Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damone
May 3, 2009
Had a good amount of fun in the beta, the group co-op content was fun enough and I can't wait to play it with people who just want to take their time and not just rush through.

My Dark Zone experience was mostly solo, with the occasional goon dunking on mumble. Going rogue solo almost a death sentence outright but it's thrilling nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

gileadexile posted:

That's precisely the reason I enjoyed the beta so much. It reminds me of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. Had fun with pootbarn, lapsus, literallygary, jayisspecials yesterday.

That's a really good comparison, drat. But yeah, compared to the first beta where AI enemies were purely here and there compared to this beta where some of the dark zone buildings were chock full of 'em, I like the direction that's going.

Honestly I wouldn't mind a pure PvE dark zone feature with shitloads of AI enemies where you and your pals and some other random folks can band together and shoot for precious hats and scarves.

I had three scarves at the end :c00l:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Croccers posted:

I'd just scoot from cover to cover, whip out the SMG for mid range since the Uzi shot a bit slower it was easy to full-auto and still land every shot. Shotgun for up close.
One of the LMG's was like that too. DPS looked good but it has lovely massive recoil. While another type did less DPS from firing slower but still did same-ish actual damage per shot and the recoil wasn't super-trash. The AK assault rifles seemed to draw up and to the right where the M4 just kicked up.
If you have to tap-fire a high DPS gun, aren't you not getting that full DPS then?

Also the shield could get to some loving crazy levels of health if you stacked Electronics. :unsmigghh:

I'm strongly considering trying to get a 249 as my main weapon when the game comes out. More than enough firepower and control to gun down the stragglers you find out in the open when patrolling through the streets, but in an actually challenging fight like one of the main missions or DZ lairs I'd be able to easily suppress everyone thus allowing my teammates to get flanking shots or grenades on target.

Throughout most of the beta my setup has been an M1A with a suppressor as my primary, a thoroughly modded Vector as my secondary (extended mag, holo sight, laser assist, and muzzle brake), and a 1911 as my sidearm. Worked really well, I was able to kill most enemies with one or two shots from the M1A and it fired quickly enough to be able to inflict lots of damage on unaware groups before they could get to cover.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
So, when does the Beta actually finish? It's still working on Xbox One.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Anime_Otaku posted:

So, when does the Beta actually finish? It's still working on Xbox One.

I checked earlier and the closing time was listed as 11 PM AEST, so a little over an hour from now, assuming it's the same time everywhere and across all platforms.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
It's into the last hour now there's a timer counting down to the server shutting, not many people about though since I guess most people thought it was finished already as I did.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

CM showed off the "played the Beta" reward. It's s Shortbows jacket. (The fake sports team). I think you get a hat too

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Roman posted:

CM showed off the "played the Beta" reward. It's s Shortbows jacket. (The fake sports team). I think you get a hat too

My friend and I were confused by the typeface, so they will forever be the NYC Chortbongs.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
I enjoyed the beta but still waffling back and forth on going all in. I noticed that Green Man Gaming has it for $42. How reliable / trustworthy a site are they? I've never purchased anything from them and I've heard mixed opinions.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

lilspooky posted:

I enjoyed the beta but still waffling back and forth on going all in. I noticed that Green Man Gaming has it for $42. How reliable / trustworthy a site are they? I've never purchased anything from them and I've heard mixed opinions.

Hell of a lot more trustworthy than Steam.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
That doesn't even make sense. :confused:

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Tei posted:

I got bored of the beta. Theres not much variety in the game just now. I will play at release, but my expectations are very low just now. DZ antics are his own thing, but you have done them all after a while, and you need friends that enjoy the game to get fun from the game. This is one of these games where if you friends quit, you quit or make new friends.

I don't really know what you expected from a beta that capped out at level 8/12 and featured a small portion of the map?

Also, please stop posting.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

lilspooky posted:

That doesn't even make sense. :confused:

And yet it is true.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had a good time with the beta, and will probably buy the game when it releases. I think I'll wait for reviews first though, just to see if they add some more stuff to do in the Dark Zone, and to see what the PvE endgame (if there is one) looks like.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

lilspooky posted:

I have purchased many games through GMG and never had a problem. They are a legit good seller and one of the best places to buy new games at release. As far as I know, they are not one of those key reseller places that sell keys from Russia like G2A.

As for the game, I thought it was entertaining but I didn't see $50-$60 worth of game so I'll probably pick it up when it goes on sale in a few months (Ubisoft is usually pretty quick with the sales).

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Played the beta with a friend, we had a blast with the PVE stuff and I sincerely hope there's a lot more to do in that regard cause gently caress the dark zone and everything about it.
Anyone know how far they're going with PVE? It seemed like after the main mission was beaten... it killed all of the random events and stuff happening all over the map?

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
So why not pick it up for $42 off GMG?

Tei posted:

This is one of these games where if you friends quit, you quit or make new friends.

I had fun lone wolfing in the DZ. I'd see a group of guys fighting a rogue squad and just roll in and flank the rogues from behind. I'd then run by the group they were fighting like a gandalf riding in on a white horse.

