Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Zodiac5000 posted:

Also let it be noted: HAHA WOO I AM THE KING OF THE CASTLE! That's what you get for not picking me up from the bar that one time Pash. Boosh!

Just gonna say this again for posterity's sake, I never got your call. My phone never even listed missing a call. I think you must have just thought you called me, from what I hear you were very very drunk. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

There may be certain issues with O'Dea, stemming from the fact that I really, really, really didn't think you'd use the ninth-worst catcher on your roster.
mrnoun is trolling the superleague (well, mostly mentholmoose) at this point. His entire team strategy is "Hmmm, I wonder how I can adjust my stadium so playing the ______th worst player at every position is viable..."

I was wondering if this was one of those "BBM secretly loves this guy" type of deals, but nope. He's just not very good, even outside of the high standards of the superleague.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Pander posted:

mrnoun is trolling the superleague (well, mostly mentholmoose) at this point. His entire team strategy is "Hmmm, I wonder how I can adjust my stadium so playing the ______th worst player at every position is viable..."

I was wondering if this was one of those "BBM secretly loves this guy" type of deals, but nope. He's just not very good, even outside of the high standards of the superleague.

Frankly I forgot to add him to my roster in my tests, so I wanted to see what he rolled.

Go with, uh, Cliff Johnson instead I guess?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Super-League XVI, Week Injury Report

The First Half of Interleague play is now over, so don't worry about those lineups again until after the break!

The Super-Draft draft order is now set (for the Super-League, at least)

Australian Thunder
A.J. Burnett (SP) (Pre-emptive veto!) - 16 days
Stephen Strasburg (SP) (And one more!) - 12 days

Chicago Southpaws
Joe Judge (1B) (GUILTY!) - 12 days

Khartoum Doom
Matt Lindstrom (RP) (Who?) - 13 days

Somali Pirates
Rickey Henderson (OF) (The Price of Greatness) - 23 days

Walney Rakers
Al Kaline (OF) (Blood must flow) - 12 days

Pick 'em: The Ultimate Test

Cruiserweight Championship
Rockford Losers (c) @ New World Symphony

UNIFICATION MATCH! Grand Slam Championships vs. Hardcore and Television Title Championships!
Dragons unify vs. Both Retain vs. Pirates unify

:siren:Free Bonus Content! But it's not about baseball, so feel free to just scroll on down!:siren:

Legion of Super-Heroes (v4) #8

When two eras of horrible costuming collide, there are no survivors!

Earth! Cham leaves a message to Marla Latham, the nerd he left in charge of Brande Industries when he went off to reform the Legion back in issue #1. Marla thinks about how Cham has become so much like his father. Which means it's time for a flashback!

Many years ago! Marla was just some nerd. And then one day, he found some dudes beating up a Durlan and rushed off to help. Of course, Marla got his rear end-kicked, but since the Durlan had shape-changing powers, he beat up his assailants on his own. The Durlan turns out not to speak Interlac, though, the common tongue of the 30th century, and Marla is at a loss as to what to do for him. He eventually decides to take the Durlan to the only other Durlan he knows, a smuggler named Theg, who figures out that the Durlan only knows and ancient dialect of the Durlan language, and also is amnesiac. Marla tries to bargain with Theg to get the Durlan back to Durla, but doesn't have enough money to pay for it. Marla suggests the Durlan work for Theg to make up the difference, and Theg agrees.

Well, that's the last of the Durlan, who later becomes R.J. Brande, that Marla would see for 15 years, as it turns out that Durla was more xenophobic that either the Durlan or Theg predicted, and both men got trapped on Durla. Brande had a couple of kids, but he and Theg had gotten an exotic form of fever that got them quarantined in the slums, forcing Brande to abandon his children. On the plus side, they eventually found their way off the planet and back to Earth, where Brande starts to learn about CAPITALISM! Marla's doing okay as well.

