Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Checked the last couple of pages and did not see this posted, apologies if it is a repost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWSOIXS5o3c

quote:

VICE commissioned renowned photojournalist and videographer Robert King to embed on the front lines with the Free Syrian Army in Aleppo. War-zone chaos ensued. In this episode, Assad forces hit Al Qusayr with a rocket attack while Robert is filming - it was targeted directly.

Continue the discussion #GROUNDZEROSYRIA

Ground Zero Syria is a series where we've compiled photojournalist and videographer Robert King's footage into a series of raw, largely unedited vignettes that present a snapshot of the ancient city as it crumbles and burns while its citizens are killed indiscriminately. Watch them here over the next month and a half, culminating in the release of VICE's Syria Issue in November.

:siren: VERY graphic NSFW footage :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Squalid posted:

That summary of Kuwaiti politics reminded me i dont unxerstand the first thing about arab tribal identity. Like i associate the word tribe with ethnicity, and would normally imagine a tribe shares something like language that separates them from outsiders, but that obviously doesnt apply in the middle east where everyone is an arab and speaks arabic. I mean, what binds a tribe together? Especially in a wealthy modern state like Kuwait? Are they just a codified system of nepotism? Or do they provide valuable services to their members not offered by the state? Does everyone have a tribe in Kuwait or are they an achaic institution only preserved by the jerkoff Saudi immigrants. The entire institution seems weird and alien to my western conceptions of identity and governance, which i guess are mostly shaped by the institution of the nation-state and racial identity groupings.

Just think of it as a very large extended family. Just like you belong to the family you were born into, your family belongs to a specific tribe. Not everyone has a tribe, it's mostly the Bedouins who still care about tribal identity. The "hadar" (literally, "Modern" people) either don't belong to a tribe or don't care that they do. Family names and reputation are still very important though, the first thing most older people ask when they meet you is your father's name.

The tribes have their own leaders, and the benefit to belonging to a tribe is the leader can receive your concerns and convey them to someone else. This is why the have preliminary elections, to guarantee nobody splits the vote in the tribal areas and everyone gets his leader in.

Of course nepotism is another benefit but GCC society is built on nepotism.

This doesn't mean there aren't still ethnic groupings though.
  • The majority of Kuwaitis have Saudi heritage but no longer identify themselves with tribes, they're roughly grouped by which region in Saudi they originally came from.

• Bedouins "Badoo", or those who typically still subscribe to tribes, are seen as a seperate group even though they are probably related

• "3ayam" are shiite Kuwaitis with Persian heritage, they faced a lot of discrimination in the 80s because of the Iraq-Iran war and questions about where their loyalties lie.

• "Hasawis" are shiite too, but with eastern Saudi roots instead of Persian.

• "Kanadra" usually have the "Al-kandari" family name and came from Iran as water dealers, but they are Sunni. There are a couple of Kandari families that have different last names too.

• "Jana3at" are originally from Iraq and usually have more european features like colored eyes and hair.

• "3abd" (literally, slaves) were freed slaves that were given citizenship.

• "Mitjanseen" (given citizenship) is a blanket term usually used for people who don't fall under one of the above groups and were given Kuwaiti citizenship in the 60s or 70s for services rendered to the country. There are different communities within this, like the Kuwaiti Palestinians, the Kuwaiti Syrians. Kuwait didn't have doctors or people with political training back then so they gave them an incentive to stay.
This is just ethnic, there are divisions among whose family was there first, and descriptors like "Sayid" for families who descend from the prophet. Your citizenship papers actually make a distinction between whether your family was always there or you are the child of a nationalized citizen.

This feels like a writeup explaining star trek races or something. This is all very poorly documented too, I almost wish I studied a field this was relevant to because the thesis writes itself.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This feels like a writeup explaining star trek races or something. This is all very poorly documented too, I almost wish I studied a field this was relevant to because the thesis writes itself.

You should just do what the US does and subsum your identities under blind patriotism and a crusader-like zealotry for free market capitalism and representative democracy.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

colonelslime posted:

You should just do what the US does and subsum your identities under blind patriotism and a crusader-like zealotry for free market capitalism and representative democracy.

Well The speaker of Parliament for the longest time was the brother of the richest man in Kuwait (40th in the world at one point) so don't worry Capitalism still trumps all

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
This would be funny if it wasn't so disgusting:

quote:

According to Syrian state TV, President Bashar al-Assad has issued an amnesty for all crimes committed in Syria "up until today" - with the notable exclusion of "terrorist crimes".

Seeing as the Syrian administration routinely refers to anti-Assad fighters as "terrorists", we'll have to wait and see what effect the "amnesty" has on the ongoing conflict in the country, and whether Assad is merely pardoning the actions of his allies in his fight to remain in power.

