Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

The North Tower posted:

This thread really makes me miss my grandpa. He knew how to do poo poo. And if he didn’t he would tell you how to do it the next time you saw him, having done it 5 times since you asked in order to be able to teach you a simple task. I guess being OG Antifa ended up building a decent generation, forgiving the alcoholism, misogyny and racism...oh wait, they passed that part on.

If those Greatest Gens had passed on some of their good qualities to Boomers, we could excuse a lot of the bad ones.

I tolerated a lot of bad behavior from my Grandfather because the fucker shot Nazi's from a bomber and knew how to put together a carburetor. He made me one of those rubber band guns in his workshop. That goes a long way towards forgiving a racist world view and drinking a case of beer every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Schmoo
Dec 10, 2002

Boomers love talking about what Mischief Night was like when they were kids. "We'd throw rocks through windows, toss M80's at people walking down the street", that sort of thing.

Coincidentally, my state lost a lot of colonial era buildings in the 60's-70's from teenagers burning them down.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most of those buildings are firetraps anyway, especially when they had electrical wiring retrofitted. Every Australian town have stories of when the original town hotel burned down.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bonzo posted:

Alex just sits there and I'd love to have some of that hash he was doing back then.

No you don't, didn't you see that twitter post that was the High Times top strains of 1978? It was all garbage

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mr_Schmoo posted:

Boomers love talking about what Mischief Night was like when they were kids. "We'd throw rocks through windows, toss M80's at people walking down the street", that sort of thing.

Coincidentally, my state lost a lot of colonial era buildings in the 60's-70's from teenagers burning them down.

Go figure, gulping down leaded air and drinking from the water hose makes you violent.

My mom would talk about the terrible things my uncles did to neighborhood animals like it was just kids being kids. I once rode my bike over a bunch of grasshoppers swarming the street and the sound still haunts me. My uncles tortured cats and sleep with a clean conscience. They also 100% vote Trump soooo...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

My uncles tortured cats and sleep with a clean conscience.

Have you ever noticed that boomers really hate cats?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Iron Crowned posted:

loving blasphemy! kill the boomers!

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, what the hell is up with that? Is it because they associate cats with "femininity" and therefore they are weak and useless or what

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
With regards to boomers sticking to jobs they hate, I don't necessarily think it's the case. Boomers like to complain, especially 'first world problems' type complaints. But Boomers are happy enough with the pay, job security, and seniority they get with their job much of the time. This was the case with my mom, who had a steady job for 40 years, that paid comparable to other STEMlords except she only had to work 25hrs a week. So when she would gripe about the commute or her coworkers it obviously wasn't bad enough to consider going elsewhere.

I know a lot of goons think the idea of working the same job for 30+ years to be some horrifying fate but in our capitalist hell world its one of the few ways people can even be in a position to buy a home and support a family. Given how rare a steady full time job with decent pay/benefits is in the 21st century, I find that makes them that much more valuable.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HOT BREAD! posted:

Yeah, what the hell is up with that? Is it because they associate cats with "femininity" and therefore they are weak and useless or what

My best guess is that you can't boss cats around the way you can boss a dog around. Why they find violence towards cats hilarious is beyond me though.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Do posters from other countries dislike baby boomers or just old people?

Americans born within a decade of 1955 got a free house and big empty freeways and luxury schools and free college. They then said, "GREED IS GOOD LOL" and imposed a housing shortage and neoliberalism on their children so that they could get... what, a redwood hot tub? A Saab? Martha Stewart-branded home goods? Rick Steves tours? A "rustic" cabin in an urban area that they can sell for ten times what they paid for it?

Did other countries experience this kind of generational inequity?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Michael Hobbes, of the awesome "You're Wrong About" podcast, did an investigation into what's wrong with Boomers.

https://twitter.com/RichardKimNYC/status/1321819029904986113

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Greg12 posted:

Do posters from other countries dislike baby boomers or just old people?

Americans born within a decade of 1955 got a free house and big empty freeways and luxury schools and free college. They then said, "GREED IS GOOD LOL" and imposed a housing shortage and neoliberalism on their children so that they could get... what, a redwood hot tub? A Saab? Martha Stewart-branded home goods? Rick Steves tours? A "rustic" cabin in an urban area that they can sell for ten times what they paid for it?

Did other countries experience this kind of generational inequity?

The Boomer generation is specific to countries that a) fought in WII, and b) had a period of relative peace and prosperity afterwards. Like, there are no Boomers in China, because people of that age cohort were primarily defined by their experience of the Cultural Revolution.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The North Tower posted:

We both had a professor in college who hosed us all up by making us do a 2 pager, since there isn’t room for fluff and SAT essay-level ‘furthermore...’. But agreed. Get the point across and you’re good IMO, but a 5 page and a 1 page (or to be more extreme, a 30 page senior thesis vs a 5 page summary) are different types of papers, so it matters to some extent. The good teachers would accept an excellent 4/5 page vs a padded 5/5 with 2 pages of content as a better work and give you a good grade. My 8th grade social studies teacher sucked rear end and we all learned to bullshit, which is also a skill, but she was a terrible teacher at the end of the day.

learning how to pad papers with bullshit taught me more about surviving the corporate world than almost anything else i learned in school

(it also arguably caused me to realize how bullshit-ridden the corporate world was and to leave it after not very long)

Kenning posted:

The Boomer generation is specific to countries that a) fought in WII, and b) had a period of relative peace and prosperity afterwards. Like, there are no Boomers in China, because people of that age cohort were primarily defined by their experience of the Cultural Revolution.