Dexo posted:

Duh, you'd get bored Dark zone isn't meant to be the only content. We literally only saw two missions outside of the DZ. And like a small portion on the left of the map. As there is more map on the right side past the DZ.

Really hoping they took lessons from Destiny and have a satisfactory story and content in the game.

I feel this story can make more sense and the whole thing of how it seems like it could happen makes it enjoyable. I'm not sure who's writing the story/script, but being based off a book series means it has a chance of a better story.

And pretty much "The city can't run on fats and dreams" was better than any line your ghost made to make humor.

Damone posted:

Had a good amount of fun in the beta, the group co-op content was fun enough and I can't wait to play it with people who just want to take their time and not just rush through.

My Dark Zone experience was mostly solo, with the occasional goon dunking on mumble. Going rogue solo almost a death sentence outright but it's thrilling nonetheless.

I found going rogue as a squad of 2 is a minimum to overlap pulses and get double heal overlap if needed. I found double flanks and keeping pressure with LMG and SMG fire kept people behind cover and then you swarm them and they go into panic mode trying to shoot you.

I feel a 2 man squad is good because it's 2 less people to accidentally hit innocents and make your entire group go rogue. I hated having someone clip an innocent and the 4 of us go rogue and get turned on.

Deakul posted:

Played the beta with a friend, we had a blast with the PVE stuff and I sincerely hope there's a lot more to do in that regard cause gently caress the dark zone and everything about it.

Anyone know how far they're going with PVE? It seemed like after the main mission was beaten... it killed all of the random events and stuff happening all over the map?

I'm sure a whole story about how the virus started and finding a cure by unlocking medical wings. There's probably a main story arch and then all the side sub quests like the echo locator to find the one lady's relative.

PvE is nice playing solo, since you can soak up the atmosphere and explore on your own time.

Billy Elliot fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 22, 2016

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

lilspooky posted:

I've bought several big name games from them in the past year and they have always come through on all my purchases except for Battlefront. They did not get the key on release day but sent an apology email and promised it within 48 hours of release. I got it within 24 and a 50% one time use blanket coupon on up to 5 items. Used that to preorder The Division.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

GMG is definately the most reliable of the seedy secondhand sites, the only problem people usually have is keys being a day or two late (as said above) and that you can't preload

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Billy Elliot posted:

I had fun lone wolfing in the DZ. I'd see a group of guys fighting a rogue squad and just roll in and flank the rogues from behind. I'd then run by the group they were fighting like a gandalf riding in on a white horse.

The game feel completely different with one player, versus two players, or 4 players. Two players is, sometimes you have to run, often you run behind people. With fourth players you can camp a place and kill everyone that approach.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Billy Elliot posted:

I'm sure a whole story about how the virus started and finding a cure by unlocking medical wings. There's probably a main story arch and then all the side sub quests like the echo locator to find the one lady's relative.
Medical Wing missions will be researching and curing the virus.
Tech Wing (Since the guy seems to be :tinfoil:) will be figuring out REAL whos and whys about the attack.
Security Wing will be securing and reclaiming the city from the factions?

Or maybe those two missions were just colour-coded so you knew what they unlocked and the game is just a linear mission path with little side-things tacked on. :shrug:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Croccers posted:

Medical Wing missions will be researching and curing the virus.
Tech Wing (Since the guy seems to be :tinfoil:) will be figuring out REAL whos and whys about the attack.
Security Wing will be securing and reclaiming the city from the factions?

Or maybe those two missions were just colour-coded so you knew what they unlocked and the game is just a linear mission path with little side-things tacked on. :shrug:

I think Tech is gonna be reclaiming the infrastructure(IE the mission to save the guy has him restarting the power grid or whatever that was)

The final arc after those 3 we will probably be the real villian reveal(Spoilers: It's the Liberals)

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Dexo posted:

I think Tech is gonna be reclaiming the infrastructure(IE the mission to save the guy has him restarting the power grid or whatever that was)

The final arc after those 3 we will probably be the real villian reveal(Spoilers: It's the Liberals)

Security will probably be restoring the police / JTF / National Guard to power / control / authority

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Linx posted:

I don't really know what you expected from a beta that capped out at level 8/12 and featured a small portion of the map?

Also, please stop posting.

I beg your pardon, sir, or madam, but Tei is a legend. Very wise.

Also,

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I guess it must be whatever the secret big bad guy is, but I wonder what is stopping the National Guard/Army/Navy from just flooding into NYC en-masse. I guess the place has been deserted for a while if they have the DZ checkpoints up by why couldn't they clear out the citizens?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I guess it must be whatever the secret big bad guy is, but I wonder what is stopping the National Guard/Army/Navy from just flooding into NYC en-masse. I guess the place has been deserted for a while if they have the DZ checkpoints up by why couldn't they clear out the citizens?

I hope they don't play a 'Oh yeah you think this is bad? You should see all the other major cities!' card and just let it be contained here. It'd add to whole environment by knowing you are in the one utterly toppled metropolitan area and if you don't stop it, it's going to happen in more as it's transferred.