15 years later, Brande decides to hire on Marla as his assistant for sentimental reasons, and because Theg, who now calls himself Doyle, has been growing increasingly erratic. Brande eventually decides to buy him out, despite the fact that he knows that Doyle will burn through the buy-out money and then self-destruct. And he does! And then starts threatening Brande's life. Brande does not care. He does care about doing something other than making money, and finds inspiration in the legend of Mon-El, who, thanks to retcons, is now known as Lar Gand or Valor.

It turns out that Brande was not entirely wise to dismiss Doyle's threats, as Doyle sends killers to take him out. But Brande gets saved by the teenagers who would become Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl. And that convinces him that what he should do is create a team of super-powered teenagers to fight crime. He has no idea how the gently caress to do that, though, so he just tells the three kids who saved him and Marla to figure out just how the hell to make that work. and they eventually do, kind of.

Verdammit?

The first three Legionnaires decide they probably should apprehend Doyle, despite the fact that they have no legal authority to do so, nor any training. And so they get their asses kicked by Doyle's gang. And the Science Police show up to protest their extrajudicial activities. But they eventually smooth all of that out and start recruiting new members.

Some time later, Brande instructs Marla to recruit a Durlan for the team. And not just any Durlan, but Reep Daggle, Brande's sole surviving child, since, as you'll recall, Reep iced Brande's other child as Although neither Reep, who becomes Chameleon Boy nor Marla realize that Brande is a Durlan in the first place, since he's stuck in his human form due to that plague, and that Reep is Brande's son.

Zirr! Which is apparently some planet. Cosmic Boy apologizes to Rond for letting him get tortured. He tells Cos it's fine. Nice of him. Also, we learn that the Khunds are attacking numerous United Planet systems, and that Andromeda has been fighting them. In fact, she's fighting them at the moment...a few feet away from Cosmic Boy and Rond, who decide to let her fight it out. Which she does. And then reveals to Cosmic Boy that she and Rond had a daughter named Lauren, which is supposed to be some sort of plot twist. I think. I guess we were supposed to assume that Andromeda didn't have children for some reason. It's surprising to the characters in the story, that's almost how a plot twist works!

What a twist! I think. Maybe. I don't even know anymore!

Text pieces! R.J. Brande is rich! The Khunds do not like Andromeda! That is all

Notes and Technicalities

-In fairness, R.J. Brande having been a secret alien had been established 15 years before this story. Him turning out to be from 20th century, as is later revealed, was a retcon established a few months before this comic came out, I believe, over in L.E.G.I.O.N.

Characters of Note

-Marla Latham-

Actually, this issue explains anything you might ever need to know about Marla Latham.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Is any of this backfill supposed to matter to the current storyline? I've read this twice and can't imagine why anyone coming into the franchise would care.

Everyone keeps their titles.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

kw0134 posted:

Is any of this backfill supposed to matter to the current storyline? I've read this twice and can't imagine why anyone coming into the franchise would care.

Everyone keeps their titles.

It doesn't matter to the current storyline. As far as I can tell, Keith Giffen, who was the plotter and penciller of the comic, fell behind, so he just had his assistant writers do a fill-in. I think the reason they decided to retell the origin was because of the retcons in the past few issues had made it so that Superboy no longer existed (or, at least, was no longer supposed to exist,), and so couldn't be the inspiration for the Legion anymore, so Lar Gand was slotted in there instead.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
pick em

Losers Retain
Both teams in the unification match retain

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, that was... pointful? I mean, I guess it makes sense to go over the origin stuff again when you've just reset your universe, but still, weird. Guess there could have been worse fill-ins, though.

Pick 'Em: Symphony take, others retain each.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

New World Symphony

UNIFICATION MATCH! Grand Slam Championships vs. Hardcore and Television Title Championships!
Pirates unify

mrnoun posted:

Frankly I forgot to add him to my roster in my tests, so I wanted to see what he rolled.

Go with, uh, Cliff Johnson instead I guess?

