Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.
The Dino Management would like to remind the SL Press that the Phantoms actually had a worse pythag record than the Dinos in the last SL season. As such, Dino Management is certain that SL history will eventually show that the Phantoms are the inferior team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Bombers lineup vs. RHP:

SS - Vaughan
CF - Hamilton
2B - Collins
RF - Ramirez
DH - Pujols
LF - Bonds
1B - Carew
C - Berra
3B - Santo

vs. LHP:

SS - Vaughan
2B - Collins
DH - Pujols
RF - Ramirez
LF - Bonds
1B - Carew
C - BErra
3B - Santo
CF - Davis

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Winning only 3 out of the last 12 seems like a pretty good time to panic, but I will not...for now.

Some lineup shuffling to hopefully improve my offense.

vs RHP
SS Appling
CF Charleston
1B Thomas
LF Bonds
RF Robinson
C Torre/Campanella
3B Mathews
2B Frisch
P Pitcher

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

Forzelt posted:

The Dino Management would like to remind the SL Press that the Phantoms actually had a worse pythag record than the Dinos in the last SL season. As such, Dino Management is certain that SL history will eventually show that the Phantoms are the inferior team.

And yet you chose to team with me. Next time I see you in chat I'm going to send you the lineup I made and after discussing subs the team will be set.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

: Hey, we won three games this week. And the pitching only gave up about 4 runs a game! I feel better than I have about competing since I got my rear end kicked by Elizabeth Warren in the 2012 Senatorial debates!

: Still sitting six games shy of .500, though. The boss is going to want better results.

: That's right. I am. You've got one quarter-month left to show why we shouldn't be looking for a turnaround artist.

: Quarter-month? You mean a week?

: We're going to miss our monthly projected winnings already, but if you can take four of the next six we'll actually overperform the market's current expectations.

: Plus, do you know how many people want your job? I even had George Pataki calling me and asking if he could come up to the Campaign trail to "explore some possibilities." I mean, good golly. He'll never actually apply for the job...

: I get it, I'm on the hot seat. OK then, time to make some changes.

Roster Changes:

Curt Simmons to 5th starter.

Adam Wainwright to Long Man.

Mark Buehrle to Rick Ankiel's Middle Relief spot.

Middle Relief Rick Ankiel to the minors.

Troy Glaus into the lineup replacing Han-Ram at third.

Hanley Ramirez to the bench.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

habeasdorkus posted:

Roster Changes:

Curt Simmons to 5th starter.

Adam Wainwright to Long Man.

Mark Buehrle to Rick Ankiel's Middle Relief spot.

Middle Relief Rick Ankiel to the minors.

Troy Glaus into the lineup replacing Han-Ram at third.

Hanley Ramirez to the bench.

I simmed the week about two minutes before you made that post.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I spent too much time writing up the fluff!

No worries, I doubt it'll make much of a difference.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Week 4 Injury Report

Antarctic Coldplayers
A Greg Maddux (SP) (The herd must be culled) - 99 days

Australian Thunder
Republic of Zambia (RP) (International Sanctions) - 8 days

Oklahoma City Bombers
Yogi Berra (C) (But the future refused to change!) - 25 days

Pick 'em: PICK WALDO NOW!

Cruiserweight Championship
Florida Oranges @ Dorchester Phantoms (c)

Hardcore and Television Championships
Krakow Dragons (c) @ Akabira Confessors

Grand Slam Championships
Somali Pirates (c) @ Rockford Losers

:siren:Free Bonus Content! But it's not about baseball, so feel free to just scroll on down!:siren:

Legion of Super-Heroes (v4) #3

Starring the 30th Century's Fanciest Super-Villain!

Last time: Ultra Boy and Kono were smugglers! The government of Rimbor didn't like them, and tried to kill them. Tried indeed.

Time for a quick round up of where some other former members of the Legion ended up after the time skip! Dream Girl is in charge of her planet, but her planet doesn't really matter! Sun Boy is a stooge for the evil government of Earth, and it's revealed that the evil Dominators are the ones secretly controlling said Earthgov! Element Lad is on Trom guarding the memorials he's erected for all of his dead countrymen! Mon-El, who had died in the penultimate issue of the last volume of Legion of Super-Heroes, is still (mostly) dead! Dawnstar is doing something! Polar Boy is in prison! Star Boy became a pro sports coach (it will later turn out that he became a baseball manager)! Brainiac 5 is dealing with some kid afflicted with some plague! And Chameleon Boy and Cosmic Boy are on Rimbor looking for Ultra Boy!

A minion informs Mordru, an evil space wizard and one the Legion's most prominent foes, that the Legion is starting to reform. Mordru is displeased, because it means that Mordru can no longer spend all of his free time watching Rond Vidar, friend of the Legion, be tortured. He does, however, still have time to crush Rond Vidar's Green Lantern ring for fun.

Winath! Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl, founders of the Legion, have decided to stop doing heroic stuff, and run a large farm instead.

Lightning Lad has also decided to engage in sparkling word play with his brother.

Hey, listen, guys, I'm sure that eventually someone will do something heroic in this comic. At some point. Probably. Also, Saturn Girl is pregnant again. EXCITEMENT! Meanwhile, Lightning Lass and Shrinking Violet have decided to get nude, because nudity is big on Winath, and walk around a memorial garden dedicated to all of their friends that died while part of the Legion. In the future, it's going to become totally normal to strip down to your underwear and walk around solemn memorials, okay? It will be considered impolite to wear anything more concealing than a loincloth to funerals. Lightning Lass says that she used to worry that, when Shrinking Violet was in the Imskian army, that Lightning Lass was going to go out to the garden and find Violet's statue among the others. Because, you know, then Shrinking Violet would be dead.

