Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I didn't play today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
French Weekend in which you get 50% extra xp for destroying my Henri IV? No you shall not! (spams IFHE from 22 km away setting things on fire)

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Heya!

I just got to the Nicholas, after having a blast with the Clemson and I was wondering about good US DD Captain skills. I have so far gone with the one that alerts you on whose shooting at you, along with Last Stand but are there any other really useful skills for US DDs?

Additionally are there any guides for playing DDs well? I play BBs mostly and I admit I find that it's a lot easier to position them compared to Destroyers. I understand getting to positions, laying smoke and such but like If I knew how to spot and effectively smokescreen, I could have far more fun.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Aesis posted:

French Weekend in which you get 50% extra xp for destroying my Henri IV? No you shall not! (spams IFHE from 22 km away setting things on fire)

Why use IFHE on the 240mm guns?

As for a guide to US DDs, keep in mind you can't stealth torp until the Mahan, so your primary use of your stealth is to lay smoke and then be between the smoke and the enemy so friendlies can see what to shoot. If you're using smoke offensively always keep moving in your smoke as you fire your guns so it is harder to torp you in the smoke.

Your guns have high arcs so using terrain to shoot while unspotted is very useful, but it also means you are likely to have trouble with gunfights past 6 or 7km, so don't be afraid to close the distance or disengage if you feel you are not in a position to apply your DPS advantage.

I actually prefer preventative maintenance over priority target first because you lose torpedo launchers/guns often enough as a DD for it to be annoying. For a third skill Superintendent for more smokes, or Demo expert for more fire chance are good choices, but get concealment expert as soon as you get to a 10 point captain.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Blindeye posted:

Why use IFHE on the 240mm guns?

Because it takes the pen up to 52mm, which is enough to pen a bunch of things with 50mm of armour that you couldn't before, like the deck armour of Bismark, Freddy, and the Great Sausage

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Because it takes the pen up to 52mm, which is enough to pen a bunch of things with 50mm of armour that you couldn't before, like the deck armour of Bismark, Freddy, and the Great Sausage

That feels like a lot of points for something situational.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Blindeye posted:

It is not. Long range plunging HE fire is a big part of your dps as a cruiser

edit:
area your shells could do damage without IFHE in green and blue

area your shells could do damage after IFHE in green and blue

MikeC fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 4, 2017

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

MikeC posted:

It is not. Long range plunging HE fire is a big part of your dps as a cruiser

I meant the number of targets now affected more: non-superstructure of German BBs and the Moskva. I guess for me I'd rather have the fire chance, which applies to shattered shells as well as penetrations, and have 25% less area to pen on 4 ships in the game.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Blindeye posted:

I meant the number of targets now affected more: non-superstructure of German BBs and the Moskva. I guess for me I'd rather have the fire chance, which applies to shattered shells as well as penetrations, and have 25% less area to pen on 4 ships in the game.

I personally feel that being able to straight up counter an entire line of BBs is a great use of 4 points. Also it gets you deck armor on Yamato as well.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

What're some good choices for an Atlanta captain post-CE? Should i keep going to 14 and get AFT or IFHE? Or grab some lower tier skills?

Currently, I have PT, AR, DE, and CE. I'm at 13 points...so 3 unspent.

az
Dec 2, 2005

This weekend is special even for weekends.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Every BB / CL shooting at them instead of the big ships peeling strips off the important boats? :v:
I'm not saying EVERY, but when NOBODY does, it's a bit frustrating...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgqM-eltJx8&t=565s
"See a DD, instantly shoot at DD. I wish more battleships did this guys. ... Luckily most people are idiots and they don't understand they should be shooting DDs."

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 4, 2017

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Blindeye posted:

I don't know where he plays but on EU high tier it's like 30% of ships are german BB.
So I guess it can be quite usefull. A bit like the HE buff to german cruisers.

Finished the last 3 levels of Bismark campaign this weekend, it was a miserable grind.
The (EU) servers are full of german BB that find it best to spend the whole game sniping from max range untill their team collapse.

I don't want to play >T8 in anything but Kutuzov or destroyers.
Even battleships are boring as hell to play due to either long range snipefest or 1v1 bow-on duel that never ends.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

az posted:

This weekend is special even for weekends.

Guessing there's a lot of shitlords desperate to finish the Bismarck campaign.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
I got detonated three times yesterday, and had my New Mexico lose guns three times in a match.

My luck is the best, or the weekend is just that bad.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Question: I have a 14 point US BB captain with the standard stealth build, but what should my next 4 points go into: AFT or Fire Prevention? Or maybe other things?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I tried, I really did. It didn't help, though.

