Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This should probably be stickied somewhere

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/748344786826854400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Dave's person hell has to just be asked "is this guy getting into the WWE HoF?" for all eternity.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dave mentioning Braun Strowman as a guy the WWE thought had "it", pausing for a beat and then going,"JESUS CHRIST!" was hilarious.

Also loved the following exchange between Goldberg and Austin on Austin's latest podcast:

Goldberg: People still mistake me for you, I don't mind so much now because I'm so much skinnier than I was :smug:
Austin: Yeah but I'm fat as gently caress.

Reminded me of his classic,"I feel like a piece of crap" response to the Rock singing him a song all those years ago.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
"the bitch champion match"

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Jerusalem posted:

Dave mentioning Braun Strowman as a guy the WWE thought had "it", pausing for a beat and then going,"JESUS CHRIST!" was hilarious.

I remember reading that Strowman's tryout was one of the worst of all time and he showed absolutely nothing, but then he got hired anyway because he's large and strong

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I remember reading that Strowman's tryout was one of the worst of all time and he showed absolutely nothing, but then he got hired anyway because he's large and strong

leading authorities have stated that "you can't teach that" so seems reasonable to me

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Remember when Stroman was being groomed for the Undertaker?

Stroman would have probably killed him in the ring on accident.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CascadeBeta posted:

Remember when Stroman was being groomed for the Undertaker?

Stroman would have probably killed him in the ring on accident.

You can't kill what's already dead.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

exploding mummy posted:

You can't kill what's already dead.

You underestimate Stroman's shittiness.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Remember when it was going to be Stroman vs Reigns for the belt at this upcoming Summerslam?

Man, that would have been a match of legendary proportions.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Some of the stories that came out of developmental suggested that he was constantly scoring the lowest in everything they were being judged upon, but he was never once close to being cut.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

When considering what Jericho said regarding the demons thing, it helps to remember this: He's trying to make sense of a man he was close to being a loving child murderer. Obviously, he feels the Chris Benoit he knew wasn't capable of such a thing. Or he doesn't want to believe he was, anyways. I think a lot of people make rationalizations that sound a bit strange when faced with something so hosed up. As much fun as people make of that "Chris Benoit is a murderer, and I don't know how to accept that" guy, that's an actual reality Jericho has to live with.

That's pretty much a reality with all his friends, like Dave said people can go "Oh the signs were there" but no one knew him like his friends.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Sempervive needs to calm down today.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Electric Lady posted:

Sempervive needs to calm down today.

Yeah, that was a weird loving hill to die on.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what hill

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

Some of the stories that came out of developmental suggested that he was constantly scoring the lowest in everything they were being judged upon, but he was never once close to being cut.

The death knell was him no-selling Lesnar's strikes at the Rumble. Brock just snapping and stiffing the gently caress out of him is, yes, unprofessional, but also completely obvious ahead of time, and you'd think someone would've realised and told Braun "Just bump for Brock.".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Somebody sent a link to that video of Triple H suplexing a fan who ran into the ring and attacked Austin during a match. Bryan said it was overkill (HHH also held him down and punched him and the ref ran over and began kicking him) and Mike said it was justified, and then got REALLY upset at Bryan saying all you had to do was restrain the guy, and he went off on a big tangent that just got sillier and sillier the longer he went on about it.

Gaz-L posted:

The death knell was him no-selling Lesnar's strikes at the Rumble. Brock just snapping and stiffing the gently caress out of him is, yes, unprofessional, but also completely obvious ahead of time, and you'd think someone would've realised and told Braun "Just bump for Brock.".

That was hilarious because I imagine it was a result of Braun having been told,"Your gimmick is that nobody can get you off your feet!" but nobody told Brock, so I'd like to think when Brock clotheslined him and Braun stayed up it was like flashing a reasonable request for slight expansions to gun access restrictions in front of a Congressman.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 1, 2016

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

while security has that guy restrained and is ready to cart him off trips calls them over so he can punch that guy in the stomach one more time while his arms are tied behind his back so i don't know how you can argue it isn't overkill

of course it's also cool and justified

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oatgan posted:

so i don't know how you can argue it isn't overkill

Was anybody arguing it wasn't? :confused:

Edit: Nevermind, I read what you wrote wrong, sorry!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Given how many wrestlers jerk off at the idea of beating up fans it would be cruel to stop them before they've climaxed.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sempervive is retarded

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
They should have shot Hunter Hurst Harambe before he assaulted that poor fan.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

sempervive is retarded

Should stick to suggesting WWE brings back War Games and telling his anecdote about Sunshine getting hit a tennis racket.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Super No Vacancy posted:

sempervive is retarded

Sempervive has mastered the art of taking 100 words to make a point that could've been made in 20

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Sempervive has mastered the art of taking 100 words to make a point that could've been made in 20

Sweet a new Sin Limite.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Jerusalem posted:

That was hilarious because I imagine it was a result of Braun having been told,"Your gimmick is that nobody can get you off your feet!" but nobody told Brock, so I'd like to think when Brock clotheslined him and Braun stayed up it was like flashing a reasonable request for slight expansions to gun access restrictions in front of a Congressman.