More details are sure to follow. Even if they take a long time to come through, you can be sure we'll bring them to you right here on Al Jazeera...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the latest Human Rights Watch report I've been helping out with, Syria: Despite Denials, More Cluster Bomb Attacks. Here's the report in video form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruMWy7MRquc

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

CNN Türk is reporting an anti-aircraft shell fired from Syria has hit a hospital in the Hatay province. There haven't been any reports of casualties or injuries yet.

EDIT: The Daily Star clarifies that it was a health center that was hit. Still no news of casualties. If confirmed, I doubt that the attack was intended. It seems more like an unfortunate accident.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 23, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

CNN Türk is reporting an anti-aircraft shell fired from Syria has hit a hospital in the Hatay province. There haven't been any reports of casualties or injuries yet.

If that is confirmed (with casualties) this is going to be drat serious. I would go as far as saying that it might even force turkey's hand as far as setting up a buffer zone is concerned.

[e]oops, focused on shell and overlooked the AA bit. Still, an AA "shell"? I thought the general term was round?

Munin fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 23, 2012

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Not disputing the claim, but honestly, why would Syria shoot an anti aircraft shell at all, why would it be directed towards Turkey, and as an off chance, why would it hit a Turkey hospital of all places. Considering it's a hospital, then it would more than likely be bad loving luck, or most likely be intentional. Why would it be beneficial in any circumstance for Syria to intentionally attack a Turk hospital.

Let's be a little bit realistic here and until there is proof by an independent observer, say that it's pretty loving detrimental and unlikely this event took place as a STATE RUN NEWS AGENCY (are you loving serious? Might as well be Fars reporting this if their allegiance was aligned) reports.

The same case can be made for the Kurds that Turkey is easily siding with the Syrian regime giving them no rock and a hard place position in this revolution.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Not disputing the claim, but honestly, why would Syria shoot an anti aircraft shell at all, why would it be directed towards Turkey, and as an off chance, why would it hit a Turkey hospital of all places. Considering it's a hospital, then it would more than likely be bad loving luck, or most likely be intentional. Why would it be beneficial in any circumstance for Syria to intentionally attack a Turk hospital.

Let's be a little bit realistic here and until there is proof by an independent observer, say that it's pretty loving detrimental and unlikely this event took place as a STATE RUN NEWS AGENCY (are you loving serious? Might as well be Fars reporting this if their allegiance was aligned) reports.

The same case can be made for the Kurds that Turkey is easily siding with the Syrian regime giving them no rock and a hard place position in this revolution.

It's not a terribly unbelievable report, one possibility is that the FSA (or someone else) was firing at an aircraft near the border, some of their shots missed and landed in Turkey. The ones that landed in empty fields didn't get noticed, the ones that landed on hospitals did.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Also an anti-aircraft shell could be a lot of things, are we talking a 23mm round, or something larger? If would also give a clearer indication of who could have fired it in the first place.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Thus, to say, that this would force Turkey's hand to form a buffer zone is unfounded, as we have no facts, I hope you'd agree. The Fars and Al-Arabiya "news agencies" have made similar cases and reports without fact, trying to instigate discussions on unfounded claims, and no evidence.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Thus, to say, that this would force Turkey's hand to form a buffer zone is unfounded, as we have no facts, I hope you'd agree. The Fars and Al-Arabiya "news agencies" have made similar cases and reports without fact, trying to instigate discussions on unfounded claims, and no evidence.

Yeah, as with most initial reports in this conflict absence of confirmation it is nothing.

I did a quick news search and the top hit for "turkey shell hospital" is:
http://en.trend.az/news/incident/2080014.html

That snippet mentions the source as an article in Habertürk and it certainly doesn't seem to be making any headlines there.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Reuters has confirmed that a shell hit the hospital, but no injuries have been reported yet.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Exactly what does the Syrian government have to gain from firing mortars into Turkey for up to a week? Nothing? Right then, so it's confirmed that they're not acting in a logical manner. I would like it to be "unrealistic" for this situation to have happened but it is well past the point where that seems possible.

