Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Lote posted:

Japan has us beat.

:captainpop: those are better than corner liquor store prices in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

etalian posted:

A dumb rust belt state in which the only center of civilization is overrun with one of the worst type of sports fan.

Steelers fans?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

GeekTheMage posted:

Re: Theranos and how cool and good it would be if it actually worked, I feel like this video is on-topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGMY63FF3Q

It's a classic vid, and it's aging like the finest wine

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
YO take the theranos chat elsewhere

when I see 60 new replies on a weeknight I start thinking maybe musk hung himself or something cool

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
comparisons between tesla and theranos are actually cool and relevant

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

the tesla equivalent would've been if elon musk went to investors and said 'look, we've finally made an EV that has 300 miles of range and looks like a normal car!' and then showed them a car and drove them around in it, but the driving experience was actually a VR simulation and the car he showed them was made of modeling chocolate

Two questions: do you use the VR set inside the chocolate car, and how much to invest?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Elizabeth Holmes has anime eyes

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Elizabeth Holmes has anime eyes

Battle Angel Investor Elita

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gschmidl posted:

Elon Neurosis Amortization

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It shappening

http://twitter.com/Grimezsz/status/1108246498540584960

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

the thing with juicero is that if it was a mechanism that could easily make actual juice, which is a loving pain in the rear end to make at home, then maybe it'd have a market, but it just takes a bunch of pulped fruit and squeezes them. that's not even a thing!

i do wish there was a quality blender that could make completely smooth smoothies that doesn't cost $400 (gently caress you vitamix and blendtec).

They could have made that theoretically. But it wasn't possible for two business reasons: first, they knew customers wouldn't properly clean the machine, so they had to contain all the dirt in a dumb package. Second they really wanted to sell not the machine but the expensive pack subscription. I mean as far as I understand from AvE's teardown of the machinethe company probably sold it at a loss.

Just like Sony are selling game consoles at a loss and recouping their investment through accessories and games -- techbros just tried to emulate that in the kitchen.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

gschmidl posted:

Omfg thread title for a thread that never was

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I’d say that a pop star doing pro-climate change music is some conspiracy Illuminati poo poo but no the world is just dumb as poo poo and we’re all going to boil alive (and not for something cool like so that Reptilians could inherit the earth again)

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Im very sad that I haven't found a trashed juicero. I could have made it into something more useful like a composite press or a door trap to crush my enemies.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Juicero guy got into the raw water business, which is every bit as horrifying as it sounds.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
it’s green cause it’s natural

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Juicero guy got into the raw water business, which is every bit as horrifying as it sounds.

get into is an apt choice of words

because of the trespassing

quote:

Before he could order raw water on demand, Mr. Evans went “spring hunting” with friends. This has become more challenging lately: The closest spring around San Francisco has recently been cut off by landslides, so reaching it means crossing private property, which he does under cover of night.

“You have to be agile and tactile, and be available to experiment,” he said. “Literally, you have to carry bottles of water through the dark.”

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Elon really destroyed her brain beyond all repair

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Actually abstract doom is my favorite metal genre grimes

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's a classic vid, and it's aging like the finest wine

you know a senior TED video editor watched this and thought "yeh we do do good work!" and continued, until forever, publishing lectures in the style they continue to dump out from all over the world today

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Elon really destroyed her brain beyond all repair

imagine huck finn but abusive relationship with a reddit cult of personality and being born with an apartheid heritage backing

actually, don't

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Live Water, the raw water company he was promoting was actually selling tap water. They sourced the water from a town in Oregon the supplies safe, untreated water from an aquifer. The same aquifer is also the water source for the local spring, so that's how they get away with calling it spring water. It's a scam layered on top of a scam.

https://www.menshealth.com/trending-news/a19546223/silicon-valley-raw-water-live-spring-water-overpriced/

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

reminds of the soylent founder who tried to live without electricity in a shipping container

https://www.inc.com/will-yakowicz/soylent-ceo-criminal-charges-sustainable-living.html

quote:

Rhinehart bought the 8,422-square-foot plot of land overlooking downtown Los Angeles in January for $21,300, the Los Angeles Times reports. Shortly after the purchase, Rhinehart placed the container on the property with big plans to make it into a sustainable and minimalist abode. But Rhinehart did not go through the city permitting process, which made the container an unlawful structure. Rhinehart did not live on the property and the container became a place that attracted vice, neighbors told the Los Angeles Times. After Rhinehart allegedly refused city mandates to remove the container, the city took action.