That moment when Brock clotheslined Braun only for nothing to happen and then got mad and unloaded on him until he DID fall was perfect though.

Guess its another example of accidental greatness for WWE. It's not just for big booking decisions, it trickles down all the way to individual spots!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I seriously thought when it was happening that Brock was going to eliminate himself with those crazy flying knees he was doing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

It's better to think that Brock was told, he just doesn't care. And he never will. Or he took it as a challenge.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Dave talking over Josh Gross for 90 percent of the interview was cool

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Hell, I'd argue that Triple H still didn't go far enough.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

Dave talking over Josh Gross for 90 percent of the interview was cool

Ok so it's safe to listen to that episode?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

remusclaw posted:

I seriously thought when it was happening that Brock was going to eliminate himself with those crazy flying knees he was doing.

I was laughing so hard at Stroman not selling for Brock and Brock just flipping out. Those flying knees were hysterical.

Also, at one point it was supposed to be Brock/Stroman at summerslam. I would pay to watch that match because it would be the funniest loving thing ever, but I don't think it's what Vince and company would like.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

AlmightyPants posted:

I was laughing so hard at Stroman not selling for Brock and Brock just flipping out. Those flying knees were hysterical.

Also, at one point it was supposed to be Brock/Stroman at summerslam. I would pay to watch that match because it would be the funniest loving thing ever, but I don't think it's what Vince and company would like.

That match would almost certainly end in a Stroman injury. I green guy who probably isn't great at bumping being thrown around for ten minutes by Brock is a recipe for an injury

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

AlmightyPants posted:

The ending sucked, but I seriously liked the way Brock wrestled in his first match back from UFC. He was unpredictable, terrifying, and utterly amazing. Suplex Brock is pretty great, and Submission style Brock from the HHH feud was pretty boring, but him vs Braun in the Rumble gave me flashbacks to the amazing Brock Lesnar who was doing Stair dives over the top rope in his first match back.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Braun Strowman push is so weird in hindsight. Like even at the time when he came up people were like "this guy isn't ready for singles matches." And yet WWE was earmarking him for matches against Brock and Taker, complete with ludicrous reports like "YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE BEST OF HIM YET."

Did the Rumble really end Strowman or was it something else? We know how stubborn Vince is with his tall strong guys, so maybe it was a combination of Brock going "this sack of poo poo didn't sell for me, gently caress him" and Taker going "I'm not wasting one of my last 1-2 matches against Giant Gonzalez 2.0."

(Taker did wrestle Shane, but it's pretty clear by now that was the Plan B or Plan C after Cena got hurt)

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

The Braun Strowman push is so weird in hindsight. Like even at the time when he came up people were like "this guy isn't ready for singles matches." And yet WWE was earmarking him for matches against Brock and Taker, complete with ludicrous reports like "YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE BEST OF HIM YET."

Did the Rumble really end Strowman or was it something else? We know how stubborn Vince is with his tall strong guys, so maybe it was a combination of Brock going "this sack of poo poo didn't sell for me, gently caress him" and Taker going "I'm not wasting one of my last 1-2 matches against Giant Gonzalez 2.0."

(Taker did wrestle Shane, but it's pretty clear by now that was the Plan B or Plan C after Cena got hurt)

I recall hearing that it was the Strowman/Ambrose main event at a Raw before Mania, and the lack of response to it, that was the final nail in the coffin to his on/off push.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Granny segment this week is a billion stars

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
True though the Meltz said he's down 100k missing the house shows

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
As bad as Strowman is, I liked how he beat the poo poo out of Kane and Big Show in the RR and eliminated them easily. Given how the year before was all about Kane and Show smugly tossing out fan favorites, it was cool to see a new, huge guy just swat them aside like "nope." It'd have been better if Strowman was at least half as good at wrestling as he is at strongman (seriously, look up Adam Scherr competing on YouTube; he's a monster) but whatcha gonna do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Luigi Thirty posted:

Granny segment this week is a billion stars

Specifically the wrestling review. Contest was kinda garbage.

• Locked thread