Because of this post I updated your roster sheet with all 36 of your minor league players.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Oh, the old ran-out-of-time excuse. Not that it really matters since the current storyline has all the momentum of a 4lb bowling ball pushed down the lane by a special needs child, but sticking this sort of issue as the story is almost done (I think? Hope?) setting up the major pieces for the plot feels particularly ill-timed.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

When did this run? Did Zordon's "Recruit a team of teenagers with attitude" predate "go get some super teens?"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
New World Symphony

Pirates unify

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Pickem: Symphony take, Pirates Unify

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Pick'em

Symphony sweeps and Dragons and Pirates retain their respective titles.

How far are we from the next EC class? I'm itching to be disappointed by a team again.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

FairGame posted:

When did this run? Did Zordon's "Recruit a team of teenagers with attitude" predate "go get some super teens?"

This comic came out in 1990, so it predated that by a couple of years. And I think the only change from the previous version of the origin is that Brande was now inspired by Valor, as opposed to being inspired by Superboy.

Frankly, the origin story of the Legion has never really mattered all that much. I seem to recall that the Legion's origin wasn't actually worked out until years after their first appearance in comic books, because when you get right down to it, there's really no need to explain why the Legion formed. It's a bunch of teenagers with super-powers who fight space-crime, it doesn't really matter how that came to be.

Oh, and the next issue is another fill-in issue, and it covers the amazing origin of Andromeda, the Legionnaire who retroactively popped into existence a couple of issues ago!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

New World Symphony

Pirates unify

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Mitt Romney is not pleased with his team's performance, and will be taking it out on Evander Holyfield.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.
New World Symphony

Pirates unify

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Forzelt posted:

New World Symphony

Pirates unify

Truth.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
New World Symphony

Pirates unify

Also, neither of the half-images of Cosmic Boy on that cover are the worst Cosmic Boy costume. They're both awful, but there is more awful out there.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

New World Symphony

Draw--no unification

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

For the record, I was just quoting Mitt.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

habeasdorkus posted:

Mitt Romney is not pleased with his team's performance, and will be taking it out on Evander Holyfield.
I honestly thought this was a Photoshop but then I saw the article on the NYTimes and :psyduck:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hello, all, I'm just popping in for a moment due to the amazingness of Humungus-related writeups to remind you that if you haven't watched Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior, you should really watch Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior.

Especially since Mad Max 4: Fury Road is out and it apparently loving owns all of the bones.

That is your schilling shilling quota for today. Look forward to either the Toronto Transistors or the Paradigm City Dome Crushers sometime this coming Expansion Cup!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Mad Max Fury Road is loving amazing and you should see it ASAP.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
pick em

everybody holds on to their titles

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Monathin posted:

Toronto Transistors

Smasher, what is your hourly rate to represent someone in a gimmick infringement suit?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

DannoMack posted:

Smasher, what is your hourly rate to represent someone in a gimmick infringement suit?

You never copyrighted a gimmick based around Supergiant games.

To be fair, Monathin SHOULD be the TOLEDO Transistors given his Ohioan nature.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Sub-Par League IV, Week 8: Death to all Cardinals Forever

Games of the Weak

Frank Gaiman posted:

MOUNTIES PLUCK DRAGONFLIES' WINGS, IS THERE NO END TO THEIR TERROR?

Oh, Canada! Leave us alone!

Virtually everyone picked the Mounties to win their division and promote to the Super League this year, despite the fact the other 3 teams in their division are managed by cool dudes undeserving of a Gauntlet fate. When Canada first baseman Lou Gehrig went down, it was viewed as perhaps a sign that the coronation of the Mounties was not an inevitability, and that some other team might make a plausible challenge instead.

What actually happened: the Mounties got mad and proceeded to maul the rest of the teams in the Subpar League with renewed vigor.