Well, Keith Giffen, you are certainly trying to sexualize the female form. Or maybe sexualize chiaroscuro.

Rimbor! Cosmic Boy and Chameleon Boy are in the slums, although, as we talked about last time, that really could describe anywhere on the planet, and Cosmic Boy wonders if Ultra Boy is really suitable to be in the Legion at this point, what with the smuggling operation and all. Hey, there's nothing wrong with being a smuggler! Han Solo was a smuggler! A large furry creature named Furball shows up and directs them, since Furball can't talk, to follow him to find Ultra Boy. See, how bad can Ultra Boy be? He has his own Chewbacca! Mordru uses magic to monitor them.

Ultra Boy receives Chameleon Boy and Cosmic Boy at the heart of his smuggling operation, and gives them hugs of friendship.

Earth! The Dominators who secretly control Earthgov reveal that they were the ones who sprung Roxxas from space-prison to go and kill the Legionnaires before they can reform the Legion. Also, they're hoping that Roxxas can take care of the Legion problem quietly, without attracting undue attention. A number of Dominators point out that calling on a man most famously for killing an entire planet's worth of people might not be the best way to do something quietly.

Speaking of which, Roxxas is on the case! He's tracked down Blok, a former member of the Legion who was made of stone and never did anything interesting. He doesn't really prove all that more interesting in death, since Roxxas just blows him to bits with a special anti-Blok gun, and then Blok hallucinates going up the "steps of eternity to find out the truth about who he is." And then Blok dies. Sad. In theory.

Roxxas wins! Somehow. Wait, exactly what did he do?

Mordru continues to monitor Cosmic Boy's group, and finds out that the new Legion's first plan of action is to mount a rescue of the White Witch, another former teammate of theirs, who is currently being held captive by Mordru, who decides to get ready for another showdown with the Legion. Ultra Boy agrees to help Chameleon Boy and Cosmic Boy with that, and suggests they take Kono with them, because, hell, why not?

Winath! Roxxas, master of subtlety, has mailed the pieces of Blok's body to Lightning Lad's son, noting that Lightning Lad does like to collect those dead Legionnaires statues, and Blok's body kind of already is a statue, with some re-assembly required.

Earth! The Dominators finds out that their super-subtle plan to destroy the morale of the Legionnaires through Roxxas has hit a snag, since sending a dead body and signing a note attached to the dead body is not precisely quiet or subtle.

Rimbor! Cosmic Boy feels like the new Legion is really coming together. It's been three issues, I'd hope so!

Text Piece! It's about how Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl started up a profitable agricultural concern. Because that really needed exposition. Also, how one of their sons was the carrier of a deadly plague from when he was under the control of Darkseid. So that's the kid that Brainiac 5 was looking after at the top of the issue. (It's complicated. And boring.)2

Meanwhile, On Shanghalla, the cemetery planet, Mon-El comes back to life and bursts right out of his grave. But he's also hearing voices in his head. Do they counsel him? Do they understand? We'll have to wait until next issue! To be continued!

Notes and Technicalities

2The Legion once thwarted a plan of Darkseid's to conquer the universe, so Darkseid retaliated by stealing one Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl's first set of twins, turning him into a monster named Validus, and then sending him back in time to fight the Legion a bunch of times. As you do when you're a villain. And then Darkseid decided to turn Validus back into an infant and give him back to Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl at a certain point, because that whole deal really wasn't working out, nor, realistically, could it work out, since if Validus managed to kill his parents before he was born, well, you can see the problem. But he did manage to turn the kid into a carrier of a plague. In conclusion, my head hurts.

Characters of Note

-Dream Girl-

Nura Nal has the power to see the future! Kind of. Sort of. And only in dreams. She was also in a long-term relationship with Star Boy that crumbled when she was unfaithful to him. Repeatedly. But, hey, a few of the times she cheated on him, she did so under the effect of a dude with evil psychic powers! Eventually, she resigned from the Legion to become the leader of her home planet, Naltor. She won't do anything all that important in any of these comics.

-Mon-El-

Okay, lads, you thought poo poo was confusing before? This is where the rubber really meets the road!

Lar Gand was from the planet Daxam, where everyone has the same powers as Superman, except instead of only being weak to Kryptonite, they're weak to lead, which is a fair bit more common that Kryptonite. And by weak to lead, I mean, if they get exposed to trace amounts of it, they die. He was originally from the 20th Century, and was cruising through the cosmos when he crashed onto Earth, losing his memory in the process. Superboy thought he was from Krypton, since they had the same powers, and dubbed him Mon-El, since Superboy found him on a Monday, and Superboy is Kal-El, the El being his family name. But then Superboy thought that Mon-El might have been trying to pull a fast one, so he Mon-El tricked by exposing him to a piece of lead painted up to look like Kryptonite. Mon-El recoiled in horror, and Superboy was sure he had out-conned Mon-El, pointing that if Mon-El were a real Kryptonian, he wouldn't have been hurt, since it wasn't really Kryptonite. Mon-El, who now had his memory back, explained that he was super-weak to lead, and that's what he was reacting to. Since Mon-El was dying by this point, Superboy put him into the Phantom Zone until he could come up with a cure. 1000 years later, with Superboy having struck out on that regard, the Legion pulled Mon-El out of the Phantom Zone and cured him. He had a fun time in the Legion, fell in love with another member named Shadow Lass, and then had to watch as Superboy, well, a Superboy at any rate, sacrificed himself to stop one of Time Trapper's schemes. Mon-El was so pissed that he helped a faction of Legionnaires conspire to kill Time Trapper once and for all. And they did! But Mon-El got repeatedly blasted by the Trapper with rays of pure entropy, which hurt MOn-El badly, and continued to eat away at him even after the fight. A few months later, he was on life support, and then all technology in the galaxy stopped working for storyline reasons, and Mon-El died. So now he's dead. Except he just came back to life at the end of this issue, so scratch that last part.