I grew up in a neighborhood of mostly people who moved to the US from Taiwan, and had previously moved to Taiwan from the mainland due to the Cultural Revolution. Most of these people were my parents' age and had American-born kids who were my age. and many of the parents in that neighborhood had some hardcore boomer values

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 30, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I have to write endless grant applications with word and character limits on every question. In 2500 characters describe your multiphase project in detail. Just entry after entry of slightly different questions with tiny character limits.

And at the end: you must also submit a 6 page proposal. This can have background info, maps, photos and citations. 10 point font. Don't repeat anything from the application form. Also gently caress you.

It's 100% the product of a committee of the damned and feel as sorry for the reviewers who have to trawl through this crap as I do for myself for having to create it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Boomers think that high school is the best moment(s) in your life.

The Facebook UI redesign has got to be for older folks. Its a sea of emojis, like and share buttons. No wonder so much dis info if out there.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I always have to wonder what kind of sad meaningless adulthood you’re living if high school was the best time of your life.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

e.pilot posted:

I always have to wonder what kind of sad meaningless adulthood you’re living if high school was the best time of your life.

I can make sense of it if they are equating "fun/carefree" with "best".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AFewBricksShy posted:

That's about where it would end for me, I would love to somehow go back to a time where my biggest responsibility was how to trick my parents into thinking I had done my homework.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Minimum page lengths are generally bullshit as a concept, though. I can't count how many times I had to intentionally write worse just in order to pad things to get to the required length.

If I can cover all the necessary material, and get my point across effectively, in 5 pages then why the gently caress do I have to write 6?

I recall a high school teacher once told us that we only needed to write a book report as long as it needed to be to make our argument. One kid (one of those smart but lazy kids) called her bluff by reading Dracula and his report on it was under one page long and the teacher gave him an A and talked to the class about brevity and economy of argument.

I wish for the life of me I'd not been so completely checked out in high school cause I never asked to see what he wrote.

Then again I had a teacher take me out of a final to shake my hand based on the essay I'd turned in for *his* classes' final, two hours back. He was a young guy who was dropped in to substitute for a priest who'd gotten cancer and his top-of-the-dome Religion Class lesson plan was to play us Fleetwood Mac's Rumors over and over for weeks, fill in a bunch of 17 year olds on the hottest goss of 25 years previous, then explain how that drama informed the songs, and enhanced the listener's experience if they understood the context. This, he said, was akin to knowing the history and sociology and politics of Bible Times Judea informing ones understanding of Jesus's teachings.

Literally all I did was repeat that back, essentially verbatim. Lowest effort response to the lowest effort class I ever took. High school kids must be the absolute worst to teach if that's all it takes.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

PipHelix posted:

Literally all I did was repeat that back, essentially verbatim. Lowest effort response to the lowest effort class I ever took. High school kids must be the absolute worst to teach if that's all it takes.

No one is immune to being told what they want to hear.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

AFewBricksShy posted:

My life was actually more carefree after I graduated high school, moved out, and didn’t have to help my parents make rent or buy food anymore.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I had more friends in HS. I didn't maintain any of them, or no one thought it was worth reaching out. I didn't text or use Facebook.

Regardless, I don't really have any friends at all, and my wife doesn't count. She doesn't have any friends either. We don't seem to know how, or the other parties aren't interested.

I was good at school, I was president of 2 different honor societies, I was an influential member of the newspaper, yearbook, and literary magazine. I don't even write anymore.

I love my wife more than life itself, but I kind of do think HS was the best time of my life.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I think looking back, high school and/or college was the best time we think of because we only want to think of the good poo poo and forget how miserable we also were. I for one wouldn't mind a time travel experiment to go back and tell my past self not to do A and B and C, and get a loving plumbing degree and make a ton of money instead of wanting to become a marine biologist in the loving desert.

But my high school was pre 9/11 so having to live through all that poo poo again would be insane.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I remember my junior/high school misery very vividly. I would not go back to that except to do it over again with my present knowledge, exercise a lot more, and buy as many copies of EarthBound and Little Samson as I could find

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i got high and did a lot of sex in hs so it was a p good time for me

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

dee eight posted:

i got high and did a lot of sex in hs so it was a p good time for me
This but without the good times for me.

