Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

NitroSpazzz posted:

Your thread was an eye opener for sure, I think my 928 experience would have ended similarly if I tried to fix everything that was wrong with it. Despite knowing better I keep considering a Cayman or Cayman S but have flashbacks of your thread, the 928 and various other disaster stories.

There was a 928 that caught my eye on cars.com that was mechanically sorted to the tune of $50,000 worth of receipts and was being sold for $29,000, lol. All it needed was a paint job and dashboard. All I could think was why spend that much over the past few years only to give up so close to the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Modus Man posted:

There was a 928 that caught my eye on cars.com that was mechanically sorted to the tune of $50,000 worth of receipts and was being sold for $29,000, lol. All it needed was a paint job and dashboard. All I could think was why spend that much over the past few years only to give up so close to the end?
Bankruptcy? Alimony due?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Your thread was an eye opener for sure, I think my 928 experience would have ended similarly if I tried to fix everything that was wrong with it. Despite knowing better I keep considering a Cayman or Cayman S but have flashbacks of your thread, the 928 and various other disaster stories.
I'm no deterred. Look, it's not that bad:

Bajaha posted:

It's been not bad. Tires and oil changes only so far after the initial sorting it out, both have been reasonable, albeit higher than your typical sedan or SUV parts prices. Also you need a scan tool capable of clearing the reminder, I went with a durametric for the rest of the fun stuff it lets you do. Budget around $1500 CAD a set of tires every two years and $80 - $100 CAD annual oil change.

Mine's got a little bit of a noise coming from the rear shocks over harsh bumps so I'll likely do struts all round either this season or next, and I've been topping up the PS fluid (which is priced like fine liquor) and now in storage it looks like made a little puddle from the front so will have to take a good look before getting it back out, thinking maybe the rack needs some seals thrown at it but I'll see once I get under it.

Oh, and I have terrible luck with Porsche water pumps, I would recommend just changing it preemptively at your leisure if you're looking at anything 60k miles plus. Much cheaper to DIY than getting a specialty shop or dealer to do it.
Thanks. Sounds pretty good, though tires are surprisingly expensive considering they're not that huge. A good set for a Miata is like $400 and lasts years lol.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I still have an irrational desire for a late 928. I am quite sure it would end up in tears, but there is just something about them. I'm a total sucker for GTs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:same:, I've really wanted a 928 like 10-15 years ago. I mostly got over it, I still like it but since I don't have the space for a bunch of undrivable projects, I think I'd just settle for a cayman that I could actually use.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yep, always had a soft spot for a 928 especially GT/GTS.

Around here a 928 is quite rare. The last one I saw for sale had a destroyed interior and was an automatic.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks. Sounds pretty good, though tires are surprisingly expensive considering they're not that huge. A good set for a Miata is like $400 and lasts years lol.
That tire price is pretty inline with any modern SUV really, pretty sure that's around what we paid for a good set on the Highlander and the Tacoma before that.

slidebite posted:

I still have an irrational desire for a late 928. I am quite sure it would end up in tears, but there is just something about them. I'm a total sucker for GTs.
928 was one of the best cruisers I've ever driven, smoother at 100 than 75 and it got there plenty quick for how old it was. The M5, e28 best M5, is also great at covering vast distances but no where near as comfortable or stylish as the 928. My 928 was cheap and came with a bunch of problems but at the time that was a bonus, now I'd pay a few times what I did and get a nice one that someone else has thrown thousands at fixing.

I mean look at this thing, it just screams "Let's go make terrible decisions"

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

This is a good deal.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Motronic posted:

Sure, if you want to part a car out.

I've had 944s in better shape GIVEN to me "because you always seem to have one or two in your driveway so you much like them!.....this has been in my driveway under a tarp for......."

Trashed 944s are not in short supply. Nice ones are.

Market dependent. It's a fair price for what it is, but my market is also insane. The cheapest ones for sale right now are a stripped out track car project (Manual) for $3k, or 2 non-running '84 Automatics both around $2700.

