Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008
Just posting to say I finally paid off my first bass. I now officially own a Squier CV 60's Jazz. I'll probably look at amps over the weekend.

As much as I'd love to play with it, I'm still stuck at work.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Pehther fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

Walked posted:

I think it depends on you.

I've talked to my bass teacher about this a whole good bit; and the conclusion is as long as you work both to a metronome, either can fly.

I personally rake a fuckload. It just works for me. But I spend time every single day working to a metronome too.

So what works for you?
(my opinion could be wrong)

SO, earlier this thread we were talking about amp/cabs for me to upgrade to from my acoustic B200.

I had looked at the Ampeg B2RE, and Ampeg 300H, and a whole bunch of other junk.

Ended up with:
Aguilar GS410 700W 4ohm Cab
Markbass Little Mark II 500W@4ohm Head.

Way overdid it for my skill level. Oops.

Now, if I wanted to save money on the guitar front; do you all think I could pipe a guitar head into the Aguilar cabinet and have it sound decent? Going to give it a whirl with a friends head this weekend anyways; but curious now. :)

If you can turn down the tweeter or switch it off it might sound good, but with the tweeter on it's probably going to be way too bright.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The GS410 has a tweeter knob that gives me full control over it.

I'll have a chance to pair a tube head + les paul with the cab to see how it sounds this weekend. Hopefully it'll be workable; my current guitar amb/cab is a 15W crappy combo; soo this would be nice to have and sound decently.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Walked posted:

So what works for you?
(my opinion could be wrong)
I have a hard enough time keeping locked with the metronome regardless of technique ;) At the end of the day, I'd say it's another weapon in the arsenal. It can only help to practice it and I might as well do it now well I remain open-minded, introspectively humble and, for the most part, honest about my weaknesses. Hopefully I'll never succumb to the habit-formed, my-way-is-the-best-way, everything-else-is-stupid personal despotism (but I'm sure everyone does someday).

An old dog can still learn new tricks if his mind is free. I just need to figure what tricks to learn.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Walked posted:

Now, if I wanted to save money on the guitar front; do you all think I could pipe a guitar head into the Aguilar cabinet and have it sound decent? Going to give it a whirl with a friends head this weekend anyways; but curious now. :)

Turn the tweeter off or you're gonna kill it.

edit: oops, already covered. It'll work, but it is not going to sound all that great, it'll be all lows and mids.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So, I just bought my first bass and amp over the weekend. I ended up getting a Squire vintage modified jaguar bass, and a Fender Rumble 15 Bass Combo Amp for about $376 all together, and so far I'm pretty happy with it.

I took a quick lesson to get the most basic of techniques down, and every day I've been doing scales and spiders for about half of an hour everyday.

Other than that, I've learned a couple songs for the hell of it (Gouge Away and Seven Nation Army (yeah I know it's a guitar song))

Unfortunately with this being my first string instrument, my fingertips aren't very appreciative of what I'm doing with them, but I've been wiping them with rubbing alcohol so hopefully I'll be getting some callouses here soon.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Basic Beater posted:

Seven Nation Army (yeah I know it's a guitar song)

Only in the most technical sense! For that riff anyway

You'll have a lot of fun with it, bass is a blast. You should take a look at studybass.com too, it was a huge help to me and the playalong exercises are really useful

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Rotating gear and getting rid of unused stuff. Posted some pedals, mics, etc. for sale in the gear trades thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2851542&pagenumber=54#lastpost

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Seven Nation Army was the first song I learned on bass, and my band and I are going to be covering it in our regular set with bass, guitar, drums and a singer. It's a fun one to play on bass, if repetative.

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008
Adding to my last post, I picked up a Peavey Max 158 yesterday after work. Great deals on both that and the Squier CV Jazz. I bought both used and saved about 200 bucks between the two. Haven't found anything wrong with either one yet.

I'd post a picture of the amp but I can't seem to get it uploaded to waffleimages at the moment.

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos
Has anyone tried any of the Ashdown MAG heads? I've been looking at heads for practice and gigging, and a really good deal just popped up on one of the 600w ones, but I haven't gotten a chance to play through any ashdown stuff. I'm a huge fan of tube amps and would ideally play through an all-tube head to get a little bit of overdrive, and I was wondering if there was any way I could get anything close to that tone with the mag or with a pedal with it?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Panda Bear posted:

Has anyone tried any of the Ashdown MAG heads? I've been looking at heads for practice and gigging, and a really good deal just popped up on one of the 600w ones, but I haven't gotten a chance to play through any ashdown stuff. I'm a huge fan of tube amps and would ideally play through an all-tube head to get a little bit of overdrive, and I was wondering if there was any way I could get anything close to that tone with the mag or with a pedal with it?

