Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

this Stanton stuff is great fun

I would like the Jays to go get Dex please :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Your Taint posted:

Cubs by far have the weakest farm out of those 4. No chance.

I’m guessing the Marlins would take 3 bats and the desiccated corpse of Cap Anson to get that contract off the books. Their leverage is more or less gone so now it’s who wants to bypass the FA frenzy next year and take Stanton now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the Cubs aren't gonna be willing to give up much as GoatSeeGuy said the Marlins have played their hand and are bargaining from a weak position. Also the Cubs outfield is fairly full right now, so unless they can move Schwarber/Almora/Happ/Heyward they don't have a huge need for an outfielder when the obvious need is pitching. So unless they get a very favourable deal I think they pass on Stanton.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the Yanks have a clear path to Stanton, though this means they're gonna skip the Harper/Machado sweepstakes, and it honestly might be better in the long run. If they only have to take on the remaining 250M as was agreed upon in the Giants trade, that's a bargain compared to what Harper might get

at this point the prospect cost might be minimal, but that's the prospect hugger in me

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Popete posted:

I feel like the Cubs aren't gonna be willing to give up much as GoatSeeGuy said the Marlins have played their hand and are bargaining from a weak position. Also the Cubs outfield is fairly full right now, so unless they can move Schwarber/Almora/Happ/Heyward they don't have a huge need for an outfielder when the obvious need is pitching. So unless they get a very favourable deal I think they pass on Stanton.

In a dream world we move Heyward but ain't no fuckin way anyone's taking on that contract.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is it too late for us to get Loria back

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

In a dream world we move Heyward but ain't no fuckin way anyone's taking on that contract.

If the Cubs traded for Stanton (unlikely, as others have said) I'd imagine Almora would be packaged as part of the trade, Heyward would shift to CF, and Stanton would take over RF. Not ideal, but between the NTC and the money/years left on the deal, I just don't see how the Cubs could move Heyward at this point, yeah.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

This is okay because the Giants were frankly offering so drat much of a lackluster farm to get past the "impress the Marlins" phase.

Even if Stanton is worth his contract, which, sure, he's not worth eating the entire contract AND giving another team the last three cans in the pantry AND the shelving and nails.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Is there any reason to believe the Marlins are in a position to even demand a player of Almora's caliber at this point in time

From what I gather even the Dodgers are probably gonna want some salary relief before they take on the deal

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

xbilkis posted:

Is there any reason to believe the Marlins are in a position to even demand a player of Almora's caliber at this point in time

From what I gather even the Dodgers are probably gonna want some salary relief before they take on the deal

The Marlins have leverage the second more than one of the four teams Stanton has approved want him and it becomes a bidding war.

e. What's changed is that before it was uncertain if Stanton would accept a trade to anybody besides the Dodgers, so the Marlins didn't have a lot of leverage in their trade demands because it wasn't certain they could actually reciprocate and trade Stanton. Now that he's tipped his hand and said what four teams he'll go to though, the Marlins have leverage over all four of those teams to put up the best offer over the other three.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 9, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

The Marlins have leverage the second more than one of the four teams Stanton has approved want him and it becomes a bidding war.

e. What's changed is that before it was uncertain if Stanton would accept a trade to anybody besides the Dodgers, so the Marlins didn't have a lot of leverage in their trade demands because it wasn't certain they could actually reciprocate and trade Stanton. Now that he's tipped his hand and said what four teams he'll go to though, the Marlins have leverage over all four of those teams to put up the best offer over the other three.
The difference is that none of those four teams feel like they need Stanton the way SF and STL did. All four likely see Stanton as a nice luxury to have, and thus have no reason to get into a bidding war over him.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

bawfuls posted:

The difference is that none of those four teams feel like they need Stanton the way SF and STL did. All four likely see Stanton as a nice luxury to have, and thus have no reason to get into a bidding war over him.

It's this.

Houston doesn't need him, and as far as I know isn't even on the radar.

Cubs don't need him.

Dodgers and Yanks would LIKE him, but also don't need him.

There is zero reason to fight each other over him for the benefit of the Marlins.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
He's on the radar insofar as Jim Crane publicly stating the team could fit his salary under the payroll

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The only reason the Cubs could use him is to keep him away from the Dodgers

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Cardinals should absolutely trade Fowler if they can get a good package for him. I guess it's fun to say they're trading him because he's not white, but the answer is because they've got a poo poo ton of OF prospects. He also kind of threw a fit about only playing center where he's average defensively as opposed to Pham or someone else.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Poque posted:

The only reason the Cubs could use him is to keep him away from the Dodgers

This right here is the only hope the Marlins have left, that teams bound for deep playoff runs want to block each other. But again, there's superstar lotteries going on in future years as well, and the Dodgers have options if they clear off their luxury tax payroll, so...

