Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Nah god is still rhere if you oprn your hrart tk hin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Daikloktos posted:

He certainly falls back on the easy character gags to pad out his productivity but, as you say, what made Dilbert such a cultural phenomenon in the 90's was the specificity of its subject. Office workers would read a strip about being assigned rotating cubicles or getting reorganized into a workgroup apart from your project team to build some manager's fiefdom or the excitement of finally getting an internet connection to goof off on and it connected with them. But obviously the further Adams got from his time as an engineer and the more the corporate landscape changed the harder it was to maintain incisive commentary. You can tell in his early 2000s strips when he tries to tackle new management fads like ISO 9000 or Seven Sigma he only has a second-hand, surface level understanding that he tries to paper over by analogizing them to his increasingly irrelevant experiences - I haven't kept up with the strip but I can only imagine his poor grasp on the nuances of open-plan floorspace or agile development. So he could either give up on being a relevant satirist with #1 bestselling pop philosophy books under his belt or he could transition to the field where he was still vital - being an early-internet blogger. And as a result, instead of only being thought about these days by used bookstore patrons and people flipping through Comedy Central at 1 am he gets invited on Fox News to discuss the nuclear crisis in North Korea.

i feel like the comic "retail" captures the energy of early Dilbert with a much more modern perspective (also millennials only wish they could work in a lovely office)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

JK Fresco posted:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Rutibex posted:

i feel like the comic "retail" captures the energy of early Dilbert with a much more modern perspective (also millennials only wish they could work in a lovely office)

who wants this

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Inept posted:

who wants this

They really just want a salary, benefits, and to be able to sit down at work.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i meant who wants early dilbert back

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Inept posted:

i meant who wants early dilbert back

Scott Adams's hairline?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Didnt he have an incredibly racist nation of dudes living in mud that the company had to visit and work with?

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

FoolyCharged posted:

Didnt he have an incredibly racist nation of dudes living in mud that the company had to visit and work with?

How is that racist

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Googled it. And nope, definitely nothing problematic about these guys

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
They're at least ambiguously racial

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Adams claims he invented that fictional nation so he could play to and mock American stereotypes about foreigners being poor people who live in mud huts without offending an actual country's population.

Whether that is, in itself, a bad thing I leave up to y'all. Yep, it probably is.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

He probably thought that Team America's "Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad" scenes were intelligent satire, and not just a one liner for guys with lifted trucks to shout for nearly two decades after the film's release.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Adams claims he invented that fictional nation so he could play to and mock American stereotypes about foreigners being poor people who live in mud huts without offending an actual country's population.

Whether that is, in itself, a bad thing I leave up to y'all. Yep, it probably is.

In one of the anniversary collection books with his commentary, he wrote along the lines of, "The Elbonians are a satire of how some Americans view the rest of the world, because I've talked to some people who really do tend to think that people who live in countries where they don't have cable TV also live in shacks surrounded by mud and poverty." Maybe, but he also depicts them as hopeless, totally rear end-backward semi-cavemen with no understanding of economics or technology ("Tomorrow, I get to pretend to be the computer!"), and this was a gag he came up with at his peak and prime, so...let's talk about the gulf between intent and execution.

To be fair, it's very similar to what Sacha Baron Cohen said in response to criticism of his depictions of "Kazakhstan" in Borat: all the scenes were shot in rural Romania and all of it was not actually a jab at the Kazakhs, it's a jab at anyone who presumes a country they don't know anything about isn't also a first-world country with plenty of wealth and culture. In reality Kazakhstan is flush with oil money, Borat was based on a bigoted Russian doctor Cohen met on vacation, and no one in the world drinks horse piss, so Cohen's view is "Ha ha ha at anyone who doesn't know that and thinks Borat is what a "foreigner" actually is like." (Except of course ignorance and slanderous trolling really are things that go together...)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, if the elbonians weren't actually incompetent nitwits or if there was any indication that viewing them as "primitives" or whatever was wrong, he could make that point.

But he didn't. So instead the world sees a really derogatory portrayal of the eastern bloc.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Yeah, even if the point he is making is "Some Americans think all foreigners are hut dwelling illiterate stupid mud farmers. Aren't those Americans who think that silly.", he still portrayed the "foreigners" as stupid illiterate hut dwelling mud farmers, who don't ever challenge that perception. so the jokes are very easily read as "Haha, look at the illiterate hut dwelling mud farming stupid foreigners."