-Dawnstar-

By the late '70s, it had become kind of embarrassing that the members of the Legion were all either white, or alien. As part of an attempt to rectify that, they introduced Dawnstar, a Native American character whose power was super-tracking, and who wore a buckskin outfit with fringes. Diversity problem solved forever! She also has wings for some reason.

-Star Boy-

Thom Kallor once killed a dude, but it was in self-defense! The Legion didn't care, and voted him out of the Legion in disgrace. But the Legion kind of works similarly to pro wrestling, in that he managed to get back on the team a few months later wearing a mask and pretending to be a new character named "Sir Prize". That was also the very last interesting thing he did as a member of the Legion.

-Mordru-

The Legion villain par excellence. He is an evil warlord with magical powers who tends to like to try and conquer the universe whenever possible. But since he has a crippling fear of claustrophobia, the Legion usually buries him in a big pile of rubble, and that causes him to shut down. At some point, he lost his powers, and without those powers, he was actually a relatively sensible fellow. But now he's got his powers back, and is evil again. Keith Giffen had given Mordru a revised origin story a couple of years before this story, but I don't care to relate the details at this time, even though, 40 issues down the line, I guess I will, since it will become kind of important at that point. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

-Rond Vidar-

Brainiac 5's best friend, who is a fellow super-scientist. He is also Universo's son, and since Universo is a super-villain, he once tried to kill Rond, forcing Rond to fake his own death for a while. Rond also managed to get his hands on a Green Lantern ring for a while, but Mordru smashed that up good last issue. In this iteration of continuity, he has no significant other that would want to know where he is, which is why he's been trapped on Mordru's world for quite some time. I can only assume that no alterations to continuity will change that basic storyline fact in the near-future.

-Furball-

A big furry dude with a lot of hair and PATHOS! Well, theoretical pathos. Given the context when we learn Furball's tragic circumstances, it's going to be hard to care.

-The Dominators-

A villainous race of dudes with big heads and lots of pointy teeth who want to conquer Earth to use the genetic code of humans to create a lot of super-powered people that they can use to conquer the universe! By the standards of this comic, that's actually a logical and straightforward plan, really.

-Blok-

A giant dude made of stone. He was stoically boring. Also, the last of kind. And then he got blown up.

-Lightning Lad-

Garth Ranzz was one of the first three members of the Legion, and had lightning powers. He managed to get himself killed once, and then came back to life*, and then managed to get his arm blown off during an attack on a space-whale gone awry. He later had it regrown, though. And now he's a successful farmer married to Saturn Girl, except that one of his children is the carrier of a deadly plague, and said plague managed to cripple one of his legs.

-Saturn Girl-

Imra Ardeen, like all people from Titan, has telepathy. She was one of the first three members of the Legion and is a deeply boring character.

-White Witch-

Mysa Nal, Nura's sister, is a magician with magical powers of magic. She's been helping the magical community try and get back on its feet with magic after the magical Sorceror's World got blown to magic bits at the end of the last volume of Legion of Super-Heroes due to magic. Sadly, part of that magical plan involved giving Mordru his magic powers back, which did not work magically well. Magic.

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 5, 2015

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Dorchester Phantoms (they're the champions, right?)

Krakow Dragons (c)

Grand Slam Championships
Rockford Losers

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Champs retain.

Also, if you think Dawnstar was bad... hey Smasher, does Tyroc show up in the 5YL Legion? Because Tyroc is a great example of how a comicbook's attempt to add diversity was actually racist as gently caress.

(edit: Wikipedia tells me he does show up eventually, so I'll let Smasher explain when he gets there. Hoo boy.)

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 5, 2015

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oh Comics and your inability to add racially diverse characters that just act like normal people. I'm finding this Let's Read of the Legion of Superheroes to be quite entertaining.

Anyway:

Pickem: Champs retain.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Roxxas wins! Somehow. Wait, exactly what did he do?

Isn't it obvious? He went POOM! Everybody knows rock monsters are weak to POOM!

Pick 'Em: Oranges take, rest retain.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Champs retain.

Also, if you think Dawnstar was bad... hey Smasher, does Tyroc show up in the 5YL Legion? Because Tyroc is a great example of how a comicbook's attempt to add diversity was actually racist as gently caress.

(edit: Wikipedia tells me he does show up eventually, so I'll let Smasher explain when he gets there. Hoo boy.)

Tyroc is in this story. As is his magical island.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Grand Slam Championships

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Grand Slam Championships

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Florida Oranges

Krakow Dragons (c)

Grand Slam Championships
Somali Pirates (c)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Tyroc is in this story. As is his magical island.

The magical island where, in the future, all the black people live.

(I can't wait)

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Grand Slam Championships

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

TKBomber7285 posted:

And yet you chose to team with me. Next time I see you in chat I'm going to send you the lineup I made and after discussing subs the team will be set.

We can settle our grudge after the Tag-Team!

We have different hours but I will try to hop on IRC this weekend.

e: PICK'EM

Dorchester Phantoms (c)

Krakow Dragons (c)

Grand Slam Championships
Somali Pirates (c)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The magical island where, in the future, all the black people live.

(I can't wait)

Roxbury?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
pick em
Champs retain

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Grand Slam Championships

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Sub-Par League IV, Week 3: Warum hast du uns das angetan?

