Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

It's mainly the lack of coverage/refusal to expand in the region at all. T-Mo actually refused to allow the port-in of the 402 area code number I was assigned by Net10 and I had to have a 660 number (I guess it was something nearby but also within the KC market) assigned. It wasn't a big loss because I hadn't ported in my Sprint number but yeah they won't even let you port your number over if you're from the area. I have family with T-Mobile and N4s and can attest they most certainly do not suck when there's coverage :colbert: but unless you live in a CITY and not just a City or city you're SOL.

It's possible they don't have spectrum rights there. Apparently the carriers had to fight and scrap for spectrum in every state/area of each state. It happened mostly during the Cingular telecom-acquisition phase many years ago. TMo legitimately might not have spectrum rights for that area.

If they didn't have spectrum they might sort of work from surrounding areas (even though they shouldn't) and that would explain why thy don't sell product there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon Tiger
Nov 4, 2008

Stick100 posted:

If they didn't have spectrum they might sort of work from surrounding areas (even though they shouldn't) and that would explain why thy don't sell product there.

Iowa is weird anyway when it comes to T-Mobile, nominally TM only has the Des Monies metro area as a home coverage zone. I-wireless controls the rest of the state, I-wireless is also an affiliate company of T-Mobile but still their own separate deal.

It breaks down like this in my experience, the two companies can roam off each other due to the fact they use the exact same hardware and signals from 2G all the way up. When I had T-Mobile Des Monies metro was the home area with max speeds rest of Iowa phone and 2G data. I-Wireless full data and voice in the home area and full speed with roaming in Des Monies.

Oddly enough something changed in the last two months or so and I-Wireless stores are now in the Des Monies metro when before I didn't see any now I've noticed about 5, this was due to who claimed what area. To my knowledge I-Wireless didn't get any new towers and T-Mobile still controls the ones we have. Likely it was a change in contract language.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Carbon Tiger posted:

Iowa is weird anyway when it comes to T-Mobile, nominally TM only has the Des Monies metro area as a home coverage zone. I-wireless controls the rest of the state, I-wireless is also an affiliate company of T-Mobile but still their own separate deal.

It breaks down like this in my experience, the two companies can roam off each other due to the fact they use the exact same hardware and signals from 2G all the way up. When I had T-Mobile Des Monies metro was the home area with max speeds rest of Iowa phone and 2G data. I-Wireless full data and voice in the home area and full speed with roaming in Des Monies.

Oddly enough something changed in the last two months or so and I-Wireless stores are now in the Des Monies metro when before I didn't see any now I've noticed about 5, this was due to who claimed what area. To my knowledge I-Wireless didn't get any new towers and T-Mobile still controls the ones we have. Likely it was a change in contract language.

T-Mobile pretty much doesn't care about Iowa. Case in point, Vinton, IA. I was visiting a friend there last week and there was a tornado back in 2008. It destroyed the only T-Mobile tower they had.

T-Mo claimed they would put one up...and they still haven't. Until they did, they also claimed that you'd at LEAST get 2G...I didn't get a signal at all when I was there.

The Entire Universe posted:

It's mainly the lack of coverage/refusal to expand in the region at all. T-Mo actually refused to allow the port-in of the 402 area code number I was assigned by Net10 and I had to have a 660 number (I guess it was something nearby but also within the KC market) assigned. It wasn't a big loss because I hadn't ported in my Sprint number but yeah they won't even let you port your number over if you're from the area. I have family with T-Mobile and N4s and can attest they most certainly do not suck when there's coverage :colbert: but unless you live in a CITY and not just a City or city you're SOL.

I wish I got coverage where I was. I was kind of excited. hah

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FCC website appears to list the Douglas/Sarpy/Pottawatamie counties under a market area in which T-Mo acquired 20 (maybe 10, can't remember) MHz from ATT. It was in the 1700/2100 AWS band. There was some activity on it in May/June but I think it was just some docs. It's listed as consummated which means we get hosed it's completed. I will have to try and get a link. I sort of want to ask specifically about plans to build out the area or if they're just going to hold the allocation in a speculative manner.

E: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseMarketSum.jsp?licKey=3375989

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 25, 2013

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Long Francesco posted:

Yeah you need to get a new sim, and if I remember correctly they won't port your number from prepaid to prepaid, so unless something has changed you need to port your number out somewhere else and then back to your new account.
I honestly don't know if this works or not but I got an idea. Try transferring your number to Google Voice.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
GV porting pays off once again. I use my GV number for Craigslist, etc. Ported my AT&T to GV months ago. Love the flexibility and freedom.