Almost got a solo warrior, but the Montana felt he had to yolo instead of living a bit longer, so we lost on points, just barely. That's 46 plane kills vs a 2/1/1 Essex, by the way (he was bad). Other highlights include getting Liquidator on a Gearing by getting two blind torp hits in smoke on him with some delay between them so he ate a bunch of flooding, and killing a Yamato from full health with one and a half strike (one torp run and two DB runs). Why are CV's still a thing in this game?

Blindeye posted:

Question: I have a 14 point US BB captain with the standard stealth build, but what should my next 4 points go into: AFT or Fire Prevention? Or maybe other things?

Do you hate people like me who do things like the above? AFT. Do you hate HE spamming cruisers? Fire prevention. On the EU server I really don't think AFT is negotiable though - there are so many loving carriers around.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 4, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I'm finishing up my Kiev grind today. Anyone know what to expect re: Tashkent? I know it used to be miserable but was buffed enough to be decent.

Edit: Also, smoke or heal? I'm thinking heal because towards the latter half of my Kiev grind I stopped smoking up as much and spent more times racing around shooting. Chasing tier9-10 BBs across the map was a joy.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 4, 2017

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Blindeye posted:

I went with AFT before CE.
Still isn't enough to not get wrecked by any competent T9+ CV.

I like to think it sort of act like a deterrent and drop me a few spot on their poo poo-to​-nuke list.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Trillhouse posted:

I'm finishing up my Kiev grind today. Anyone know what to expect re: Tashkent? I know it used to be miserable but was buffed enough to be decent.

Edit: Also, smoke or heal? I'm thinking heal because towards the latter half of my Kiev grind I stopped smoking up as much and spent more times racing around shooting. Chasing tier9-10 BBs across the map was a joy.

It's not very good. The turret traverse is glacially slow; if you run into a Gearing with your turrets pointed the wrong way he'll have taken 50% of your health before you can even start shooting him. You really need Expert Marksman on it but idk what to drop for it. I'm currently using smoke but I'm thinking I should try heal instead because you don't really want to sit still smoked up anyway.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 4, 2017

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

SkySteak posted:

Heya!

I just got to the Nicholas, after having a blast with the Clemson and I was wondering about good US DD Captain skills. I have so far gone with the one that alerts you on whose shooting at you, along with Last Stand but are there any other really useful skills for US DDs?

Additionally are there any guides for playing DDs well? I play BBs mostly and I admit I find that it's a lot easier to position them compared to Destroyers. I understand getting to positions, laying smoke and such but like If I knew how to spot and effectively smokescreen, I could have far more fun.

My build so far: Preventative Maintenance, Last Stand, Adrenaline Rush, Survivability Expert, Superintendent, and Concealment Expert. The last 4 points when it goes to 19 will be RPF. I took preventative over Priority because I kinda assume if I'm spotted in a DD everyone is going to shoot me so I'd rather reduce the risk of losing bits and pieces of my DD.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Last game I played I watched a Scharnhorst drive straight up the middle on Two Brothers. Our Discord platoon was like, "Is he doing that?" "He's doing that." "He can't be doing it." "He just did it." We asked him not to. He didn't listen. He ran straight in, got torped by two cruisers on the other side, and died two minutes into the match.

"Why are you so mad???" was what he said.

I wasn't even mad, just... why? There was nothing to be gained by doing that. I do stupid poo poo all the time but at least I acknowledge when I'm doing it.

I used to do this, mostly when I had 10 or so straight matches as the lone tier 8 in a match with 7 tier 10s per side.

Really, when I found myself doing this it was a sign I needed to quit for the day.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Had ships shooting at me inside 10 km, but I managed to sink Iowa with maybe 12 Citadels in 30 seconds because he was dumb enough to show broadside to me, then Missouri by hitting it a bit then ramming because he dodged my torp earlier. Still lost the game because last remaining Yugumo capped just enough to turn score to 490-492 then ran like hell from remaining lovely sniping rear end in a top hat of a Yamato.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9EI5q677nA
13 citadels on Iowa :allears:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 4, 2017

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Evil_Greven posted:

I don't know how to Podvoisky.

I've figured out how to Podvoisky... just be insane zipping around and shoot anything while laughing at people unable to hit you.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Just took two full separate waves from a strike Ranger because the 2/2/2 hiryu on our team couldn't multitask both offense and defense. I died with a friendly squadron literally 2k away defensive orbiting another bb.

Sure is weekend in here.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Random dumb thoughts:

Had a game last weekend where I managed to kill 10 even tier planes in a Maass. I feel like you should get a "wow your team's carrier is probably a Juggalo" medal for that. Enemy carrier driver (whatever the tier 7 IJN one is) was very good and barely missed me with a couple cross drops. If I hadnt shot down so many of his strike craft or driven so squirrely he would have nailed me easily like he did most of my team. I think our CV (a Ranger) was botting or just flat out terrible. I had top score on my team and even with the 50% win bonus the enemy carrier had as much xp as I did.