Games of the Weak

Frank Gaiman posted:

GENERICS SOLIDIFY HOLD ON FIRST PLACE, MOUNTIES HORRIFIED

Rochester - This was not the way the season was supposed to start.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, despite being a team of geriatrics, boasts probably the best roster of any Subpar League team. Their continued presence in the Subpar League, however, speaks to a structural flaw that prevents them from continued success. Nevertheless, many people picked them to win their division, presumably on the power of their various ancient stars.

Which makes today's game all the more frustrating for fans of the Canadian squad, since if they can't win in the season's first month, how will they compete when their players start retiring and/or dying by the late summer? Today, the Mounties couldn't get anything going against Tom Seaver, and generally wasted Walter Johnson's strong effort, losing 3-1 to a surprisingly good Generics team.

Things started off well enough for the Mounties, taking a 1-0 lead on a Lou Gehrig single. Johnson looked good through the first two innings, but ran into some trouble in the 3rd. Eddie Collins led off with a single, but when Arky Vaughan failed to make contact with the ball on a hit-and-run, Collins was dead. A slow grounder by Vaughan led to the second out, with still nobody on base.

Yet the Generics, despite their namesake, actually have some brand-name players. Joe Jackson doubled, and promptly scored on an Albert Pujols double to tie the game. On the very next pitch, Mel Ott homered over the left field fence, putting the Generics up 3-1. It happened in a flash: Jackson, Pujols, and Ott all swung at the first pitch.

Evidently, the Mounties had an episode of an Old Person Show to watch, as they didn't even bother to rally after that. Ken "Not as Bad as You Think" Oberkfell had a two-out single that put runners at the corners with two out, but Harmon Killebrew failed as a pinch hitter. Billy Wagner mowed down the Mounties in the 9th with three strikeouts.

DannoMack, understandably, was horrified. "What is wrong with you people? Don't you know you have a finite time on this earth to bank a divisional lead? Some of you won't be here in a few months!"

"Quiet, Dan," said Cy Old. "Matlack is on."

"What are you talking about, Cy? And don't tell me what t--"

"Sssssh!" Cy Older put his finger to his lips. "This is the episode where we learn how Matlack goes from lovable country lefthander to prominent lawyer."

"I think maybe you're confusing Jon Matlack with--"

"Fiddlesticks!" shouted Stan Musial. "This is the one where his minority assistant investigator gets replaced by a totally different guy but nobody acknowledges it and the show just continues as if all people of that minority look the same!"

At that point, kw0134 entered the room. "As owner of the Generics, I feel obliged to point out that a brand-name male lead, or even supporting actor, can put a crimp in your budget. I have a variety of replacable parts to serve various needs. For example, did you know that Omar Epps had a career in Rochester when he was called on to replace Wesley Snipes as Willie 'Mays' Hayes?"

DannoMack shook his head. "That doesn't even make any sense, though! Omar Epps is himself a name actor. I've watched House!"

Walter Johnson put his hands over DannoMack's mouth. "That's enough of that. I think it's time for you to go to bed." He slipped a butterscotch under DannoMack's tongue, causing the Canadian owner to make a horrible face and crawl off to bed. "Furthermore, we don't acknowledge House in this clubhouse. Our preferred medical drama is set in Middle Earth."

"Yes!" shouted kw0134. "Diagnosis: Mordor. Starring Rick Van den Hurk."

GAME NOTES

- Walter Johnson only managed one strikeout. Come on, you can do better than that! You're the fastest pitcher alive! No one can hit your speed ball!

- Did you know? Much like his beloved Maple Leafs, DannoMack will never, ever win anything. Tragic.

Box Score

The Pan Man posted:

BOSTONIANS MEET PEOPLE WHO MAKE BEER FOR A LIVING, GET DRUNK AND LOSE

Bawstan - It wasn't really unexpected. The Aleworkers make ale, and Bostonians drink ale. It was a well-meaning pairing of two groups who happen to appreciate beer. The problem was that there was baseball to be played, and it seemed like AnAnonymousIdiot's Aleworkers were better equipped to handle a transition to baseball than DivineCoffeeBinge's Murph's. The proof was in the lineup card.

In a scribbled scrawl, several key positions looked like gibberish. The umpire crew chief tried his best to decipher it, but he mistook "Foxx" for "Finney" and "Williams" for "DiMaggio". When DCB tried to send his team out as planned, the umpire told him what the lineup card actually said. Too drunk to argue, DCB just threw up his arms and half a pint of nitro stout, and let his team take the field without their two best hitters.

It didn't matter for most of the game, though. Boston's Harvey Haddix kept a potent Loveland lineup off balance for most of the game, bending at various points a little without breaking. And down 3-0 by the fifth, the Murphs' offense fought back with a run in the fifth and two in the seventh to leave the newly tied ballgame in the hands of the bullpens.

Lou Finney was an interesting case of a man relatively unknown to the Super-League getting an unexpected start. Ron Davis, however, was counted on by DCB to close games for the Murphs. His presence on the mound in a late and close game was, bizarrely, expected. As a journeyman reliever of middling skill, he is not a classic Super-League reliever like your Fingerses, Gossageses, or Riverases.

And so it was not a great surprise that he was immediately victimized.

Single.
Sac bunt.
Intentional walk to set up a double play.
Double.
Intentional walk to load the bases.
Single.
Strikeout.
Single.
Single.
Strikeout.

