Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John F Bennett posted:

'Rain on your parade' is now out on game pass. It's ok for when you're waiting on your microwave dinner. It reminds me a lot of Donut County, same style and same type of indie dialog.

It gives you an achievement just for starting it.

My five year is greatly enjoying it, much like untitled goose game. My wife too, she got a big laugh out of it being set in Seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Division 2 is free for 8 hours of gameplay starting from 21st April so I'll give that a whirl. 30FPS feels like cutting my eyes though, compared with the last generation games that either have been patched or can otherwise run at 60FPS on the Series X.

I think Div2 is at 60fps on the series x now, maybe not locked though. I haven't played in a bit but I remember they dropped a next gen update at some point and it was a noticeable difference.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
Just a bit of a warning that gamepass overrides game licenses. My disk copy of Skyrim completely failed its frame rate/rendering on the series x. It's unplayable at this point which is disappointing.

The gamepass library is good though and I'm having fun. Grinding through Black Desert and Dead Cells for now. It just sucks for the games that I paid for.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cyber Sandwich posted:

Just a bit of a warning that gamepass overrides game licenses. My disk copy of Skyrim completely failed its frame rate/rendering on the series x. It's unplayable at this point which is disappointing.

I have no idea what you're saying here. The disc and digital/gamepass versions of Skyrim should be identical.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Cyber Sandwich posted:

The gamepass library is good though and I'm having fun. Grinding through Black Desert and Dead Cells for now. It just sucks for the games that I paid for.

This is interesting and funky. Depending on which version you have purchased it works differently.
I have fallout 4 goty ed and I started it. It was intact and my guess is that the reason is the disc is the same version as the base and you redeem a code for the extra content.
I have injustice 2 Legendary Ed and my kid started playing it- it wouldn’t access the bonus content even with the disc in. I had to completely uninstall and reinstall from disc to get it to work right. The difference being that the bonus content is on the disc- not a code to redeem

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hulk Krogan posted:

I think Div2 is at 60fps on the series x now, maybe not locked though. I haven't played in a bit but I remember they dropped a next gen update at some point and it was a noticeable difference.

Div 2 on the series x is 60 fps and it feels much better than Div 1. I am really hoping that div 1 gets updated with fps boost or something because an s/x patch is super unlikely due to its age but it feels extremely bad to control next to Div 2.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

univbee posted:

The disc and digital/gamepass versions of Skyrim should be identical.

I have the xbone special edition on disk if that's the same one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cyber Sandwich posted:

I have the xbone special edition on disk if that's the same one.

There's only the Special Edition on XB1. No separate DLC either.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Doctor Nutt posted:

Div 2 on the series x is 60 fps and it feels much better than Div 1. I am really hoping that div 1 gets updated with fps boost or something because an s/x patch is super unlikely due to its age but it feels extremely bad to control next to Div 2.

Is there much difference in the progression systems between the two games? Division 1 confuses me because basically every piece of equipment and your character are levelled up separately and I go into some engagements thinking I'll be hot poo poo, but then my weapons aren't levelled high enough, or my armour is weak as water, and I end up drinking my tears in sorrow.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Ultimate edition on PS4 has been going on sale a good bit so don't buy it full price if you want to wait

If anyone is going to bite on Control Ultimate, it's 20 on the MS Store for the next 16 hours: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/control-ultimate-edition-xbox-series-x-s/9p4d0k92bm7v
(I believe the Xbox Spring Sale is also ending shortly, but GamePass is better for stuff unless you really want a one-off that isn't in it.)

EDIT: Fixed link, thanks!

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 15, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/control-ultimate-edition-xbox-series-x-s/9p4d0k92bm7v

fixed link

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hurry for an X

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xbox-Series-X/443574645

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there much difference in the progression systems between the two games? Division 1 confuses me because basically every piece of equipment and your character are levelled up separately and I go into some engagements thinking I'll be hot poo poo, but then my weapons aren't levelled high enough, or my armour is weak as water, and I end up drinking my tears in sorrow.

Yeah, they basically redid the entire gear system for 2. It was kind of a mess at launch, and for a good while after, but it's in a good place now, IMO. I like it a lot better than the Div1 system.

