruption.
https://futurism.com/promise-bitcoin-interview-andreas-m-antonopoulos

quote:

Alex Gladstein, the chief of strategy at the Human Rights Foundation, posted a TIME Magazine column praising Bitcoin for its ability to combat authoritarianism. The human rights zealot drew attention to Venezuela’s absurd inflation rate and corruption scandals to accentuate the idea that authoritarianism oppresses and hurts the common man.

Gladstein claimed that while some have lost all hope, other forward-thinkers have found solace in the unique characteristics of Bitcoin. He wrote:

“For people living under authoritarian governments, Bitcoin can be a valuable financial tool as a censorship-resistant medium of exchange.”

To back his point, Gladstein drew attention to the role that Bitcoin can play in remittances, noting that Venezuelans can mitigate the 56% fees that financial service firms charge, while also shaving days, if not weeks off transaction times. This is far from Bitcoin’s limit, however, as the world’s most secured transaction settlement layer will grow even more valuable, especially with the second-layer applications that are in the works.

https://blockgeeks.com/bitcoin-evangelist-killer-application-crypto-currency-crises/

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I got probed for pointing this out earlier, but you guys have been taking a C-SPAM poster seriously for weeks now so I feel it's worth repeating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
editorial pieces from noted peer-reviewed journals Futurism and Block Chain Geeks Dot Com

you might enjoy this link, "why you should eat my rear end" from extremegoatmangaming.tk. lots of empirical science