And that is being generous to Mr. Adams. I reckon the most likely explanation is, he wanted to make some cheap jokes about a "backward foreigners", and then when called out on it, did the required mental gymnastics he always does to prove that it is not he who is wrong/racist/sexist/ignorant, but those criticizing his genius.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Agent Escalus posted:

To be fair, it's very similar to what Sacha Baron Cohen said in response to criticism of his depictions of "Kazakhstan" in Borat: all the scenes were shot in rural Romania and all of it was not actually a jab at the Kazakhs, it's a jab at anyone who presumes a country they don't know anything about isn't also a first-world country with plenty of wealth and culture. In reality Kazakhstan is flush with oil money, Borat was based on a bigoted Russian doctor Cohen met on vacation, and no one in the world drinks horse piss, so Cohen's view is "Ha ha ha at anyone who doesn't know that and thinks Borat is what a "foreigner" actually is like." (Except of course ignorance and slanderous trolling really are things that go together...)

The difference is that Borat was placed in an American context explicitly to draw out the prejudices of Americans. Sacha Baron Cohen uses the character to egg on and encourage people's beliefs, like getting the drunk frat guy to shout about how "all men are above women" or whatever. While funny, Borat wasn't the joke. The Elbonians are just a racist depiction of a backwards mud people.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I can't recall a single strip offhand where the punchline upbraided Dilbert or the Pointy-Haired Boss's preconceptions about Elbonia

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

my blackface tap dance act is actually just an indictment of your perceptions about black people

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

JK Fresco posted:

lets all appreciate for a moment that this is the level of hosed up JK Fresco has to be to believe in god

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Daikloktos posted:

I can't recall a single strip offhand where the punchline upbraided Dilbert or the Pointy-Haired Boss's preconceptions about Elbonia

Potential candidate:

While Googling Elbonia, I found some of the Elbonia strips to be actually funny... :ohdear:

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 9, 2020

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

long live Albania

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

:psypop:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Trip report from anyone who tried one of these?

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

WE MAKE IT EASY TO EAT

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

poopnanners posted:

WE MAKE IT EASY TO EAT

* pre-coated with a water-based lubricant

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Pekinduck posted:

Trip report from anyone who tried one of these?

Adams himself noted "the mineral fortification was hard to disguise, and because of the veggie and legume content, three bites of the Dilberito made you fart so hard your intestines formed a tail." The New York Times noted the burrito "could have been designed only by a food technologist or by someone who eats lunch without much thought to taste."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilberito

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
those retail comics were pretty good. is that in newspapers?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
30 seconds on Google tells me it was until the author cancelled it this year and he's currently seeking avenues to publish the archive online

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i read dilbert back in high school. i even read the book he wrote. i remember enjoying it. i also remember thinking scott adams came off as witty, humble, and insightful.

then i went off into the world and didn't really pay any attention to dilbert again, until this thread.

it is now a strange world of incoherent comic strips, naked torsos, bizarre conspiracy theories, and juice cleanses?

i feel like thats an allegory for something but i'm not smart enough to figure out what it is.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Dilbert's Cave

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Anytime you think about giving Scott Adams the benefit of a doubt, remember he's a giant piece of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/LOLGOP/status/1237086436618162180

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Before you start talking about this deadly pandemic, you have to prove that other people are actually real and not philosophical zombies that only act like they are dying from the virus :viggo: I am very smart,

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
ummm would it not be the exact opposite of what he's saying because we're not testing for coronavirus

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Well look at what popped up on my Twitter feed on a rare day where I actually checked it:

https://twitter.com/winnersusedrugs/status/1237105221332951040

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
Holy poo poo I think I actually played that game a long time ago. I didn't know it was an advertisement for the dilberito.

poopnanners fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 10, 2020

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Agent Escalus posted:

Well look at what popped up on my Twitter feed on a rare day where I actually checked it:

Lowtax is selling our post data to Twitter to cover server costs. :tinfoil:

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Was Scott Adams ever actually an engineer?

I was listening the QAnon Anonymous podcast and they mentioned that he just did a degree in economics and then worked in a bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Agent Escalus posted:

I remember that game. You make Dilbert do some push ups and eat loads of foods including the dilberito to become less than 100 lbs so you can outlive your boss and dance on their grave. It doesn't make sense why it would turn you into even more of a scrawny emaciated twig.

Unless that's what happens when you eat enough dilberitos in real life.