Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Groogy posted:

How about that first bit but replace the small crosses with Odins knot for fallen warriors or do you think that's too Neo-nazi like? Or gently caress it they stole our symbols! :mad:

The Valknut isn't generally held to be objectionable, and the context here is pretty clear. Trefoil style or borromean ring style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

AJ_Impy posted:

The Valknut isn't generally held to be objectionable, and the context here is pretty clear. Trefoil style or borromean ring style?

The Trefoil somehow feels more Celtic I think, while it is better looking. I might just take my Bone necklace I wear every day which is the Trefoil style but with a ring intertwined together with the knot on the outside.
e: We'll see what I'll come up with, I have to win first. I just noticed that one of the Fatamids have an alliance with the Seljuks.... Hopefully he won't will be called. :black101:

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 4, 2015

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
Are you using a mod to increase everyone's levy size?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
How about Sudrgorod?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Iceblocks posted:

Are you using a mod to increase everyone's levy size?
No, we are just Germanic so we get a bonus to our levy size. It also helps since literally everyone is Varangian they get a bit more martial and therefore troops. Its all the little things together that mounts up to the numbers I have.

Obliterati posted:

How about Sudrgorod?
Sounds nice, where did you get it from?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Groogy posted:

No, we are just Germanic so we get a bonus to our levy size. It also helps since literally everyone is Varangian they get a bit more martial and therefore troops. Its all the little things together that mounts up to the numbers I have.

Sounds nice, where did you get it from?

It's extremely dodgy Old Norse for 'the southern place'. Like Novgorod in Russia.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Verndarríki af Jórsalheim

Opinions?

The middle knot I don't remember exactly what its name was (there is also a celtic variant) but if I remember correctly its the knot that were made by Svartalfr using the root of a mountain, the sound of cat steps and another thing and its the Norse mythology to explain why these things don't exist. And each of the three knots are imbued with a really powerful storm wind, each stronger than the previous one. Wanted something different than just the classical lightning bolt, raven or mjölnir.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 8, 2015

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Could this be the start of a new Norse holy order? Like the binding of Loki, we are trapping the holy lands of the book-worshipers.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Wentley posted:

Could this be the start of a new Norse holy order? Like the binding of Loki, we are trapping the holy lands of the book-worshipers.

Ow yeah, if I manage to take Jerusalem I am just gonna keep Holy warring like a crazy person as long as the Lunatic Fylkir is still ruling in Uppsala

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Groogy posted:

Ow yeah, if I manage to take Jerusalem I am just gonna keep Holy warring like a crazy person as long as the Lunatic Fylkir is still ruling in Uppsala

wait a second

Groogy posted:

Lunatic Fylkir

I think you mean glorious sword of Odin. He knows as well as any of us that as long as these catholics live, turmoil will follow.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
If a holy order is established, being done so by a madman, I mean the Sword of Odin solely to gently caress with the other religions is an interesting starting point.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

*cough* Erhm, yes of course excuse me! I were using the words of the heathens. For us it is his Holiness Fylkir, 16th of his kin and most Enlightened since Gnupa 'The Careless' who led us out from the darkness. LONG LIVE FYLKIR LENNART! LONG LIVE THE SWORD OF ODIN!

... An event to spawn a new holy order might be required. "Order of Lennart?" doesn't sound that cool.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 8, 2015

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Groogy posted:

*cough* Erhm, yes of course excuse me! I were using the words of the heathens. For us it is his Holiness Fylkir, 16th of his kin and most Enlightened since Gnupa 'The Careless' who led us out from the darkness. LONG LIVE FYLKIR LENNART! LONG LIVE THE SWORD OF ODIN!

... An event to spawn a new holy order might be required. "Order of Lennart?" doesn't sound that cool.

Lowenserkers?

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I like the idea of naming them after the bonds that keep Loki imprisoned. Weren't they made from the guts of Loki's son?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Groogy posted:

Renick him. Fylkir Lennart "Jórsalfarare", and the new Holy Order of Jórsalheim. It can only end well.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Groogy posted:

Verndarríki af Jórsalheim

Opinions?

The middle knot I don't remember exactly what its name was (there is also a celtic variant) but if I remember correctly its the knot that were made by Svartalfr using the root of a mountain, the sound of cat steps and another thing and its the Norse mythology to explain why these things don't exist. And each of the three knots are imbued with a really powerful storm wind, each stronger than the previous one. Wanted something different than just the classical lightning bolt, raven or mjölnir.

I think the valknuts in the corners look cool, but the triquetra in the middle has more of a muddy meaning that may or may not be what you're going for. Christians claim that it's a symbol of the Holy Trinity. Meanwhile the Celts claim it existed beforehand as a symbol of either another triple-aspected god or goddess, or alternatively as representation of the earth, sea, and sky. Depending on what you want to do narratively it could be seen as taking back the meaning of a pagan symbol from the dirty cross worshippers. Otherwise I'd put more focus on the valknuts.

