Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mortimer posted:

I thought they had the gravelly voice because (actually seriously) one of them started talking in harsher tones to be more masculine and it devolved into a "who has the manlier voice" contest across the whole culture. Then Oblivion said "well they don't do it in Cyrodiil" and gave them the default elf voice.

e: or maybe it was just ash nevermind
e2: I like that they brought back the original dark elf VA to voice Saint Jiub in Dawnguard, that was probably the best part of Dawnguard.
e3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfOyk9XXnQc

I thought the best part of Dawnguard was when you fought a million Falmer to find a bow that you might not be specced for.

No, it's Arvak. Arvak erry day, doom horse best horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Mortimer posted:

I thought they had the gravelly voice because (actually seriously) one of them started talking in harsher tones to be more masculine and it devolved into a "who has the manlier voice" contest across the whole culture. Then Oblivion said "well they don't do it in Cyrodiil" and gave them the default elf voice.

e: or maybe it was just ash nevermind
e2: I like that they brought back the original dark elf VA to voice Saint Jiub in Dawnguard, that was probably the best part of Dawnguard.
e3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfOyk9XXnQc

I had a pet theory that the deep gravely voice was a fashion statement that fell out of favour after it turned out the Saviour of the Dunmer Nerevarine was an outlander, on top of people being collectively sick of the throat pain. It also covers why Neloth's voice changes, so there you go!

Edit: my favourite part of Dawnguard was the dwarven aetherite quest. It wasn't too shabby , and the reward was pretty good!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The real reason dark elves stopped talking gravelly was because that kind of voice acting does a number on your vocal chords, and Jeff Baker had gotten too old for that poo poo for a game where every line is voiced.

As for the look, they've alternated between DnD Drow and wrinkly aliens in nearly every game.

Daggerfall:

Morrowind:

Oblivion:

Skyrim:

ESO (a bit closer to Skyrim but the features aren't as severe):

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MnhhBoioCI

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
To their credit I think they patched Daggerfall's Dunmer later, so that it was gray-skinned red-eyed people (aka DUNMER).

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

I said it before but mine was finally seeing Mannimarco after spending the entire Mage's Guild quest using the ingame library to read about him.

I think mine was when, after doing all of the quests to get allies from different cities, the largest and most powerful province of the Empire managed to muster an army of about fifteen guys in what was apparently a pivotal battle for the fate of the world.

Like I get that the game would explode with more people than that but it felt absurd.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Skyrim, at least, does a decent job with its city battles. They're not much bigger than the "Battle" of Bruma, but they're in an enclosed space, with all sorts of chaos and stuff going on, so it feels bigger.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

also its like 20 dudes this time!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Sky Shadowing posted:

Skyrim, at least, does a decent job with its city battles. They're not much bigger than the "Battle" of Bruma, but they're in an enclosed space, with all sorts of chaos and stuff going on, so it feels bigger.

And more will spawn in, at least that's what I remember from the Whiterun one. The way the Bruma one was set up, it looked like people with very intricate costumes and props doing LARP in a park.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

prometheusbound2 posted:

I've played the Elder Scrolls since Daggerfall. I love the lore, world building, and exploration. The stories and quest designs-well, I won't repeat what all already know.

Is The Elder Scrolls Online worth picking up? I generally don't care for MMORPGs, but if it offers exploration of lots of the worldspace I'd be interested. What's the gameplay experience like? I kind of hate MMORPG gameplay, as seen in titles like The Old Republic and World of Warcraft.

Well in case you missed the E3 announcement, One Tamriel is the next "big" update for ESO, which will essentially turn it into a "true" Elder Scrolls game by completely removing the world restrictions (right now you are limited to your own faction for levels 1-50, with the additional two factions becoming available once you hit level 50), and faction restrictions outside of Cyrodiil (the main PvP area of the game). Plus with their current Battle Leveling system you can pretty much explore any content at any level, since your stats get boosted to something comparable to a max level character.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If you're always waltzing around at the equivalent of max level, how does the game give a sense of progress? Does it?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Chief Savage Man posted:

And more will spawn in, at least that's what I remember from the Whiterun one. The way the Bruma one was set up, it looked like people with very intricate costumes and props doing LARP in a park.

