Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

Good luck.

But seriously, if they aren't out of your price range I would highly recommend getting bleacher seats. Just arrive early and you'll be able to sit together the whole game, try and grab a front row bench. Bleachers are my favourite place to sit in the whole park and everyone is pretty friendly out there.
Well stubhub currently has some in the upper infield for a few bucks less than the bleachers so I may just jump on that.

$100+ for bleacher seats seems insane to me but I guess That's Cub

StubHub is being a bit weird now. It says 3 seats and then says they are "Seats together between 5 and 8" but 5-8 would be four seats. Maybe this section is just missing one? Or there's a pole where seat 6 or 7 should be?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Well stubhub currently has some in the upper infield for a few bucks less than the bleachers so I may just jump on that.

Now you know why I haven't been to a game yet this year!

Buying tickets last minute to the Cubs this season is going to be rough, doubly so for a series vs the Brewers who they're chasing for 1st place.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Its the Bucs but they're still in the division so I presume it's a draw, plus it's Saturday

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Its the Bucs but they're still in the division so I presume it's a draw, plus it's Saturday

Oh right, tomorrow is just a make up game vs the Brewers.

Yeah any weekend game is bonkers this year, doesn't matter who they're playing.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
inventory is way low, pre-season sales were big, especially for summer weekend matchups between two teams that were expected to be competitive

I'm a little surprised it's not much better on Stubhub but they have leverage when the box office is this low.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The joys of being big market defending World Series champions playing in a stadium that only seats 40k

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Popete posted:

Oh right, tomorrow is just a make up game vs the Brewers.

Yeah any weekend game is bonkers this year, doesn't matter who they're playing.

A bullshit makeup game so the Cubs bullpen could rest.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Rays are not offering their 1st round supplemental pick a contract, making him a free agent. I guess his physical was not good, but this is very rare. They will not receive compensation next year since no contract was offered.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Hand Row posted:

A bullshit makeup game so the Cubs bullpen could rest.

This picture was taken 2 hours before gametime, when the park was supposed to open:

If they open the park and the game is canceled, it ends up costing the team a TON of money, much more than if they cancel the game before opening the stadium. Ignoring the fact that the weather was obviously really lovely when the park was supposed to open based on the above picture, canceling the game before the park opened was much more of a financial decision than a "bullpen needs rest" decision.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Julio Cruz posted:

While it's true that LoMo has more homers I don't think many people would choose to watch him in the HRD over Sanchez.

I understand the reason is strictly "because Sanchez is a Yankee", but LoMo has almost twice as many home runs this season, plays for a team in the same state as where the all star game is taking place, and played for the team that is hosting the all star game for 4 years. Several of the other players in the HRD this year are getting in strictly because of their home run totals this year and not because they're known for their home runs in their careers.

I don't think anyone cares to see Blackmon or Moose in there either, but at least they've played more than 100 career games and don't already have another player representing their team in the derby that people actually want to see.

My only Wrigley story is I paid $80 for a standing room only ticket to see a random Cubs/Cards game on a Wednesday night in the middle of July or August. Wasn't a star pitching matchup or anything either.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I've found the best way to get great Cubs seats is to fall in love with someone who ends up getting a job in their front office. :kimchi:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rays are going to get another comp pick next year, my bad

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

StubHub is being a bit weird now. It says 3 seats and then says they are "Seats together between 5 and 8" but 5-8 would be four seats. Maybe this section is just missing one? Or there's a pole where seat 6 or 7 should be?

I dunno if there's enough time to get the tickets, but hit up vividseats.com, it's kind of StubHub Jr and you can find some good deals.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

bawfuls posted:

That just means it's a block of four, but the seller will sell them individually. Your seats will be together out of that block.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Rays are not offering their 1st round supplemental pick a contract, making him a free agent. I guess his physical was not good, but this is very rare. They will not receive compensation next year since no contract was offered.

Could they have not offered him 10 bucks and a hot dog or something they know he wouldn't take in order to have a contract "offered"? Or is there a minimum?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

CUBS POSTERS

I'll be in Chicago visiting an old friend this weekend and we are planning to catch the game on Saturday. Judging by stubhub I maybe should have bought tickets a few weeks ago.

What is the best way for three of us to get seats that aren't behind a support post or laughably expensive at this point? Three is like the worst number of seats to look for so I'm not optimistic.

wrigley is really small so the front part of the upper deck are pretty decent seats, beware of sitting in the back of the lower deck because you can get poled pretty easily, and it doesn't really matter because you need a loving mortgage to buy cubs tickets this year

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Could they have not offered him 10 bucks and a hot dog or something they know he wouldn't take in order to have a contract "offered"? Or is there a minimum?

I'd play for the Rays on this contract, on the condition that the hot dog could be loaded up with plenty of homestyle fixins'

If it's just a plain dog w/ ketchup or something then the deal is off

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

Good luck.

