Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

leica posted:

Indy Car > NASCAR

Look how dumb this is

Yeah it's really dumb to want a NASCAR race at Daytona to be like they were in the early to mid 90's where cars weren't 3 wide the whole pack deep and could actually pass one another. How absurd :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

leica posted:

Sure, but NASCAR isn't going to mandate new fences because of a slim to no possibility.
I think the worst case scenario has a pretty slim chance of happening, but it's more possible than things we design buildings around. The whole car doesn't even have to go through the hole, if a car even hits the wall or the fence near a hole made by a first car, that's a lot of metal probably going into the stands. I'll still concede that the fence did a great job tonight, and maybe we should consider not making cars flying into the fence at the finish a regular occurrence.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

All that and Dillon only has a bruised butt bone and forearm.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Cubey posted:

Yeah it's really dumb to want a NASCAR race at Daytona to be like they were in the early to mid 90's where cars weren't 3 wide the whole pack deep and could actually pass one another. How absurd :rolleyes:

It's okay Cubey you're right.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Heathen posted:

All that and Dillon only has a bruised butt bone and forearm.

And concussion. Dude's eyes were definitely going chameleon.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cubey posted:

No, it's dumb to think a heavy rear end Cup car can behave like an Indy Car.

[edit] The only way a Cup car can even sniff "sling shoting" like an Indy Car is if it was unrestricted and that will never happen

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 6, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What I saw:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There are plenty of ways to keep them from running in the pack, but some of nascars terrible fans will probably complain... ever after today.

So nascar has to decide if they want to continue to roll the dice, or further upset their terrible fanbase. It's the same as its been for like 10 years.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

leica posted:

No, it's dumb to think a heavy rear end Cup car can behave like an Indy Car.

Jesus Christ you actually took that completely literally. I hope you're just being intentionally obtuse, else you're just a complete idiot.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Congrats to Austin Dillon on his 7th place finish

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Possibly Chicken posted:

Congrats to Austin Dillon on his 7th place finish

Clint Bowyer dethroned

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cubey posted:

Jesus Christ you actually took that completely literally. I hope you're just being intentionally obtuse, else you're just a complete idiot.

You're the one that compared Cup to Indy, but ok.

Either way get used to pack racing because it's not going anywhere, if you've been a fan of nascar for any length of time you should know this.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

You guys are breaking the rules of the thread posting about Indy.

Do I need to sic Pnut or KidC on you?

Kenny Bruce ‏@kennybruce 8m8 minutes ago
Joie Chitwood @DISupdates says 13 fans seen after last-lap accident, 8 declined treatment, 4 treated, 1 (stable) transported to hospital.

also, hey maybe it's time the auto racing sanctioning bodies of america figure out a way to help with fan safety or something. You know, before we have another 1955 Le Mans on our hands or something.

Just a thought.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

leica posted:

You're the one that compared Cup to Indy, but ok.

I used two races at the same track as an example of why pack racing is not the 'best' kind of racing, christ dude. I am not literally saying let's make Cup cars drive like Indy cars. I can't believe you're this dense.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

also, hey maybe it's time the auto racing sanctioning bodies of america figure out a way to help with fan safety or something. You know, before we have another 1955 Le Mans on our hands or something.

Just a thought.

Don't worry, nascar is STRICT about SAFETY for things that really matter:

Also love the obvious shade hes throwing

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Genocide Tendency posted:

There are only 3 options with the plate tracks.

Leave it as it is.

Take the plates off and let them run 230-240 and when something goes wrong, they kill a driver and who knows how many fans if its on the front stretch.

Tear down the banking, make the tracks flat enough that they have to lift in turns and tri-oval.

Thats your choices.

Option 4: we sacrifice your still beating heart to the gods and pray they stop another incident like this.

Also NASCAR will never do poo poo until someone gets killed, spectator or driver. Remember that it took someone on pit lane getting killed before they put on speed limits, and Earnhardt dying before they started giving a poo poo about driver safety.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 6, 2015

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Honestly. I thought Gordon saying it was like a video game out there was a bit hyperbo....

:stare:

Edit:

Peanut President posted:

Option 4: we sacrifice your still beating heart to the gods and pray they stop another incident like this.

Suck my dick from the back, fuckwit.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Suck my dick from the back, fuckwit.