I had a Mag 300H head and it was an ok amp but pretty... Eh how should I put it, boring by itself. With a few pedals it was passable but I sold it pretty fast.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Panda Bear posted:

There's no drive option on the MAG series, but they're nice solid amps in my experience. I'm thinking of getting one as a cheaper backup for my ABM head if we go touring.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Basic Beater posted:

So, I just bought my first bass and amp over the weekend. I ended up getting a Squire vintage modified jaguar bass, and a Fender Rumble 15 Bass Combo Amp for about $376 all together, and so far I'm pretty happy with it.

I took a quick lesson to get the most basic of techniques down, and every day I've been doing scales and spiders for about half of an hour everyday.

Other than that, I've learned a couple songs for the hell of it (Gouge Away and Seven Nation Army (yeah I know it's a guitar song))

Unfortunately with this being my first string instrument, my fingertips aren't very appreciative of what I'm doing with them, but I've been wiping them with rubbing alcohol so hopefully I'll be getting some callouses here soon.

I'd tell you to learn Feel Good Inc, but that requires drop D tuning and none of the tabs online are accurate (you can however learn how to play it from the video if you're crazy) since its a pretty simple yet awesome bass song with a good rhythm and is good for learning timing.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone tell me what I'd need to record sound+video at a decent quality? I have a somewhat decent flip-like cam, also a web-cam on my macbook pro... Would a firebox or comparable recording interface be good for the audio? What would I need to do to sync the two?

Here's the idea: I'm essentially wanting to turn this thread into like a web-series, which I'm probably going to call "BASSic Training." Not necessarily lessons (although technique and such will be covered), but just a general intro/improvement series revolving around playing bass and bass gear. I've already got some topics lined up as well as a name and all. Just need some proper recording/producing equipment.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 11, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
On a Mac it's trivially easy. Just get an interface of some sort, fire up Photobooth, set the interface as the audio input, and away you go.

Just get an interface with at least two channels and a basic microphone for your voiceovers. I'd highly recommend a Duet - it's a little expensive for the featureset but goddamn do the preamps sound awesome with bass.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I said I'd post the results of my refinishing project, so here it is...oh yeah, I bought this one from Schatten like a year ago.
crossposted, oh snap!

My Jaguar Bass is finally done!
This was my first time refinishing anything, so it took me forever and I made a lot of small errors which required me to sand it all the way back to bare wood each time. Sanding by hand is hell. Once I saw Thurston Moore's trans-green Jazzmaster I was set on copping that finish, I was awestruck! So here it is (click for biggun's)

It started out candy apple red with a white pickguard. I have to give a big thanks to the dudes at reranch.com for guidance and also for providing the decal! I really learned a lot while doing this project, and now I want to do even more.
I "routed" the middle pickup cavity with a wood chisel -- it's a Rickenbacker HB2 humbucker, which I believe are on the 4004 series basses but good luck finding any information about the actual pickup. I had to buy it direct from them. I hated the pickups that came with this, so they have been replaced with Dimarzio Model Js, which were a terrible creme color but some Rustoleum solved that (it's on the pickguard too). I got rid of the preamp, so now the three switches are NECK/MIDDLE/BRIDGE on/offs, with a master volume and tone. The other switch is SERIES/PARALLEL for the HB2. The roller knobs are currently unused. Well, one gives you more rock and the other, more roll, I guess.
Anyway, it has a nitro finish except for the neck, which is still poly because I wasn't confident in stripping it. The headstock is nitro.
It's tuned BEAD and the pickups sound MASSIVE, just beautiful! This is my dream!
Oh yeah, I firmly believe that adding a number to any name makes it cooler, so that's that.

My three loves:

The SBV-500, which I adore, has a sparkly finish but you can't see it here. The pickups are great, unique sounding Js, and the build quality is excellent -- at least equal to my MIJ Jaguar Bass -- and it's made in Taiwan! Surprising! Finding this, here, with the price I paid ($200 and it was in a $300 gig bag) was a once-in-a-lifetime chance I think. This is a reissue of a 60's bass that was sold in the early 2000s, one of five different models. They stopped making these in 2006/7, but here in the US I think they became rare a few years before that. I love it!

The Wagoneer...I posted this before. There isn't much else to be said about it, other than that the seatbelt was cut out of my first car, as is the door emblem embedded in the body. It has a SD Quarter Pound and a GFS MM-style pickup. I am confident that if you beat someone to death with it, it would stay in tune.