I can't find anything about the story you heard being associated with the triquetra specifically, but it seems to be the story of Gleipnir: the almost invisible, unbreakable rope made out of impossible things that binds Fenrir until Ragnarok. Which I think is a cool symbol for a new holy order to take. An order of men in a seemingly impossible Norse crusader state in Jerusalem with an invisible bond and a vow to protect Odin that will not break until the day of Ragnarok itself.

The Order of Gleipnir!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I can't find anything about the story you heard being associated with the triquetra specifically, but it seems to be the story of Gleipnir: the almost invisible, unbreakable rope made out of impossible things that binds Fenrir until Ragnarok. Which I think is a cool symbol for a new holy order to take. An order of men in a seemingly impossible Norse crusader state in Jerusalem with an invisible bond and a vow to protect Odin that will not break until the day of Ragnarok itself.

The Order of Gleipnir!

I'm sold, I'll make it a decision for the King who holds the Kingdom of Jerusalem to form this order. I guess 700 ducats in cost to pay for the first fortress or something? Either way I've already made a CoA to signify their commitment.

I'm not entirely happy with the colors, I wanted more of a "blood red and gold" feel.

Edit: With regards to the Trinity symbol, I kinda like the idea of us claiming it for ourselves at the holy city of all places. So I'll probably keep it as it is.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Back from my short vacation of Midsummer and preparing to wrap up the last years of the game (~30 years remaining) but also scripting in the Gleipnir Holy Order I kinda got stuck on what kind of warriors they are. I see them as being primarily in the Levant and Courts around in Scandinavia I don't see them drawing their base from the Viking heritage with "going on Viking, etc." like the Jomsvikings did but being more "stationary" and defensive force. So I was thinking of giving them the name Gleipniriddare, Knights of Thor but Knighthood is probably too closely tied as an honorary title given out by monarchs in the Christian world.

I know I'm kinda anal about details.....

Groogy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 22, 2015

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
They could be light cavalry/dragoons. Influenced by the fighting styles of the surrounding peoples, they include horses, but mostly as a means to get to somewhere quickly so that they can fight on the ground. That may change as time goes on, but it may be a fun starting point.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Wentley posted:

They could be light cavalry/dragoons. Influenced by the fighting styles of the surrounding peoples, they include horses, but mostly as a means to get to somewhere quickly so that they can fight on the ground. That may change as time goes on, but it may be a fun starting point.

Gleipnirdreki! The Dragons of Gleipnir!

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

AJ_Impy posted:

Gleipnirdreki! The Dragons of Gleipnir!

Sounds sufficiently cool to me, and dragoons are pretty different troops than what I assume our army is composed of right now.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

A decisive blown have been given to the Sćrks in the Levant and the Three Fatamids have been forced to fall back for now and focus on the Christian Invasion. Meanwhile Jerusalem is swarming with soldiers from both the Scanian King, the Fylkariate holy warriors and various minor lords of the North. However this Crusade has been quite costly to the treasury of the Royal Court and they are forced to take loans from the wealthy Borger families of the Southern lands in Skĺne increasing their position of importance at the Court.

The Arabian branch of the Fatamid house try for another large scale push into the Holy land and face a coalition of minor Lords from Scandinavia lead by the Lord of Rügen. However the Lords of the Realm drunk on their own pride and being sure they will win by number alone make a fatal mistake and underestimate the military prowess of the Fatamids and have a humiliating defeat. The Arabians quickly start marching north towards the plains of Darum.

However the great Fatamid Sultan, Malik the Great of Arabia makes himself he fatal mistake of assuming the Royal forces of the great Scanian Kingdom is the same as some petty peasant rabble raised by minor Lords within his realm and loses the battle and most of his army.

Soon enough the great city of Jerusalem falls to the Invaders from the far away North, the holy city of so many faiths conquered by the subjects of the Ćsir, the greatest gods of Midgard. The news spreads quickly all over the Norse realms and it makes some of the last srongholds of the Cross worshipers give up their faith and bow to their new rulers as proper worshipers of Odin, Thor and Frej.

Seeing how the Pope can no even guarantee the safety of Pilgrimages to the Holy lands anymore with even barbaric pagans invading it most of the Byzantine Empire returns to Orthodox faith with even the Basileus converting because of the pressure of his subjects. It goes even so far hat the Crusaders of Pope Eugene just simply abandon all hope and flee Egypt. Luckily the Egyptian Fatamids can not help their Arabian relatives as they themselves have to fight the mighty Sunni Seljuk's who are trying to take Aleppo.

But to get to their Northern lands in their splintered realm they first have to pass through the currently war thorn Jerusalem. The Norse Armies not being able to see the difference between the Egyptian or the Arabian Fatamids don't let them pass through and eradicate the armies that do try.