That's a problem in anything since Morrowind - almost anything past basic equipment looks like awful larp gear.

Mod users, go to google and remind yourself of skyrim's original elven armor

more like bright gold tower amirite

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Ebony armor from morrowind is great because the helmet doesn't even seem to have a front.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

radintorov posted:

Been playing Legends as well and while it has the usual CCG issue that if game decides not to give you the cards you need there isn't much you can do, I do like the mechanics and the few single race gimmick decks I made seem to be working alright.

The soul gems mechanic offsets this somewhat. Rarer cards are a bit prohibitive, but at least it's possible to save up for them and guarantee a drop, and more common cards are easier to acquire so that your starting decks have at least basic proficiency right out the gate.

frajaq posted:

I'm enjoying the game so far, I dig the shadow lane a lot since it allows you to play some more greedy minions that no way would survive a single turn in hearthstone, so it's fun that way.

I'm playing an aggressive orc-heavy Strength/Willpower deck and I'm having fun, although I'm probably just playing against terrible people.

When I did my first free Solo Arena run I got a really decent amount of gold plus some dust and a pack, but from what I read on reddit eventually it gets really hard when you try it again, and it's more worth it for you to play the Versus Arena against real people (which makes sense).

There's definitely potential to it. It just feels weird going from hearthstone to elder scrolls because of the amount of cards alone.

I've been only doing solo arenas so far, and it seems like they're very, very RNG dependant. Sometimes you can draw a deck that steamrolls, and sometimes the CPU goes full gently caress YOU. However, it's a solid wager, because if you manage to win just 3 fights, you usually come out ahead compared to just straight buying a card pack (never ever buy a card pack). I just finished a solo arena run, and got 130 gold back, 2 packs, and a Legendary, so that's a nice return on the investment.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Ynglaur posted:

If you're always waltzing around at the equivalent of max level, how does the game give a sense of progress? Does it?
Gaining experience while wear say heavy armor and using a big sword levels up those skill lines, unlocking new abilities and passives. So a true max level guy will have bonuses and stuff that a buffed newbie won't have. Also when you hit max level you start accumulating points which go towards really small incremental increases in things like damage done or spell cost reduction. And then there's the hunt for better gear and all that.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Count me as another person who is enjoying legends. I thought it was going to be hot garbage when it was announced at e3.

I really like being able to essentially combine two classes for a deck. I found intelligence/agility to work the best so far. Tons of ways to remove with annoying and cheap minions to deal with. The agility cards also has a good deal of ways to keep a health advantage which is super important in this game.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rough Lobster posted:

Gaining experience while wear say heavy armor and using a big sword levels up those skill lines, unlocking new abilities and passives. So a true max level guy will have bonuses and stuff that a buffed newbie won't have. Also when you hit max level you start accumulating points which go towards really small incremental increases in things like damage done or spell cost reduction. And then there's the hunt for better gear and all that.

Thanks. I may end up picking this up to give me an Elder Scrolls game to play without the temptation of modding.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DrManiac posted:

Count me as another person who is enjoying legends. I thought it was going to be hot garbage when it was announced at e3.

I really like being able to essentially combine two classes for a deck. I found intelligence/agility to work the best so far. Tons of ways to remove with annoying and cheap minions to deal with. The agility cards also has a good deal of ways to keep a health advantage which is super important in this game.

I'm really enjoying the lane mechanic.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

The soul gems mechanic offsets this somewhat. Rarer cards are a bit prohibitive, but at least it's possible to save up for them and guarantee a drop, and more common cards are easier to acquire so that your starting decks have at least basic proficiency right out the gate.

I've been only doing solo arenas so far, and it seems like they're very, very RNG dependant. Sometimes you can draw a deck that steamrolls, and sometimes the CPU goes full gently caress YOU. However, it's a solid wager, because if you manage to win just 3 fights, you usually come out ahead compared to just straight buying a card pack (never ever buy a card pack). I just finished a solo arena run, and got 130 gold back, 2 packs, and a Legendary, so that's a nice return on the investment.