Miami should try to build around him for now then firesale it in 2020 and make him want to take the opt-out. But the union has virtually disappeared so instead they're going to cry the blues about a player making so much money.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 9, 2017

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Stanton loving over the Marlins is both good and hilarious

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Dodgers don't like Angels getting attention so he's 100% going to the Dodgers before Monday

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

I don't know, I expect there to be something of a bidding war if only because none of the four teams wants Stanton to go to the other and they try to drive the price up, like what the Dodgers were presumably doing in the background during the SF/STL talks. He'll still probably end up with the Yankees though.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
For those wondering why I keep posting about Tyler O'Neill, by the way:

That guy can play CF. He's probably a corner outfielder long-term but my god that nerdy Canadian is strong.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Pancakes posted:

That guy can play CF. He's probably a corner outfielder long-term but my god that nerdy Canadian is strong.
He should arm wrestle Yandy Diaz

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bumming your scene posted:

Dodgers don't like Angels getting attention so he's 100% going to the Dodgers before Monday
You've got this backwards. It's Arte Moreno that hates to be upstaged by the Dodgers. Friedman & co don't give a poo poo what Moreno does.

Sydin posted:

I don't know, I expect there to be something of a bidding war if only because none of the four teams wants Stanton to go to the other and they try to drive the price up, like what the Dodgers were presumably doing in the background during the SF/STL talks. He'll still probably end up with the Yankees though.
All four of these teams are run by relatively disciplined people. These are some of the most highly regarded front office groups in the game. Friedman, Theo, Cashman, & Luhnow aren't going to be baited into overpaying for a player like this.

At this point I expect Stanton won't be moved any time soon. Teams will be happy to wait out the Marlins. Either they'll cave and move him some time after mid January, or they'll wait a year and be in the same spot next winter.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just imagine all 4 teams on a conference call reluctantly offering low level prospects until they all shrug and say "The Yankees can have him".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

All four of these teams are run by relatively disciplined people. These are some of the most highly regarded front office groups in the game. Friedman, Theo, Cashman, & Luhnow aren't going to be baited into overpaying for a player like this.

Popete posted:

I just imagine all 4 teams on a conference call reluctantly offering low level prospects until they all shrug and say "The Yankees can have him".

See now I'm imagining a Shark Tank episode with Friedman, Theo, Cashman, and Luhnow as the VC's GM's, with Jeets as the poor sap trying to sell high on Stanton.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Is Jeter the one actually spearheading these negotiations for the Marlins? Cause if so I can't help but think he's going to get completely dunked on. What has he ever had to negotiate in his life?? Compared to experienced GMs who've done this countless times before, it feels like Jeter will be the over-confidant celebrity getting cleaned out at the poker table.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

bawfuls posted:

Is Jeter the one actually spearheading these negotiations for the Marlins? Cause if so I can't help but think he's going to get completely dunked on. What has he ever had to negotiate in his life?? Compared to experienced GMs who've done this countless times before, it feels like Jeter will be the over-confidant celebrity getting cleaned out at the poker table.

You know those negotiation scenes in movies where somebody writes a number on a scrap of paper, folds it and dramatically slides it across the table?

Like that except it's a jump throw from across the room.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

*scrap of paper travels a foot and a half before lazily fluttering to the ground at Jeter's feet*

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Jeter gonna send Giancarlo to New York and change the name of the team to the Spiders in the same press release. :getin:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think the Marlins might be pressed to move the Stanton contract this offseason just because the ownership group wants to make their mark early on. Additionally, it'll be two years of control before the opt-out comes into play, so their leverage goes down a little as well

I wonder if teams are asking Stanton to guarantee he'll stay before they agree to a deal

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

*scrap of paper travels a foot and a half before lazily fluttering to the ground at Jeter's feet*

*Jeter before even opening it up*

"We'll take it!"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

I wonder if teams are asking Stanton to guarantee he'll stay before they agree to a deal
If anything teams would want him to guarantee he'll opt out, but there is zero chance of that kind of agreement happening.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Popete posted:

*Jeter before even opening it up*

"We'll take it!"

And that's how a piece of paper batted lead off for the Marlins between 2018 and 2023.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pancakes posted:

How does man attach leg to shoulder like that?

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Mustached Demon posted:

How does man attach leg to shoulder like that?

Paging Dr. Nick Riviera..

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Friedman doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who makes moves just to have the team in the papers

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Has Jeter actually hired a GM or ~President of baseball operations~ yet?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Has Jeter actually hired a GM or ~President of baseball operations~ yet?

Jeter is the Putin of Marlins baseball. Even if he hires a GM/President/etc, everybody knows he's still in charge.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I learned from this article that Michael Hill is the Marlins President of Baseball Operations. According to wikipedia, he was GM from 2007-2013 so presumably he's used to being the yes-man to an overbearing and ultimately ineffective owner.

Pro first line in that piece btw.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jeter is not doing this himself. This is Michael Hill’s deal. Jeter is not even going to the Winter Meetings in Orlando next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jeter is not doing this himself. This is Michael Hill’s deal. Jeter is not even going to the Winter Meetings in Orlando next week.

$10M per year well spent

• Locked thread