Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Rosa/Nyla was a bit of a letdown but it was clearly Rosa's second match of the night and Nyla got knocked about pretty hard so it's forgivable and I'd like to see them go at it again in fresher circumstances. The finish was awesome at least.

Leyla's Evanescence's ripoff music slaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Alaois posted:

the impossible to translate from japanese concept of "big bro"

YOU ARE MY YAKAMA.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I actually thought the "anaki" thing was just loan word "anarchy" based on the stuff like her attitude was punk as gently caress. So they might be able to sell Ryo's nickname without explaining it. I'm surprised Taz or someone didn't translate it in commentary though, since they kept referring to it.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Mar 2, 2021

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I am pretty sure they could passing mention that Aniki means "bro" and most people would get the idea, even with Ryo being a woman

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

AEW should just demand their audience play through the Yakuza series to fully absorb the mysterious concept of anikiism

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

DeathChicken posted:

I am pretty sure they could passing mention that Aniki means "bro" and most people would get the idea, even with Ryo being a woman

Excalibur has just been saying "aniki means big bro" once each show during her entrance and nobody has cared at all because Ryo is Cool and Good and I will fight people who disrespect my big bro

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DeathChicken posted:

Maki's spot where the ref was counting her out for a choke, goes "One two three four", Maki stops and cheerleads "Five six seven eight!" then glares is one of the best things I've seen in wrestling. I need her to do this with Aubrey just for the reaction

yeah, this was my favorite ref interaction of the tourney

my second favorite is ryo beating the ref's back for taking so long in the intro and i'd love to see her try it in the US. aubrey wouldn't have any of it but i think bryce would just collapse

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo&t=10s

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Excalibur has just been saying "aniki means big bro" once each show during her entrance and nobody has cared at all because Ryo is Cool and Good and I will fight people who disrespect my big bro

Faction consisting of Big Bro, the Lucha Bros, and the Best Bros. Book it, Koshinuke Tony.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's probably because I first heard it in Yakuza, but I thought while anniki literally means big bro it was more of a generalized sign of respect thing rather than everyone in the game calling each other "bro" like the track suit mafia from Hawkeye comics.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lamuella posted:

Faction consisting of Big Bro, the Lucha Bros, and the Best Bros. Book it, Koshinuke Tony.

Best Bros vs Best Friends for the Asia Dream Tag Titles

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Penguin Patrol posted:

Trent would do some loving damage to Emi's tables and chairs.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Just imagine sue pulling up in the van in the sketchy alley

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Penguin Patrol posted:

Yes, Akki and Suruga vs Fujimoto and Nakajima would rule

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, Akki and Suruga vs Sena and Noa would rule

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
So many good teams of Best Friends to lose to the Best Bros.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Penguin Patrol posted:

Santana and Ortiz win because they're THE BEST! THE BEST! THE BEST!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I feel like someone needs to organize a Best Friends Tag Team Eliminator Tournament at this point.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's probably because I first heard it in Yakuza, but I thought while anniki literally means big bro it was more of a generalized sign of respect thing rather than everyone in the game calling each other "bro" like the track suit mafia from Hawkeye comics.

There is a level of respect attached to it that isn't conveyed by "bro" which is presumably why they leave it untranslated and let the player figure out its general meaning from context

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Cerebral Bore posted:

I feel like someone needs to organize a Best Friends Tag Team Eliminator Tournament at this point.

Include Besties In The World for their entrance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPJBZseB3Gs

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

There is a level of respect attached to it that isn't conveyed by "bro" which is presumably why they leave it untranslated and let the player figure out its general meaning from context

The way I explained it to my friend was "It means big bro in a couple different ways. It's like bro, but also kind of "big brother" as a sign of respect with an edge of "big brother *punches my hand into my fist*" to tell you this person is tough"

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

i know aniki from cho aniki, which i know is "muscle brothers", but i assumed that meant her nickname was Muscle

which would have been cooler

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I think cho means something like super or really big. Muscle is kinniku. I could be wrong

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

karmicknight posted:

So many good teams of Best Friends to lose to the Best Bros.

I think we need a Best Friends International Tournament. :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pinwiz11 posted:

I think we need a Best Friends International Tournament. :colbert:

Only if it's the Shared Hugs International Tournament and Chuck Taylor gets to announce it

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Duke Pukem posted:

I think cho means something like super or really big. Muscle is kinniku. I could be wrong
You're correct. Chō means something like super or extreme.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 2, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it means hyung

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/CheeZeFX/status/1363731600899514370?s=20

Wasn't sure where else to post this as it doesn't quite fall under the social media thread. But this is wonderful

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
This is literally the content the social media thread was made for. It's loving awesome.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Wasn't sure where else to post this as it doesn't quite fall under the social media thread. But this is wonderful

Good God I love professional wrestling

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

This is so good.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Oh my god

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hell yea! That is awesome.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

So is the lady fight on Dark or is it a different deal?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Royal Updog posted:

So is the lady fight on Dark or is it a different deal?

