Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

You can push the guy who called in a tank far far away with your car before he gets in, then drive back to the tank and hop in. It takes practice, but when it pays off, it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loud dildo
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
In as Pork Finkle.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

Is there a go-to source for basic info on early strategy? I've played a few matches and I've been spending all my cash on skill upgrades, based on the chart in the OP (I've almost got enough cash for grenadier). I haven't bought any equipment yet, and I'm sucking pretty hard so far. Should I spend some cash on gear before continuing to skillup, or is it a waste at this point? Ideally, I'd like to be able to do more damage at medium range, like 30-50 paces or so. Also, is there a way to upgrade the gear on starter classes?

You can replace individual parts of the free fits, so usually that means subbing in non-militia versions of the weapons for bigger clips of ammo (militia AR is 48 rounds, regular ones are 60) and better everything else too, with better power grid/CPU efficiency.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I'd say if anything Scout suits are much stronger this patch than they were last due to a few factors:

1 - You cant put skill points towards passive shield recharge anymore, making the 40/hp a second vs the 15/hp a second for Scouts/Assaults a much bigger difference.

2 - Dropsuit layouts now only give more than 1 equipment slot to Racial Logistics suits, meaning you're not losing out on slots anymore for being a scout.

3 - Passive sprint speed increase (Only 1% per level but still) gives another edge this patch towards scouts.

4 - Kill speeds are slightly lower this patch, meaning you have more time to duck behind a wall when someone starts firing at you to take advantage of your quicker shield delay/recharge (Will be more prevalant when they nerf tac rifles)

I set up a Gallente tier 1 light frame (no racial) with an exile assault rifle, shield extender, pistol, packed AV grenades, drop uplink, shield regulator and armor rep and I feel like its a great cheap fit.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Just started as MisterCrow. Just played a game, seems awesome. Can I get an invite?

You need to search for Goonfeet and apply to the corp. We can't invite.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Dur, thanks.

What's up with the shield skill upgrades, specifically, Dropsuit Upgrades --> Dropsuit Shield Upgrades --> Shield Regulation. It says "Allows access to shield regulator dropsuit modules" and "+2% shield regulator module effiacy per level". Am I getting those bonuses to my shield or do those represent one of the suit modules you buy? And how do you tell it's even working?

Dr. Glasscock fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 18, 2013

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Shield regulators are a low slot item that reduce the delay between getting shot and your shield starting to recharge, and also reduce the delay between your shield being totally depleted and staring to recharge.

Pretty great to have for a general shield tank. Other considerations for the same slot are armor modules, stamina modules and profile dampeners among others

Crutches
Aug 21, 2005

smile...
Just applied as Crutches Curmudgeon.
I don't have a mic yet, don't know what I'm doing, almost have a .8-1 K/D ratio, and like to wander around the outskirts of a battlefield sniping people instead of doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

That being said, I know I'll enjoy eventually squading it up after I figure everything out, and I think the games pretty fun.
I used to be good at FPS's a long time ago so maybe it'll all come back and I won't suck.

I also work graveyard hours which is why I'm on at odd times.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
LAVs are loving amazing. I'm speccing into them immediately.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

Vadun posted:

Shield regulators are a low slot item that reduce the delay between getting shot and your shield starting to recharge, and also reduce the delay between your shield being totally depleted and staring to recharge.

Pretty great to have for a general shield tank. Other considerations for the same slot are armor modules, stamina modules and profile dampeners among others

Ah ok so that skill is basically an overarching "any shield recharge regulator module will get +X% better" sort of thing?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Ah ok so that skill is basically an overarching "any shield recharge regulator module will get +X% better" sort of thing?

Yes, though keep in mind the dropsuit skills only apply to dropsuits. They used to also apply to vehicles and vice versa in the previous build.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

Yes, though keep in mind the dropsuit skills only apply to dropsuits. They used to also apply to vehicles and vice versa in the previous build.

Yeah, got that much. I'm trying to train up my guy to recharge shields faster because it's super useful when quickly taking cover.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

So this game looks fun and I want just downloaded it but it's gonna be my first multiplayer shooter. How hosed will I be without a headset?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KillerQueen posted:

So this game looks fun and I want just downloaded it but it's gonna be my first multiplayer shooter. How hosed will I be without a headset?

