Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Jafar is channeling Sonic Adventure facial over-animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

in this new update, we have a whale of a time

Polsy

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
The best part about synthesis is that at certain points materials will just stop dropping (I can't remember if it's triggered by leveling or story progression) so if you don't grind for materials or they just don't drop at the earliest opportunity, you're locked out of 100%.

e. I was wrong. Sorry.

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 1, 2015

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I can understand why you'd want to just get past that boss as soon as possible, but would blocking have actually been useful in that case? Seems like you were getting knocked around a lot.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It's starting to become clear to me exactly how much of this game's plot is going to be driven by Riku being the densest motherfucker on the planet.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

MelvinBison posted:

The best part about synthesis is that at certain points materials will just stop dropping (I can't remember if it's triggered by leveling or story progression) so if you don't grind for materials or they just don't drop at the earliest opportunity, you're locked out of 100%.

I have never heard of this and every time I bothered to get The Thing You Get By Doing All the Synthesis I always ended up doing it at the very end of the game both due to being lazy and b/c the best grinding spot is the very last room in the game.

Is it a final mix thing? I grew out of putting up with this poo poo well before I ever played that version.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 1, 2015

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011

darealkooky posted:

I have never heard of this and every time I bother to get The Thing You Get By Doing All the Synthesis I always end up doing it at the very end of the game both due to being lazy and b/c the best grinding spot is the very last room in the game.

Is it a final mix thing? I grew out of putting up with this poo poo well before I ever played that version.

You can still do it, but it is a lot more annoying.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

darealkooky posted:

I have never heard of this and every time I bothered to get The Thing You Get By Doing All the Synthesis I always ended up doing it at the very end of the game both due to being lazy and b/c the best grinding spot is the very last room in the game.

I checked GameFaqs and I just remembered wrong. My bad. :v:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

You don't have to see the first Pinocchio scene here, so if you don't everyone just knows who he is without really meeting him before.

Also this is the worst designed world in the game. Outside of the first area everything looks the same and is annoying to navigate. At least most other worlds are only one of the two.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pinocchio wouldn't shut up during that fight.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Color Printer posted:

It's starting to become clear to me exactly how much of this game's plot is going to be driven by Riku being the densest motherfucker on the planet.

kh1 really takes the whole 'everyone nearly runs into each other all the time except they don't and just barely miss it and also riku is loving stupid' thing to the limit

also monstro really goddamn sucks

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I dunno, I dig monstro. I understand the complaints that it's just a small maze where you just run in circles and fight people, but the combat is fun and the music/visuals in this level are cool and the game doesn't really try combat in non-flat areas anywhere else so it's a neat change of pace.

Anyway, if you do hate this level so much you only have to do half of it. After you get high jump you can just board your ship and leave with zero consequences (you even get different cutscenes if you decide to come back and finish this level way way later after some other stuff happens).

e: now that I think about it I'm pretty sure you can actually just straight up skip this entire level and ignore high jump, although that would make the second half of the game way more annoying because while it doesn't ever require it it sure does expect you have it

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 1, 2015

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

darealkooky posted:

e: now that I think about it I'm pretty sure you can actually just straight up skip this entire level and ignore high jump, although that would make the second half of the game way more annoying because while it doesn't ever require it it sure does expect you have it

You can ignore this level until after Maleficent is dead, come back to finish it and get a completely different set of cutscenes. They don't make nearly as much sense, and it's really clear that they expected you to do Monstro first, but they're there.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Blastinus posted:

I can understand why you'd want to just get past that boss as soon as possible, but would blocking have actually been useful in that case? Seems like you were getting knocked around a lot.

well i kinda suck at this boss to be entirely honest, never really figured out good timing to hit him and then be able to dodge his attacks well.

Color Printer posted:

"Sora, Let's Play" -Riku, 2002

darealkooky posted:

Final Mix adds in a lot of genuinely super loving tough unique encounters like the fastest shell game in the world that have their own unique materials. On top of that all of these encounters have a spawn rate, so you gotta walk in and outta rooms and I'm also pretty sure even if you do beat their hard as poo poo gimmicks the material doesn't have a 100 percent chance of spawning. You will need to do these gimmick battles each multiple times too because can't craft with just one of this weird material!

bobjr posted:

You don't have to see the first Pinocchio scene here, so if you don't everyone just knows who he is without really meeting him before.

Also this is the worst designed world in the game. Outside of the first area everything looks the same and is annoying to navigate. At least most other worlds are only one of the two.

i'm not that big a fan of monstro but i wouldn't call it the worst designed world though. it's a real bitch when going treasure collecting though, because it loves to just spawn dozens of enemies ya gotta deal with first.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the idea of running around inside Monstro is really cool but I feel like Pleasure Island would've ultimately made a better level

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Color Printer posted:

Sora's trying his best to keep up though in the "dense motherfucker" contest. Like, Riku is spouting all this dumb poo poo about how Sora cares more about the keyblade and his new friends than finding Kairi, and Sora's response is to stare blankly for a while... then wield his keyblade defensively and ask about Pinocchio. Their entire plot could be solved by them just talking to each other.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm like 99% certain you can do that dazed attack-the-head moment in the first fight, just without the black jewel. Just attack the body enough for chip damage, the head folds downwards, you can get in a couple combos. It takes slightly longer but you can dodge way easier since you aren't already in the air.

