Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

So many new and great mechanics in one go. I love messing with the Minus Add-Ons not only because those extra squares are really nice, but trying to work around some of the more ridiculous penalties is kinda fun and hilarious in of itself. Also Dark Chips! So much raw power in exchange of versatility, I always bust one out when I feel tired of dealing with something, which is probably a fitting attitude of someone who would use them.

I also love the virus ball stuff! I mean, I never actually made use of any of the viruses in battles other than just for the fun of watching them move around on my side, but I went and caught one of every virus because having a big, personal and digital petting zoo in my Battle Network is just wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I love the virus petting zoo.
The one thing that sucks is that the virus chips come in the most gently caress awful codes. And also not being able to rebalance their stats like you could in BN3 is kind of rough. It's a really strange requirement; just have the version be its own pool and the HP/dmg have a shared pool. It seems really easy to screw yourself out of potentially powerful viruses.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Reisen, uh. Didn't see it coming.
Now I'm wondering if Reimu is the Bass equivalent.

Dark chips, with no drawbacks :allears:
Admittedly they are reskinned gigachips but I love Shangai (I could end the sentence here) no-selling the corruption.
Maybe the real drawback is that we'll get an Alice.bat//Alice Style upgrade and they are incompatible.

I think Henchie just got himself one or two promotions. Do we get a chicken too?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Yeah I love the virus petting zoo.
The one thing that sucks is that the virus chips come in the most gently caress awful codes. And also not being able to rebalance their stats like you could in BN3 is kind of rough. It's a really strange requirement; just have the version be its own pool and the HP/dmg have a shared pool. It seems really easy to screw yourself out of potentially powerful viruses.
The codes aren't all bad, sometimes you get really lucky. For example, on my last run I got a Juragon in T-code. :getin:

BisbyWorl posted:

So, wait, Dark Chips have zero downside aside from locking out emotions until it gets used?

:getin:
Absolutely none! To balance this, however, Dark RayGun is the only one that's easy to get. The rest are either hidden, or require some serious effort.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

The codes aren't all bad, sometimes you get really lucky. For example, on my last run I got a Juragon in T-code. :getin:

Wait the codes are random???

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Wait the codes are random???

Henchie posted:

: "Once you've caught a virus, the Virus Ball chip changes into a virus summoning chip. Depositing the virus will change the chip back to the Virus Ball. By the way, each virus can have a different code. The same kind of virus might have different codes, so keep that in mind!"
Like I said, I don't know if it's from a limited pool or if it's literally 100% random, but yeah, Henchie outright says that different codes are possible.

I'm assuming it's completely random, because the LibeRdr I caught came in X code, which isn't exactly useful

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

Like I said, I don't know if it's from a limited pool or if it's literally 100% random, but yeah, Henchie outright says that different codes are possible.

I'm assuming it's completely random, because the LibeRdr I caught came in X code, which isn't exactly useful

Son of a bitch I totally blanked on that explanation. And I think there's a pool because that is exactly what happened to me too, especially since LibeRdr seems like an incredibly useful virus.

Anyhow. I kinda miss Gigas, though I kind of like the concept of Dark-chips-as-gigas.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This game is absolutely dope. Dark chips that don't have permanent downsides is cool, and virus raising is :allears:.

And the Undernet music is good, too.

quote:

god i wish lpix let you upload mp4 or even webp files, the raw, uncompressed video footage isn't even half the size of a it as a compressed gif, aaaggghh

If you're making gifs with ffmpeg, I recommend using Bayer dithering. Using the default - sierra dithering - will inflate the file size by a lot, as it's not ideal for animated gifs.

If you need assistance with making animated GIFs, I have scripts I've developed for the purpose - I was able to get your GIF of the program advance down to 1.7 MB, and I could probably do better if I had the original MP4 files.

I'm on the unofficial LP Discord, also under the name of Quackles, if you're interested.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 31, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's something I'm not getting here about catching viruses. Can't you catch the higher level versions and save yourself the version upping?