Gear still has levels, but stuff just drops at your character level for the most part, so it's pretty intuitive. There's no more gear score shenanigans to keep track of. Instead, when you look at a piece of gear, all the stats are shown as little bars that indicate what the maximum roll for that stat is, so you can see (without having to consult the internet) how far off that roll is from being perfect. Harder difficulties are weighted to drop stuff that tends to have higher stat rolls, but the actual item level doesn't change. They also made crafting and modifying your gear a lot more user friendly, straightforward, and forgiving. you can reroll the perk or one of the stats on a piece of gear, and now you can even improve a single stat roll to get it up to max. It's pretty easy to get a build up and running now, and to experiment with different stuff without too much grinding.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I've just discovered the game Battle Chasers on game pass. I hadn't heard of it before I saw it but I'm having a good time with it. I'm not usually a fan of jrpg's because of too long cutscenes and dialog but this one doesn't seem to have those.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah, they basically redid the entire gear system for 2. It was kind of a mess at launch, and for a good while after, but it's in a good place now, IMO. I like it a lot better than the Div1 system.

Gear still has levels, but stuff just drops at your character level for the most part, so it's pretty intuitive. There's no more gear score shenanigans to keep track of. Instead, when you look at a piece of gear, all the stats are shown as little bars that indicate what the maximum roll for that stat is, so you can see (without having to consult the internet) how far off that roll is from being perfect. Harder difficulties are weighted to drop stuff that tends to have higher stat rolls, but the actual item level doesn't change. They also made crafting and modifying your gear a lot more user friendly, straightforward, and forgiving. you can reroll the perk or one of the stats on a piece of gear, and now you can even improve a single stat roll to get it up to max. It's pretty easy to get a build up and running now, and to experiment with different stuff without too much grinding.

I just wish they added in cross save for pc to consoles and between consoles, beyond pc to stadia lol. I’d buy it in an instant, but I really don’t want to lose all my progression. It’s definitely was fun, especially playing with goons.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I had one in my cart but it took it away :(

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Has anyone noticed a big increase to the energy bill by having the Xbox Series in instant-on mode? One of my friends saw his bill jump over $20 when he got his Xbox but it unclear if anything else changed in his setup.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

I've just discovered the game Battle Chasers on game pass. I hadn't heard of it before I saw it but I'm having a good time with it. I'm not usually a fan of jrpg's because of too long cutscenes and dialog but this one doesn't seem to have those.

Its a fun game that I assume is improved tremendously by playing on a Series console because the worst part of it are the load times and slowness

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beastie posted:

I had one in my cart but it took it away :(

That sucks. I was able to get one.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

John F Bennett posted:

Yeah this popped up as a recommendation in the app for me a while back since I've played and finished PoE1, PoE2, and DQXI. Was a great little game. Only turnoff was the RNG and Grind to get some of the endgame weapons ingredients

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah going for all achievements in Battle Chasers is a horrendous slog and anything that involves NG+ is a horror show of "do you have the cheesiest cheese strat setup or not"

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

UncleGuito posted:

Has anyone noticed a big increase to the energy bill by having the Xbox Series in instant-on mode? One of my friends saw his bill jump over $20 when he got his Xbox but it unclear if anything else changed in his setup.

The Series X uses about 27W in instant-on mode compared to 42W idling on the Dashboard, which is actually more energy efficient than the One X. Not sure if that's $20 or not but personally I don't bother with it because I prefer playing off a fresh boot and it loads so fast anyway while saving $ on the power bill.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I was always curious whether the average person leaves their console in Instant On or power saving mode. I've always kept my Xboxes on power saving mode personally, both for electricity concerns and because I like to give the console a cold boot too

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have mine in instant on but I think I'm probably gonna set it to power save because it's not really needed. If I wasn't still pretty much housebound for covid reasons I'd probably keep it instant on for downloads and potentially cloud x.

e: Although now that I'm remembering it may sometimes cause issues with the fancy expensive storage card which I bought like a mark.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 16, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1382869762426896385

A lot of these games are worth six bucks.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Division 2 is awesome, the world is really well made. The Zoo is one of the best made game areas I have ever played. My partner, who never had any game systems growing up, could not believe the amount of detail put into Washington and New York.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

barnold posted:

I was always curious whether the average person leaves their console in Instant On or power saving mode. I've always kept my Xboxes on power saving mode personally, both for electricity concerns and because I like to give the console a cold boot too

Standby is good for updates to mp games so you never get sidelined by a patch but rebooting is important every few weeks to fix memory leaks or whatever

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I leave mine in instant on but what I find most frustrating is that games you haven't played for a long time won't auto update in the background.