The second fight went exactly as my fights always went, although you didn't loving cast aero like a proud mode scrub who doesn't use the most broken spell in the game

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Their entire plot could be solved by them just talking to each other.

And kissing. Don't forget the kissing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"I'm gonna name the ship Highwind. What will you name it?"

"SoraxRiku"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So far, Riku's taken the lovestruck teenager trope to idiotic extremes, and I don't even know what comes next, so it's bound to get better.

darealkooky posted:

I dunno, I dig monstro. I understand the complaints that it's just a small maze where you just run in circles and fight people, but the combat is fun
I've never played this game or seen any LPs of it until this one, but that first boss fight is annoying and repetitive and you have Pinocchio screaming every five seconds, so I'm gonna beg to differ on this one. At least most of the minor fights are optional.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Y-Hat posted:

I've never played this game or seen any LPs of it until this one, but that first boss fight is annoying and repetitive and you have Pinocchio screaming every five seconds, so I'm gonna beg to differ on this one. At least most of the minor fights are optional.

If npcs screaming annoying things at you constantly during boss fights is a deal breaker (and let me be clear; I in no way mean to imply that's not a reasonable position to hold) then you should definitely never play this game or it's sequel.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ChorpSaway posted:

And kissing. Don't forget the kissing.

Riku said the star fruit intertwines the destinies of those who share it...and Sora never realized he gave it to him :(

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

This series gets pretty gay, yeah. Even in the first game the seeds are planted. It's clear that Sora cares way more about Riku than Kairi.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And yet the fandom back in the day still had this vehement hatred of Kairi for getting in the way of that, despite her really being a nonpresence in the series.

Fandoms are weird.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

yo this is actually getting close to like weird shipping territory, so imma tell ya guys to quit it and also ban chorps from ever shitposting or speaking in any way ever again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

yo this is actually getting close to like weird shipping territory, so imma tell ya guys to quit it and also ban chorps from ever or in any way ever again.

Probably for the best.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Let's talk about how Kingdom Hearts was almost an animated series!

Did You Know Gaming did a new KH video today, and they talked about how soon after KH1 was released, Disney got one of their storyboard artists to do an animatic pitch for a possible series. After playing the game, he came up with his own interpretation of Agrabah, and he even planned to use the original background art from the movie, not only to save money but to make it authentic. Despite the pilot testing well with audiences, the series never came to be due to the artist's vision differing significantly from the game, and Square was already planning to make KH2, and wanted the series to remain consistent.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

If npcs screaming annoying things at you constantly during boss fights is a deal breaker (and let me be clear; I in no way mean to imply that's not a reasonable position to hold) then you should definitely never play this game or it's sequel.
It manages to get worse than that fight? Wow.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Y-Hat posted:

*snip*

[Don't talk about future game stuff! -Jordan]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 3, 2015

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

Y-Hat posted:

*snip*

[Don't talk about future game stuff, even in spoiler tags! -Jordan]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 3, 2015

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

I don't think it ever gets anywhere near that bad again in the first game (IE the only good one) outside of the general Annoying Cartoon Voices screaming in pain every single fight which ends up blurring into the background after a while

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can't wait to judge for myself. In spite of the cheesiness, the subpar music, the plot that (so far) is advanced by the stupidity of other characters, and some questionable design decisions with the worlds, I can see why KH1 gained a following. It's pretty charming in spite of all of that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

I can't wait to judge for myself. In spite of the cheesiness, the subpar music, the plot that (so far) is advanced by the stupidity of other characters, and some questionable design decisions with the worlds, I can see why KH1 gained a following. It's pretty charming in spite of all of that.

*snip*

[Please don't talk about things that haven't been covered in the LP yet. -Jordan]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 4, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

*snip*

[Please don't talk about things that haven't been covered in the LP yet. -Jordan]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 4, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

*snip*

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 4, 2015

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

1. No spoilers. Please don't do that coy "nudge nudge" poo poo either. If content hasn't been shown in a video don't talk about it!
2. Don't talk about other games in the series either. This is an extension of the first rule but I honestly feel it needs to be said either way.

Please, let's not get too deep into other games territory. Let's judge this game on its own merits and not the merits of other video games that came after it. In fact we can pretend it's 2002 and this is a brand new game that has the potential to spawn a franchise.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

this has been happening a lot lately so just to be sure i'm gonna close the thread until next update

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

alright, opening thread up again for a brand new cup video!

Polsy

hope you all enjoy!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Leon and Yuffie aren't hard, but are good examples of knowing when to block and expect certain moves. It's been awhile since I've played on Normal, so I don't know how much easier they get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't even remember, do the keyblades ever present any sort of choice in that you might want to use one over the other or is it just a straight progression with the occasional outlier from some side poo poo that you might not even need once you get it?

• Locked thread