You won't be able to talk to us. Just be sure to enable voice so you can hear us.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

LAVs are loving amazing. I'm speccing into them immediately.

Do it, it's real cheap on the low end and its fun as hell.

Subtle Boomerang
Feb 19, 2010

meow
Applied as Denmarker Switzerland

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

So if you replace stuff on the default fits they disappear? I swapped out the militia sniper on the default sniper fit to try it on another one and it vanished into thin air.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah, the yellow-bordered items on starter fits can't be removed. If you put something in their place, they just disappear.

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog
You can however make a copy of the original starter build, then replace individual items in the copy under a new name.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013

Anthrovore posted:

So if you replace stuff on the default fits they disappear? I swapped out the militia sniper on the default sniper fit to try it on another one and it vanished into thin air.

Just tested, didn't know they disappear since I always use duplicate and then replace the fittings

but then the same militia weapon is purchasable from the market, so if you want you can create back again the default unlimited fit

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just remove the module, your yellow module will return. It's the default module for that suit; it comes free.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

It seems like the militia sniper you buy in the shop is a limited use one, it's pretty cheap but it would've been nice to have a prompt or something show up letting you know you are losing one of the few permanent weapons. It's been a while since a game has made me feel like such an idiot and/ or actively disliked me, but here we are. Still enjoying it nonetheless.

^^ thanks. It seemed too odd to be a deliberate design decision.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

You actually have the BPO (blueprint original, i.e. permanent) versions of all the starter fits. If you hit "Create New" in Dropsuit Fitting, you'll see the starter fits listed there. If you delete or somehow gently caress up the default starter fits, you can just create another fit using the BPO and it'll have all the original gear again.

This serves as a good introduction to the obtuseness of the UI, I think.

sleeptalker fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 18, 2013

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

Man stayed up till 3:30 playing this last night, haven't done that in a long time. Did really well for a total noob too.

This game is totally just like Battlefield, so right up my alley. It might sound stupidly obvious but the best strategy I was using last night was "don't die". Not that I usually try to get killed, but every time I was being shot I would take cover. I had so little deaths compared to just taking fire or trying to be all Rambo-like. So much more time was spent keeping pressure on control points rather than running from spawn to the points. It's nice you don't die as fast as games like Call of Duty, it really makes taking cover an extremely useful way to play.

Applied to the corp as MisterCrow, will be playing again tomorrow night (and maybe some tonight)!

Dr. Glasscock fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 18, 2013

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013

Anthrovore posted:

It seems like the militia sniper you buy in the shop is a limited use one, it's pretty cheap but it would've been nice to have a prompt or something show up letting you know you are losing one of the few permanent weapons. It's been a while since a game has made me feel like such an idiot and/ or actively disliked me, but here we are. Still enjoying it nonetheless.

^^ thanks. It seemed too odd to be a deliberate design decision.

Tested again, if you put a Militia Sniper Rifle on to the Starter Sniper fit, it turns back to yellow box instead of using limited amount.

If I put any other militia guns on the Starter Sniper fit, then only it becomes limited use

Very odd design, why bother giving limited run of militia weapons if we can just use the default starter. I already have a unlimited starter assault fit yet the game still gives me 50 militia assault rifles, kinda redundant it seems

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Finals over, time to get back into this

Applying as Von Vonson

Suspicious Package
Jun 18, 2004

Kira Akashiya posted:

Tested again, if you put a Militia Sniper Rifle on to the Starter Sniper fit, it turns back to yellow box instead of using limited amount.