A 3-3 nailbiter transformed into a 8-3 laugher, which propelled the Aleworkers to a respectable 9-6 record on the season, reason enough to visit the gastropub and celebrate after the game. And the loss sent the Murphs to a nice, but disappointing, 6-9, reason enough to visit the dive bar and drink away their sorrow. But before that, each team would need a few beers to settle their nerves, and then a couple road beers to rehydrate themselves after the game.

AnAnonymousIdiot sat at the podium for the press conference with a small port glass filled with sherry cherry cyser. He took delicate sips in between questions regarding his team's victory.

"I guess the difference between our team is pacing. We knew the game would be 9 innings, so we looked at more sessionable brews to keep things going longer. The baseball season is like brewing beer. It's all about making sure you sanitize things, keep things temperature controlled, add in only the best grain and hops, the best water, and then just keep carrying on with an even keel until you pour some drat fine beer. That's baseball to a T."

While the beat writers weren't sure how much the manager's analogy worked, he at least was in a state to discuss baseball. DCB was slumped over the microphone, alternating between moans and snores. The only response he gave was to a question about his lineup decisions, a tortured "I don't caaaaaarrrrrrrre" before stumbling away from the dais, holding his head in his hands, making a troubling "URP" sound inside his mouth, and then jog-stumbling off the stage.

GAME NOTES

- Jim Kitty Kaat had a homer! Woo!

- Both starters had quality starts of dubious quality, each giving up 3 runs. Haddix struck out 6 hitters, including some tough customers like Ty Cobb and Lou Gehrig, and looked a little sharper overall.

- George Grantham had two errors. It's hard to really say it's his fault, since he was put at shortstop despite never playing an inning at shortstop. And even when he played second base, his normal position, he gave up tons of errors (.949 career F% at 2nd). And he's a rookie! In his second year he gave up 55 errors! His nickname is Boots for a reason. If you want his bat in your lineup you better get ready for comedy in the field.

- No really who the hell is Lou Finney?

- In "It's just a little early, they're still good, they're still good" theater, Lou Gehrig is hitting .118 for the Aleworkers, and Mike Piazza is hitting .103 for the Murphs.

Box Score

Old McDonald posted:

DIRELY NEEDED WIN FOR DIREWOLVES OVERSHADOWED AS POISONING STRIKES AUROCHS' BULLPEN

Besaid Island - This just wasn't the day for the Aurochs. They got off to a hot start this season, coming into Week 3 at 8-5 only half a game behind the division leaders, the Cosmic Space Fish, despite having a pythagorean record of 5-8, and the team has rallied behind first-time owner The Big Tebowski, enjoying their newfound image as the plucky rookie underdog that finds a way to succeed against all odds, spitting in the face of sabermetrics and just winning, baby. However, all was not well at Besaid Island.

Coming into town were the Yellowstone Direwolves, a team down on its luck and desperate for a win, a team looking to prove that they belong, a team that just really wants their hitters to stop being so god drat terrible. With deadball-heavy pitching in hand and Good Pitcher Deacon Phillippe taking the mound, the Direwolves were ready to reverse their fortunes, and the situation coming into the game was looking good for them. For the Aurochs, Bob Gibson would be making the start - a man who has struggled in his first two outings and might be starting to fear for his spot in the rotation. And as many successful owners can tell you, fear is a emotion to capitalize on.

The game itself was that kind of game. You know the one - the one where things start off on the wrong foot, and then things don't get any better. Gibson would surrender four runs in the first four innings, and would continue to get hammered throughout the game, giving up nine earned runs before he would finally be removed from the game, but by that point, the damage was done, and the Direwolves ended the game with a very crucial 10-5 victory. The Aurochs' offense, bless them, simply didn't have the heart they seemed to have before the game, and all the players involved in the game felt rather deflated. As such, the post-game interview duty for the Aurochs fell to Clark Griffith, the long relief pitcher.

"Well, I'm not sure what to say, really," began Griffith. "The team seemed like such a cohesive unit up to this point, but now I get the feeling that anything could happen. Being beaten so soundly at home kind of reinforces the idea that we're not deserving of our winning record, and that can make players very nervous. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if things start getting out of hand. Have you considered that players might start seriously harming other players to secure their spots or to get a chance to move up? I have." Upon being asked what he means by that, Griffith replied, "I might be a bit paranoid, but I wouldn't be surprised if some player who's been doing kind of badly starts considering more... extreme methods of maintaining his spot. I've talked to some players that have spent some time in the void that is the minor leagues of the Sub-Par League, and I hear it's a terrifying experience. Did you know tha-"

Griffith was suddenly interrupted by a violent coughing fit, and it didn't take long for it to become noticeable that the sand underneath his feet was turning red. He looked at his hand, blood dripping down from it, then collapsed. Havoc quickly came to the normally quiet beachside territory outside Luca Stadium - both teams rushed to the scene alongside their owners, and accusations were wildly slung from both sides. The referees that were still there tried their hardest to keep the teams from breaking into a massive brawl, as JR Leap and The Big Tebowski managed to drag the lifeless Griffith out of the scuffle and to the medical facility that every team in the Super-League or Sub-Par League is legally required to have on hand.

It didn't take long for the two owners to return, and after finally calming the two sides down to an acceptable volume, The Big Tebowski began to speak. "Now, I know what you're all thinking, but I want to say that the situation is not what it seems. Even though it might look bad, it's not wha-" "Oh, shut up!" JR Leap interrupted. "Quit trying to save your own rear end and just admit that there's a murderer on your team!" The continuing arguments suddenly all shut down, and silence filled the area as all eyes were fixed on the two owners, JR Leap staring daggers straight into The Big Tebowski as he tries and fails to sink into the floor. "Yes, she's right," he eventually admitted. "The doctors have confirmed that Clark Griffith was poisoned, and he was poisoned with the intent to kill, though they have managed to at least avert that scenario." The silence resumed as everybody slowly came to terms with what they had just heard.