In the home front the Royal court have been weakened as most of their Armies are deployed in distant lands and such the Scanian Princes placed in Skotland press the Royal court to allow them more freedom within the lands they govern. King Helge has no option but to succumb to the demands.

The Great War for Jerusalem slows down as the Arabs and Egyptians run out of options on how to combat the Vikings who have come to their lands and in the date of 5th September of 1408 a peace treaty is signed where the lands along the coast of the ancient Via Maris trade route is given to the King of Skĺne-Skotland who now as well become the King of Jórsalheim

The Korhonen family with its origins in Finland were one of the major contributors to the Crusade except for the Vogelius family and is such rewarded with most of the land. Pyry af Korhonen who have still retained his Finnish heritage are given the Southern land of Ascalon where most of the German Catholic population live while Erik of Korhonen who speak perfect Danish is given the northern lands of Galilee where most of the Egyptian Shia's live. The Holy city itself is kept by King Helge as prize for defeating the powerful Sćrk rulers and as a base to exert his authority from in this distant land.

Most of the Soldiers of the Crusade instead of being returned home are given lands and homes in the City of Jerusalem and the city quickly becomes predominantly Norse as several tens of thousands of men settle down and establish their own families and wealth in this new home. They also start to refer to them as Jórsalfarare as a reference to how they have traveled far to establish their own home. With all this success and might shown from the Royal court even extending as far as the Middle sea of Midgard have made King Helge a quite proud person.

The conquest of Jerusalem opens up access for trade with far distant lands and merchantmen and new trade goods has started to flow back to the ports of Skĺne, items such as Spices and a bitter drink called Coffee. But that is not all, a lot of new ideas become available for the Merchantmen of Trelleborg as well allowing the men of the North to build even more advanced constructions. With so much richness and knowledge appearing a lot of Lords and Borger push the King to continue the push into Sćrkland and seize the rich Kingdom of Damascus from the Egyptian Fatamids.

However the Fatamids are prepared and quickly assemble nearly ten thousand men, many of them camel cavalry, in their northern lands to protect heir realm. As such the Princes of Skotland are organized to prepare reinforcements of seven thousand men to support the eight thousand men of the Jórsalheim Kingdom. However they are far away so the present commanders do their best to delay and prevent he Egyptians from uniting their southern troops with their northern ones.

With the thread on all sides of Jórsalheim one man proud to call himself a Jórsalfarare takes a step to ensure the safety of his new home and the inhabitants within it. A new Military Order is founded in the city of Jerusalem dedicated to protection of their home and the safety of their lords. All of the members are experienced Veterans who have taken part in numerous wars and the Crusade for Jórsalheim and some of them are men who have settled and started their new families in this distant land wishing to protect it. The order is not as restrictive as the Jomsvikings but they in difference to that Order is not filled with children of Noblemen of Scandinavia and are filled with veterans of the war. As the King now is in his Palace in the city of Jerusalem to fight the Fatamids he is at all times guarded by a retinue of these highly skilled and loyal warriors.

This order having their origin in the Levant where being foot soldiers isn't the most practical and wanting to be defenders of this vast land where they might be needed at any point along the border at any time quickly they utilize much more cavalry and the strongest of their warriors are called "Dreki", the old language for "Dragons" and are more akin to the Christian worlds Knights than the Vikings who crosses seas.

However in the war, the troops of King Helge are still outnumbered and they have to flee from the advancing Egyptian soldiers. However they don't have to flee long before an armada of longboats are spotted outside the coast of Ascalon. At the same time reports reach King Helge that the lords of Arymôr are being troublesome and refuse to acknowledge the rule of the Skotish duke who conquered them. Helge ignores it for now seeing the conquest of Damascus more important than some worthless peninsula on the continent..

The Egyptians are engaged in Sinai by a combination of Skotish and Jórsalfarare armies engaging them. But the Moslem warriors are determined to protect themselves from further invasion by Northerners and manages just barely defeat their enemy. However new reinforcements are mustered with support from the Jomsvikings and a new march is done towards Sinai.

Which ends quickly and it obliterates most of the Egyptian southern army. The Jórsalheim army split up with twelve thousand men going North to chase down the remnant armies of the Fatamids but they somehow manages to sneak around and appear in Sinai next to the Kings own army. With reinforcements so far away the Egyptians quickly engage the Norse army to try and bring them down quickly.

But it does not end as quickly as the Fatamids bet heir lives on and right before reinforcements arrive from the north the Egyptian army lies dead in the desert. Among the bodes is the Caliph of the Shia faith, he is brought before the King and it doesn't take a lot of... persuasion... to make him surrender Damascus.

The right of governing Damscus and all subjects therein is given to the Nephew of the King. A man of the name Jens Hjalmarsen af Vogelius moves from the safe court of the castle Getinge to the mighty fortress of Qsar Bardawil to become Governor in name of the King. With war finished in the east attention can be brought back on the Catholic Breton lords who still roam in northern Arymôr.

