Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Mods, this is bothering me.

Star Citizen: Come on and slam, and welcome to the sham. flows a lot better as Star Citizen: Come on and scam, and welcome to the sham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

XK posted:

Hold my beer while I change my graphics API.

Heard of Vulkan? Watch this!

(Seriously, Vulkan is pretty slick. With my potato of a machine I had to shut my second screen off to avoid slowdowns in Doom 2016. With Vulkan, I get the same framerate one screen or two.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Derek doxxing a squirrel in his spare ghost wandering internet time.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
derek you promised me you wouldn't record our meetings

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MilesK posted:

Derek doxxing a squirrel in his spare ghost wandering internet time.

:grin:

My daughter and I were having lunch at a restaurant next door. We looked over, and there was the little guy (he had moved over from the Five Guys nearby) hopping onto the chair and just chilling.

This is him before I decided to make a video.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
So much for that Lumberyard switch.

The systematic destruction of the project. It's also an indication that they have yet to do a full LY switch.

Last I checked, Lumberyard didn't support DX12 or Vulcan. So CIG would have to implement it whether or not they switch fully to LY.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Goodposting by Derek Smart. This thread never ceases to amaze.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
to be clear, by that I mean the squirrel.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i truly dont understand game development

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Cat tax is now squirrel tax

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

At least till 1000

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Red pandas are also ok, I think

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Just tripped over this article. Long read, but I thought it was pretty good. It is about how no matter what facts you show people, it may never cause them to sway their beliefs.

So appropriate to this discussion.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Spatial posted:

Number of fedoras owned by this guy: too many for me to watch the video

Dude showed up on my Youtube homepage recommended list 9 or so months ago, and whatever video it was seemed reasonably well produced. He clearly puts tons of research and effort into his videos. He's got only 13k subs, so I'm going to shill him a little. He seems to go pretty in depth with financial and crowdfunding stuff, so I really just want to see whatever Star Citizen video he comes up with.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Even Chris Roberts would've told you not to film vertical.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ewe2 posted:

Generally games get backported to Linux, native libraries and executables and all. Thanks to the Mono project, games written under .NET and XNB can be played natively in Linux, eg Stardew Valley. But otherwise its a full port like Witcher 2, Civilization V or the Valve games. I have not tried Borderlands 2 but that's been ported also.

Steambox would've helped with native Linux games, but that seems dead now. Vulkan should help remove platform specific coding, hopefully.

I'd just like to not have to gently caress with Wine or VMWare to play poo poo.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Samizdata posted:

Only if we can find a way to fund far away goons for travel.

Kickstarter. Get Sandi as your marketing agent.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

$40 missiles, don't forget those.

https://i.imgur.com/UG7z54e.mp4

Yes, this as well. Apparently nothing can move you if you are emoting. Even if you are doing it on a ship that is trying to take off, or exploding.

I'm rather far behind, but I just noticed that only the first missile is actually held up by something. The other 4 missiles just sort of float along behind it somehow. How did they miss even that?!?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Bofast posted:

I'm rather far behind, but I just noticed that only the first missile is actually held up by something. The other 4 missiles just sort of float along behind it somehow. How did they miss even that?!?

Well, I guess they hosed that up too.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

That's like asking why everything is white. It's obviously a demo to show the [utterly terrible] idea.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

The fidelity hasn't been layered in yet.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Spatial posted:

Speaking of scams, isn't one of Kickstarter's biggest problems that companies will take out high interest short-term loans to pad the funding number and create media attention? Then when the campaign ends and development starts, they run out of money shockingly fast because in reality they only had half the amount they claimed, and backers were only covering interest on the loans plus a small amount of funding.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/28/4667078/ouya-kickstarter-scam-allegations
The Ouya had Kickstarter scams within Kickstarter scams.
SCAMCEPTION

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Mirificus, you seem to love trawling the reddit, would you mind hauling up some golden oldies? Like what was the word back in 2014 or whenever. Should be funny to contrast then and now.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

:grin:

My daughter and I were having lunch at a restaurant next door. We looked over, and there was the little guy (he had moved over from the Five Guys nearby) hopping onto the chair and just chilling.
Soon to be posted on r/ds as "Derp Shart eats squirrel while kidnapping little girl."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This could all be Star Citizen footage

That's pretty much what happens in SC when you go for a slam dunk, yeah

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I can tell him exactly what the blockers are:

Chris Roberts
Cryengine/Lumberyard
Chris Roberts
Scam
Lack of programming knowledge
Chris Roberts

Hope I helped. :)

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

TacticalNecromancy posted:

Mods, this is bothering me.

Star Citizen: Come on and slam, and welcome to the sham. flows a lot better as Star Citizen: Come on and scam, and welcome to the sham.

That title reminds of space jam.

Come on and slam, welcome to the space sham.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

X-Ultron posted:

The fidelity hasn't been layered in yet.

Sabreseven posted:

I can tell him exactly what the blockers are:

Chris Roberts
Cryengine/Lumberyard
Chris Roberts
Scam
Lack of programming knowledge
Chris Roberts

Hope I helped. :)

:five:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

neonbregna posted:

Comedy but some people take it very seriously when your space gently caress body options aren't the ideal of beauty. Some people are very upset the new space alien , Angara, aren't sexy cat people. You can still gently caress them though

I wish there was some real lovecraftian monstrosity team member, some unholy mix of insect and jellyfish, and that you could romance it completely nonchalantly and no one made anything of it. "Oh yeah, they've been going out for ages. A few months ago I came back a couple of days earlier than expected and accidentally caught them having hot ovipositor action in the shower."