I'd kill to go back knowing what I know now so I could avoid a lot of mistakes, but then I think about how I wouldn't know any of the excellent people I do today and would be surrounded by the same abusive Boomers, sandpaper Gen-Xers, and venomous Millennials and realize it'd still be fighting uphill just to break even. Sure some easy investment money would help, but then you're in that weird time travel conundrum where you want to find the people you love, but you've changed the timeline so they're no longer the same people, and you probably can't bond with them the way you did before, so you're just double-lonely.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Boomers only barely, begrudgingly acknowledge the most obvious physical disabilities at all. They absolutely froth at the idea of calling someone out for faking it, because in their mind everyone is only faking being different specifically to slight them.

I'm on disability because of mental illness and I don't even like telling people because of the heap of poo poo you get about it. But of course the stigma and bullshit comments are mainly from boomers. Because everyone is just dying to get a poverty wage and live with their mother as an adult!

Bonzo posted:

Boomers think that high school is the best moment(s) in your life.

The Facebook UI redesign has got to be for older folks. Its a sea of emojis, like and share buttons. No wonder so much dis info if out there.

I remember hearing that a lot when I was in high school and being like "Wow your life must be absolute poo poo.". I didn't bother going to the prom or any poo poo like that and I had people telling me how much I'd regret it and blah, blah blah. Imagine being over the age of 18 and giving a poo poo or even thinking about a prom.

The Facebook redesign has large print.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I want the money of my 30s with the responsibility and ability to recover of my 20s. gently caress going back to high school.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Yeah gently caress all that noise. The best time of my life was my late twenties, post-divorce, living in a 200 sq ft. apartment over a bar and making 1000-2000$ a month at two lovely food service jobs, and all it took was spending most of that money on alcohol and drugs and sharing them with as many good looking and kindly people as I could find. Like, do you guys not know about rock bottom?

Hell, I just defended my PhD and though I am now 36 I feel like the best is yet to come, and I'm still loving broke!

But that's the thing - I have never defined the status of my life and felt well-being based on a societal narrative of what my life should be, or where I should be in it. I feel like most of the looking back and feeling nostalgic is secretly a fetishism for the order and control that came with "high school" and so on. I mean, poo poo, what about high school was carefree if you didn't want to be in your state-mandated concrete box with your zip-code mandated cohort?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably makes sense that boomers enjoyed high school when they weren't being taught by boomers.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
hahaha, really funny boomer quotes y'all, where do you come up with crazy stuff like this.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The idea that high school was the peak of a Boomer's life was being mocked by Boomers as early as Married with Children.

At least for myself, I don't think I've ever heard anyone speak in positive terms about high school, Boomer or otherwise.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

hahaha, really funny boomer quotes y'all, where do you come up with crazy stuff like this.

Weren't you employed* as a comedy writer on this very site, why don't you supply something?

*in theory

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
At least for me, prior to senior year, high school was drudge but there was still hope once I was done with it, I'd be ready for the real world and college and making great money in a job I loved.

..........hahahahahahaha.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Heath posted:

Weren't you employed* as a comedy writer on this very site, why don't you supply something?

*in theory

He was employed as a contractor, he just wasn't paid IIRC. I'm sure it was because of Low T's spine though, nothing nefarious.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
love the needless aggression to my lighthearted joke. ten thousand apologies for disrupting everyone's Reminiscing Hour. tell us more about the glory days of 1997.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i went to marginally plutocratic high school that was vaguely public and everyone chilled the gently caress out after undergrad if they just did undergrad, or grad school if grad school. the md/phd kids (plural) lives still suck tho. all my high school friends are way better peeps a decade out from high school

in conclusion: school sucks

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

love the needless aggression to my lighthearted joke. ten thousand apologies for disrupting everyone's Reminiscing Hour. tell us more about the glory days of 1997.

Ok! I was 8 and my boomer teacher told me she couldn't bother to teach me division. I had an undiagnosed math disability, and tried my best, but never got better. I learned the lesson that people in authority will not help you, nor look upon you kindly should you do poorly, which is true enough, I guess.

I learned early these people do not care, and do not want to be bothered.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Fasdar posted:

Yeah gently caress all that noise. The best time of my life was my late twenties, post-divorce, living in a 200 sq ft. apartment over a bar and making 1000-2000$ a month at two lovely food service jobs, and all it took was spending most of that money on alcohol and drugs and sharing them with as many good looking and kindly people as I could find. Like, do you guys not know about rock bottom?

Hell, I just defended my PhD and though I am now 36 I feel like the best is yet to come, and I'm still loving broke!

But that's the thing - I have never defined the status of my life and felt well-being based on a societal narrative of what my life should be, or where I should be in it. I feel like most of the looking back and feeling nostalgic is secretly a fetishism for the order and control that came with "high school" and so on. I mean, poo poo, what about high school was carefree if you didn't want to be in your state-mandated concrete box with your zip-code mandated cohort?

I'm not talking about people who've found themselves in such dire circumstances. Just white bread boomers who've had few struggles and lived sterile white bread lives and talk about how "Music now is so bad everything today is [artist or band who hasn't been relevant in at least five years] but when I was growing up we had [insert classic rock group that usually sucks]!". I certainly didn't mean to minimize the experiences of people who've found themselves in situations like yours and I apologize if it came off that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I might just assume they spent most of high school drunk.