Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
41 for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, let's go to room 41 so we can hopefully reconnect everything.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

OK, I don't know if the guide is or isn't the Minotaur, but he is somewhere in this maze.

That ship is a greek trireme, and the black sails mark it as the one that every nine years took yound men and women from Athens to Crete, in order to be sacified to the Minotaur. Theseus, being the dumb hipermusculated hero, forgot that he had promised to change the sails from black to white ones in the return trip. That was supposed to show his father, Aegeus, that he had survived and killed the Minotaur.

Aegeus, being another big drat fool, or refusing to believe that his son was such a jerk, threw himself from a cliff into the sea and died.

Room 41

EDIT: Jibe, Pine and Compass all seem to point to "needle". No idea what it means, though.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 4, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Let's go see 14, since we already have a decent idea as to what's in 41.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I forgot room 41 is confirmed to link to room 1! I'd like to change my vote from 14 to room 41.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

KillHour posted:

Grimwit explicitly said there were only 45. We're a third of the way through.

I screwed up. My brain said "third" but my fingers typed out "fifth" while I was rushing this update out.
I have gone back and fixed it.
I should let this be a lesson. Take your time when writing an update to a puzzle game.

Sorry for the confusion, guys.

AutistTree
Mar 28, 2010
Room 41, so we close the circle.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Room 41. Let's see if it does link back up.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I noticed the black-sailed ship too. Theseus is actually a pretty decent candidate for the guide as well.

1: 'They never noticed my crown, my pain, the fire in my eyes.'
    2: 'They think I am some poet who will lead them through the symbols and spaces of this Underworld. They think I will teach them lessons. They should call me Cerberus…. I am the lesson.'
    3: 'I take some pride in my role as architect.'
    4: 'Though one of my parents might be lowborn, the other was close to a king…. I’ve always felt at home here.'
    5: '“Weren’t you ever irresponsible?” I asked, thinking of my childhood and how wild I had been.'
    [adding]
    6: 'a stone chamber which reminded me of my old neighbors. Of course, that was a long time ago now, but would you believe their descendants are still telling stories about me and my family to their children?'
    7: There is a man in the maze who is afraid of him [or has reason to avoid him].

1. + Not only is he a king, but there is a story of Thetis giving him a crown when Minos challenges him to visit Poseidon. Plenty of tragedy too, as he has to abandon Ariadne and ends up causing the death of Aegeus.
2. / He's not really a poet. One myth has him visiting Hades to retrieve Persephone, in which his buddy is ripped to shreds by Cerberus, so he has some knowledge there.
3. - This is hard to fit. Even if he's viewed as a founder-king of Athens, that doesn't really make him an architect. I am inclined to think that this quote might only pertain to this particular maze, which the Guide is the architect of. Theseus doesn't quite seem to be the sort to build one, but he at least had familiarity with navigating the Labyrinth.
4. - Hard to figure out. There's an interesting question of where to apply 'might' in that sentence, as Theseus' paternity is indeed in doubt. It's either Aegeus, or Poseidon (this isn't just conflicting myths; there are versions in which his mother sleeps with Aegeus and then visits the sea the same night). Neither of those two are lowborn, exactly, but if you squint you can make Poseidon be that way. His mother, Aethra, was the daughter of the king of Troezen.
5. + If you take childhood as his 'coming of age' when he returns to Athens and joins the royal family, that involves him straight-up murdering a bunch of guys (who were all evil, but Theseus dispatches them with hardly a second thought).
6. + Not sure how to decipher 'old neighbors', but the rest is true.
7. + Supposing that 'man' is the Minotaur would make this fit rather well. What is the top hat covering?

Kangra fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 4, 2014

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I agree with room 41, so we can try to get back to the beginning.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
I note that in this room, there are multiple things pointing at the 41 door. The umbrella, the stick on top of the ladder. I think these are hints towards going into 41.

E: For that matter, the room smells of fresh paint, and the 41 door would have been the one just painted. Another, possible, hint towards 41?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm also working on something:

Won't be done for a while of course.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Very well, Goons. It was a close race but the clear winner was...

Room 41

…a room with a special piece of furniture I thought might appeal to my guests.

“How can we trust that thing?” one remarked. “Who knows where it ends up…”

I knew naturally, but that wasn’t the point. They were pretty sure of themselves, and went right on to…

And the circuit is complete. There's the door to room 1, where we began and we're now closer to the Center of the maze. Well, closer via square-one.

Uh... Literally.

Now things open up and your choices start to magnify.

Let's take a look at our maps.

I show you both as a reminder, there's still a huge amount of the upper floor untouched. Untouched like the entirety of the basement. The number of choices because of this will slowly gain momentum. Best to focus on what's in front of you for now.

I remind you that in case of ties, I will go with the lower of the tied numbers.

Now let's see. In this room, you have Door 38. The room behind us still has Door 14 unexplored. Room 1 still have Door 26 and Door 21. Finally, up stairs in Room 20, Door 5 is still unopened.