There are a lot of cards in the game that are simply strictly better than other cards. There are 3 mana 4/4s with upsides alongside vanilla 3 mana 3/4s. This means the arena drafting process will be pretty inconsistent. At least it doesn't seem to offer non-upgraded versions of the starter cards, but it looks like everything else is fair game. Even still, I feel like drafting is something you can get good at in this just like in Hearthstone, which uses an almost identical drafting system. I imagine it won't be too hard to be able to draft consistently decent decks once we better know what's good and what's garbage in arena. So far I've basically been following hearthstone philosophy, draft good stats and avoid weird situational stuff, make sure your curve is filled out. At least six two mana creatures is a must. I won my first solo arena run then got six and then seven wins in my first four versus arena runs, so it seems like the basic hearthstone strategies carry over somewhat.

Anyone know what the arena ranking system is about? Do you face off against better players when you rank up? It doesn't seem like they do record-based matchmaking like in Hearthstone (which will try to only pit players who have the same record against each other), so I'm guessing the ranking is their matchmaking system, trying to pit players off against each other who have obtained the same number of 7 win (max win) arenas? That actually makes it pretty hard, if so. It's only possible to get a consistent 67%+ winrate in HS arena because the players it matches you against at the start of each run tend to be bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arenas end at 7? drat, I'm on a final boss.

I think there must be some kind of matchmaking system by record, though, as it's been taking longer and longer to find an opponent. I stopped at 6-2 last night after queuing for 30 seconds, prior to that it hadn't taken more than 20 and in the early games it was only taking 5 or 6.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

Increased skillpoints and attribute points, and once you hit level 50 you start earning Champion Points that passively increase certain stats (attribute regen, magic/physical damage).

Though a word of warning, they botched the implementation and only recently decided to add a cap to the amount of CP you could allocate. Before that you had poopsockers running around in Cyrodiil (PvP) with 1k+ owning the poo poo out of everybody.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

One more thing I like about Legends over Hearthstone is that Legendaries come a bit easier

(or I just got really lucky)

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I love legends but I am still upset over the dark elf designs :argh:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

frajaq posted:

One more thing I like about Legends over Hearthstone is that Legendaries come a bit easier

Either you're lucky or I'm unlucky because I only got 1 non-gimme legendary.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

frajaq posted:

Wait, was that all at once?!?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, that looks like a single pack.

I got two legendaries as loose cards as rewards when completing my first Solo Arena so I got a bit lucky there, too. Too bad they both kinda sucked.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

How I feel sometimes

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, as always, I am late to the news. Skyrim Remaster is coming in October and I am excited. I was at first gonna be like "eh, who cares." but the articles I've read say the PS4/XB1 versions will be able to use PC Mods? I've never heard of such a thing and if it's true, I am extra excited. I just don't know how it'll work.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Fallout 4 has Mods for Consoles and... Well, it technically works, but you can't get programs like Fallout Script Extender (or SKSE) installed on consoles so the more technically advanced mods are out still. Then you add in the community factor and you get a shitshow. A lot of modders aren't testing with consoles to ensure their mods work due to disinterest. This would be fine but then you have other people who will download these mods and upload the to the Bethesda's Mod Database. Now setting issues of author acknowledgment aside, this bogs down Beth's Console Mod DB with poorly optimized mods that will get no support since the author never intended on working in a console ready version in the first place.

Which is to say nothing of the people that take the PC vs. Console war/debate/slapfight seriously, who compose a teeny, tiny and endlessly funny segment of the population.