Frond fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 16, 2021

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

https://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/d/webster-1988-buick-lesabre-estate/7291917780.html

:kiss:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

slidebite posted:

Hard same

NitroSpazzz posted:

That tire price is pretty inline with any modern SUV really, pretty sure that's around what we paid for a good set on the Highlander and the Tacoma before that.

928 was one of the best cruisers I've ever driven, smoother at 100 than 75 and it got there plenty quick for how old it was. The M5, e28 best M5, is also great at covering vast distances but no where near as comfortable or stylish as the 928. My 928 was cheap and came with a bunch of problems but at the time that was a bonus, now I'd pay a few times what I did and get a nice one that someone else has thrown thousands at fixing.

I mean look at this thing, it just screams "Let's go make terrible decisions"

If you're not going to make terrible decisions in a Porsche then why did you make the terrible decision of getting a Porsche?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

God drat that is cool. Bummer about the 307, but it's still cool.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It's awesome. Yeah, the 307 didn't win many awards.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Can’t spell LeSabre without LS

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PeterCat posted:

Which part of the car is considered the car? There is so little of my old Cutlass that's original that it's hardly the car that left the plant in 73.

I suppose if you just replace one piece at a time it keeps it legal?

Technically, yes.
As I recall, most states consider "the car" to be around 75% of the panel that has the VIN on it, which is the firewall for most cars. The question was asked and answered by the hobby long ago, but was especially relevant when companies like Dynacorn began producing entire replacement bodies for Camaros, Mustangs, and Tri-Five Chevies, in particular. Basically, it's legal if you keep the firewall, or most of it. or claim to have done so...
I don't particularly care, myself, unless someone is trying to pass off a rebody as original, or a lesser model as a desirable one. I think there should be a classification of title that accounts for a VIN swap, but that's probably asking for too much from bureaucracy.

Fornax Disaster posted:

I bet it’s rusted out at the base of the windshield and around the back window from sitting out in the rain and that’s why it looks so swampy inside. In which case the floors will be no good.

Probably. My '70 Cutlass (same chassis and basic body structure) needs front floor pans from a windshield leak from two owners ago.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

God drat that is cool. Bummer about the 307, but it's still cool.

It's what that year had. Last of the carbureted V8s. For some reason the carb 307 Olds could squeak by emissions when the classic SBC couldn't, or so I've been told. I don't think you could get anything else V8 in those that year, but I could be wrong.
In '89 the LeSabre became smaller FWD V6 vehicles, though technically replaced by the RoadMonsterMaster with EFI (and eventually the LT1.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I really only give a poo poo if it's being used to illicitly sell a stolen vehicle. If you wanna spend 3x what the car cost new to build a tri 5 and hang an old vin tag on it so you can register it, knock yourself out, I didn't see poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kastein posted:

I really only give a poo poo if it's being used to illicitly sell a stolen vehicle. If you wanna spend 3x what the car cost new to build a tri 5 and hang an old vin tag on it so you can register it, knock yourself out, I didn't see poo poo.

Yeah and then it gets sold at "all original, restored" prices. This poo poo happens all the loving time. People are constantly getting new VIN plates made, restamping engines to hide that this original 327 is actually a loving crate 350, etc. The running joke is that there are more original-motor big block Chevelles/Corvettes on the market than the factory ever built. It's a complicated issue that nobody really wants to deal with. The government doesn't want to get any more involved, and most of the hobby community doesn't really want the government getting more involved. It just makes everything more expensive for everyone.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NitroSpazzz posted:

That was about the Boxster, which is why that surprised me. I actually checked and I can get decent tires in that size for like $150 a corner (or $70 for sketchy ones). So maybe it's just a Canadian loonie thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Found a great deal on a '98 Avalon for a friend, 120k miles, $2400 and the thing is clean as hell and drives perfect.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.rbauction.com/1964-gmc-pickup?invId=12571326&id=ci&auction=lethbridge-ab-2021145

That's a naturally aspirated 3-53. 159 cubic inches of 2 stroke fury. over a hunnert horsepower(barely)

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I bet it's loud as gently caress and really slow, I want it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

That purple is amazing

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

User Error posted:

I bet it's loud as gently caress and really slow, I want it.