"So admit it! There's a killer on your team!" JR Leap accused. "Now hold on just one drat minute!" Mickey Mantle stormed into the middle of the crowd that had formed around the two owners. "Who's to say it was one of our players who did it? Maybe it was one of yours! Maybe it was YOU, and you're just trying to cover your rear end!" "Wait, let's not jump to conclu-" The Big Tebowski tried to mediate, but was immediately shot down by JR Leap, who got right in Mantle's face and fired right back, "I can see what Armitage was saying about you is true. Just use your thick skull for once, you dullard! If I, or any one of my team for that matter, was to poison one of your players to kill, why the gently caress would I take out your god drat long relief man? I'd have gone for Barry Bonds, or maybe you, since I didn't know how stupid you were yet!"

Mantle, taken aback by the fire that has been lit inside JR Leap, who had normally been a lot more reserved and less aggressive, backed off. After another short pause, Todd Helton broke the silence. "Maybe we should try and analyze this situation a bit more. Tebowski, did the doctors have an idea just how Griffith was poisoned? Maybe he wasn't the original target?" "It has been determined that Griffith was poisoned from the water supplies we keep down in the bullpen," Tebowski replied. "While that may make it sound like anybody could have gotten hit with the poison, you should know that every player on our team has their own personal water supply, so Griffith was definitely the target for this poisoning. Furthermore, we know from witness accounts that Griffith only drank from the water during the fifth inning, so the water must have been poisoned then, but not before the game started, as the stadium staff did a screening of the water." From the back, Ernie Banks spoke up. "Wait, every player gets their own water supply? Why the hell would you do something so needlessly complex?" "It was supposed to make every player feel like an unique part of the team," Tebowski explained. Banks remained skeptical. "What, so you want every player to feel like a special snowflake? What kind of new-age crap is tha-" "Just shut the gently caress up, alright? We don't have time for this crap." Ted Williams, known for consistently being stuck with teams he'd never willingly play for, was growing increasingly tense.

"We've established that Griffith was the intended target for this murder attempt. Furthermore, I think we can all agree that the killer must come from the Aurochs - Griffith's post-game interview combined with him being a low-value player to our side means that none of us had any real reason to go after him. The next problem is either finding the motive, or finding the opportunity," Helton resumed. "We should probably take another look at the season stats and this game in particular, and the answer might become clear." As the referees brought out their scoresheets and the owners their season stats, everybody huddled around them, awaiting the revelations that would come from them.

The owners were the first to present their reasonings, but the results weren't great. The prime suspect would probably have to come from the Aurochs' rotation, since Griffith would have replaced one of them, if anybody. However, the worst performing pitcher on the Aurochs, Bob Gibson, had an alibi - he was pitching during half of the innings from the first to the fifth, and Tebowski stated that as a measure to prevent negative interference, the current pitcher is not allowed entry to the bullpen during the team's offensive innings. The referees had similarly discouraging results - while there were some interesting things happening during the game, like Jackie Robinson making two errors, and Bob Gibson giving up five home runs, but nothing that would point towards reasonable suspicion for a potential suspect.

With these weak results, discussions flared up violently, and accusations were flying all over the place. "Maybe one of the ballboys had a grudge against Griffith..." "...the interviewer wanted a newsworthy story, so he coordinated a live murder..." "...Griffith couldn't bear the pressure, so he wanted to kill himself?" "As Ombudsman of the Super-League, I would like to offer a trade for Barry Bonds..." "...somebody set up a dead pool and wanted to win big?" "...a serial killer targeting only long relievers?"

"EVERYBODY, SHUT UP!"

JR Leap's voice boomed across the beachside, and all eyes focused on her. She continued: "I know who did it, and I can exactly explain how it happened and why it happened." "You... what?" Pete Alexander was stunned. "But there's not nearly enough evidence, pretty much anybody could hav-" "Oh no, that's not the case, my dear, and you should know that." Suddenly, Alexander found himself in the middle of the crowd, surrounded by judging eyes, as JR Leap continued her explanation. "After all, it was YOU who did it!"

"Wh- I- Bu- ...WHAT?" Alexander was speechless, trying to compose himself after the accusation that has been flung at him, and as the crowd gathered tighter around him, JR Leap continued her assault. "It's as clear as day! I know you deadballer types, I know what makes you tick, and I know how your mind works! I was formed by the deadball, molded by it! I AM the deadball! And because of that, I know that being on this team has been driving you absolutely insane! On the Fat Hippos, you were a celebrated hero, the one people could depend on, the rock that made the team survive as long as it did! Not to mention, that team had some actual talent, some actual potential! Here, you're in the same rotation as Bob loving Tewksbury? Come on, I know that was driving you nuts - the great Pete Alexander, one of the few legitimate aces of the Super-League, on the same rotation as a pitcher with a 104 career ERA+ that had never even sniffed the air of the Super-League? An embarrassment!"

Alexander, still stunned by the situation, was bombarded from all sides by questions and accusations from his teammates. "Did you really think that?" "How could you! We trusted you!" "Should we make an example out of him?" All the while, JR Leap piled on the pressure. "It was clear to you, this team had to die - you would easily find new employment, probably with a good Super-League team that scammed a new owner out of their #2 Dispersal Draft pick, not this group of rag-tag idiots that couldn't win survival if their life depended on it! And you had just the plan to make it happen - you obviously knew of the unique water supply rules this team has, and as the star pitcher of the team, it would be easy to have some waterboy just sneak a little something extra in somebody's water... but going big right away would be too obvious, too suspicious. Better to try it on some unsuspecting mid-level bullpen player... what about that Clark Griffith guy? Nobody's going to miss him, right? It would just be written off as just another tragic accident, being rather common in the Sub-Par League. But you didn't count on the Deadball Whisperer herself seeing right through your plan!"