Today, their victim was the Birmingham Dragonflies, a team that made a pretty good show of things, but in the end it didn't matter much as the 4-3 Mounties win put them 20 games over .500 at 36-16. Poor Jake Peavy didn't stand a chance. Staked to a 1-0 lead on a Chipper Jones single, Peavy immediately gave up 3 runs in the bottom of the 1st, with a B. abe Ruth single yielding the go-ahead run.

From there, Cy Young--and I'm not even sure which one it was because the Mounties have three Cys Young what the hell--went to work. He held the Dragonflies scoreless for the next 6 innings, running into trouble only in the 4th when Todd Helton and Troy Tulowitzki led off with singles. But Young coaxed a short flyout from Joe Torre, an infield popup from Lyman Mostock, and a harmless grounder from Jim Gilliam to quell the threat.

Yet Peavy, overmatched and outclassed, hung in there. After struggling through the first, he buckled down and began stranding runners in increasingly improbable fashions. Despite allowing multiple baserunners in several innings, he continually wriggled out of trouble and the game remained 3-1 after seven innings.

Young, perhaps because he's one of the older iterations of himself, then took some time off and allowed Carl Hubbell to come in with an assortment of screwballs. Yet Hubbell didn't throw a single screwball, instead serving mid-80s heat at a Dragonflies lineup more than able to handle crummy fastballs. Tony Gwynn doubled to lead off, and one batter later Rafael Palmeiro homered to tie the game. A Chipper Jones single would be wasted, though, as Helton and Tulowitzki both hit line drives--but right at fielders.

Given new life, the Dragonflies turned to Dan Plesac--heretofore 3-0 on the season--to perhaps vulture another win. Instaed, he gave up singles to Larry Walker and the better-than-you-think Ken Oberkfell, priming a two-out go-ahead single by Robin Yount.

With a 4-3 lead in the 9th, DannoMack was done feeling generous, and unleashed Mariano Rivera. The Dragonflies, like so many other teams Rivera faces in the ninth inning, had no answer, and lost 4-3.

GVOLTT, ever the optimist, wasn't that upset. "Y'know, I didn't really expect to win this game. Look at the Mounties! Look at them! Three Cy Youngs! The best I had was a Jake Peavy."

DannoMack, not quite used to success, tried to praise his competition so as not to be hated. "Hey, I'll have you know that Jake Peavy has won the World Series twice in the last two years! That's when success really counts!"

"I'm pretty sure Jake Peavy was outdueled by Joe Kelly in one of those seasons, and furthermore, Ryan Theriot pulled off the same trick with two different teams and you don't see anyone praising him. Anyway, thanks for trying to make me feel better."

"No, I'm not trying to make you feel better!" DannoMack struggled to keep a straight face. "Despite my having three Cys Young, and B. abraham Ruth somehow being a .353 hitter, this game totally could've gone either way! And so could the rest of the season!"

At that, Joe Torre, the Dragonflies catcher entered the room. "It's not easy being consistently successful. People will hate you. But you have to accept it."

"No!" shouted DannoMack. "I'm Canadian! My whole caricature is a lovable friendly goof from north of the border! I'm not supposed to be a threat! People aren't supposed to fear me or be jealous of me! I don't know if I can handle this!"

B. abraham Ruth sauntered by, drinking a beer and looking disheveled. "Have a drink, coach," the words sort of oozed out of his fat face.

GAME NOTES

- Why didn't Hubbell throw any screwballs?

- Cy Young left with only 87 pitches.

- How can the B. abe, the Prime Minister of Grease, be hitting so well? It might be because of the sticky substance covering his bat. And it's not pine tar.

Box Score

The Pan Man posted:

WITCHES MAKE SOME MAGIC HAPPEN AND THE DESPAIR DESPAIR!

Hope's Peak - The Despair had every reason to expect good things entering the series against the Salem Witches. Coming off a four game demolition of the Besaid Aurochs, they found themselves home against a team that barely managed to survive the gauntlet the previous season. Things didn't work out the way TheMcD hoped the first two games, though. The Witches, winners of 8 of their last 11 games, had all the momentum heading into the last game of the series, and Mooseontheloose had his eyes on snatching the European Championship away from its German, and therefore presumably rightful, owner.