I assume the DZ volunteers from the Guard are residing in the flag draped caskets in the subway so morale must be absolutely shot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dandywalken posted:

I hope they don't play a 'Oh yeah you think this is bad? You should see all the other major cities!' card and just let it be contained here. It'd add to whole environment by knowing you are in the one utterly toppled metropolitan area and if you don't stop it, it's going to happen in more as it's transferred.

I assume the DZ volunteers from the Guard are residing in the flag draped caskets in the subway so morale must be absolutely shot.

I have a feeling This is going to turn out to be some government test thing gone wrong. On the otherhand I would pay infinite dollars for a Division: Chicago game down the line.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Pretty sure they have already dropped hints that other places are hosed up too?

Also, end game will be l4D 4 players vs swarm as the plague that killed everyone turns into a zombie designed by the russians.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
They need a sequel/future content hook so obviously the disease won't be cured or the story will start obsessing on a different tangent (the evil left-wingers who are hell bent on destroying the government) and forget about finding out about the disease.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dexo posted:

I have a feeling This is going to turn out to be some government test thing gone wrong. On the otherhand I would pay infinite dollars for a Division: Chicago game down the line.

They can re-use the Watch Dogs assets for that and have it cranked out for holiday 2017.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I really hope they tweak DPS values to more accurately reflect the actual damage of the weapon rather than "If every bullet hits".

At level 6 I found a blue RPK that the game said did less DPS than my starter M4. Of course what was important was the fact my M4 had an extended mag and other mods to it. The RPK did 100 more damage per hit. The DPS that is calculated on weapons is assuming every bullet hits, which you most assuredly will not unless you're at the complete optimal range for it and obviously don't miss.

This way they can lower the number values as well. 500 - 1000 dps is much more user-friendly to people than 3700 - 10,000.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Beta was fun. Got a nice shotgun that took down NPCs and players pretty quickly, so I was doing that avoidance jump/roll thing everywhere, cover to cover and absolutely smoking some fools. Got yelled at for being an aim botting bunny hopper (I was using the xim4). On the PS4.

Awesome and can't wait for live

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The beta was pretty fun. Can't decide if I want to take advantage of the 20 percent discount and just get the Gold edition or get the regular edition

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Regarding a plot hook for a sequel; yeah true enough. Maybe they cure what strain hit NYC but then reports of a different strain deployed via a modified vector or method of spreading appears in a news report in several other major global cities?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Anyone ever preorder anything through CDkeys.com? I had some a $15 dollar credit there from awhile back when I purchased Arkham Knight and then it went out of stock, they were supposed to send it when it came back in stock but never did for whatever reason so I got a refund and they game me 15 cdkey bucks as an apology. I've purchased other games there and had no problem, but never a pre-order.. I couldn't pass up only 65 dollars for the gold edition though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

Anyone ever preorder anything through CDkeys.com? I had some a $15 dollar credit there from awhile back when I purchased Arkham Knight and then it went out of stock, they were supposed to send it when it came back in stock but never did for whatever reason so I got a refund and they game me 15 cdkey bucks as an apology. I've purchased other games there and had no problem, but never a pre-order.. I couldn't pass up only 65 dollars for the gold edition though.

I bought JC3(it was something dumb like 18 dollars or something) from them. It works. Haven't had any issues. But I recommend using Paypal with them.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Nalin posted:

You just can't trust large groups of people.

So true. Anytime you turn around and notice roughly 10 pubbies all converged on one point, you just KNOW one of them is going to open fire just, well, because.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

So true. Anytime you turn around and notice roughly 10 pubbies all converged on one point, you just KNOW one of them is going to open fire just, well, because.

The only way to really handle this is to sit a little ways off to the side and wait patiently and then murder whoever goes rogue.

Actually towards the end of the beta I was seeing obvious attempts by people to goad players into going rogue. Some guy would walk up and shoot me a couple of times with a pistol and watch my reaction. Then his friend would launch sticky flash bombs at us (which do no damage and don't cause anyone to go rogue) they repeated this for two or three minutes before finally realizing I wasn't buying it.

Pretty entertaining though.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Had a pretty good 30 minute battle with another group of 3 guys yesterday. They jumped us when we were extracting items after looting some DZ key caches. After we regrouped outside the safe room we were walking down the street and saw them. One of them tried to pretend like they didn't do it while a member of their group was in cover getting ready to drop a sticky bomb on us. We killed them and began going down the street and then there they were again a couple minutes later asking for a truce and then opening fire on us. Our battle raged through much of the DZ and into the subway I think I hit level 12 DZ rank 3 times and then would turn around and lose it. Honestly I think the most fun part of the DZ is the directional voice chat stuff. Russian players really have a difficult time coming up with a good joke or even just saying get hosed to someone so it ended up being pretty hilarious just listening to them try to talk poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Last night was good... last few hours of the beta, everyone geared up, and nobody giving a poo poo about losing rep or money. I spent a couple of hours playing hot potato with other groups over who goes rogue right outside the DZ entrance. It was wildly silly fun.

• Locked thread