Deliberate or accidental doesn't make much difference at this point because Syria has shown they do not respect Turkey since they continue to have ordinance land in Turkey, and worse, actually kill civilians. Setting up a DMZ and blasting anything that comes within 10km would be a good idea to deter repeats of this stuff and I think Turkey is heading there quickly and that they cannot fail to retaliate for these attacks, as they've been doing thus far.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
So apparently the Emir of Qatar visited Gaza and got a lot of praises from Hamas leader. I'm curious what the "conspiracy theorists" have to say about this...? The Gazans/Palestinians are no longer worthy of support? :)

Section 31 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 23, 2012

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Al Jazeera reports that the Syrian insurgents have begun to distribute $150 paychecks to each fighter in Aleppo. The program is set to expand nationwide:

quote:

Colonel Abdul Salam Humaidi defected from the army after 30 years in service, because he says the regime is corrupt and sectarian. He’s now the financial official in the Revolutionary Military Council, and is overseeing the first wave of remittance.

"The revolutionary military councils are undertaking a project to distribute monthly salaries to the fighters, especially those who are on the front lines. We hope that we will be able to continue testing this project until fighters are secure in their livelihoods."

Although it is not clear who is providing these fighters' salaries, rebels say some of the sources of the money are in Turkey, the Gulf states and Islamic institutions.

HAH! I knew they were foreign thugs paid by their CIA/Mossad masters... :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Why, with $150 dollars they could be saving up to something like... A BRAND NEW CAR! :wotwot:

I'm feeling half tempted to get over there myself to get a piece of that sweet cash action*.

*Action because I'd be getting shot at, mostly.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Section 31 posted:

Al Jazeera reports that the Syrian insurgents have begun to distribute $150 paychecks to each fighter in Aleppo. The program is set to expand nationwide:

HAH! I knew they were foreign thugs paid by their CIA/Mossad masters... :colbert:

:woop: Money money money!

This is a very interesting development. Hopefully it will help to reign in any sort of post-civil war militia violence through accountability.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Certainly a good way to get their names, at least.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PleasingFungus posted:

I think you'll find that the PIAT was a fine weapon (against WW2-era armor) which the Syrian rebels would be well-advised to emulate (if they actually had professional manufacturing capabilities, instead of welding together some piece of poo poo that's more likely to blow up in their faces than in the enemies').

I think you meant to quote someone else.

I'm still wondering whether new FSA fighters usually receive training before fighting in the war against Assad. How organized is the FSA? Are there many safe zones where they can train, regroup, and resupply before going back to fight regime forces?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Chamale posted:

I'm still wondering whether new FSA fighters usually receive training before fighting in the war against Assad. How organized is the FSA? Are there many safe zones where they can train, regroup, and resupply before going back to fight regime forces?

I've seen training camps associated with various brigades and battalions, but it seems pretty much down to where you happen to be. It's also better to say the armed opposition, as the FSA now really separate from other groups that make up the opposition, such as al-Nusra Front.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Chamale posted:

The impression I have gotten through reports is that the Free Syrian Army (FSA) consists of whoever wants to call themselves the FSA. The group is incredibly disorganized, to the point where high ranking officials have difficulties getting the individual brigades to obey direct orders. FSA coordination rarely extends beyond neighboring towns and never to the provincial or national level. Some areas have training camps but the quality of these facilities tend to vary dramatically from region to region.

There were reports in early August about the United States and France deploying officials to act as advisers to the FSA and help training. Rebels say they would prefer heavy weapons to combat Assad's air force. However, the West is hesitant about sending these weapons because they fear the weapons will end up in the hands of jihadist groups like Jabhat Nursa. Observers were alarmed last week when video was released showing rebels with shoulder fired anti-aircraft missiles. We aren't sure who has supplied them yet.

EDIT: Brown Moses is completely right about the distinction between the FSA and opposition. There are about 30 groups including the FSA that make up the opposition.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 23, 2012

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I understand, thanks. What QuoProdQuid said certainly relates to what I saw in the Presidential debate last night - both Obama and Romney say they want to help "moderates" in the Syrian opposition without giving weapons to jihadist groups.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Chamale posted:

I understand, thanks. What QuoProdQuid said certainly relates to what I saw in the Presidential debate last night - both Obama and Romney say they want to help "moderates" in the Syrian opposition without giving weapons to jihadist groups.

The biggest problem with this is that there are battalions within the Free Syrian Army that are happy to work with extremist groups. Many of these extremist groups have informal networks to bring in weapons and experienced fighters. This is vital in a conflict characterized by untrained fighters and weapon shortages. In interviews FSA coordinators have admitted, "groups such as Al-Nusra have experienced fighters who are like the revolution's elite commando troops". We've seen reports of Jabhat Nusra and Ahrar al-Sham working with the FSA to execute bombings and assaults on government strongholds.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 23, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A mis-firing missile, I found this rather amusing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeXBZpsjmQE

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

A mis-firing missile, I found this rather amusing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeXBZpsjmQE

I certainly hope that's one of those warheads that has to go a specific distance to arm

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat
This was just posted by Ship to Gaza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcIdyJtmYgI

The guy screaming in the megaphone reminded my of captain Haddock in The Red Sea Sharks :3:.

e: punctuation

e2: Oh, and there is another video that shows first contact with IDF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpbe4C859rw

The clips was allegedly smuggled out by carrier pigeon, which you can see briefly in the first video.