So I dialed a number today, trying to reach a friend. Was off by one digit. Ghetto dude answered. I said "sorry, must have a wrong number." He exclaimled :WHO THE FUK YOU TRYIN TO REACH?"

He was instantly hostile for some reason. I hung up.

Proceeded to get 5 call backs, two creepy breathing voicemails and many texts ("why you callin me?" "who the gently caress are you?", etc).

Took the liberty of "blocking" him on GV. Done in seconds. Bye, shady guy. This is what he hears from now on, forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCiF4abBryA

:smuggo:

(port your number, especially if you use prepaid, to GV. It's the best ever)

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 26, 2013

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I need a TMo micro-sim that I can use to activate for the $30/month 100minutes/5gig plan. I can't seem to find them on the TMobile website anymore though - is there another source, or can I still get them at Wal-Mart, or?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

IuniusBrutus posted:

I need a TMo micro-sim that I can use to activate for the $30/month 100minutes/5gig plan. I can't seem to find them on the TMobile website anymore though - is there another source, or can I still get them at Wal-Mart, or?

It's right here. If you use the code SIMSALE (slickdeals) it's .99

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Has anyone tried porting from T-Mobile to MetroPCS, in markets where Metro is essentially a T-Mo MVNO now?

Switching to Metro will save me about :10bux: a month, and in my market (Dallas/Ft. Worth), you can bring your own unlocked GSM or T-Mobile branded phone. But since they're now a MVNO operating on T-Mobile in my market (and no longer activating new CDMA accounts), I wasn't sure if I'd run into any issues porting.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I posted earlier about switching from TMo to Straight Talk... so, I waited for the end of my TMo billing month, tried to port my number to ST and their site hosed up at the very end and the activation wouldn't complete. I had to try to activate my phone 3 or 4 times before their site finally worked, and the one time it did I must have just ticked "activate" instead of transfer number or whatever on the first page. Now my phone's finally activated, with a new number :suicide:

ST support can't/won't port my number over now that the SIM has already been activated, but they seem amenable to sending me a replacement. I'm just wondering what happens in the meantime, given that my TMo account is due for renewal in a day or two and I've already paid ST for the SIM and first month of service and would rather not waste like $100+ on an extra month of ST, extra month of TMo etc. Will TMo let me port my number out if my account's been inactive for a day or two? I assume I could just switch to a pay by the day plan for a day or two to get my number ported out if I need, just thought of that. And has anyone tried to effectively switch plans from one phone to another on ST (since I'll have two ST SIMs and already have service I don't need/want on the first one) or are they going to gouge me for an extra month? Thanks!

edit: never mind, on phone with ST now, much more helpful than expected :) they still won't reuse the same SIM but deactivated it for me, made a note that I'd already paid for a month of service, etc. luckily I can just pay TMo by the day for a few days until it gets here.

Straker fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 28, 2013

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So I get poo poo service at my new place (t-mobile). While I decide on what to do about it (switch back to VM (buying a new phone, getting poo poo service at my parents), port to Google Voice (no mms), go post paid ($$$)), I was going to set up a temporary Google Voice number and use it on wifi. What's the Android app that I need to do this? Grooveshark?

To be clear, I'll be keeping my current mobile number and using a new, second Google Voice number as a backup. I want to receive calls and texts from both, with the Google Voice number working over wifi and/or data (when away from home).

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
What phone do you have? If it's a tmo branded phone with the stock rom most of them have wifi calling built in. For google voice you're thinking of Grooveip, I don't know how good it is but there are a few different voip apps out there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have an unbranded Samsung Galaxy Nexus straight from Google.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
In that case you're stuck with using gvoice and some kind of voip app. Or maybe buying a microcell or annoying tmobile enough that theyd maybe give you one.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
It's been a while since if seen any deals on straighttalk $45 plans. They've been sold out on refillmobi and crazygametime for a while now. Are there any other legit sellers?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Long Francesco posted:

In that case you're stuck with using gvoice and some kind of voip app. Or maybe buying a microcell or annoying tmobile enough that theyd maybe give you one.

Yeah, okay, thanks. GrooveIP should tide me over for now.

If I'm looking at this right, GrooveIP Free only works over WiFi and should ring my phone when I get a call. Outside of WiFi, Google Voice will forward the call to me cell using voice minutes, right?

Is there any point in installing the Google Voice app other than the ability to make calls using your Voice number?

Sorry for the stupid questions. Is there a Google Voice thread or something I should take them to instead?