Unlocked the Z-34 but i'm not sure I want to bother.

Thank Poseidon I have the event completed and snagged my ten million spacebucks.

French cruisers arent too bad at low tiers. Got a Kraken in a stock tier IV. Averaging about 65k damage in the tier 3 and 4. Maybe if they actually un-nerf the tier 6 a bit I may actually play this line a bit farther.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

ranbo das posted:

Just took two full separate waves from a strike Ranger because the 2/2/2 hiryu on our team couldn't multitask both offense and defense. I died with a friendly squadron literally 2k away defensive orbiting another bb.

Sure is weekend in here.

Part of the problem is the interface actively hampers multi tasking. I probably need to spend more time with it, but I can't tell you how many times I give my planes orders only to have them do something unexpected. I am sure if I spent more time with it, I would figure out all the random incantations it needs that aren't explained anywhere. Overall, the interface feels like some dated complex PC RTS interface without an instruction manual or positive behavior indicator.

HFX fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 5, 2017

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
WarspiteTurning.txt
http://i.imgur.com/DJ57x1A.gifv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHhn3Om4kAw

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Had a 51k damage Clemson game. Lost

Immediately followed it up with a 41k damage game in the Clemson. Lost.

I think I'm done for now.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rorac posted:

Had a 51k damage Clemson game. Lost

Immediately followed it up with a 41k damage game in the Clemson. Lost.

I think I'm done for now.

I got my Bismark and bailed. I'll come back for the rest of the containers tomorrow.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Finished the Bismarck mission just as I Elite'd my Gneisenau, finished it with a 70.27% WR. Can I play the Bismark in a similar way to the Gneis? I was looking at respeccing my captain who's 13 points just now and was thinking Preventative Maintenance, Adrenaline Rush, Basic Firing Training, Advanced Firing Training for the first 10 points.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Aramoro posted:

Finished the Bismarck mission just as I Elite'd my Gneisenau, finished it with a 70.27% WR. Can I play the Bismark in a similar way to the Gneis? I was looking at respeccing my captain who's 13 points just now and was thinking Preventative Maintenance, Adrenaline Rush, Basic Firing Training, Advanced Firing Training for the first 10 points.

You can play it in the same way except in T10 heavy battles.
I have a similar build with superintendent instead of BFT. I don't often use all my repair/hydro charges so not convinced superintendent is the best. It makes me uses those consumable less conservatively so there is that.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Been trying out a few of the new Encounter mode they've been putting up on the test server. Like the Halloween convoy mode, they're quite fun! Also like the Halloween convoy mode, they're NOT easy.

Aramoro posted:

Asking for a hypothetical friend, how do you play the Gneisenau for a WR like that?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I played my last game last night in a Zao, mainly T8 BBs, with a single T10 on each team.

The enemy's T10 was the Currywurst driven by Flamu.

We won, but only just, and I think Flamu got more exp for his loss than 90% of our team. The man is just utterly breathtaking at this game. I know he has about a billion games in, but he was getting citadels on ships that I would have struggled just to hit.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Redeye Flight posted:

Asking for a hypothetical friend, how do you play the Gneisenau for a WR like that?

I hang back at the start of the match trying to land a few AP volleys on CA's and BB's whilst not overexposing myself. Once the DD's have been spotted you can push in aggressively in an area that's not full of them. Because you're so long it's really hard to avoid DD torps. But you're fast so you can try to break through to where their BB's are trying to snipe from. Once you're up there I'm pretty confident of killing any BB at <12km. At the very least you really disrupt their BB's which makes it much easier for even pubbie teams to win. My normal WR in BB is more like 55-60%, the difference you get with the Gneisenau is because it's fast even if you guess wrong at the start you can make it up and the end, You never lose because you get capped out etc.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Burt posted:

I played my last game last night in a Zao, mainly T8 BBs, with a single T10 on each team.

The enemy's T10 was the Currywurst driven by Flamu.

We won, but only just, and I think Flamu got more exp for his loss than 90% of our team. The man is just utterly breathtaking at this game. I know he has about a billion games in, but he was getting citadels on ships that I would have struggled just to hit.

He seems to be getting better too. His two most recent videos were games in Myoko and Kutosov and were two of the best games I've seen.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I'm so proud of myself. I'm terrible at this game, yet I managed to carry a match yesterday with an adrenaline rush build Scharnhorst.

I like that build, but it really seems to pay off best late game when everyone is almost dead.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

So Kaga is basically an anti-DD carrier, because that's a thing that needed to exist

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

So Kaga is basically an anti-DD carrier, because that's a thing that needed to exist

Every carrier is an anti-dd carrier, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Blindeye posted:

Every carrier is an anti-dd carrier, though?

Not every carrier gets two squadrons of 6 torpedo bombers to make undodgeable pincer attacks though