With the rebellion put down by arms force a look into the state of Arymôr is done and the land that rebelled was prominently Catholic while more to the south of he peninsula has been settled by Norse believers from Ireland and Skotland. To defend this vast realm from both external and internal threats King Helge, the Sword of Odin and defender of the Northern Realms declares new laws to the lords of Skĺne, to give more privileges to the King in times of need.

Realms of 1413

Religions of 1413

Cultures of 1413

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
France, Germany and Italy's political borders are just :barf:. I think we need to clean up their borders next.

(Also what is France doing in Tunis?)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Can we get Norse India next?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

GSD posted:

Also what is France doing in Tunis?)

France is ruled by a Berber King who is also part of the Jimena family, the family ruling Aragon. So some succession happened and the Duke there inherited the French Kingdom and that's how it is now.
There is one more chapter left which I am writing right now and when that's done I'll start the conversion process and clean up a lot of stuff.

Its funny though to see that the Swedish family of Strĺben is still ruling Castile but have turned Andalusian. Arymôr will probably be a very powerful revolter tag with some events tied to it in EU4. I love the name and the Bretons are loving stubborn with their independence. They resisted France, Ireland, England and didn't succumb until my Princes got Skotland and they decided to have a go at them.

Ow yeah another oddity, richest parts of North Africa is Norman culture.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 28, 2015

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Groogy posted:

Ow yeah another oddity, richest parts of North Africa is Norman culture.

Sounds like the normal CK2 experience to me. :v:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

The success in the east has given some attention to the landless nobles nearby. Believing that the Fatamids were weak and decadent on the verge of collapse a lot of young Muslims band under Karatay to reclaim the land and free their brothers. Further research by the Royal court in Trelleborg reveal that he is a distant relative to the current Seljuk head far from the mainline of succession with no hope of getting land. he news of this however were overshadowed by the news of great fleet from foreign lands commonly referred to as Cathay in he west. It seems to be commanded by an explorer named Zheng He and he is literally floating on the water of what can only be refereed to as a monument to naval engineering.

With all the success and the plentiful riches now in the hands of the King he announces a Great Blót to be held in Trelleborg to celebrate and give sacrifice to the gods as thanks. And there are plenty of people just waiting to.... join... the nobles at the feast.

With the honored guests dealt with the party continues to the great hall of the mighty Trelleborg Castle. However the feast towards the end quickly turns sour as the etiquette at the court of a King is broken by mere Chieftains in the far North of Sweden.

It becomes a scandal throughout the realm, some pointing out that it is but the latest weak Kings that have demanded these silly things as procedures and proper conduct. However for once the members of the Vogelius house are unified in their opinion that it is but proper that the ones that have managed to forge the Greatest Realm the gods have ever seen that they are regarded thereafter. It is obvious that they deserve to be treated as the betters of the rest of the realm. It becomes a heated debate at the blót about how the realm has started to differ from the old ways as the Norse faith has spread over the world.

Fylkir Lennart since the crusade for Jerusalem was such a success the common folk have started to refer to him as "Lennart the Wise" even though the ones closest to him in secret would probably call him a raving loon. But the peace and quiet is soon disurbed by Karatay Seljuk who finally starts his invasion of Damascus to reclaim it for the Muslims. To ensure future stability the heir of the Kingdom is bethroed to a princess of Milsariki.

The colonization project of the East has been such a huge success thanks to the riches there so levying troops goes quickly and he armies amount to 16 000 even with most of the population of Damascus still resting their new rulers. However grave news come from the north that the great Fylkir has died and replaced by Prince Jens, brother to King Helge. The Prince also comes of age.

The first battle takes place in the west of Damascus but the force is defeated before they even get to move in their reinforcements luring in the back and the Seljuk is defeated with barely any Jórsalfarare casualties.

Shortly afterwards Karatay surrender as the rest of his men scatter. News from home also tell us how the Prince of Lothian in Skotland manages to win in his invasion of Prussia and eventually declares himself Duke of Prussia.

Seeing the magnificence of the Dreki of the Gleipnir order the King orders that the Royal stables of Trelleborg has been neglected far too long and orders their renovation and expansion. Heir-apparent Prince Ludvig asks his father King Helge to join the Varangian Guard as part of the tradition that all young noble men has to do these days. Of course his father gives him his blessing.

Going to serve in a foreign land as a soldier, talk about harsh "college" tradition....

The years pass as peace, prosperity and growth dominate the policies of the Royal court. But 5 years later Prince Ludvig return from his adventures in Miklagard and he is indeed a changed man.... Which his father will have nothing off! He is forced to abolish all that nonsense before his wedding with Jutta of Milsariki is due.

The long rule by the Danish speaking Vogelius family in Värend has caused the population to eventually also adopt Danish as their spoken language and is from now refereed to as Vćrend. Since the populace was now more acceptive of their masers more money was moved to be spent in Pilsborg. As the years pass slowly, the Fylkir Jens the Pious passes on to Asgard. The Fylkariate elect the old King Helge as the new Fylkir for the last days he has on Midgard.