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Try the Vonage app first instead of GrooveIP - it should be free for outbound VOIP calls and it works way better for a lot of people.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Are the T-Mobile sims I can pick up from wal-mart/target good for the $30/month pre-paid plan, or can I only do that by ordering a SIM online or buying a phone in-store at Wal-Mart?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Mister Fister posted:

It's been a while since if seen any deals on straighttalk $45 plans. They've been sold out on refillmobi and crazygametime for a while now. Are there any other legit sellers?

I've been looking for this too. Lately everytime I try to order the refill on Walmart's website even my order will get cancelled. Tried every card I've got on different accounts, still, cancelled. I'm getting sick of having to buy cards at the actual store and pay like $4+ for tax and poo poo.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

SB35 posted:

I've been looking for this too. Lately everytime I try to order the refill on Walmart's website even my order will get cancelled. Tried every card I've got on different accounts, still, cancelled. I'm getting sick of having to buy cards at the actual store and pay like $4+ for tax and poo poo.

I've been getting mine from Calling Mart for the last year or so. No discount but no sales tax

EDIT: I'm dumb. I was thinking this was for T-Mobile prepaid and not Straight Talk. I only used Straight Talk for one month and never bought a refill

gariig fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 30, 2013

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Are the T-Mobile sims I can pick up from wal-mart/target good for the $30/month pre-paid plan, or can I only do that by ordering a SIM online or buying a phone in-store at Wal-Mart?

I would ask if they sell the plan/SIM combo apart from a phone at Walmart, but otherwise you're stuck. I ordered online.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

gariig posted:

I've been getting mine from Calling Mart for the last year or so. No discount but no sales tax

StraightTalk isn't available on CallingMart, at least as far as I can see.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Rooster Brooster posted:

Try the Vonage app first instead of GrooveIP - it should be free for outbound VOIP calls and it works way better for a lot of people.

FWIW, I've tried the Vonage app before, and while the call connects, the person on the other end of the line can't hear me. Dunno why!

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I'm trying to decide between a Samsung Galaxy Reverb and HTC One V on Virgin Mobile. Can anyone in this thread who's used either phone offer some impressions? From reading reviews, it seems like the Galaxy has better performance but the One has better build quality. I'm particularly curious about how stable they are; about a year and a half ago, I bought an LG Optimus V and it was slow as hell and crashed constantly until I installed a Cyanogen-based ROM called Harmonia 2. Does the stock Reverb or One have any notable stability or perofrmance issues, and if so, are there any custom ROMs you guys would recommend to mitigate it? Thanks!

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

The rear end Stooge posted:

I'm trying to decide between a Samsung Galaxy Reverb and HTC One V on Virgin Mobile. Can anyone in this thread who's used either phone offer some impressions? From reading reviews, it seems like the Galaxy has better performance but the One has better build quality. I'm particularly curious about how stable they are; about a year and a half ago, I bought an LG Optimus V and it was slow as hell and crashed constantly until I installed a Cyanogen-based ROM called Harmonia 2. Does the stock Reverb or One have any notable stability or perofrmance issues, and if so, are there any custom ROMs you guys would recommend to mitigate it? Thanks!

Why would you want either?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="418006206"]
Why would you want either?

The same reason I'm on Virgin Mobile in the first place: I'm poor.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Based on what I know about the One line, I would definitely gravitate towards that. The Reverb seems like an unpopular spinoff of the Galaxy line, whereas the One V is just a One (not the recent One, confusingly enough) that supports Virgin.

Virgin is actually a pretty decent carrier as long as you live in a major city - they are on the Sprint network, after all. The only downsides are their phone selection, and the cost of buying an off-contract phone that you can't even take to another carrier. That's one of several reasons I ended up buying a Galaxy Nexus and switching to T-Mobile.

Stalling Grad
Feb 3, 2009

I'm trying to decide between a Samsung Galaxy Reverb and HTC One V on Virgin Mobile.
I've been using a One V for the last month or so. Battery life seems fine, but the gimped single core barely gets the job done. Chrome hangs on certain pages, and it may take a few tries to make a phone call. It can be frustrating. I'm debating on getting a Galaxy 2 for VM off of eBay for an upgrade for $180. I got my One V on black Friday for $50.

tl;dr: If you can, get a used Galaxy 2 off of eBay.

Also, is it possible to use other rims on VM phones? Thought originally they would only activate on default build. Maybe the One V would be more responsive on a newer build.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Stalling Grad posted:

Also, is it possible to use other rims on VM phones? Thought originally they would only activate on default build. Maybe the One V would be more responsive on a newer build.