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade
No, I caught a tier three tank and it still needed frags spent on its level to bring it back to level 3.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Oh man, I always avoided using DarkChips because of the permanent -1 to hp, and now you're telling me that isn't a thing in this game?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

DARK CHIP CREATED BY DESIRE

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 22, 2020

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Heh, god this game is amazing. I remember spending hours grinding an X-code folder with the chips you can get from CrimsonNoise
and made just an absolutely busted folder.
I'm pretty sure you can get another dark chip right now, IIRC it's hidden behind a hidden path in the undernet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Omobono posted:

Dark chips, with no drawbacks :allears:
Admittedly they are reskinned gigachips but I love Shangai (I could end the sentence here) no-selling the corruption.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

DARK CHIP CREATED BY DESIRE
I spent entirely too much time making this

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Blaziken386 posted:

:perfect:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Blaziken386 posted:

Yes, this is good.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blaziken386 posted:

If you haven't put this in the update, you should, this deserves to be preserved.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Honestly, Shanghai's character being so well-defined sets this apart from MMBN in a beautiful way. It was a constant joy to watch her.

Also, I'm like 90% sure that the "lelelel" is just a translation of "wwwwwwwwwww" that doesn't really read well. A simple "kek" would have sufficed. Otherwise, they do a good job at replicating a 2ch/4chan-esque environment.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The lawnmower art is truly magical.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

drat, you beat me to it. I was gonna LP this game, too. I'm glad there's more folks interested in it, and I'm glad it's getting attention. This is a drat good game and people deserve to be all over it.
I'm not really a super-huge Battle Network fan, all of the games has had some serious wonks that've pissed me off. But I think this game proves that Battle Network is still something that has a lot of potential, gameplay-wise and story-wise.
I love love love Shanghai.EXE and yammered far far far too much with the new dev on /jp/, so please excuse the :words: :words: :words: :words: :words: :words:

Faillen Angel posted:

There are 3 unused slots in the Navi Library that are with other "friendly" Navis, which makes me think Suwako was planned to be fightable. That's my best guess for what they are, at least.

Possible spoiler? It's literally not in the game, but
At the least, she was intended to be encounter-able, but development halted before implementing her. Her face graphics still exist, but that's about it.

Blaziken386 posted:

Two reasons.
One: AFAIK, Capcom owns the copyright to the battle system in Japan. The developer was japanese, so, they were able to put legal pressure on him. It's the dumbest thing.
Two: You know how the Battle Network games have a couple of chips that're shoutouts to the Megaman X series, like Z-Saber? One of those is in this game, and the silhouette of the character was deemed a violation of copyright (which is why this keeps getting taken down from sites like github).

basically, copyright is the dumbest poo poo, and corporations shouldn't be allowed to have IP rights

According to the original English translator for Shanghai, Capcom didn't actually care about Shanghai up until the devs started a Patreon/Kickstarter equivalent to try and finish the game. Then Capcom swooped in.
The new dev (SHNecro) was able to host on GitHub for a while, but then Capcom came after it and GitHub took it down. Then he went to GitGud, and the admin of GitGud fought back against Capcom to get information on what was infringing. Capcom provided evidence (in Excel spreadsheet, apparently), turns out a lot of art assets were straight-up lifted from Battle Network.
So SHNecro rehosted on GitHub with MSPainted tiles, and Capcom hasn't gone after it since. Makes the game look a lot uglier, but Shanghai's legal-ish now.

This is a lot of he-said-she-said begat from deleted Discord conversations and now-banned Twitters, however. So please take this with a grain of salt.
The important part is that the last version of the game before the art assets changed was 0503e4_4. Everything after then should be legal hunky-dory, but by God does it look ugly.
I've got a mirror of 0503e4_4 uploaded, but I dunno how well the mods would look upon it.

Blaziken386 posted:

The final "classmate" to have a unique mugshot, it's Rika's NetNavi, Tankman! He's not from Touhou at all. ...What? They can't all be Touhou cast members, okay?

Interestingly, he's actually based on a Mega Man robot master. More specifically, a fangame. TankMan, from Mega Man Unlimited.