Edit: What I'd like to see with the Remastered version would be some bug fixes, like the lip-syncing bug. I will laugh my rear end off if that's still going on.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 15, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Has anyone tried Enderal? Is it worth the download?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

yes

yes, but "worth the download" is a weird statement when it's free

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mortimer posted:

yes

yes, but "worth the download" is a weird statement when it's free

not really, there's been crap that I've tried out that wasn't even worth the effort it took to click the launcher. If an all encompassing open world game mod is bad, it could mean losing a couple of hours downloading, installing, and playing it before deciding it wasn't worth the effort.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

I've tried it, but I'm not entirely out of the tutorial bits yet. It is moving at a slower pace than Skyrim was for sure. It has some new mechanics that I am not 100 percent sure how they work yet, and fights seem a bit tougher than the normal game, but I also haven't played it in years so there's that.

Beyond that though the story is a continuation of Nehrim's (the oblivion mod), which I was a bit unsure of since that had some very definite endings and I didn't feel that they ever wanted to expand on them, but the team behind this seems to be building itself a new proper world much like that found in the Elder Scrolls. So far the world isn't as easy to explore as Skyrim, offering a more constrained but deeper challenge.

Edit: So, to answer your question: I guess? I haven't gotten far enough in to find much to complain about aside from a few camera bugs here and there.Oh, and the translation from German is a bit stiff, but most translations from German are in games. And the VA work is mostly rather good for what I presume are unpaid positions.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

i am tim! posted:

Fallout 4 has Mods for Consoles and... Well, it technically works, but you can't get programs like Fallout Script Extender (or SKSE) installed on consoles so the more technically advanced mods are out still. Then you add in the community factor and you get a shitshow. A lot of modders aren't testing with consoles to ensure their mods work due to disinterest. This would be fine but then you have other people who will download these mods and upload the to the Bethesda's Mod Database. Now setting issues of author acknowledgment aside, this bogs down Beth's Console Mod DB with poorly optimized mods that will get no support since the author never intended on working in a console ready version in the first place.

Which is to say nothing of the people that take the PC vs. Console war/debate/slapfight seriously, who compose a teeny, tiny and endlessly funny segment of the population.

Edit: What I'd like to see with the Remastered version would be some bug fixes, like the lip-syncing bug. I will laugh my rear end off if that's still going on.

Yeah, losing SKSE is a big hit but I've seen a bunch of cool mods on xbone for FO4. It's not going to be perfect, sure, but for people like me who prefer to sit in front of a big TV these days it's a neat little refresh on Skyrim.

Maybe this will cause more mod makers to really bring their stuff over, or maybe it won't

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I think, depending on how easy it is to port (and my personal theory is that Bethesda's idea of 'porting' is 'put it on Bethesda.net', by which I mean mods will straight up work off the bat with very few exceptions), you'll first have a colossal wave of stolen mods, people complaining, Bethesda trying to figure out how to take action and doing it in a way that doesn't satisfy anyone and all we hear for days is 'gently caress BETHESDA RUINED EVERYTHING'.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Is that what happened with FO4 on Xbone? Genuine question for anyone that knows -- haven't actually looked too far into the mod scene there

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think, depending on how easy it is to port (and my personal theory is that Bethesda's idea of 'porting' is 'put it on Bethesda.net', by which I mean mods will straight up work off the bat with very few exceptions), you'll first have a colossal wave of stolen mods, people complaining, Bethesda trying to figure out how to take action and doing it in a way that doesn't satisfy anyone and all we hear for days is 'gently caress BETHESDA RUINED EVERYTHING'.

This is pretty much happening with FO4, but Bethesda is working to respond to reports of broken and stolen mods. It is entirely up to the mod maker to ensure it's console ready, but more often than not the broken mods are uploaded "on behalf" of the author.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I figured I would pick it up a month or so after release anyway. Give some time for some working mods to show up

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Okay, so there's 3 "You died, not really, lol" moments in the opening act of the game. Hopefully this doesn't happen again now that I finally have access to the open world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

evilmiera posted:

Beyond that though the story is a continuation of Nehrim's (the oblivion mod), which I was a bit unsure of since that had some very definite endings and I didn't feel that they ever wanted to expand on them, but the team behind this seems to be building itself a new proper world much like that found in the Elder Scrolls. So far the world isn't as easy to explore as Skyrim, offering a more constrained but deeper challenge.

If I never played Nehrim, should I play that first or is it OK to jump straight in to Enderal?