Same.

This is the coolest way to be unnecessarily loud in traffic.

Similar to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG2z5PJhaI4

boxen fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 19, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

https://www.rbauction.com/1964-gmc-pickup?invId=12571326&id=ci&auction=lethbridge-ab-2021145

That's a naturally aspirated 3-53. 159 cubic inches of 2 stroke fury. over a hunnert horsepower(barely)
I'm curious what the story with that thing is. The rest of the pictures deserve a look too.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

A I-3 that weighs 1,000 lbs. Has some meat on its bones.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 19, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

I'm curious what the story with that thing is. The rest of the pictures deserve a look too.

A "Granny" 5-speed, custom console with a sliding gate for the shifter, and a really interesting under-dash clock/tach unit. Can't say I care for the exhaust treatment, though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

When you ask "what should we do with these old Smart Cars":

Driven 160,000 km
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Black · Interior color: Orange
Fuel type: Diesel
Engine size: 0.8 L
Horsepower: 40 hp

Smart car on tracks new tracks app 7000 got front ones another smart car for parts Turbo
diesel only 54000 on it no title or keys track car license for road easy change over to tires cost over 12000 to build great for groom trails

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

A snowmobile with a heater!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Darchangel posted:

A "Granny" 5-speed, custom console with a sliding gate for the shifter, and a really interesting under-dash clock/tach unit. Can't say I care for the exhaust treatment, though.
Agree, that exhaust would be the first thing to go.

Otherwise.....?

It's even local to me :lol:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

my first thought of the smart car snowmobile is that it might be too heavy??

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Its too bad those never came with manuals, at least in the US.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

They did offer them with manuals.

Then when it came time to sign the paperwork they said the best they could do was an automatic.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Where have you guys had good luck selling parts? Wheels/tires, radios, intakes, injectors, etc. I posted three cars for sale on FB MP Friday and sold them all this weekend, but nobody bites on the parts I post.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Coredump posted:

Its too bad those never came with manuals, at least in the US.

Don't worry, the automatic felt like a manual (being driven by somebody who learned how to drive manual from skipping through a YouTube video 10 minutes prior)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

i own every Bionicle posted:

Where have you guys had good luck selling parts? Wheels/tires, radios, intakes, injectors, etc. I posted three cars for sale on FB MP Friday and sold them all this weekend, but nobody bites on the parts I post.

FB MP is going to be your best bet these days. Are the parts from an enthusiast car that has a group on FB? If so join them and see if you don't have better luck. Your other backs ups in the US are going to be craigslist, ebay, and final resort swap meets. I have some new in box car parts from vehicles we no longer have and I don't even want to deal with the hassle really.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lately putting adds in CL I immediately get a text asking to send me a code "to see if you're real" it's obviously some sort of scam but what are they hoping to accomplish?

I just tell them to gently caress off, and one of them says "no" :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
IIRC they're basically using you as a captcha decoder.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

IIRC they're basically using you as a captcha decoder.

Or to literally hack/password rest your CL account.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I had one guy trying to do this a couple weeks back when I was trying to sell an old dirtbike, listed for sale only locally. Guy claims to be from the same town (about 50,000) but wants to send me a message to verify I am real.
I told him to just show up at (my address), I'm here and he can look at the bike. No response.

Edit: I sold the bike a few days ago to someone I initially suspected of being a scammer. The person told me they lived ~500 miles away, had just moved, couldn't pull cash out of their now out-of-state account, and could only give me a money order.
We eventually settled on Venmo and worked out a time for pickup, considering they had to drive quite a distance. The person ended up being a recent college grad who moved across the country and wanted the same bike they had as a kid.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 22, 2021

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Do people not understand that Craigslist is a cash only business. Yes just let me take that personal check I got no problem having to sue you for the next 40 years in order to get my 500 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Selling a used car, now dealing with all the "what's your bottom dollar?" bozos.

Why can't people just make an offer?
There is already a price listed.