Blaziken386 posted:

Our newest character, Nekku Tsubaki!
...no Touhou counterpart because as far as I know, he is not a touhou. On account of him not being a girl, and not being one of the very few male characters like Rinnosuke.
He might be a reference to some other series (Aura Battler Dunbine and Phantasy Star have already been referenced), but if he is, I have no idea!

Nekkutsu means "hot-blooded" and that headband is spot-on, so I'd believe him to be a reference to the hot-blooded Soul Battler Takeshi, rival to Mr. Famous and host of Capcom's NetBattle tournaments.

Faillen Angel posted:

Also, I'm like 90% sure that the "lelelel" is just a translation of "wwwwwwwwwww" that doesn't really read well. A simple "kek" would have sufficed. Otherwise, they do a good job at replicating a 2ch/4chan-esque environment.

Correct, there's a whole bunch of wwww going on in the undersquare. There's actually more w than lels, but writing lelelele after every sentence would probably get annoying.

For example, the original text talking about the Dark Chip seller:

quote:

ウラインターネットで隠れて,ダークチップ密売してる奴,この前見つけたったwwww
お前らも探してみろwwww,そうとうぼったくられるけどなwww

There's actually a bunch of tweaks in dialogue from between the original Japanese to the English fanlation. Letty's "Is your refrigerator running? [...] Better catch it!" joke isn't in Japanese at all.

Again, sorry about the :words: :words: . I just really fuckin' love Shanghai.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

TerminusEst13 posted:

Again, sorry about the :words: :words: . I just really fuckin' love Shanghai.
I live for :words: responses, don't worry!!

I found the "original" version of TankMan, but I thought the name had to be a coincidence because there were so few similarities in-game, but I'd never seen that sketch before. Had no idea about Soul Battler Takeshi, though. If that is what he's referencing, that's amazing.

While the graphics stuff gives Capcom more validation for taking it down... IMO it's transformative enough that I feel like that shouldn't matter, especially considering capcom has let the series languish for the past 15 years. But I'm also the kind of person who thinks copyright law as it exists should be completely torn down. :v:

Like, I understand why they were able to take it down, but I still think it's dumb.

Anyways! Glad to have you in the thread, and please feel free to offer as much :words: as you'd like. Because as much as I love this game, I've only been aware of its existence since, like... december? and as such I missed a lot of things from the development history.

also dang concept-art Tankman is kind of hot?? :stwoon:

e: going through Koki's twitter, I went back far enough and found posts on Deep Area, the Cybeast Fight, the remaining Dark Chips, everything in the currently empty White Heaven Area, and other content that never made it to release, and now I'm sad. :(

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 23, 2020

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

TerminusEst13 posted:

Interestingly, he's actually based on a Mega Man robot master. More specifically, a fangame. TankMan, from Mega Man Unlimited.

Wow, that's...somehow less cool than if he were just "oh, tankman because rika and tanks". MMU loving blows.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

TankMan is still objectively best girl, so.

I think the stuff that I'm the most sad about is most of the postgame extra characterization for the existing characters, like Wave Change Cirno, who was actually going to be the strongest.

The characters are all super good and it would be great to learn more about them.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 23, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Finally took the time to catch up to the thread in my own run. Though I sure wish I'd read that warning about the stalker bitch fight before deciding to want to play ahead of the thread. Those PAs hit hard!

If you talk to the Sage a second time after you meet him in City Area 3 he tells you why he needs to use heal chips and just what his deal is. It basically boils down to taking too many warps loving up a Navi, which is normally fixed by jacking out. But he can't do that because the search engine was kinda garbage and they stopped development, so he's a discontinued product.

Also, Blaziken, please please please show off the sprites in the bike comp (right next to the metro station in City West). They're such doofs. :3:

Vauron posted:

No, I caught a tier three tank and it still needed frags spent on its level to bring it back to level 3.

I decided to be spicy and catch an SP virus.
It turned into level 1. At least I got the bounty... :negative:

Pyroi posted:

Oh man, I always avoided using DarkChips because of the permanent -1 to hp, and now you're telling me that isn't a thing in this game?