What does this even mean?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Peanut President posted:

Also NASCAR will never do poo poo until someone gets killed, spectator or driver. Remember that it took someone on pit lane getting killed before they put on speed limits, and Earnhardt dying before they started giving a poo poo about driver safety.

This is the thing that scares me. It'd be really nice for them to actually be proactive for once instead of wait for an inevitable really bad thing to happen before they do poo poo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
so who won bingo

leica posted:

No poo poo. It's not going away, NASCAR has tried and failed so get used to it.

NASCAR has never tried to get away from pack racing since plates came out. The closest they got was the two car package, and look how much crying there was here about it.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 6, 2015

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
bank left dillon noooo

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

so who won bingo

NASCAR has never tried to get away from pack racing since plates came out. The closest they got was the two car package, and look how much crying there was here about it.

Probably everyone, but I had to go to bed like an adult, so I'll watch the race this afternoon after work.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Elitist Bitch posted:

Probably everyone, but I had to go to bed like an adult, so I'll watch the race this afternoon after work.

nerd!

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

loving no one is here either, I should have just watched the race, came to work and napped at my desk!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Austin Dillon is calling for slower speeds

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I imagine he met Earnhardt in the catch fence and he told him to slow down.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

A few thoughts after catching up this morning:
1) I can't believe they ran the race last night
2) :catstare: :catstare: Austin Dillon :catstare: :catstare:
3) Restrictor plate racing is dumb
4) Hope no one was seriously injured, and I'm glad Dillon is okay.
5) Everyone won bingo

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Did anyone use a confederate flag to stop the bleeding of a fan?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

There are only 3 options with the plate tracks.

Leave it as it is.

Take the plates off and let them run 230-240 and when something goes wrong, they kill a driver and who knows how many fans if its on the front stretch.

Tear down the banking, make the tracks flat enough that they have to lift in turns and tri-oval.

Thats your choices.

Why not mandate a much smaller engine that makes 400 hp w/o restrictor plates for Daytona and Talladega so they'll go <200 mph but still have throttle responsiveness to break up the pack racing?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Tear down the first 10 rows (which no one but idiots sit in) and put up a second fence. There, problem solved.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

gret posted:

Why not mandate a much smaller engine that makes 400 hp w/o restrictor plates for Daytona and Talladega so they'll go <200 mph but still have throttle responsiveness to break up the pack racing?

Because you would still end up with the same problem: drivers would still have their foot to the firewall all the way around the track and all would essentially be the same speed. The problem isn't throttle response.

Plate racing is about as boring as it gets. Remove the plates and tear down the banking, make them lift in the turns.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Just removing the plates would make them have to lift.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cubey posted:

I used two races at the same track as an example of why pack racing is not the 'best' kind of racing, christ dude. I am not literally saying let's make Cup cars drive like Indy cars. I can't believe you're this dense.

gently caress off. You're the one that wants a Cup race at Daytona to be like an Indy Race at California, who's loving dense now?

Stop crying about pack racing, every time this happens at a plate race people come in here saying NASCAR should do this and that, it's not going to change unless somebody dies then MAYBE a change will happen. Pack racing is here to stay, yes it's dangerous, ohfuckingwell get over it.

VikingSkull posted:

That's what I meant by "tried" and it was a lovely attempt that failed miserably.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 6, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

VikingSkull posted:

so who won bingo

They were still capable of wrecking big with two-car tango.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

VikingSkull posted:

Just removing the plates would make them have to lift.
I don't see why I'd lift if I could win the race by driving faster than you.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tide posted:

Plate racing is about as boring as it gets. Remove the plates and tear down the banking, make them lift in the turns.

Lol you people are funny.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

That's a sight.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Is it weird I have some weird form of respect for Austin Dillon?

May actually cheer him on now.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
That's a pretty bad wreck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

That race ended at 2:41am. It took about 15 minutes to get to our car (free $40 parking at Target because the "guards" went home :getin:), and we had to wait for them to let traffic flow out of one of the side streets. We got home at like 3:15am, it took me until 4 to unwind, and I slept until Noon.

I hate sleeping in past 9:45 so I'm slightly irritated and I don't know how anybody that wasn't on vacation down here and had nothing to do today got to see that race live.

• Locked thread