Now, it's easy to understand why TheMcD would have been overconfident. The Despair Dome punishes lefties, and all of his Schillingses would have platoon advantage. It's a classic setup. The problem is that Albert Pujols and Hank Aaron didn't hear that they were supposed to struggle against Schilling. After Schilling went perfect for 10 outs, Albert singled and Aaron doubled to tie the game at one.

Schilling piled on the strikeouts, and Jeter gave the Despair a short-lived 2-1 lead with a solo shot to lead off the fifth. But Albert is a scary, scary man in the Super-League, and hit a two-run shot in the sixth, followed two batters later by Hammerin Hank hitting a solo jack of his own. Three singles half an inning later cut the Witches lead to 1, but Jeter's groundout left the score 4-3.

TheMcD wanted it. He really did. But after Moose got Ted Williams and Stan Musial to make weak outs in the bottom of the seventh, the Despair just didn't have the bats to make it happen. Making matters worse was John Wetteland's terrible command. A walk, two doubles, an error, and a finishing RBI single by Pujols gave the Witches a 4-run cushion, and an efficient Chad Bradford made it hold.

"MEIN GOTT! We just lost the title," cried TheMcD. "HEADMASTER! PREPARE THE DOUBLE PUNISHMENT!" Nobody responded, since he'd never delineated what precisesly the double punishment would be. "Hit Curt Schilling with sticks a lot, then do it again." They got to work, joined by the anthropomorhpic representation of the state of Rhode Island.

Mooseontheloose was jovial in his press conference, noting that his was one of the very best teams so far in May and that he was reaching the point of respectability after being hunkered in the Gyros League basement for oh so long.

"I knew it wasn't sporting to curse my opponents...so I didn't! The Murphs were too drunk to play, and the Despair forgot that a couple really good power hitting righties can murder them at home. I'm just gonna save my curses for either the playoffs or the gauntlet again. Witch on!"

GAME NOTES

- Schilling had a very Schillingeque performance. He struck out 10, walked none, gave up only 5 hits, and got only 3 outs by groundball. If he could have avoided the long ball, he'd have had this game in hand. But that wouldn't be very Schillingesque, would it?

- Mussina had a much harder road to travel. He only had a single 1-2-3 inning and seemed to labor to make it through 7 innings. A very Jack Morris game from the very average Super-League starter.

- Ron Santo is not hitting as well as one would hope from the 'quintessential' third baseman. His fielding percentage is still pretty good despite the error, but he might set the record for the fewest assists for a qualifying 3B in the Super-League given how few ground balls the Schillings give up. Having a great defensive 3B who doesn't hit isn't very useful if he doesn't get a chance to defend.

Box Score

Old McDonald posted:

OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY NAME OF GAME AS SCIENTISTS CONTINUE DECLINE

South Boston - Let's turn the clock back a bit, back to a bit before Sub-Par League III ended. At that time, CraigK, owner of the Aperture Scientists, known for hating his teams, made a deal with Commissar Smasher Dynamo: If his team won the division they were in, they would forfeit their ascension to the Super-League and instead spend another season in the Sub-Par League. In exchange, if they didn't win the division, they would be given immunity from the Gauntlet and therefore ensured survival to the next season. It was a deal founded in pessimism, being sure that the team would gently caress everything up because they always do. Of course, the fun thing about pessimism is that you need to adjust for your own actions. So if you assume you make that deal, you need to adjust your pessimism from "they'll gently caress it up and lose the division" to "they'll gently caress it up and win the division, meaning I get the short stick of the deal", for that has become the new worst case. And exactly that worst case became true - in the most incompetent way possible, by just barely squeaking by and needing another team to win a game, the Scientists won their division, and they would stay in the Sub-Par League.