However the old man never gets any rest and it is not before long that they require him on the field to lead his troops. The Fatamids have declared Jihad for Jerusalem. The local levies try their best to hold the invading Egyptians at bay.... but it is not looking good. The first battle seems to go well for the Norse side but soon enough the infinite reinforcements of the Caliph comes to bear.

The men defending their home eventually lose to their enemy however they made sure the Fatamids would pay in plenty.

For the Norse Jórsalheim and its inhabitants it seems lost, but they are not alone. the legions of soldiers available to the Kingdom are raised to fight this invasion.The Gleipnir Dragons assemble with the survivors in Tripoli to continue the fight until the Royal armies arrive. A sheikh is attacked by the Gleipnir commanded by the highly skilled Scanian commanders and reduce them all to dust in the desert.

This sudden spurge of determination and strength from the Norse believers make the Muslim coordination fall apart as they thought they had already won and it causes a lot of issues with supply and movement with their armies. But eventually the Gleipnir are caught and forced into combat. However the surviving Jórsalfarare in Damascus are moving to reinforce them.

But it is not enough and it is a humiliating defeat. Luckily though the Scanian armada is just outside the coast of Aragon Africa.

They make landfall to the south of Ascalon and immediately engage two Sheikhs. The Fatamids are slow to respond and as the larger force comes closer, the Scanian commanders use clever movements to make their enemy to move into territory where they can not supply their soldiers and slowly kill them by using the desert against them. Another Sheikh is engaged by the other army while the other one waits in Monreal however hey are being encircled by the two larger Jihad armies.

To not let themselves be encircled the Scanians decide to go full force and eliminate the other large force quickly before the other one can walk around the Dead sea and reinforce their brothers. Thanks to the skilled commanders of the Muslims they manage to stall the Vikings in Umm ar-Rrasas but because of heavy attrition from marching recklessly to get there in time they've taken too much casualties.... and loses

But alas in one of the smaller skirmishes a lucky warrior manages to get in a heavy blow that pierces through Fylkir Helge's armor. Three days later he dies from fever thanks to the wound and his place in Asgard is surely safe. This causes a ton of confusion within the realm as they are in the middle of a critical point in development and war. Hjalmar decides he is better off ruling his land alone and declares himself King of Damascus.

The Fatamids circle Jerusalem as they hope to find an opening to engage the Norse army guarding it. Hjalmar of Damascus agree to join the defense of Jórsalheim which gives the Scanian troops some time to breath out as the Fatamids has to face a new front. But the fatamids decides to instead end heir quest for the holy city and agrees to a white peace with King Ludvig.

But just a mere days after their defeat the Caliph decides to attack his new neighbour, the King of Damascus. But King Ludvig has no idea what the Caliph was thinking, maybe it was just out of pure spite or he really believed that Skĺne wouldn't answer the call to a state who split off them. The Fatamids now without support from their lower nobility has not enough troops to fight even just the Jórsalfarare armies. It doesn't become better when the Pope declares another Crusade.

It doesn't take long before the Fatamids surrender. Shortly there after the Egyptian Crusader State is reinstated as the Egyptians fall to the Kaiser's armies. However this time it is not a Salian placed as King in Egypt but the Kaiser's half brother Rudolf.

It is a strange world we are moving against. The Vikings have returned and reclaimed themselves as the dominant power of Europe. The Aztecs have attempted a large scale invasion to feed their vast empire in a distant world however they were repelled by the Scanian Kingdom and the Holy Roman Empire. In its wake a new Kingdom was formed, the Kingdom of Milsarikí belonging to the von Marienburg family once the proud rulers of the Romuva Empire of Lithuania that so long held out against the Catholics advances on them until they got destroyed internally by converted local nobles.

While most of Europe is entering what we today call the Renaissance, the Norsemen follow a similar path were being a Scholar and Borger are starting to become a prominent and more common member of the realms making the Scanian's discovering science and philosophy instead of rediscovering. "The Kingdom can not exist on warriors alone" is a phrase that is commonly used but also started quite a lot of tension in Scandinavia. In Ireland, Skotland and Arymôr the practices are starting to differ from the faith preached in Uppsala as some of the local populace take inspiration from their Catholic roots and neighbors. And as was shown with Damascus keeping a tight control of the distant realms of Skotland Arymôr and Jórsalheim might prove difficult...

Also as the wars of Jórsalheim and Damascus have showed us that professional training, veteran commanders, placement, movement and supply trains of armies is starting to become much more vital in the grander scheme's of war.