Okay, I'm done.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 9, 2011

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Achtane posted:

My three loves:

Loving your Jag and especially the Yamaha one! I'm fond of oddball finishes in general. Also, I really, really, really love SBV-500's odd body shape and would buy one in a heart-beat. I pray they'll some day make another reissue. :saddowns:

And to save my breath, I'll just add my banana pudding beauty aka Fender Mike Dirnt Precision (MIM) here. She's perfect for playing now: the luthier had to warm and bend the neck a bit and oil the truss rod and smooth the fret ends but it was all well worth it. In addition, the guy asked only for 30 euros for all this since he thinks a new instrument should be properly set-up by the music shop itself. Well, when I said I'll pay 20 € in cash and the remaining ten euros with my credit card, he told that twenty is enough. He added that if I ever see his car stuck in a ditch, help him push it out of there. He's a lovely fellow who always asks too little for superior craftsmanship.

I strung her with Ernie Ball flatwounds, the tone is AWESOME. The action is now set perfectly, I'm just totally in love. Too bad only the headstock pic came out nice. Too sunny for my photographing skills.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Achtane posted:

Dude... Clips!

Also, I got to once again meet my idol, George Porter Jr. This time I got to chat with him for a bit and got him to sign a set-list that my roommate snagged for me :)

Looking at the list as he signed it he said "Hey, we played all of these! Oh, I added one in at the end there... let me fix this for you."

I can't believe I got to hear George Porter Jr. do Ease Back, People Say, No More Okey Doke, and Sneakin Sally through the Alley, 3 ft. from me. I'm still giddy.

sup Lakland buddy :cool:

Scarf fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 12, 2011

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Achtane posted:

So... pretty... want one...

Nice work.

I got some new (to me) strings to put on my cheap upright. These strings were given to me by a guy who mainly plays orchestral music, and the strings have lost their nice arco tone, but they still sound great with pizz! I finally got to remove the 5-year-old-plus strings on that beast, and it opened up the tone quite a bit. The strings sounded great at Chicago jazz fest last month considering they had been put on four days before, and they are now properly settling in to this bass.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Achtane posted:

My three loves:

That's a fine collection you have there. The Jag is beautiful! I love green guitars and I love the fact that there are not many of them around, it looks wonderous.

Also, the active j-pickup config with the ricky-esque soapbar in the middle must sound monsterous, you must unleash this thin on Youtube.

Also, the Yamaha, oh my have I wanted one of those for a long time, so styling, look excellent in matte black...

Anyway, I just purchased some Elixir strings for my 5 string Squier, the thing will sound like a complete bastard soon! It sounded alright when I bought it, went downhill with the crappy strings combined with some fairly average pickups, but these strings should make it sound better than new, a good in-betweener since I can't afford new pickups for it.

I bought an Ibanez ATK last year, it has Elixirs on it stock, the things are sill going and still sound and feel amazing. I am smitten. best strings ever.

Though they are not cheap, but they DO last 3-5 times longer than average strings so, go figure...

(the bastard)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I picked up bass around September.

Been playing a lot since then; have an instructor, try to jam with people.

Just went to a band audition and got invited back. I was easily the worst on there, but I was pretty low key, had a good time, and kept in sync with the drummer (and everyone else) considering I didnt know a single song they were playing.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Scarf posted:

Anyone tell me what I'd need to record sound+video at a decent quality? I have a somewhat decent flip-like cam, also a web-cam on my macbook pro... Would a firebox or comparable recording interface be good for the audio? What would I need to do to sync the two?

Here's the idea: I'm essentially wanting to turn this thread into like a web-series, which I'm probably going to call "BASSic Training." Not necessarily lessons (although technique and such will be covered), but just a general intro/improvement series revolving around playing bass and bass gear. I've already got some topics lined up as well as a name and all. Just need some proper recording/producing equipment.

The Firebox should be fine. Two XLR is perfect for what you're trying to do - one for your voice and one for your bass.

If you want my recommendation though, buy a pre-amp such as the Mackie 402-VLZ3 ($100)and put it in front of the firebox. The Mackie preamps sounds GREAT for bass and produce very rich vocal tones as well. Mackie used to exclusively sell big boards, but now they offer the same awesome equipment but scaled down to fit the needs of home recording, and at $100 its a great deal. Its well worth the cost.

Of course, this is not necessary as the firebox will be fine on its own - but it can be great sounding with a tube preamp in front of it. But if you're uploading this as a 480p youtube video, its going to compress the audio anyways...

In terms of syncing up audio and video this pretty much covers it -

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

On a Mac it's trivially easy. Just get an interface of some sort, fire up Photobooth, set the interface as the audio input, and away you go.

Just get an interface with at least two channels and a basic microphone for your voiceovers. I'd highly recommend a Duet - it's a little expensive for the featureset but goddamn do the preamps sound awesome with bass.

The webcam will definitely be the easiest (Caveat emptor: I use a mac but I don't have any experience with photobooth).

I would try experimenting with your flipcam as well since it probably records better video than does your webcam. In iMovie, just set the video input to record from your camera and the audio input to record from your Firebox interface and record away.