I went to play dirt rally 2.0 after about 6 months and it needed a 10gb update that released months ago.

It's probably some bandwidth saving measure but it's loving stupid that it isn't a toggle. It's the entire point of instant on mode.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Laserface posted:

I leave mine in instant on but what I find most frustrating is that games you haven't played for a long time won't auto update in the background.

I went to play dirt rally 2.0 after about 6 months and it needed a 10gb update that released months ago.

It's probably some bandwidth saving measure but it's loving stupid that it isn't a toggle. It's the entire point of instant on mode.

I find that if I don’t manually check for updates (in my games and apps) it won’t bother updating games I haven’t played in a couple months. It only started doing this in the last year or two.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

HAmbONE posted:

Division 2 is awesome, the world is really well made. The Zoo is one of the best made game areas I have ever played. My partner, who never had any game systems growing up, could not believe the amount of detail put into Washington and New York.

Oh, Division 2 free trial is actually live now. I'll give it a go. My wife does her own thing when I'm being a big nerd but even she says holy moly when looking at the first game. Those fire effects are lush.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Look at these resident evil village specs:

quote:

PlayStation 5 - 4K HDR/60 FPS
PlayStation 5 (With Ray Tracing) - 4K HDR/45 FPS
Xbox Series X - 4K HDR/60 FPS
Xbox Series X (With Ray Tracing) - 4K HDR/45 FPS
Xbox Series S - 1440p HDR/45 FPS
Xbox Series S (With Ray Tracing) - 1440p HDR/30 FPS

PlayStation 4 Pro - 1080p/60 FPS
PlayStation 4 Pro (In High Resolution) - 4K HDR/30 FPS
PlayStation 4 - 900p/45 FPS
Xbox One X - 1080p/60 FPS
Xbox One X (In High Resolution) - 4K HDR/30 FPS
Xbox One - 900p/30 FPS
Stadia - 1080p/60 FPS or 4K 60 FPS (4K is upscaled using dynamic resolution)

45fps
:dafuq:

Also the PS4 pro doing higher framerate than the series s :mrwhite:

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

UncleGuito posted:

Uhhh anecdotal but when mine is off the thing give off a ridiculous amount of heat through the top vent.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Barudak posted:

Its a fun game that I assume is improved tremendously by playing on a Series console because the worst part of it are the load times and slowness

Re: Battle Chasers. I haven't played it on previous gen but loading times are mere seconds. The game runs very smoothly.

In euroland these are twice as expensive for some reason.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 16, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Look at these resident evil village specs:

45fps
:dafuq:

It has a higher frame rate at a lower resolution. Not sure what your point is.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

One X and PS4 Pro can do 60 FPS, Series S can only do 45 FPS because for some reason there's no 1080p option? And no 1440p mode for PS5 or Series X with ray-tracing on? What?

I'm not entirely opposed to 45 FPS, I'd very much like to see what solution they've come up with - pretty weird to see the base PS4 pushing for that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

It has a higher frame rate at a lower resolution. Not sure what your point is.

lower framerates suck is my point

ErrEff posted:

pretty weird to see the base PS4 pushing for that.

Weird and bad tbh, they should just cap it at 30, it's never gonna sync with a screen.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah, if they capped it at 30 and had an option for weirdos and people with VRR displays to uncap it, it would be the best of every world. Seems like something they could patch in.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

...yet the S is pushing over 2.5x more pixels, for some reason.

Why the gently caress do they keep pulling this poo poo, just let users pick the resolution already. Are there even any 1440p TVs?

lower framerates suck is my point

:yeah:

Storm One fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 16, 2021

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
qine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Storm One posted:

Are there even any 1440p TVs?

1440p isn't a HDTV standard, I've never once seen a set with it.