It's on Dynamite

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Pylons posted:

It's on Dynamite

I am not good at days.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

ITO 3:16 SAYS I'M THE CUTEST IN THE WORLD

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Lulu Pencil did an interview with Ryo
https://twitter.com/lulupencil_gtmv/status/1366916292599451648

Here's a DeepL translation:

quote:

The finalists of the AEW Women's Tournament have been decided.
The Japanese side is Aya Mizunami and the American side is Nyla Rose. The final match will be broadcasted on March 4 at 10:00 a.m., and the winner will be able to challenge Hikaru Shida's AEW Women's World Championship belt.
AEW is one of the largest professional wrestling organizations in the world, but it means more to Mizunami. In 2020, she will be working as a freelancer in the ring for various organizations, and she won the tournament in Japan and got a ticket to the AEW Women's World Championship as close as possible.
We had an urgent interview with Mizunami before she left for the U.S. and asked her about the final match in the U.S. and her thoughts on the title match against Hikaru Shida that awaits her after her victory.

--You won the tournament this time, and will be going to the U.S. as a representative of the Japanese side. How did you feel about the tournament?
Mizunami: I felt myself growing with each match in this tournament. Even one elbow shot, I was feeling twice as much as usual, and I think "spirited" is the best word to describe it. I feel like I've improved each time I've fought three times in a tournament.
I've had many important matches in the past, matches that I absolutely couldn't lose, and each time I've been too focused on winning or trying to win. This time, however, my theme was to see how relaxed I could be, and I discovered how important it was to relax, and I felt that I could do it.

--So there was a lot of discovery and growth during the tournament.
Mizunami: I was surprised. Actually, I was growing all the time, but I thought that I hadn't been able to know and feel it for myself. This tournament was very important and necessary for me, and in a way, it was inevitable.

--How did you feel about Maki Ito, your opponent in the first round?
Mizunami: I think I was able to get into a good flow with Maki Ito in the first round. I didn't know what he was going to do, but I also felt excited and excited because I didn't know anything about him. When it came down to it, I felt that she was a former idol with a lot of determination, and she was determined to win, but she was also conscious of the people watching. I felt that he was similar to me in the way he came to beat Maki Ito. Since I was able to fight a fighter like that in the first round, I think I was able to enjoy the match even when I was about to put in too much effort. I think I was able to do exactly what I said earlier about relaxing, and it was important for me to be able to challenge with a mind that was in line with my own theme.

--How was your match with Aja-Kong and Sakazaki?
Mizunami: I met Aja-san when I was 16 years old for the first time. I'm 32 years old now, and this was my first single match in eight years. At that time, I couldn't stand him at all, he was so strong and I didn't know how to beat him. So this time, it was a fight against Aja-san, but it was also a fight against my past self. I won by ring out, but the fact that I beat Aja-san and advanced to the finals is a plus.
Eight years ago, I would have bounced back from everything, but this time, when I hit him hard, he took the damage.
The finalist, Mr. Sakazaki, I had only briefly met in the AEW flag-raising tournament, and if it hadn't been for this tournament, I don't think I would have met him. So I studied him very hard, and he studied me. When I fought her, I felt that she was a girl who threw her feelings into the fight. I had a strong image of her cutting back and forth, jumping and bouncing, but when it came time to fight, she was very strong in her feelings, and I could feel that she really wanted to win, and that I had to do my part to keep up with her. The tension was high, and the fact that I was able to control it was a plus.
I didn't know until I played against her that she was strong and had strong feelings, and that she would hit me straight on.

--AEW has a special meaning for you, I think.
Mizunami: AEW is the place that changed my wrestling life, so I want to go up there again and test myself once more. I can finally take a step forward after winning this tournament, and I want to test myself more in AEW. Many things will be new to me, and since I don't know how it will turn out, I'm excited and nervous. There will be fun things, good things and bad things, but all of them are things that I have grasped, so everything about this trip to the U.S. can only be a positive thing for me.
In that sense, Ichigaya, or Choco Pro, was also a big part of it, and I feel like all of those things added up to push me forward in 2020, so I'm really going to work hard.
And the belt, and Shida.
(On the topic of fighting style) Even if I say that I came back for this day, many of the audience don't know me, so I wonder how they will evaluate this. I will do it as it is.
Anyway, I have a real feeling about everything I've done in the tournament. I'm thinking as I speak that this tournament is really great.
I don't want to just go and fight, I want to win and seize the opportunity, and I don't want to let it go too soon, and I want people to think that I'm Japanese and that I'm a great fighter. I want to win and win the belt and win ....... Yes, I have nothing but positive thoughts. I have nothing but dreams. I don't have anything to look back on.
I will win. I'll get the belt.

Translated with https://www.deepl.com/Translator (free version)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Tournament Finals Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961033
Finals Relevant Discussion Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961074

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 4, 2021