On Thursday, July 28, Los Angeles authorities removed the red, graffiti-strewn shipping container from Rhinehart's property and city prosecutors charged Rhinehart with unpermitted construction and other violations, the Los Angeles Times reports.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Autopilot is actively trying to kill its users again: https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/b36x27/its_back_after_6_months_of_working_fine_2019515/

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
again? you mean still, surely

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I thought I stumbled into a Boeing thread somehow

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Goddamn the comments make me mad. The loving clueless know-it-alls who try to correct others getting worried about the FSD by coming up these bullshit technical explanations why that's a completely unrelated and still coming along nicey. Like they are somehow in the know about AI development. Literally too stupid to live.

EDIT: Also framing the problem as "it's unacceptable to... change code features without mentioning it in the patch notes".

EDIT2: Should probably the mention it's mostly negative even in that subreddit now, and even the people low-key defending this are framing it as "well maybe they are going to start incrementally moving towards FSD instead of killing people".

BioMe has issued a correction as of 14:30 on Mar 20, 2019

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Two questions: do you use the VR set inside the chocolate car, and how much to invest?

+1 here - already cashed out my retirement accounts

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

it is absolutely insane to me that they're talking about issues with patching like it's a video game, except its a car where if something fucks up you die horribly. comparing your loving car builds is... something else.

I never in a million years want to hear about 'bugs' with my loving car.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

this is criminal

quote:

That is when the build was created, not necessarily when it is tested. Tesla uses us to test their software. If you are new to Tesla, you might not know that. Occasionally your car will be selected by the Mothership to receive an earlier build. About 2.5% of the fleet get it. Then another 10%. Then the rest of the fleet connected to wifi get the release. Unless a serious bug is found, the deployment goes from gradual to wide. Here, 5.15 was primarily given to Model 3 owners and the new features were not AP related. Unless owners notify Tesla, they just continue doling it out. They might not know it is defective but I've read a lot about lane change issues, adjacent lane sensing issues and other AP problems with this build and know an owner who got 8.2 and reported them all solved and then some. I think 8.2 is the build everyone should hope to get.

car, almost kills you, appropriate response

quote:

Have you submitted a bug report? I think you need to get their senior management involved. It’s our lives on the line, they better take it seriously.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

the voice is 100% fake

The 20/20 doc wasn't great, but they did have a recording of her voice from 2006 or so where it was her actual voice. First I had actually heard it.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

brugroffil posted:

The 20/20 doc wasn't great, but they did have a recording of her voice from 2006 or so where it was her actual voice. First I had actually heard it.

yea she has a slightly deep voice normally and you can hear her slip in and out of the fake voice.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
love to heroically submit a bug report as my final act, trapped inside a burning Tesla

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

dying inside a tesla to help send humans to mars... changing the world...

one of the most interesting parts of the theranos doc is when they interviewed a behavioral economist to try to explain holmes behavior, and he described how when people think they're doing something good they feel no guilt or anxiety about repeatedly lying about things because in their mind the ends justify the means (saving the world!!!)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

Never be complacent with Autopilot. Longtime Tesla drivers are the most susceptible to getting into trouble. Remember that every corrective input you give is a data point to make the software better. As an owner, you are part of a half million person army (and growing) who are training a neural network AI every day. Data is king. It will keep getting better, but always remain vigilant. There has never been anything like this done in history, don't lose sight of the big picture and stay safe.

they still believe.

how does autopilot work?

loving magic, that's how

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

they still believe.

how does autopilot work?

loving magic, that's how

imagine a code base of "if/then/else" stretching to infinity

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

imagine a code base of "if/then/else" stretching to infinity

Now I'm imagining a burnt out husk, hours after it crashed into a concrete barrier, twitching it's wheels to the right as the end of the decision tree is reached.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
elon musk made up some poo poo about shadow miles roughly a million years ago and they've never stopped believing that their daily commute is magically training the world spanning neural network behind AP.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Now I'm imagining a burnt out husk, hours after it crashed into a concrete barrier, twitching it's wheels to the right as the end of the decision tree is reached.

lol the wheels would’ve whomped off, c’mon son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
"everyone talks about global climate change in a sad way, but I like uhhh wanna make it fun!" - Frank Grimes