Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Begemot posted:

Yeah, it should be a bad pun name. That's the point of it.

Reminds me of when they start translating the pun names for monsters in the Dragon Quest games, rather than making up new ones. Some people complained, but no! That's the actual way they'd ALWAYS been named in the original games. We were now getting the writers original intent: horrible puns left and right.

Let Laios be asinine. That's the joke.

Can't believe people played a game with Toriyama characters (well, character design) and had the audacity to complain about joke names.

Angry Diplomat posted:

He should have named it Laios Jr.

I support this as it walks the fine line of conveying the original point (dumb name) without leaning all the way over into distractingly silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
name the sword Keikaku

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Kensuke should be translated as Stabitha

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I like to think Laios was thinking of a name and thought of what his BEST FRIEND SHURO said a sword should be named. (Shuro just wanted him to go away while he was macking on falin)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Laios doesn't even know how to pronounce Toshiro, how would he know what a generic Japanese name sounds like?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Let's bust out the good gifs.

https://x.com/mhbali/status/1791856489713263081

https://x.com/mhbali/status/1791949597553643742

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Clarste posted:

Laios doesn't even know how to pronounce Toshiro, how would he know what a generic Japanese name sounds like?

Laios Writes it as Kenskay

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Snooze Cruise posted:

the best i can come up with is alexcalibur

i think kensuke is preferable

Carlbolg

Ragnaross

Durenpal

Palmung

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Lazy Fair posted:

Laios named his sword Kensuke because he picked up a little bit of the eastern tallman language from his best friend Shuro, and thought his katana was the coolest thing ever.

Kat Anna

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Add an anime only and english only scene establishing the Blade franchise exists in setting and have him name the sword Blade.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

https://twitter.com/LOWCOSTCOSPLAY/status/1792097245921411327

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

feels like cheating if he doesnt use his own face

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

feels like cheating if he doesnt use his own face

Laziness and cheating is just part of the Izutsumi experience.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Good catte :3:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Call it Curtana for a double joke about Laios misspelling katana and ending up with an appropriate sword name for the wrong reason.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 20, 2024

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cortana because it watches him get it on with a tentacled creature

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Arc Hammer posted:

Call it Curtana for a double joke about Laios misspelling katana and ending up with an appropriate sword name for the wrong reason.

:golfclap:

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

literally just translate it Swordsuke

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
https://x.com/diforland/status/1786014859496431694

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Arc Hammer posted:

It makes him seem too much like a weeb, he's a moron but he's not a weeb. Don't put that evil on him.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
laios the kind of white boy who walks up to the first japanese person he's ever met and goes WOW!!! ARE YOU A SAMURAI???

shuro hates him both for making that assumption and for just happening to run into the only eastlander in the entire island who was, in fact, a samurai

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mulva posted:

It makes him seem too much like a weeb, he's a moron but he's not a weeb. Don't put that evil on him.

Dude wanted to count nipples on a catgirl

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For science.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alan Smithee posted:

Dude wanted to count nipples on a catgirl

And see the base of her tail! Which is a line I’m really surprised they included.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/dun_meshi_anime/status/1792009115050693019?t=1RdYQ1mp1HVUySeQfgS9Fg&s=19

You know Damien Haas could dress up as Laios dressed up as Guy Fieri.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

And see the base of her tail! Which is a line I’m really surprised they included.

Presumably to see exactly how her tail connects to her spine. It is a valid anatomical question (and the way it's usually depicted in other works with catgirls doesn't make much sense), but obviously he should not have asked it like that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, there's all kinds of ways for the tail to attach to the body some of them more realistic than others, it's perfectly within the bounds of scientific curiosity. Laios needs to learn tact though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

Presumably to see exactly how her tail connects to her spine. It is a valid anatomical question (and the way it's usually depicted in other works with catgirls doesn't make much sense), but obviously he should not have asked it like that.

I was wondering what that line was about.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The proper anatomical way is for the tail to be an extension of the coccyx but that doesn't give the kind of profile manga artists want for their catgirls, hence the various impossibilities you see instead. Usually connecting to the spine at right angles which is impossible from an evolutionary standpoint.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

So he wants to know if it looks like a Gawr Gura shark tail or if it is following the direction if the spine.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Yeah Laios doesnt wanna mack on the cat girl
he wants to study her in a lab

god is thursday here yet?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

chiasaur11 posted:

If we're talking about novels and bears, I always remember a description I read. "Bear that has lived too much on other animals is not very nice, but bear that has had plenty of honey and fruit is excellent, and this turned out to be that sort of bear."

So if that's true, then bears aren't even an exception. Just a variant on the rule.

Prince Caspian? The only thing I remember about bear meat is that it's supposed to be pretty greasy and I know that's where I got that from

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phy posted:

Prince Caspian? The only thing I remember about bear meat is that it's supposed to be pretty greasy and I know that's where I got that from

Yep. It's also a scene where, appropriately for Dungeon Meshi, there's discussion if the protagonists ate something sapient or not, and if that renders things unacceptable, before ultimately agreeing to just cook it anyway.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Prince capsaicin

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

kadokawa teaser out

elves and...interesting new location

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Hihohe posted:

god is thursday here yet?

Seriously, every day it's not Thursday, I find myself asking, "Why can't it be Thursday?"

I'm going to be so sad when this series ends.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Anytime catchie is not on the screen people should be asking

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meshi should be louder, angrier, and have access to an air fryer.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rand Brittain posted:

Meshi should be louder, angrier, and have access to an air fryer.

Did you buy something like this? Cool.

Now throw that poo poo away.

*slamming down monster parts* We do it LIVE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Senshi invents an air fryer out of repurposed trap components while Chilchuck is in the background tearing his hair out