This is last chapter in the Crusader Kings II part of this LP but tomorrow I will put up a summary and look around the world and the state of it which is why you aren't getting the maps right now. I will also start the process of conversion to EU4 and writing some cool unique stuff for this world. If you have suggestions then let me know.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
What an interesting world indeed! I can't wait to see what changes EU4 brings.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Also probably interesting for you guys to know that I wrote on the Pdox forum, this is a goal of my conversion I'll see if I can actually make it happen.

quote:

I had never seen Zheng He either, but it would be interesting if there were converter possibilities around that!
I will be modding China and the Muslim world to not be as nerfed as Europe. I will instead make a system around industrialization so everyone has a change to enter that age but when one group does that then the others will start falling behind. Also it will change so some stuff like the revolutionary target can only happen to those.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Realms of 1444

Religions of 1444

Cultures of 1444

[b[Religion Overview of 1444[/b]

Realms Overview of 1444

Scandinavia

The Kingdom of Skĺne is currently ruled by King Ludvig 'the Holy' Helgesen of Skĺne, the 8th Monarch of Skĺne and 14th generations from the founder of the house, Henrik Hansen. Interestingly as the Vogelius family have revived the Norse faith and brought it back to the Scandinavian peninsula at the edge of a Sword, the only one of the Kings that died by a foe striking him down was Fylkir Hemming the First, founder of the Scanian Kingdom. Truly a prestigious man and his grandchild Hemming the Second known as 'the Strange King' succeed him and was responsible for many reformations within the Kingdom that made it possible for it to compete with the Holy Roman Empire both in trade and manpower.

The stability of the Kingdom has become very fragile as of late, the Vogelius has started to be called weak in the eyes of other Lords within the realm as the culture around the nobility has changed to being more formal instead of remaining in the barbarous ways it used to be. Trade and craftsmanship has also started to gain importance within the realm as the wars that the lords perform are expensive to fund. Right now the Danish islands, Skĺne, Halland, Smĺland and Belkinge is the core land of the Vogelius family within Skĺne. There is a lot of discontent however further North and it is not entirerly impossible that Trřndelag, Norrland, Sweden, Finland or the Estonian-Prussian colonies try for their own realms.

Right next to Skĺne is the Jomsvikings who controls Pomerania and Jylland. They have forts constructed all over the Norse world giving them a strong power base to defend anyone hat needs it. One of these fortresses are placed near Uppsala and Hĺtuna, the home of the Fylkariate. The Fylkariate is the state that controls indirectly the Norse states through acting as a common meeting place for the most influential nobles of them. It has become very akin to the Papal states and Rome in the Italian Peninsula. The Fylkariate is currently on its 20th Fylkir since Gnupa created the institution.

The Isles

Once the target of the Nahua Invasion it now consist mainly of three Kingdoms. England has managed to survive through numerous infighting for the throne, invasions by foreign powers and dangerous succession plots. The Kingdom has been controlled by the Godwin's, The Ynglings, The d'Normandie the Hwicce but it is finally back in the hands of the Godwin family. They are not the strongest realm but they have persisted for this long and nothing points to that they will disappear anytime soon.

Skotland is controlled by five Princes from powerful Scanian families but they all still follow below the King of Skĺne and do not act as a separate entity. Thanks to them being divided and not being able to unify on terms they need the Scanian King to meddle or else they would be a very powerful foe that would be impossible to keep under control. The Princes have in order to compete with each other performed numerous conquests in different land pushing the Scanian control to lands such as Wales, Prussia, Arymôr and northern Iberia. Funny thing is that in wales there exists a stronghold of Nahua settlers still living there after the Aztec invaders got pushed out again.

Milsariki is the legacy Kingdom in honor of Milsaz the Wolf who together with Gnupa the First Fylkir saved the Norse faith from obliteration and made them all come together under the Fylkariate Allthing. Now the Milsariki is controlled by his descendants in the von Marienburg house, the Prussian family that used to control the legendary Lithuanian Romuvan Kingdom that could defeat any foe on its borders that tried to force them to give up their old faith. At least their saga lives on in the Emerald Isle.

Western Europe

The once powerful Kingdom of France, the remnants of Charlemagne has not had it easy in the latest of time and is now controlled by a member of the Jimena house from his palace in Tunis. France throughout its history has had a hard time with internal fighting foremost with the dukes in the south who had the ambition to form the Kingdom of Aquitaine. After several centuries of fighting they eventually manage and Aquitaine is born, however shortly thereafter the King dies and the throne is claimed by the Salians for the Empire. It now all belongs to the Papal States.

On the Breton peninsula the Kingdom of Brittany existed for long until it was inherited by a Welsh relative who renamed it to the Kingdom of Arymôr. It meddled for a long time in the affairs of England, Wales and Milsariki and at one point controlled most of Wales. But after the Scanian invasion of Skotland they lose their strongest Ally and it is not soon until the Norse Princes of Skotland start attacking the mighty Kingdom of Arymôr. They might be gone for now but their people are proud and stubborn and are prone to revolting against their overlord Prince Holger of Galloway.