At the time, CraigK was upbeat. His team had been absolutely plagued by injuries, with his rotation being in utter shambles most of the time, and he thought it to be interesting to see what his team can do in the Sub-Par League without those injury problems. And things were looking good coming into Sub-Par League IV, too - joining the Scientists in the Punjabi Prison division would be two teams by first time owners, which usually make for easy prey, and the Cosmic Space Fish (formerly Fhloston Pharmaceuticals), a team that is enigmatically competent at best and usually just kind of crappy. Meanwhile, the Scientists had good batters and good pitchers forming a solid team, and with a first round Super-Draft pick coming up, things were looking good. However, it has become clear that the hate CraigK harbors for his Aperture Fuckups is by no means unrequited. The team hates back.

The Scientists came into this week on a 5-12 month, and were showing no signs of slowing down, as they came into this game with a 1-4 week, bringing the month up to 6-16, or .375. While they are in the Senor Goodtimes of the Sub-Par League, the division that has four teams desperately fighting to not win it, this slide seems to be a sign that the fate of the Scientists lies at the Gauntlet. It just reaffirms that old saying - "never deal with a Dynamo". Will the Scientists be able to stop the rot and at least end the week with a win? Well, if you've read the title of this recap, you already know that that ain't happening, so let's see just how they hosed it up this time.

On paper, the match-up looked promising - Walter Johnson would be pitching for the Scientists, and as the only starter with a winning record, one could say that he was the best shot the team had for a victory. Furthermore, they're going up against the South Boston Murphs, a team with an epidemic offense problem despite featuring several great hitters like Ted Williams and Jimmie Foxx. In practice, things went about as expected on the Mighty Murphin' Murph Murphies side - a fairly anemic offense, with the team batting .241 on the day. The Scientists didn't fare much better, with eight hits on the day instead of seven. And as such, the game ended 4-1 Murphs. To see just what happened here, we need to go a bit deeper, so let's look at just what spelled this defeat.

Only one word springs to mind when trying to explain what went wrong here, and that's "efficiency". Over the course of this game, the Scientists were just not able to convert on almost any of their chances - which would fit in with the idea that the team is displaying just enough competence to avoid being called out on intentionally bombing to spite their owner, yet consistently failing to produce when the need arises.

First inning, one runner stranded. Second inning, one runner stranded. Third inning ends on a double play. Fourth inning ends on a double play. Fifth inning had nothing except Craig Biggio getting caught trying to stretch a single into a double. The sixth inning featured the only time the Scientists actually managed to capitalize, as a single, a walk and a double combined to score a run. Then the inning ended on a double play when the bases were loaded, stranding two. Seventh inning, two runners stranded. Eighth inning, two runners stranded (by a pinch hitting Griffey, no less). And in the ninth inning, there was another stranded runner. All around, there was plenty opportunity for the team to make some runs, but they just didn't feel like it, I guess.

The Murphs, on the other hand, were much more efficient. In the first inning, Dom DiMaggio took advantage of Roberto Clemente being walked ahead of him and promptly scored him with a triple, then scored himself on a Tony Womack grounder. Then, in the third, Jimmie Foxx, Jim Thome and Bobby Doerr came together in a two-out situation and combined a single, another single and a double for two RBIs to secure the lead and eventually the victory. Was this what the players on the Scientists secretly wanted, to speed up their demise and eventually join an owner that doesn't hate them that much? Possibly.

The post-game conference was also cut somewhat short, as CraigK unsurprisingly wasn't present, probably planning out in great detail just how he will destroy every single one of his players. DivineCoffeeBinge, the owner of the Murphs, was also rather short-winded about his comments on the game: "Well, maybe this is going to be the point where this team finally turns it around? We could use some more of that efficiency we showed in this game - though we could also use some of our big name players actually living up to their names. Is Boston known for efficiency, maybe? The guy writing me doesn't really know, being a devious foreigner and all." Everybody just sort of dispersed after that, given that in the bigger picture, this is mostly just two teams that are generally doing not very well crashing into each other and one sucking less.