The Aurochs were closing in more and more around Alexander, who was still too overwhelmed to even offer up any sort of resistance. "You disgusting egotist!" "How full of yourself to you have to be to think of something like that?" "Is this all just a game to you?" "Maybe we should give you a taste of your own medicine!" Alexander was no longer willing to accept this situation as reality. It had to be a nightmare. He was going to wake up any moment now. But while this was a nightmare, it wasn't one he was going to wake up from. JR Leap had completely taken control of the situation, and she was reveling in every moment of it. "So you put your plan into action," she continued, "and started making preparations. A quick trip to the local Besaid medical center, a disarming smile and a bit of that star pitcher charm, and you found yourself in the possession of some hydrochloric acid. Just throw in some line about doing some home-made leatherworking or the like, nobody will question it. From there, things were a cinch to work out. You'd offer the waterboy an autographed ball, and send him to the back to fetch one for you to sign sometime during the second inning. Everybody else was too busy screaming at Bob Gibson giving up home runs to people like Reggie Jackson, so you just slipped some of that acid into Griffith's water, and the rest was history. You thought it was the perfect crime, didn't you? You thought you'd get away with it! You thought you'd be on your way to the Super-League in no time, while leaving the rest of the team to die! Admit it! ADMIT IT!"

JR Leap had whipped the entire Aurochs team into a frenzy, and everybody joined in in screaming at Alexander, who had been reduced to what just as well could have been a corpse, lying in the fetal position in the Besaid sand as insults, accusations and curses rained down on him. And then, he finally cracked.

"ALRIGHT, I loving ADMIT IT! I WANTED TO KILL THAT WORTHLESS gently caress AND THIS ENTIRE GOD drat TEAM!" He proceeded to launch into a long story about all the other Pete Alexanders in the Super-League - his agesake on the Eazy W's, the one on the Oranges, the one on the Symphony, even the two on the Aleworkers. All of them were more respected than him, "The One That Never Made It". The one stuck on teams with no promise, the one that was destined to be stuck in the Sub-Par League, being picked by the worst teams coming out of the EC season in, season out. By the end of it, he was in tears, asking if his team was happy now that they know how he really felt. "So, what now? Are you going to maybe tear one of my arms off and force me to pitch regardless? Maybe break my legs?"

The answer from Tebowski was succinct. "Are you nuts? You're still the best pitcher on this team, we can't afford to lose you. We're going to be keeping a very close eye on you, and you're on a very short leash, but we can't just take you out of our plans just because you tried to kill some reliever." In the end, there was an atmosphere of immense unease - the Aurochs will never be quite the same again, and time will tell whether they can get past this disaster or they continue to falter. Eventually, the two teams dispersed, each player to their own destination.

A few hours later, at the same beachside, now deserted, two people meet. "So, this is now your plan?" "Well, it worked, didn't it? There's no way this team is still working together as a cohesive unit now that they know there's a murderer amongst them. Pfft. Know. Yeah, right." "Why did they buy it?" "Because they thought it made sense. Give a crowd a vaguely sensible target and beat on it long enough, and they'll eventually start believing it themselves. From then on, it's simply a matter of working the target over until they'd rather give in than fight for the truth."

Pander shook his head. "Remind me not to piss you off."

JR Leap laughed. "As long as we're not in the same division, you're fine." She then pulled out a small bottle marked "Hydrochloric Acid" out of her pocket and tossed it into the ocean.

"One down, two to go."

GAME NOTES

- Yeah, Bob Gibson gave up five home runs. That's not a good thing. I'm running five Schillings, a pitcher that has a problem with giving up home runs, and even I'd be starting to worry.

- Batters are starting to hit over .200 for the Direwolves! Progress!

- Did you know that when it's late at night and I've had too much caffeine, I like to write a whole lot, usually more than I really should and also usually in an overdramatic fashion? Well, now you know!

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

Analysis

Analysis

Analysis

Analysis

Analysis

Analysis

Analysis

Analysis

Analysis

Analysis

Analysis

Analysis

Analysis

Analysis

Analysis

Standings

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 5, 2015

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Grand Slam Championships

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

ted "monkey cheese" williams

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Oranges

Dragons

Grand Slam Championships
Pirates

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Two questions:

1. Can we get these things for Super-League teams too?
2. Is team chemistry actually a factor in the sim engine? Because I'm worried my Heinie Manush is also missing his Harry Heilmann.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

I feel like my bullpen barely gets used so can we make these slider changes please:

Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -3
Letting pitchers pitch through trouble: +1
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: +1

Otherwise everything looks great on offence, and the pitching staff should normalize soon. Thank you, McFreeze!

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Milt Thompson posted:

Two questions:

1. Can we get these things for Super-League teams too?
2. Is team chemistry actually a factor in the sim engine? Because I'm worried my Heinie Manush is also missing his Harry Heilmann.

iirc player morale means jack poo poo except in regards to how much the player is going to demand in contract negotiations, which isn't a thing in the super league

The Big Tebowski
Jan 24, 2015

Dorchester Phantoms (c)

Akabira Confessors

Grand Slam Championships
Somali Pirates (c)

The Big Tebowski
Jan 24, 2015

Ice To Meet You posted:

JR Leap's voice boomed across the beachside, and all eyes focused on her. She continued: "I know who did it, and I can exactly explain how it happened and why it happened." "You... what?" Pete Alexander was stunned. "But there's not nearly enough evidence, pretty much anybody could hav-" "Oh no, that's not the case, my dear, and you should know that." Suddenly, Alexander found himself in the middle of the crowd, surrounded by judging eyes, as JR Leap continued her explanation. "After all, it was YOU who did it!"