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

You know nothing Cymelion.

e: just realized I've probably been pronouncing his name wrong in my head all this time, it can't be sci-meal-eon, can it?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 20, 2017

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

All you people just now noticing this missile thing: Note the wingman's hangar logo in the bottom right corner. That helps to date this whole animation, since Wingman's Hangar stopped existing in 2014 and was replaced by the Sandi Show. Here's a discussion from three loving years ago about this very same image: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/107877/flaw-in-idris-missile-launcher

But it's okay! Because the Idris has been revealed since then. And then revamped. And then redesigned. And then re-released!

With that many layers of constant re/re/re/re, for a $1000 ship that no backer has actually seen let alone gotten to use, you just know that CIG are doing their very best. So don't worry about the missiles.

E: Redesigned Squirrel

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 20, 2017

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Everything makes sense now. That financial stuff is pretty much the silver bullet to understanding this scam.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
If Chris pulled the scheme off so successfully in the film industry with the German tax shelter thing how come he was apparently selling used cars and essentially broke leading up to SC? Granted they had to pay off Costner etc, but still.

Maybe the shady lawyer and the Gizmondo bros use Chris as a front for these schemes because he has a bit of a name from Wing Commander and is a clueless, easily manipulated dope who thinks he's James Cameron and Steven Spielberg rolled into one. They give him a respectable salary, hire his talentless spouse, lease a Porsche for him, and meanwhile they're the ones making out like bandits.

And they have four geographically remote studios so no one at a junior level notices there are far fewer employees than publicly stated. Or that half of the UK studio is actually being hired out to make LEGO games or do effects for scifi shows.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just want to say how funny it is that Star Citizen is now tied to how Uwe Boll kept scamming the german government to get his lovely movies made.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

AP posted:

3.0 & SQ42 are due, well overdue. That's fair right? Ignoring the 2014 release date on the kickstarter for SQ42, the delay to 2015, then the delay to 2016 on the trailer, it's now 2017. 3.0 was meant to be out at the end of 2016.

If you expect 3.0 (the real 3.0 as described and shown in the gamescom presentation) and/or SQ42 to be released this year, then time is running out. Maybe you don't expect either this year I dunno.

I seem to remember last year you said you'd be looking to sell if summer 2017 rolled round and you weren't impressed. What are your thoughts? I mean seriously, don't give me that 4x ship price bollocks, I really don't think you are that daft.

AP posted:

moma if you don't want to talk about this that's fine, but I answered you.

I told you my thoughts, oh, maybe 4 times so far? I expect a 3.0 drop by end of summer 2017. I also expected at least one level of sq42 to drop (including evocati drop) sometime this year. I don't expect them to release much more of that because it's a story line they want to share with everyone all at once.

The pricing structure for the ships was always discussed to be: cheapest upon initial offering and going up in price with each anniversary of the ship until release. We've already seen this with ships like SH and Retaliator. So, if a ship costs $100 now (and at a UEC conversion of 1000 to $1USD,, then it stand to reason that the in-game UEC cost for the ship will be 100,000 UEC. If it increases in price at least 4 times to let's say: $300 before release, then we're looking at a ship costing 300,000 in UEC. Now it may not be a true 4x original price structure for all ships. I'm assuming there are other factors such as rarity, lore, etc, but I fully expect ships costing much more in game after release than now.

When SC is released, it's said that we'll have the capability of trading ships for UEC, etc. I fully expect people to make out-of-game sale arrangements that involve the transfer of real cash instead of in-game UEC.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ManofManyAliases posted:

I told you my thoughts, oh, maybe 4 times so far? I expect a 3.0 drop by end of summer 2017. I also expected at least one level of sq42 to drop (including evocati drop) sometime this year. I don't expect them to release much more of that because it's a story line they want to share with everyone all at once.

The pricing structure for the ships was always discussed to be: cheapest upon initial offering and going up in price with each anniversary of the ship until release. We've already seen this with ships like SH and Retaliator. So, if a ship costs $100 now (and at a UEC conversion of 1000 to $1USD,, then it stand to reason that the in-game UEC cost for the ship will be 100,000 UEC. If it increases in price at least 4 times to let's say: $300 before release, then we're looking at a ship costing 300,000 in UEC. Now it may not be a true 4x original price structure for all ships. I'm assuming there are other factors such as rarity, lore, etc, but I fully expect ships costing much more in game after release than now.

When SC is released, it's said that we'll have the capability of trading ships for UEC, etc. I fully expect people to make out-of-game sale arrangements that involve the transfer of real cash instead of in-game UEC.

quoting this for posterity because i feel too bad to keep trying to take this small child's toys away from them with critical thought and logical reasoning

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Chin posted:

Maybe the shady lawyer and the Gizmondo bros use Chris as a front for these schemes because he has a bit of a name from Wing Commander and is a clueless, easily manipulated dope who thinks he's James Cameron and Steven Spielberg rolled into one. They give him a respectable salary, hire his talentless spouse, lease a Porsche for him, and meanwhile they're the ones making out like bandits.

We have a winner.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Chin posted:

If Chris pulled the scheme off so successfully in the film industry with the German tax shelter thing how come he was apparently selling used cars and essentially broke leading up to SC? Granted they had to pay off Costner etc, but still.

And they have four geographically remote studios so no one at a junior level notices there are far fewer employees than publicly stated. Or that half of the UK studio is actually being hired out to make LEGO games or do effects for scifi shows.

I mean, has there ever been a lawyer in the history of lawyering that hasn't found the best loopholes with which to line his own pockets?