GAME NOTES

- Not helping the Scientists were the two errors by Stan Musial and Edgar Martinez, but they didn't lead to runs, so eh.

- Mark McGwire, one of the few Scientists hitters actually doing really well, decided to show up today with no hits and a strikeout. But that wasn't enough for him, he also grounded into a double play twice.

- I was kind of considering continuing the JR Leap saga with this recap, but honestly, the Scientists don't need sabotaging of any kind, not even the faux-sabotage I wrote for the Space Fish. I have no idea why this team is suddenly just completely and utterly collapsing in on itself. I find the idea of your team just hating your guts for some reason and deciding to just bomb this season to be a somewhat reasonable idea all of a sudden.

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

Your tanking has been expertly done. Only one more week to go!

Analysis

Oh dear.

Analysis

Oh dear.

Analysis

First place by default is a good place to be.

Analysis

It's looking unlikely that you will get to keep your draft pick.

Analysis

Edd's deadd, baby. Edd's deadd.

Analysis

So, who's replacing Cain now?

Analysis

John Smoltz is making a bid for MVP here, if the Sub-Par League had an MVP, which it doesn't. Kind of a surprise that it's him and not the Negro League guys.

Analysis

Well, I guess you'll be needing a new left fielder from the Super-Draft.

Analysis

Maybe I need to injure that Rivera next.

Analysis

I think this season's version of Al Spalding is closer to what you can expect. Last year's had to deal with the irregularities caused by the rest of the Potatoes. Also Eddie Collins is, uh, doing stuff

Analysis

Lesser than Hope's Peak, and greater.
Not so happy, yet much happier.
Thou shalt get belts, though thou win none.

Analysis

Well, winning through extreme levels of run prevention has worked so far, so why not put Beltre's glove in?

Analysis

Mr. Rod had 5 RBI this week despite only 3 hits. Because he's clutch.

Analysis

Just gotta wait for Teddy to start hitting the base ball. He does have 9 doubles.

Analysis

One day, the Direwolves will score a run. One day.

Standings

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Pander posted:

You never copyrighted a gimmick based around Supergiant games.

To be fair, Monathin SHOULD be the TOLEDO Transistors given his Ohioan nature.

Assuming I don't do Paradigm City Dome Crushers because I made up that name on the spot and it kinda rules tbh

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

3-3 and I expand my lead by 4 games. This stupid team just won't die. Cool.

Uh...evan longoria takes tip oneill' place in all lineups.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

habeasdorkus posted:

KISS HIM YOU FOOL

Anyways, drat, that hitting is saddening me. They should be better! Ah well. It could be worse than being in last place in the division. Somehow.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Hi McFreeze, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to wait til he's fully healed to do this or not but if now is okay can Musial become DH vs RHP with Carlos Delgado going back to AAA please? Also can Bryn Smith go to the DL?

Finally, if it isn't too annoying, can Joe Torre be moved up to AA ? I just want to experiment to see if young guys gain ratings points if they are elevated up the minor league ladder. You can also just respond to this with "too annoying" and that's fine, too. Thanks very much!

DannoMack fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 16, 2015

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
i'm making a note here:

"this team sucks"

e: actually, take what ever the pinch hitting strategy is for my team and set it as low as possible, this bench is abysmal

CraigK fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 16, 2015

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Just start Griffey full time for now.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

One minor move for the moment: Whitey Ford goes to the minors(hey I'm still trying to trade him!), and Eppa Rixey gets called back up to take his spot in Long Relief

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

kw0134 posted:

I honestly thought this was a Photoshop but then I saw the article on the NYTimes and :psyduck:

MITT DANCES LIKE A BUTTERFLY, STINGS LIKE A BEE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DH
Keeler RF
Lajolie 2B
Ruth LF
Hobbs DH
Teixeira 1B
Jr CF
A-Rod 3B
Posada C
Lou SS

No DH
Keeler RF