Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

MikeCrotch posted:

The problem is that we have neither right now we have a political class that has spent the past 30 years enriching themselves and keeping themselves in power at the expense of providing meaningful change to the electorate. Hence why voters are flocking to anything that isn't the status quo.

i.e., currently we're in the situation that arises after competent politicians decided to break everything (Thatcher, Blair).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

hakimashou posted:

If I were May I would do a TV debate. Let him debate that little lib dem gnome or tell Nicola Sturgeon how Scotland has to go down with the ship. Just say everyone knows where she stands, and everyone knows where he stands, and she's got a country to run. Best case he'd whine about not getting a debate.

May is a horrible debater.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

blowfish posted:

jfc this is actually stupider than pissflapsposting

be ashamed

It's not likely, but can you really look at the past few years in terms of electoral results and rule anything out at this point?

Cue me being taken away by the Faragestaffel as UKIP finally deliver on their pent up promise of electoral success when everyone least expects it.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Pissflaps posted:

You must be so proud of yourself.

I live in one of the safest labour seats in the country.

It's not really the fault of the Labour Party and JC that alleged labour voters don't actually like the concept of a labour movement.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Namtab posted:

Given the short notice given I doubt there'll be much in the way of televised debates

Yeah, but it's Labour's only real way to challenge what's going to be a cakewalk for the Tories so Corbyn should be demanding it for the next six weeks before the inevitable.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

TheRat posted:

May is a horrible debater.

Sorry I meant to type 'wouldn't' do a debate, I edited it but it was too late.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MikeCrotch posted:

It's not likely, but can you really look at the past few years in terms of electoral results and rule anything out at this point?

Yes.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/854288607976312833

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Parliament to be dissolved on 3 May according to lobby briefing

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

RideTheSpiral posted:

I live in one of the safest labour seats in the country.

If your attitude is common among Labour Party activists then labour is more hosed than i realised.

Did you join before Corbyn's leadership campaign?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Josh Lyman posted:

Maybe Stephen Fry should run. He's not doing QI anymore, and I hear TV game show stars are doing well in elections lately.

Contributed to Blair's speeches. Irrecoverably tainted

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Carecat posted:

Really? Isn't that where May came from? And not just the surface level Boris/Gove backstab or Cameron promising a referendum, there was a behind the scenes push to get May.

Since the leadership election the Tories have essentially closed ranks. They score ridiculously highly on "unity" in polling. There's next to no criticism of May from the back benches and that there is muted, and the closest there came to any rebellion was during the article 50 debates which resulted in one Tory mp voting against the gov. For the moment they're unified if only for the sake of having power.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

So how much wailing and gnashing of teeth is there here?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Pissflaps posted:

If your attitude is common among Labour Party activists then labour is more hosed than i realised.

Did you join before Corbyn's leadership campaign?

lol if you think democracy is good and the electorate isn't stupid

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

well this is all rather exciting

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

well this is all rather exciting

i want to die

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Skinty McEdger posted:

Since the leadership election the Tories have essentially closed ranks. They score ridiculously highly on "unity" in polling. There's next to no criticism of May from the back benches and that there is muted, and the closest there came to any rebellion was during the article 50 debates which resulted in one Tory mp voting against the gov. For the moment they're unified if only for the sake of having power.

Yes. Tories are currently a very effective political party with MPs who are very good at staying in power. Labour is babby's first political party with neverending amateur-hour backstabbing attempts in public view. Possibly because Labour MPs honestly believe in defending neoliberalism against the leftist menace while Tories just like being in power no matter how.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Zero Gravitas posted:

So how much wailing and gnashing of teeth is there here?

All the wailing and gnashing.

Tbh I've just resigned myself to continuing to work in care with constantly diminishing resorces anywhere that hasn't been mostly privatised and listening to clients/patients/ whoever blaming everything on benefits cheats and foreigners.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Wonder how bad turn out is going to be for this

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

George Eaton is consistently wrong but it wouldn't shock me. Nor would everyone who voted lib dem becoming shocked that they immediately hop back into bed with the Tories and abandon all that Brexit opposition.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

the last stand of Jeremy Corbyn MP has come a lot sooner than i was expecting

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

:negative:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Carecat posted:

Really? Isn't that where May came from? And not just the surface level Boris/Gove backstab or Cameron promising a referendum, there was a behind the scenes push to get May.

In that particular instance, it was "who is the least loving toxic idiot with baggage to represent us" when they needed to elect a leader.
There is likely some private infighting over her approach to Brexit, but they're publically presenting a unified front in support. This general election (as has been said) is most likely a preemptive movement, as they're potentially facing 20 by-elections, over allegations of electoral fraud.

Also, think I've found flaps:

[e]: Egg on my face, confusing Yvette Cooper with Liz Kendall :negative:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 18, 2017

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The Guardian has such a weird loving hardon for Jess Phillips.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think Corbyn should stand down and I've ever voted Tory.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Lib Dems wouldn't go into any coalition without a cast-iron pledge to revoke Article 50 before the first confidence vote. Special Conference wouldn't even entertain the idea.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/854285149063716864

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

TinTower posted:

The Lib Dems wouldn't go into any coalition without a cast-iron pledge to revoke Article 50 before the first confidence vote. Special Conference wouldn't even entertain the idea.

Ah, the Lib Dems, famous for their strong backbones and commitment to principles.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

More accurately, people just won't vote at all.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

TinTower posted:

Lol if you think the Lib Dems have principles if power was handed to them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Say what you will about them but they can at least organise a Death Camp.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TinTower posted:

Ahahahahahahaha

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Alertrelic posted:

Ah, the Lib Dems, famous for their strong backbones and commitment to principles.

Its incredible watching /r/unitedkingdom going "Lib dems are only hope!" and saying that the lib dems had no choice but to vote in tuition fees

are you loving serious with all the photos of MPs signing big loving billboards "I WILL NOT VOTE FOR AN INCREASE IN TUITION FEES" its literally black and white jesus christ

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maybe instead of the stunning incompetence it truly is, Labour has decided "gently caress all of you too then" and has refused to even try opposing brexit in Parliament since voters couldn't be arsed to oppose it at the ballot box.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe instead of the stunning incompetence it truly is, Labour has decided "gently caress all of you too then" and has refused to even try opposing brexit in Parliament since voters couldn't be arsed to oppose it at the ballot box.

Most labour voters did. That's why their Brexit response has been such an utter tucking shambles.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TinTower posted:

Yeah I agree.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/SimpsonsQOTD/status/796044669352284160/photo/1

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

There isn't even a mechanism for doing takesybacksies on Article 50. I mean you can probably put that genie in the bottle somehow but it's going to need a lot of wrangling and something completely insane like a Lib Dem landslide (can't sell your Brexit position in a coalition agreement, if there is no coalition).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pissflaps posted:

Most labour voters did. That's why their Brexit response has been such an utter tucking shambles.

Isn't Corbyn pro-Brexit for a host of dumbass reasons?

• Locked thread