:same:

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
This LP made me really want to play the game for myself, so after a little hunting I... ended up finishing the game a few hours ago :sweatdrop:

I remember a few updates ago, when you battle all the friend navis, you mentioned that Marisa's V1 AI is weird and only uses Final Spark and that she was probably meant to be a tutorial bossfight, and well, she is. You missed it initially I think but you can have an optional fight with Marisa immediately when you get dismissed from class at the beginning of the game, which is definitely when it'd fit difficulty-wise. I didn't find any segment where it let you fight Tankman earlier though.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

If anyone is playing along, make sure to keep a version of Wing style on you at all times. In addition to the neato Dodge-after-turn thing, it really helps neutralizing some of the more bullshit combos the game throws at you.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Geemer posted:

Also, Blaziken, please please please show off the sprites in the bike comp (right next to the metro station in City West). They're such doofs. :3:
I missed a comp?? :negative:

I'll be sure to pop in next time the plot summons us to central city!!

Seraphic Neoman posted:

If anyone is playing along, make sure to keep a version of Wing style on you at all times. In addition to the neato Dodge-after-turn thing, it really helps neutralizing some of the more bullshit combos the game throws at you.
I generally tend to forget Evade is a thing, but I never ever ever get rid of wing style because sometimes the game just goes "hey, guess what? here's some sand, and also, cracked panels :downs:" and you just have to deal with that!!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I just want to say that catching viruses is great and it allowed me to meet my buddy Yuragon3 M who is cool and strong and my friend and carried me through the Yorihime fight like a true champion, after THE POWER OF DARKNESS failed me.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Part 16: Undernet Exploration

Music: Undernet

Starting things off, I found the secret path in Undernet 1! It connects to the warp by the signpost.

And it's kind of a good thing that I missed this before, because:

: "I'll sell one to you right now for 80000 Zenny."
: "Wanna buy?"

I would very much like this Dark Chip, yes please

Unfortunately, 80,000z is just a wee bit outside of our budget right now. Makes me appreciate Dark Raygun more, though, knowing what the apparent going rate is.

...Also, speaking of Dark Chips, Blaze Dragon requested that this dumb joke be preserved in the LP itself, and who am I to say no? :v:

Blaziken386 posted:

While here, I managed to catch a RayCan3! There's no benefit to catching the higher leveled versions, but if I see an opportunity, why not, right?

Anyways! Undernet 3!

It's, uh. It's a doozy, for sure. Much more complicated to navigate than the first two areas.

It's also much, much more deadly. SabeRuff is the first enemy here, which jumps into your area and hits you with a cross sword. If you don't react quickly, (because they are very fast) you'll eat 200 damage (normally 100, center is doubled) right to the face.

The chip they drop is equally deadly, but kinda hard to farm right now - I died more than a few times here. :sweatdrop:

And on the other end of the spectrum, we have the Raijin, which drops the elec version of Storm. Tailwind + Any version of SeedCan will obliterate them before they can move.

Something of a middle ground, we have the ShognWar, the source of the IceSword chip. They move up and down, and when they line up with you, they'll dash forward and quickly do a 1-panel slash. While dashing, some chips like EarthWav last long enough to hit them twice, which is useful.

Finally, my favorite new virus, the Juragon.

I specifically registered EarthWav chips to guarantee an easy 200 damage every time I encounter it. By themselves, they're not super deadly, so long as you know their attack range.

The real reason it's my favorite?

Because the chip does the same attack. For 150 Heat damage.

To put that into perspective, that's 300 damage to a Leaf or Poison virus. 600 damage if they're on grass panels. 1200 damage if you have anger or full synchro. And while you can't Blind Leaf enemies, that's a potential 2400 damage to a Poison type. :getin:

As a reminder, LeafGaia gives both sides of the field an automatic cross shape of grass panels.

It is a beautiful level of carnage, on par with things like Gater. And you can put four of them in your folder. It's almost unfair, really. :allears:

I also caught one! O isn't a super good code for me, and I'd rather have the ability to capture more, but having this thing on the side of your field... well, here's the one I had on my last file:

It's bulkier than most viruses, taking up two panels rather than just one, but a fully decked out Juragon is so good that almost doesn't matter.