If I put any other militia guns on the Starter Sniper fit, then only it becomes limited use

Very odd design, why bother giving limited run of militia weapons if we can just use the default starter. I already have a unlimited starter assault fit yet the game still gives me 50 militia assault rifles, kinda redundant it seems

Pay attention to the color of the border surrounding the module on the fitting screen. There is also a help screen that explains this. Yellow border modules are unlimited items for that dropsuit only. They are attached to it. You can replace them with whatever on that suit but they will come back when you remove those modules. Modules with a blue border are blueprints or BPOs and are unlimited, and can go on any suit. Anything else will be consumed on death.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Kira Akashiya posted:

You can stick Militia gear on a non-Militia dropsuit. It's not usually something you want to do with guns, but sometimes you can get away with some Militia modules or equipment on higher-end fits if you need to conserve SP and/or ISK.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kira Akashiya posted:

Those free fits you have are basically special dropsuit BPOs that come with their own fitting. There are several payed suits that do the same (though none run with "good" modules). Essentially, if you don't equip modules onto the suit, it'll use its own "built-in" modules. The frontline suits comes with an AR and pistol built in. The sniper suit comes with a sniper rifle built in. So on and so forth.

Militia modules that you can buy separately in the market are there for you to customize fittings without spending SP. For instance, before I skilled into them, I had a militia swarm launcher on my ADV suit. Vehicles can benefit greatly from militia modules as well, considering you only have one free LAV fitting.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Can blueprints for better weapons be purchased with just ISK? I don't want to drop real cash on this game yet.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

As far as I can tell there are only blueprints available for aurum at the moment. Wish they took a page from blacklight and let you buy blueprints of things you like for a significantly higher cost than the limited use versions.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Filthy Hans posted:

Can blueprints for better weapons be purchased with just ISK? I don't want to drop real cash on this game yet.

Not right now, but there's the potential in the future for AUR items to be sold by players for ISK.

To be totally honest, the BPOs are of limited use. Once you're at 7-10 mil SP, you'll rather cut your fingers off than use the marketplace BPO stuff. Before the update, a couple of items were worth it. But not any more really.

If you want to make ISK fast, run around in Solo pub matches hacking points/structures in a free/cheap suit (you can make a cheap hacker scout suit for a few thousand). If you can top out the leaderboard on your side, you get the most ISK. Just remember, WPs mean ISK as well as SP. Stick to the edges/hills and you'll rarely get killed.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The good BPOs aren't for sale on the market. They're in promo codes or merc packs and the like. The Exile Rifle, Guristas Saga are two particularly good BPOs. Exile's basically a GEK with less damage, the Saga is a STD LAV.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

sleeptalker posted:

You can stick Militia gear on a non-Militia dropsuit. It's not usually something you want to do with guns, but sometimes you can get away with some Militia modules or equipment on higher-end fits if you need to conserve SP and/or ISK.

Militia mods will generally have similar if not identical stats to the standard mods of the same type. The biggest difference is their CPU/PG requirements. Militia having higher costs.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
So did I miss the announcement on how to Mess With Pubbies, or is that still in the works?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

IronSaber posted:

True, but to be fair you can one-shot nearly everyone with a headshot from a Sniper Rifle.

But the benefits you get for not being able to survive hits that a medium suit sniper would are faster movement speed, and lower signature. Unless you want to run around the front lines, movement speed isn't a very big deal for snipers. And signature profile is similarly not so useful on account of sniper shots leaving very obvious tracers. Plus, a sweep of sniper spots will reveal a scout as readily as an assault. Ultimately, the strengths of the scout suit don't seem to complement the "behind the lines" style of sniper much at all. Hell, if you can find a sniping spot near to a supply depot, or if you have a non-heavy friend sniping with you who is packing a nano hive, your ideal suit as a sniper really becomes the heavy suit, as you won't be counter-sniped by anyone with all that ehp.

Flagg lurks
Mar 12, 2007
Professional lurker
Applied as Nyla Cant.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Applied as HARU BASCHAIN

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
I'm stoked about all the new guys coming in. We definitely need more ringers for PC. Buy dem active/pasive SP boosters to get up to speed you noobs :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

If I wanted to buy another pack, is there a strong reason for me to go for the Veteran or Mercenary Pack over the other? How is the Toxin AR? Is there any reason to buy the Veteran Pack if I run logi all the time, and would very rarely use the Covenant C-I Assault Suit? Is the Blood Raider Saga much better than the Baloch Militia LAV BPO I get for free?

The $100 pack seems really awesome, but I doubt I would spring for that one. I wish I could buy the $50 one and get my choice of suit and weapon. Oh well.

• Locked thread