I think you have to have the stock ROM to activate it, but after that you can install custom ROMs. I use one on my Optimus that updates it from Froyo to Gingerbread and cuts out all of the cruft that Virgin puts on their phones. It's been great but it's getting pretty long in the tooth.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

The same reason I'm on Virgin Mobile in the first place: I'm poor.

How much are you planning on spending on the phone and how much are you spending per month?

Also, what is your typical usage like?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="418011233"]
How much are you planning on spending on the phone and how much are you spending per month?

Also, what is your typical usage like?

I'm looking to spend around $150 but I'd go as high as $200 if the phone really kicked rear end. I'm on their cheapest Beyond Talk plan: $35/mo for 300 minutes (of which I usually use around 100-150) and unlimited text and data.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

They both look pretty bad. Awhile ago they were selling the One V for $50 without a plan. Don't buy it for $150.

No the One V is not like the new HTC One at all.

This one

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/lg-optimus-f3-phone/features/

At least these have LTE and a dual core.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-victory-4G-LTE-phone/features/

If you are going to pay over $100 for a phone on Virgin get LTE, trust me. NV means LTE will be everywhere Sprint is pretty soon.

The One SV on Boost is pretty nice FYI.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 1, 2013

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
That Victory looks pretty nice. How does it compare to the Galaxy S2? They seem pretty similar, spec-wise.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

I'm looking to spend around $150 but I'd go as high as $200 if the phone really kicked rear end. I'm on their cheapest Beyond Talk plan: $35/mo for 300 minutes (of which I usually use around 100-150) and unlimited text and data.

Are you sure you can't save a little more to get a Nexus 4 for $300 on Tmobile's $30 100 minute plan? Extra minutes are 10 cents, so it would be about the same price with 150 minutes. This is assuming Tmobile is good where you live.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
Don't get the HTC One V, as it went to $50 during Black Friday last year. I'd feel pretty bad if you pay $150 for it. I used the HTC One V for about two weeks before teaching my dad how to use it as his main phone. It'll do all the things you probably want, but extremely slowly. I also don't know if it's a network issue or what, but it has a tendency to get flaming hot and require a reboot to cooldown.

My suggestion is to wait until Black Friday and see what Virgin offers for sale then. I know the Optimus sucks real bad, as I used it for two years. However, the sales last year were good ($50 for HTC One V, $100 for Samsung Reverb and $150 for Evo V) that I think it's totally worth the wait.

Seriously, don't spend $150 on the HTC One V.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Take a lesson from me and avoid getting the cheapest possible smartphone. I bought an LG Optimus V, but it had so little onboard storage that I started having to delete apps just to keep getting texts - and this is with the ability to shuttle some apps to a Micro SD card. Now I have a Galaxy Nexus and I'll gladly keep it for another year or more.

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.
I have to say, I love my Galaxy Rush. It's a Boost phone, which unfortunately is only a good option in large metropolitan areas. However, I've had no problems with service while camping this year, unless it was an area where everyone else, including post-paid ATT users also had no signal. I got a handed down a Galaxy S2 earlier this year, which can be used on Boost, but sold it to keep the Rush instead. I especially like the smaller size to fit my pockets better.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Nihiliste posted:

Take a lesson from me and avoid getting the cheapest possible smartphone. I bought an LG Optimus V, but it had so little onboard storage that I started having to delete apps just to keep getting texts - and this is with the ability to shuttle some apps to a Micro SD card. Now I have a Galaxy Nexus and I'll gladly keep it for another year or more.

I did this too, with an Optimus S, and had the same experience but not until the last half year or so and it really wasn't that bad. Most apps go unused anyway, figure out what you don't use and get rid of them. Obviously experiences will vary but not everyone hates it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have an HTC one v, thew clock jumps around (4 hours, 3 hrs) the screen sometimes doesn't sleep when locking so the battery sometimes gets eaten up.
The WiFi sometimes goes into a connect disconnect loop that makes the phone heat up and kill the battery.
I had to charge up and use my old phone because the alarm isn't reliable and failed to go off 3x this past 2-3 weeks. (I need a mobile alarm so I can be sure it goes off wherever I am.)

I am not happy with my purchase. Just wanted an incremental increase from my optimus v.

Editw my optimus v had google apps, handcent and awful and that's all that fit after all the google apps updated themselves automatically

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
I've been using the TMo $30 plan for a year or two, but where I'm living for the next 9 months has weak Tmo signal and only Edge network, so it's instantly a much worse value. I want to try out AT&T via Straight Talk, but ST seems to want to sell me only TMobile coverage, or at least they keep mentioning TMobile on their website. Do they get data coverage via AT&T towers anymore? Have they gone all TMo and there's no AT&T at all anymore?

• Locked thread