Obscenely powerful dragons aside, right north of the entrance, there's a BMD here with 2800z in it! Which is good, because I need to start replenishing all the money I spent so I can splurge even more.

Heading up the ramp near the entrance, we can access the top level! And then suddenly there's four different paths to go.

We're only at the beginning, and I can already feel myself getting turned around. The Undernet is a confusing place!

Top left path nets us a GMD with a little more cash in it, and the top right path...

Is our first BugFrag trader! Slippery, LostLght, and HvyFoot give you a permanent case of Slip, Blind, or Heavy status effects. I'm not entirely sure if being in the right element will counteract them? I know that Wing Style doesn't counteract Heavy, but maybe Earth does? But they're kinda extreme debuffs, and I don't have enough AddOns I wanna use to even consider them right now.

Statue prevents you from moving at all, which is like... the worst possible debuff? :psyduck:

Loner and StdChip- aren't so bad though. Loner means no NaviChips, and StdChip- means you can use one less copy of each chip in your folder. (ie: DrgnFlm1 goes from 4 slots to 3 slots, and so on.)

Leaving the shop and going down this branching path nets us a ChrgCan2 chip. Not the best code, though. And really, you do not want something that leaves you stationary for a long period of time when you're fighting things like SabeRuff.

The other two paths from the center platform are somewhat more substantial. First, on the bottom left, we have access to another zone!

Unfortunately, the area it connects to, Undernet 4, is blocked off right now. Dammit!

As a side note, one thing I noticed during recording was the fact that the background changes from squares to circles in some of the later sections, Undernet 4 being one of them. It's a small change, but it helps differentiate them a little bit.

Despite being so big, and having viruses deadly enough that I'm saving constantly, there's... honestly not much to talk about in Undernet 3, aside from the BugFrag Trader. More Zenny is appreciated, though!

Looping back around to the bottom floor again, there's a BMD with the final iteration of SeedCan in it.

Hey remember when RayGun3 doing 180 (null) damage seemed like a lot? Undernet power creep is real.

Sadly, while I'd love to upgrade my current SeedCan2 chips, the only other chips I have in K-code right now are basic stuff like Swords and Lances. :sigh:

Also, my collection of DrgnFlm1 chips continues to grow. Sadly, only in G-code. Juragons only show up by themselves, so you can't S-rank them for a chance at *-code, because that would be even more hilariously broken. Lower busting ranks can get them in N-code though, which, coincidentally, is what StepCros comes in! ...But lower busting ranks also have a chance to reward you with Zenny, so I have none. :v:

It was around this point that I managed to snag one of the Raijin to add to my virus menagerie! :toot:

Surprisingly decent stuff in the GMD here! Particularly Hakkero3. 150 elec damage to the entire row is nothing to sneeze at. While it doesn't have as wide a range as the Dragon Flame chip series, with some Ice Panels + Slip status effects, you can rack up the same sort of ludicrous damage combo mentioned above!

That being said, I've now reconfigured my second folder to be D-code. It still needs a bit more polish to be on par with my main folder, but hey, why not?

Nothing else on the left side of the area, so I went ahead and backtracked to the middle to check out the bottom right path.

The right side has a couple more GMD, which gave me FireArm2 C and another Hakkero3 D, as well as this BMD with 8000z. Not bad! We'll get that Dark Chip yet.

Moving on!

Skipping Undernet 5 entirely, now we're in Undernet 6!

It has a fair number of new viruses, but most of them are upgrades of old ones.

And, nicely enough, one of the encounters has three new ones all at once!

Aliba, PnlMole2, and MasLigr2. Aliba and PnlMole2 are generally the same as their previous incarnations - PnlMole2 is faster and stronger, and Aliba makes three sand pits at a time now. MasLigr2, however, is entirely new! They're an interesting virus, in that they only attack you after you hit them. Do so, and they'll instantly retaliate by firing their railgun, before changing position and stopping. The railgun blast cracks all panels it passes over, so between that and the sand, you'll want to pull out Wing Style here.