But seriously, if they aren't out of your price range I would highly recommend getting bleacher seats. Just arrive early and you'll be able to sit together the whole game, try and grab a front row bench. Bleachers are my favourite place to sit in the whole park and everyone is pretty friendly out there.

Yeah, when all else fails just get bleacher seats. Although since it's not a night game it doesn't have the same impact. As long as you aren't sitting really far back in the lower level there aren't a lot of bad seats. It's a small park so everything feels closer than at other stadiums.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/CarrieMuskat/status/882743717660164096

uhhh believe you made a typo there, carrie

even if you change that to game 7, it's still wrong. the cubs beat the red sox in late april. still not a great thing, but...

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 6, 2017

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I think there is a minimum that is determined based on the slot amount. I think the Astros bailed on Aiken's deal a few years ago and offered the minimum that would let them get a draft pick the following year instead.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Abel Wingnut posted:

even if you change that to game 7, it's still wrong. the cubs beat the red sox in late april. still not a great thing, but...

2017 cubs in a tweet then?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

Think she meant home game.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I've found the best way to get great Cubs seats is to fall in love with someone who ends up getting a job in their front office. :kimchi:

But really, how many Cubs employees are as adorable as Poque?

Abel Wingnut posted:

Probably forgot to type "at Wrigley".

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Only the power of "blowing a 3-1" lead karma can deliver the Cubs to victory over the AL

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I just paid almost $200 for rooftop seats across from Wrigley.

It's for a bachelor party so whatever but I will not be doing this again.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Really? Is that like a "You have to experience the roof seats" luxury charge because that sounds ridiculous

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

A lot of those rooftop packages come with free booze and food.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The good rooftop seats are mostly gone now since the new video boards went up. I did it once just to say I did, it was fun and you do get food/booze included. I paid $80 when the Cubs where not good and it felt like a pretty good deal considering the price of beer in the park.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

Good Dog posted:

I understand the reason is strictly "because Sanchez is a Yankee", but LoMo has almost twice as many home runs this season, plays for a team in the same state as where the all star game is taking place, and played for the team that is hosting the all star game for 4 years. Several of the other players in the HRD this year are getting in strictly because of their home run totals this year and not because they're known for their home runs in their careers.

I don't think anyone cares to see Blackmon or Moose in there either, but at least they've played more than 100 career games and don't already have another player representing their team in the derby that people actually want to see.

It's not like Morrison has a great track record, either - his 24 bombs pre-ASG are already a career high. I'd be totally fine with Morrison getting in over Moustakas, but between the Judge/Sanchez storyline and the fact that Sanchez has hit at a 50-HR-per-162-game pace since he broke into the league last year, I think Sanchez is a worthier candidate than Morrison.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the derby should just be either giants swatting dingers everywhere, especially if they're big fat lummoxes covered in custard and potato salad and whipping their bellies around or musclebound roidmen hitting moonshots or tiny little dudes who somehow hit homeruns, no normal people in the home run derby

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

R.D. Mangles posted:

the derby should just be either giants swatting dingers everywhere, especially if they're big fat lummoxes covered in custard and potato salad and whipping their bellies around or musclebound roidmen hitting moonshots or tiny little dudes who somehow hit homeruns, no normal people in the home run derby

So Bartolo Colon, Judge and Altuve? Solid.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Really? Is that like a "You have to experience the roof seats" luxury charge because that sounds ridiculous

Yeah it's including food and booze up to an hour before and after the game. It's apparently one of the better ones but I don't know what differentiates them. I looked on the website and it has a pretty good view.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://twitter.com/Sania90/status/882427082822778880

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
For some reason I decided to read through the comments on that tweet and someone ends up posting old racist tweets of hers as well as her talking about her drug use . I'm not convinced she isn't an elaborate troll , but then again people are dumb

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That came up during the WS and everyone piled on the lady then but my thought was honestly, maybe the guys who do that should just wait for the fourth one.

Total bandwagoning but the Astros rule and I will be rooting for them all the way.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was watching the postgame with someone who noticed Springer has a bad stutter that he handles with a bit of difficulty, and now I wonder how he copes with chatterbox Altuve.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was watching the postgame with someone who noticed Springer has a bad stutter that he handles with a bit of difficulty, and now I wonder how he copes with chatterbox Altuve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNHcob3oJg

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/CarrieMuskat/status/882718839846338560

V: Ignoring the obvious "Lackey suffering from chronic face planting" pun, I'm all for the Cubs putting him on the DL for a bit when Hendricks is back after the ASB to rest his foot. Hell, let him rest it for the rest of the season.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Watched the Brewers Orioles condensed game (neat feature) and I was pretty sure the umpire had a really loose zone but according to BrooksBaseball it was pretty ok: http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/zoneTrack.php?month=7&day=5&year=2017&game=gid_2017_07_05_balmlb_milmlb_1%2F&prevDate=0705

some of these called 3rd strikes on Thames definitely looked inside off the plate to me though. Maybe it's the Miller Park camera angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Perfection

• Locked thread