South West Europe

The Iberian penninsula has been a hot bed of conflict. First between the Catholic and Sunni states and when the Muslims finally were pushed out by the Knights of Caltrava it exploded into a ton of infighting instead. In recent years however the Yazidi state of Almoravid have started their reconquest of Al-Andalus and the states in the region are way too fractured and occupied with greed to unite in a common goal to fight back the Muslims pushing back in on the peninsula. The most powerful states in the region are the Almoravid's and the Argonese who have had a major colonization project of Africa.

Interestingly the family Strĺben have been ruling the Castile Kingdom since it was taken by the Swedish adventurer Holger. The Strĺben however do not speak Swedish anymore and haven't in a long time but Andalusian is instead their preferred language. Castillian is only spoken by the Masters in the Order of Caltrava. The dominant languages is Norman and Andalusian in Iberia. The Almoravid Sultanate, even if they are ruling Berber land speak primarily Andalusian as well.

Africa

In Africa we have the African Kingdom which is a splinter Kingdom from the Jimena Aragon colonies. Not pictured is also the Jimena Capital of France in Tunis. Africa is ruled by Queen Herleve and just as Aragon most of this land is also Norman and Catholic. It does have some Berbers who have converted to Christ in the east of the Kingdom.

Next to the African Kingdom is the Crusader sate of Egypt. Right now it is the youngest Kingdom in the world being formed just a few years before this.date. Most of the land is Egyptian and Muslim and as such the Kingdom military prowess is quite weak. Luckily the young King Rudolf has his half-brother's support, Kaiser Liutbrand II 'the Great' von Salian.

If we look south we see the Three Fatamids which is made up of three separate Kingdom but their realms are interlocked and it is quite hard to see where one begins and where one ends. We have Caliph Badr who claims Egypt, Sultan Murad of Arabia and Abyssinia. Abyssinia used to belong to Suhail 'the Great' but upon his death it was granted to his grandson Sultan Murad which caused a lot of strife within the Fatamid house.

Greece and Anatolia

The remnants of the ancient Roman Empire still stands strong as a wall against the mighty Seljuk empire and have protected Europe for many years. However they were near collapse at the beginning of the 12th century until the house of Murzuphlos with Michael VIII 'the Great' took the Empire by utilizing his influence and wealth. After that he went on a large crusade to retake much of the land lost to the Muslims and Catholics and took control of the important trading land of Crimea to the North almost encircling the Black Sea. After having reclaimed his empires land he performed many reforms to strengthen the unity of the Empire and eradicated much of the corruption in the Imperial administration by having the Varangian guard enforce his law. This also saw a big expansion of the Guard which was possible thanks to the many nobles from the North countries that came to Constantinople to seek fame, glory and wealth.

They have now ruled and resisted any attempts to destroy the empire now for 300 years and even with the Emperors and Nobles switching their faith the realm has stayed incredibly stable thanks to the skilled administrators put in place by the Murzuphlos.

Eastern Europe

The east of Europe is a very splintered land between both faith and culture. Most of it adhere to the Orthodox faith but Poland and Pannonia with the Kaiserreich as their neighbor they have had a very strong Catholic influence throughout the centuries. Lithuania has dwindled in Strength ever since it became Catholic and lost most of its land to its neighbors. When it was a Romuvan Kingdom it stretched from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea and the River Don.

The Grand Principality of Moldau is ruled by the same Árpád's that rule Pannonia and have existed first as a Buffer state between the Easterners and the Greeks and then later as a Trading hub between them for now 260 years. It was first founded by the now extinct Rurikids. It has very close ties with Russia and Ruthenia who both also was created by the Rurikids but later taken over by the Árpád's. Now days those two states are ruled by two Russian noble houses that controlled nothing mere than some farm land years ago but today rule the strongest realms in East Europe.

But the richest of them all is the Free City of Kiev which controls the Dnieper and has a merchant navy which influence stretches from the Middle Sea to the Baltic sea.thanks to the many rivers in Russia.

The Steppe

The Steppe is dominated by two major empires. The Bolghars and the Golden Horde. In the Steppe's the mighty Khaganate Turkestan used to be the dominate power that controlled and protected the majority of the trade west which fueled at the time the Byzantine economy allowing them to reform and the Seljuk's to conquer half of Central Asia and the Seljuk Sultans were content with letting the Khaganate exist as it did them much good and heir rulers were usually quite close. However now with the Turkic tribes gone and replaced with Karluk's and Bolghars strife is exploding along the Seljuk, Bulgaria, Golden Horde border making the trade very instable from the east which has caused the Byzantine and Italian states to shift their trading towards the North and near East. One of the biggest benefactors of this has been... The Norse Realms.

The Near East

The Near east is dominated by the vast Sultanate of Persia ruled by the Turkish Seljuk's. There is not much to say about them, they are big, they are strong, they are wealthy. they rival the Empire of Cathay in influence and power, the only two Great Powers of this day and age.