Note: do not use chips like Medicine, which poison the field. MasLigr viruses will consider taking poison damage the same as being hit, and will start jumping around and firing constantly. I made that mistake and died approximately two seconds later. :v: (Granted, I had an Elec weakness at the time, but still.)

One important thing to note about the PnlShot chips - if the panel in question is an elemental panel, they do double damage! The more you know. (Note: I did not know until just now)

Next up, we have Junks3 and LibeRdr2. These are also "previous versions, but faster" but Junks3 in particular is kind of nasty. It launches bombs at you almost constantly, and the bombs now explode in a cross shape. LibeRdr2 still does the "lock on 3 times, then shoot" that the previous version did, but it's now a lot more frantic in its movements, so it can be hard to hit.

Both of their chips seem low-powered, but they're multi-hitters. ChainGn2 will do 150 damage to a single target, and StarBomb might as well be called carpet bomb. The center explodes in a cross shape, and then the shrapnel explodes, and then the shrapnel from that explodes. The epicenter gets hit for 250 damage, and the 8 surrounding panels get hit for 100, and then the fringes get hit once for 50.

It's not the most powerful, but it'll hit the enemy's entire field, and is quite satisfying to use.

if you're wondering about chip discrepencies in these screenshots... I kinda only realized after recording that I somehow missed collecting Railgun and Chaingun, so I had to load an old save.

Final virus of the area is PitViper, the third tier of the HoleSnake. It's fast enough that a good majority of chips won't be able to hit it unless it stops moving to attack.

Finally, all these virus encounters gave me the ElecGaia style! ...But as much as I love Gaia, I'm not keeping it. I want either Aqua or Leaf, so I can thoroughly abuse elemental damage, darnit! :black101:

Taking the right path, we come across yet another skull door.

...You know, it occurs to me that these doors are always made by WWW, or Gospel, or Nebula, or ROM. While the skull doors that block progression, like the one in Undernet 4, make sense... what do villainous organizations gain by locking off these platforms with mystery data on them?

Is it part of some long running scheme to drive the denizens of the internet mad with curiosity?? :tinfoil:

We can access this other BMD with 7400z in it though, so that's nice.

In lieu of taking this one way path and looking around the second level, I decide to double back to see what's on the other side.

Another StepCros chip! Don't mind if I do.

Now we can head up to the top level.

Well, I say that, but then the teleporter sent me right back down again.

The GMD there gave me a KnghtLnc L chip, which is decent. Certainly better than the 300z I got earlier!

While running along back here, I accidentally stumbled onto a hidden path!

...I cannot believe I missed this last time I played. :psyduck:

DanmaGun! It's SuperVulcan, but better. The king of multi-hit chips! While other chips like DrgnFlm1 or Hakkero3 can get crazy damage output with the right setup, DanmaGun gets an extra 100 power for every Power+10 you stack on it, and works in almost all situations.

And hey, my folder just so happens to be using C and S-coded chips!

The warp on the end sends up back up top to the right side.

And right near the portal is a GMD with TanuGod2 in it! Previously known as Guardian. Stick it in the way of an enemy's attack and it'll hit all viruses for unavoidable Breaking damage! But I believe it triggers on friendly fire as well, so watch out for that.

The top right takes us to Undernet 8, while the opposite side takes us to Undernet 7.

...However, considering we'll be coming back here later, and I've run out of FullEnrg subchips, I'll hold those off for another time.

Alice has school tomorrow, after all!

: "Ah~! What a refreshing breeze~!"

: "There there~! I'll buff you 'til you really shine!"

: "It should be possible to fly on this guy's back, right?"

Of course, we need to go check out our new pets before we head to bed. Juragon is extra cute. :3:

Music: In Room

: "Time to go to school!"
: "I hope I can make friends with Tenshi!"
: "Yeah..."

Tenshi will become our newest friend! She will!

You should always say bye to your mom. Why?

...Why wouldn't you? Don't be rude.

Music: Genso Middle School

I checked in on 2-1, but they had nothing interesting to say, so I suppose it's time for class.

Unfortunately, despite our plans, Tenshi seems to be absent today.

: "Good morning, Mari!"
: "Did you get to talk to Tenshi?"
: "About that... She might be avoidin' us 'cuz she feels misunderstood."
: "Maybe she's just shy?"