That's five choices. If you wish to revisit the rooms, there's a handy set of links below the original post.

You have roughly 24 hours.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

We just have to go to Room 38. I mean, come on, it's a loving slide. That's just fantastic.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Let's go upstairs and try room 5. And let's stay clear of the slide, which is right next to a picture of a frog eyeing a fly. That can't be a good sign.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Room 35

Further up and further in.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

We just have to go to Room 38. I mean, come on, it's a loving slide. That's just fantastic.

drat, I wanted to say that. 38 because ^^. Also because we might finally get to the basement level.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

curiousCat posted:

Room 35

We've already been there.

I think we should clear this area if we can before we move on but I don't like the look of that slide, it's gotta be one-way. 14

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

38 looks like a fun place.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Come on, let's clear out the ground floor. Room 14.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ok, so more signs that the geometry of this place doesn't make sense. 35 is up the ladder, but it is on the same 'floor' if you go there through another set of rooms.

E: Also, 35 was the room that looked like a basement.

That painting with the frog... the fly is outside the picture. What is this, The Ring?

Let's slide down to room 38 because why not.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 5, 2014

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
So we have a box of mushrooms under a target(?), and some horns again. Musical instruments seem to abound in this maze.

The picture of the girl is a bit odd. Maybe it's just me but the mouth is unusual and the way she's pointing to her face. Not sure what to make of it though.

Anyways room 14 is my vote because I want to clear out the main floor.

Fat Samurai posted:

EDIT: Jibe, Pine and Compass all seem to point to "needle". No idea what it means, though.

I see an obelisk on the right too - at least one of them was referred to as a Needle.

There seems to be a mix of needles and eyes overall (the boat, the potato, etc). Not sure if threes anything with eye of the needle or such though.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 5, 2014

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
My OCD demands we clear out the ground floor now. Room 14

AutistTree
Mar 28, 2010
Room 14, because we might as well be systematic.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I'm less concerned about the ladder leading to the same floor and more so about what looks like some sort of... dartboard for mushrooms?

Anyway, I guess I'll gamble on door 14 not being a one-way dead end. Presuming it is one and we can turn back, I want to vote for a second door in advance, but I'm not sure that would be kosher.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I'm sold on Room 14 for purposes of trying to clear up this section.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
Down for 38. It's a sliiiiide!

Teavian
Oct 9, 2012

For me, it's too late for room 14, we are in this room now.

We're fuckin' sliding to room 38! :pcgaming:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

curiousCat posted:

Room 35

Kitty, I clearly bolded the available doors, but... uh... you know what? Let's take another look at Room 35.

Yup.

The couch looks comfy.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
38 looks like a cool choice.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I vote room 21. It seemed to be what the first room is pointing at.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

The ladder confused me, I swear.
14, then?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That ladder seems like additional confirmation that incoming doors are the ones not marked (or have their marking obscured). Now it seems possible that there could be some significance to the numbers in a room, based on filling in the blanks. Although we probably need more of the riddle before examining whether that means anything.

Let's go to 14 for now.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

You guys are more focused than I gathered. Almost a tie between door 14 and door 38, but the clear winner was...

Room 14

…one of the biggest rooms in the House. All three doorways were dark.

“Afraid to go out?” I asked.

Since they tried to think of themselves as adults, they didn’t care for my question.

“Not really,” said the thoughtful one, “but that doesn’t mean we have to go running around out there just to prove something to you.”

I knew she would bear watching.

“Choose then!” I cried, as if my feelings were hurt. “Pay no attention to anything I say.” I knew they couldn’t afford not to listen to me entirely…they were so easily led.

Turning around, the group took a path that completely surprised me after all, and I followed them to…

A very surreal, large, and dangerous room. The words of the guide are clever after you've been to all the doors. I won't say why, just now, but it's an example of the author holding his superious knowledge of the maze above you like a muffin on a string.

Let's look at our maps.

There are now MORE doors, if you can imagine, for you to enter. This is something I foresaw because, as I've said, one way doors aren't as common as you might guess. I can see a couple of choices here that will speed your path to the center, but are not doors toward our goal.

But one of the doors... Well, veterans of the Maze already know what I mean. Shhhh. No spoilers.

Door 24 and Door 43 in this room.
Door 5 upstairs.
Door 38 which requires a slide behind us.
Door 21 and Door 26 back in the first room.

You have roughly 24 hours.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Great, so now we're in Tom and Jerry. Fantastic.

Room 24 looks interesting with that paperclip on a string going out from it, let's go with that.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Welp, now that I've seen it, I kind-of want to go on the slide to room 38 instead of exploring this new fork.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
What's wrong with you all, who wouldn't want to ride a slide in this crazy funhouse?

38, obviously.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Sticking with 38.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
I vote to finish this floor before jumping down to another one, so I'll add my name to the Room 24 tally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

If this is the labyrinth, why wouldn't you follow the trail?
Door 24

• Locked thread