Dude, everything about this recap is amazing. Besaid has a veritable murder mystery on its hands!

You've made it clear that I need to send Clark Griffith into Witness Protection (aka, the minors), and replace him with Michael Wakka who will be the new long reliever. One can only hope that the true villain, JR Leap, doesn't take a shot at him too...

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Pick'em

Champs retain.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Well DannoMack you heard the game. I have a Bill Skowron!

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

I'd like to know the story of how Rickey and Bill met and fell in love personally.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

:snoop:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alas, it looks like my Grantham isn't going to be viable, whether because he's George Grantham or because he's "bugged" via the Aleworkers.

Either way, demote Grantham and promote O'Neill. Tip takes over Grantham's spot in all lineups.

Pick 'Em: Champs Retain

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
PICK THEM:

Champions retain.

MOOGLIES:

* Swap Edgar Martinez and Ernie Lombardi in both batting orders.

* Send Mike Timlin to the minors; replace him on the roster and in the Setup role with Dwight Gooden.

JOSE IGLESIAS:

Can gently caress right off.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

: Oh hell yeah son it's time for the Stone Cold Goose Goslin Podcast! I'm drinkin' a little beer and about to raise a whole lotta hell right here on the show tonight. I'd like to talk a little about the most recent Sub-Par league update. I can't believe ol' Stone Cold was traded to a team in the Sub-Par League, but them's the breaks I guess. Let me show y'all Exhibit A.

: Ya drat right the bottom line is all that matters to Stone Cold Goose Goslin, and the bottom line is that I'm kickin' a lot of rear end and the Jersey City Jobbers are somehow in first place, despite a couple of our main eventers workin' like they're jerkin' the curtain'. George Brett? C'mon son. Ya got one of the best drat workrates around, kid. Ya gotta be snug with the grip on yer bat, or else yer gonna hit like that no good sumbitch Mickey Mantle. Hell, look at Sam Thompson. The kid's a star and proved it in the Expansion Cup but struggled a little in the Super-League. Now he put up a good week and is lookin' like a star again. Hell, he's hittin' .316, and that's a mighty fine number. The rate Gary Sheffield's goin', he's on a one way ticket to developmental. Now if ya excuse me, my boss Armitage wanted me to make a few roster changes to keep the flow of the show goin'. We had a great week but we can't be sleepin' on it. Ya never know, the Murphs and the Witches can wake up any minute now and make us the JOB Squad. Here are the changes he ordered me to make. It's just a rotation change.

SP1: Joe Williams
SP2: Hilton Smith

Now, both them guys are strugglin' early on, and Hilton Smith got a boo boo in his last start. The switch in the rotation allows Smith to start game 3 of the Murphs series instead of missin' a start. Will that be the right move to make? They need a fire lit in 'em. They're lackin' that fire in their bellies right now that made them superstars in the Super League promotion. If they don't get it together soon, ol' Stone Cold will have to deliver a couple of Stunners until they improve! Now, accordin' to my watch, we're runnin' out of time on my podcast, so I'd like to thank my sponsors, DC Comics. If they didn't make some bizarre crap in the 70s and 80s, the main cat himself SmasherDynamo wouldn't need to write some entertainin' filler to keep him sane. Anyway, let's wrap this crap up and say that if you think Goose Goslin's gonna continue to whip some rear end in the Monster's Ball Division, give me a hell yeah!

Everyone, even the lurkers in Let's Play that read this thread but don't sign up for a team. Yeah, I see you: HELL YEAH!

: And that's the bottom line, cuz Stone Cold said so!

Armitage fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Notes from Headmaster Monokuma's Desk:

: Attention, students! This is an important announcement from Headmaster Monokuma!

- Let it be known that I'm not one to not give credit where credit is due, and as such, I would like to congratulate the entire team on their sweep of division rivals, the Mounties! A celebratory banquet will be held at the gymnasium, and everybody currently attending the academy is invited! Have fun, and try not to get stabbed with a shish kebab!

- The Monokuma Award For Excellence In Form Of A Plushie Of The Week is awarded to Curt Schilling VI, the ace of the team's rotation. Keep up the good work, and you'll live to see another season!

- It is also noted that hitting has improved all-around, and a lot of the players reprimanded last week have stepped up their game! Good job, everyone! However, the same can not be said for Stan Musial, who continues to disappoint. I don't want to have to take this old horse out to the factory and make glue out of it, but I'm still willing to do it, so step it up! Furthermore, Curt Schillings II and III are once again reprimanded for their sub-par performances. You're running out of time...

- In school news, the entire German faculty has been found dead after a lesson on Die Welle got drastically out of hand. As such, the German department has been taken over by the students, who have formed a fascist paramilitary group and now call themselves The Deluge of Despair. If any of you expect me to do something about that, you're sorely mistaken, as the school rules say absolutely nothing about forming fascist paramilitary groups and taking over faculties. Plus, I like their name. It's punchy.

- However, since we are now low on German teachers, I would like to announce that the day-to-day manager of our baseball team has now been recruited as a teacher! Please ignore how he seems to insist on calling the Hope's Peak Despair the Grass Valley Wizards, he's a bit confused right now.

That will be all - see you next week, and play ball!