Alternatively: it's her second day, maybe she just got lost!

: "Bullied!? But why...?"
: "Who knows? It seems like she's transferred schools a lot. Maybe that's part of it...?"

...Well, that's another possibility.

: "There will always be some people who are stronger than the rest."
: "Eventually, the strong will justify hurting the weak."

You know, this might sound wise coming from just about anyone else, but Shanghai kinda has a habit of beating up goons for fun, so.

: "One of the jobs I had involved destroying dozens of bullying ringleaders' social lives..."
: "Don't tell me... Is that where the money for the Link Gate came from...?"

Okay, that's much more in line with the Shanghai we know and love.

: "Time for homeroom!"

To Alice's relief, class starts before Shanghai can incriminate herself further.

: "Mr. Okajima!"
: "Here!"
: "Ms. Katou!"

I appreciate that even the generic NPCs are given names. It's a nice touch!

: "Present!"
: "Ms. Shinki!"
: "Ms. Scarlet!"
: "Here."
: "Mr. Tsubaki!"
: "Yooooo!"

There's always that one student, isn't there?

: "...Ms. Hinanai?"
: "Ms. Koa! Tenshi's absent!"
: "Oh?"
: "Does anyone know where she is?"
: "The infirmary?"
: "Did she get lost in the school...?"

As has been established, Tenshi isn't here. Oh well, guess she'll have to be marked absent-

...Alternatively, Kumako could just walk out of class to track her down.

Granted, it's only homeroom, but still, I thought she was the responsible one of the family.

As anyone can attest, when the teacher leaves the classroom, absolutely nothing is getting done.

: "Wait! There's something on the blackboard!"

Wellp.

Music: Emergency!

: "A suspected ROM Navi has hijacked the school's security system!"
: "Students, please remain calm and evacuate the building!"
: "Wha!? What's happenin'!?"
: "I-It said there was an emergency!"
: "We gotta get outta here, pronto!"

It would appear classes are cancelled for today! Time to go.

:ohdear:

: "I-It shocked me..."

Okay, luckily the voltage wasn't strong enough to knock him unconcious, but still, ow.

: "Wait! That means we can't get out!"
: "W-What do we do!?"

...You know, it's entirely possible that our meddling with Cirno and Medicine just might have ticked ROM off.

Next time! We're busting our way out of here!!

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 30, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Our mysterious new transfer student is missing and suddenly ROM attacked school.

Gee, I wonder if these two things are connected!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Our mysterious new transfer student is missing and suddenly ROM attacked school.

Gee, I wonder if these two things are connected!

We'll turn Tenshi to good through the power of friendship Shangai being scarier than ROM.

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

:dance: Are we about to meet the disco queen of gensokyo?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Maslovo posted:

I am definitely hoping we'll get some Saturday Night Fever.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Maslovo posted:

Shocking twist: because this is the real world and is marinated in Internet memes, this place is not Gensokyo, but Gensokyowo.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
The only thing I can think of as reasonable for why the teacher would head out to look for Tenshi herself is that, as most teachers would get to the school an hour or two before most students, she saw Tenshi come on to the school grounds, and was also under the impression that she was just lost. Considering the rumors that Tenshi was a victim of a lot of bullying and that Ms. Koa actually seems to care about her job, I can understand her wanting to make sure that Tenshi was safe rather than just writing her off.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Magic Fanatic posted:

The only thing I can think of as reasonable for why the teacher would head out to look for Tenshi herself is that, as most teachers would get to the school an hour or two before most students, she saw Tenshi come on to the school grounds, and was also under the impression that she was just lost. Considering the rumors that Tenshi was a victim of a lot of bullying and that Ms. Koa actually seems to care about her job, I can understand her wanting to make sure that Tenshi was safe rather than just writing her off.
That! ...is a fair point, actually.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

First style get! I wound up with LeafDoctor. Since I only have the one PA, I must've gotten really lucky w/ the power up chips. Gonna need to find some fire chips now.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

A MMBN game, except your friends are real BFFs instead of fake BFFs?