Qvark fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 23, 2012

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I feel like this is a completely different planet from 40 years ago. Imagine the Korean or Vietnam wars, and then reconcile that reality of guerrilla warfare with the reality of guerrilla squads with official Facebook pages and paychecks.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Munin posted:

If that is confirmed (with casualties) this is going to be drat serious. I would go as far as saying that it might even force turkey's hand as far as setting up a buffer zone is concerned.

[e]oops, focused on shell and overlooked the AA bit. Still, an AA "shell"? I thought the general term was round?
There are pretty large caliber artillery-like AA guns. Syria supposedly has some of these, for instance (100mm) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KS-19

They also have some 57 and 85mm flak - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_equipment_and_uniform_of_the_Syrian_Arab_Army#Towed_anti-aircraft_artillery

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

^^^ I've certainly seen 57mm AA guns in the hands of the opposition, not many though.

I've just put together a new collection of cluster bomb clips showing some of the more unusual videos, Selected Cluster Bomb Videos October 17th - 23rd.

Following on from my blog post on the subject yet another Metis AT missile has been spotted, they seem to be making quite a few appearances recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA2tRF1seQ8

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 23, 2012

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Lascivious Sloth posted:

This would be funny if it wasn't so disgusting:

Maybe I'm just conflating things from the Gaddafi conflict, but isn't it a semi-common tactic to issue amnesties, make structural changes or other such announcements in moments of weakness to distract the opposition and appear benevolent? Perhaps timed to take attention off the fact that the FSA appears pretty close to controlling all but one major supply route into northern Syria.

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
I was under the impression that FSA was just a brand name for anyone participating in the opposition; I guess the disparity of organization and the sheer number of different parties involved that are separate even from the FSA really hammers home how volatile of a situation post-Assad Syria may well be. What is the chance that these groups could turn on each other even before the end of the regime?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

spacetimecontinuu posted:

I was under the impression that FSA was just a brand name for anyone participating in the opposition; I guess the disparity of organization and the sheer number of different parties involved that are separate even from the FSA really hammers home how volatile of a situation post-Assad Syria may well be. What is the chance that these groups could turn on each other even before the end of the regime?

I think it's pretty high, especially when you considering the increasing numbers of foreign jihadists and the Kurdish issues. The irony is that attempts to unify everyone under the banner of the Free Syrian Army seems to have just made everyone splinter off into their own little factions.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Apparently an arms factory in Khartoum just totally exploded. Probably an accident, but some witnesses are alleging an attack. I don't think the SPLA or its offshoots, nor any Darfuri rebel group, currently have capacity to launch a major urban attack in the city. That all could change, though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MothraAttack posted:

Apparently an arms factory in Khartoum just totally exploded. Probably an accident, but some witnesses are alleging an attack. I don't think the SPLA or its offshoots, nor any Darfuri rebel group, currently have capacity to launch a major urban attack in the city. That all could change, though.

Proportionately, Khartoum has way too much money to be at any risk from the South. The income distribution there is ridiculous.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Regarding that AA shell that hit that Turkish hospital, in case anyone didn't know, AA guns can be fired in other direction besides up at airplanes/helicopters. AA guns make great anti-infantry weapons as well. As we saw in the Libyan civil war, a pickup truck with a Anti-air gun mounted on the back pointed at enemy soldiers makes a great weapon. Perhaps either rebels or government forces were using something like this and a shell landed in Turkey,unfortunately at a hospital :(

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I was just doing some research on Monsanto for a sustainability project, and on their website they list Syria as one of the places that they invest in. Since this has been going on for over a year now, that can't be a mistake, can it?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

change my name posted:

I was just doing some research on Monsanto for a sustainability project, and on their website they list Syria as one of the places that they invest in. Since this has been going on for over a year now, that can't be a mistake, can it?

LOL its really no surprise that Monsanto invests in Syria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Brown Moses posted:

Following on from my blog post on the subject yet another Metis AT missile has been spotted, they seem to be making quite a few appearances recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA2tRF1seQ8

Using a premier anti-tank rocket to shoot a building seems like a waste. Do they have tons to spare or just a more pressing lack of RPGs?

Edit: I guess it could be an older Metis model. However, it seems odd to use a wire-guided anti-tank missile against an immobile building.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 24, 2012

• Locked thread