On the coast of the Middle sea is the Kingdom of Jórsalheim and the Kingdom of Damascus, two Norse states created by he Crusade of Fylkir Lennart 'the Wise Madman'. For now the city of Jerusalem is controlled directly by the King of Skĺne and in that manner also control the two Petty Kingdoms of Ascalon and Galilee around the City as their population rely on the Holy City as a common trading hub and meeting place. The Fatamids have some local sheikhs here and there as well still loyal to them.

In the Afghani mountains is the Ghaznavid's who have lived in peace in their hard to reach land for almost 500 years. There is also the City of Kalat, which holds the safest trading route to India under control giving them great leverage on taxing the trade that passes there.

India

In India the Buddhist Bengali's have been the most successful in this war-torn subcontinent. Throughout the centuries the inhabitants of India has known nothing but war. 400 years ago this place was sprawling with trade, small states and diversity. Now the land is divided between Three mighty empires. The Hindu Chandela and Chola Empires and the Buddhist Pala Empire. The Gujarat Kingdom and the Lanka Kingdom survives on their Peninsulas in isolation engaging in trade with the Western powers of the Seljuk, Fatamids and now the Vikings of Jórsalheim.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like that Volga Bulgaria is around. Good job, Volga Bulgaria.

So they'll form Great Old Great Bulgaria in EU4, right?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

GSD posted:

I like that Volga Bulgaria is around. Good job, Volga Bulgaria.

So they'll form Great Old Great Bulgaria in EU4, right?

If you have suggestions for nation tags like North Sea Empire or Neo-Bulgaria for a reformed Bulgaria just spew it out here. I'm very accepting of suggestions because I want the world in EU4 to change radically over the years.

Right now though I'm working on replacing westernization completely. Got a really good idea for it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Groogy posted:

If you have suggestions for nation tags like North Sea Empire or Neo-Bulgaria for a reformed Bulgaria just spew it out here. I'm very accepting of suggestions because I want the world in EU4 to change radically over the years.

Right now though I'm working on replacing westernization completely. Got a really good idea for it.
Put in Great Old Bulgaria

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Rodyle posted:

Put in Great Old Bulgaria

I'm suspecting there's a joke somewhere about Great Old Bulgaria I'm missing...

e: Just googled it, It was actually a thing! Huh

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groogy posted:

I'm suspecting there's a joke somewhere about Great Old Bulgaria I'm missing...

e: Just googled it, It was actually a thing! Huh

A Bulgarian guy made the super ambitious (and amazing/hilarious) EU3 mod Steppe Wolfe. It made EU3 cover as long a time period as he possibly could. Bulgaria was also over represented.

But yeah, I hope Volga Bulgaria gets some unique ideas. They're cool. Maybe they can form Muslim Russia if they knock out their rivals to the immediate west and the tribes to the north? Whatever that would be called.

How much do you intend to break up the major blobs? In the sense of having vassals/PUs, or actually having frontiers break loose. Byzantine Italy could be a fun vassal to play, maybe.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

GSD posted:

A Bulgarian guy made the super ambitious (and amazing/hilarious) EU3 mod Steppe Wolfe. It made EU3 cover as long a time period as he possibly could. Bulgaria was also over represented.
I was suspecting that was what you were referring to but I never touched that mod myself, for obvious reasons. But yes I'll give the Bolghars some extra love just for fun :D

GSD posted:

But yeah, I hope Volga Bulgaria gets some unique ideas. They're cool. Maybe they can form Muslim Russia if they knock out their rivals to the immediate west and the tribes to the north? Whatever that would be called.
I'm gonna give most nations unique ideas fitting what I wrote in the Epilogue, I am also gonna try and give them some unique flavor. The mod resulting of this will be available after I am done.

quote:

How much do you intend to break up the major blobs? In the sense of having vassals/PUs, or actually having frontiers break loose. Byzantine Italy could be a fun vassal to play, maybe.
I am not going to break up them at all, I am however gonna add major stability and nationality problems (I'm gonna tweak the cultures since CK2 converts cultures way too fast)

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

General setup and cleanup of borders are done now and feel pretty happy about it and started to mod in revolter tags, modifying present nations like making Lübeck a MR and so on and of course last I will add/change national ideas to the more important nations.

Skotland and Arymôr are special revolter tags and will have some events bound to them and be a pain to keep. Arymôr will be a Breton-Welsh Kingdom and Skotland will be a Skottish(Danes mixed with Scots) Noble Republic governed by the Five Princes put in place there by the Danish Vogelius family.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
What a cool world. You going to release your mod when you've finished EU4? It's a fun alternate universe that you've created here.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Livonia seems to have migrated just a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yes mod will be available when I'm done.

GSD posted:

Livonia seems to have migrated just a bit.

They are also Orthodox Lithuanians. Where Livonia used to be is now Liivima or something.

• Locked thread