If the audio is desynced somehow (unlikely) you can use iMovie to adjust the video/audio time codes to synchronize them.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Can anyone suggest some more-contemporary styles of country/country-rock basslines?

I know root-fifth is common with some walks between chord changes. Got that down, real easy, no problem and it works for a lot of this newer/rock country thats being played.

What other sorts of walks should I be toying with?

Chromatic walks seem to sound mostly like poo poo, generally.

Just looking for thoughts, things to toy with.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Walked posted:

Can anyone suggest some more-contemporary styles of country/country-rock basslines?

I know root-fifth is common with some walks between chord changes. Got that down, real easy, no problem and it works for a lot of this newer/rock country thats being played.

You could look into some of the jazzier rockabilly stuff; Brian Setzer usually has a good bass player. Jazz in general is the great liberator when you get to the point of branching out a little. Just playing along with some of the older/gentler stuff for inspiration will leave its traces in anything you play.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I'd recommend looking back to old rock groups that drew from country/folk/bluegrass for inspiration. New Riders of the Purple Sage, Grateful Dead, THE BAND (I can't stress that one enough), hell even some Skynyrd man! WOOOO!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Walked posted:

Seconding the previous replies.

As a jazz player, I have noticed that knowledge of walking technique has really given me more ability to dink around with bass lines. If I think a bass line in a cover song is too repetitive or not busy enough for the situation, I find myself throwing in patterns or motifs that I found through walking.

I'm also in a swing band with fairly simple, often cheesy, music for the most part. If I'm feeling too lazy to properly walk a line, or if the song is particularly cheesy, I usually fall into a simple pattern of
code:
beat 1----2--3--4---1
-----root-3--5--6--5root 
or 
beat 1----2--3--4--1--2--3--4
-----root-3--5--6-57--6--5--3
If you do standard 12-bar-blues type songs, having two or three go-to ways to do the turnaround are handy also.

I hope that all makes sense when viewed from outside my twisted mind...

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Walked posted:

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. You just need to learn how to use chromatics properly.

The most basic use of chromatics is to approach the next chord. Don't throw chromatics into your line without a purpose or direction to them. They should go somewhere - they shouldn't be there to just fill out space.

Let's say we're playing a tune in A major, with a simple I V I change. You could simply outline (if you don't know the basic chord shapes you really ought to learn them) the chords by playing something like this:

code:
  I(Amaj) V(E7)   I
|-------------------|
|-----------6-9-6-7-|
|---4-7-4-7---------|
|-5-----------------|
Sure, that works. But... eh. Going back to the third doesn't give the line very much direction.

Or, you could add some chromatics in to make the line more interesting.

Check it out, this is one of the most common bass lines that feature chromatics.
code:
  I(Amaj) V(E7)   I
|-------------------|
|-----------4-5-6-7-|
|---4-5-6-7---------|
|-5-----------------|

For the I-V, instead of just playing "Root third fifth" and so on, you approach the next chord chromatically. In this case, we're approaching the E7 chord by playing A C# D D# E. This sounds good because you're playing in the key, but you just add one chromatic note so that you're moving in one direction AND it works out rhythmically. The D# sounds good because it wants to approach the E, which you're going to play next. This is a very common bassline.

The V-I change is basically the same thing. You're walking up the scale, and you add the G just to fill the line out and give it direction towards the A chord.

Read this. It is a pretty good guide, but perhaps not the best resource if you're not used to reading sheet music.

Or just listen to jazz. :B

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

By chord shapes, shall I interpret that to mean knowing the shape of a seventh/minor/major/dim chord's notes as if you were to play them individually? i.e. knowing and being able to hit a G Bb D for a G Minor.

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
Nice modding projects ITT.

Thought I would post my work in progress.

Early 90's Custom Shop Pedulla MVP5, bought it really beat up. Played a few overseas gigs and decided to make it my own.

Anyway, this project on bass forums has both disgusted and excited bass players.

Take a 4000 dollar bass that could be given a nice restoration. But instead be modified so it will retain none of its possible value because I wanted to. :colbert:

I stripped and sold all of the old hardware (Including Bartolinis, cant stant them). Bought all new black hardware which consist of Schaller 3D in Black, Hipshot Ultralite blacks, EMG MMTW, EMG P5 pups, EMG BQC pre-amp wired for 27Volts.(3 9 volts) DR Neons in Green.

Stripped the finish myself with a heatgun. Before stripping i took a careful photo of the original logo, gave it too a goon with photoshopping skillz who turned it into a vector image and sent it to another goon who specialises in decals.

Routed out the body for the Emg MMTW and moved the P pickup rout as the original one was offcenter and the EMG P5 magnet wouldnt pick up the G string.

Now it has been resprayed, heres a few photos after its third coat. Its a neon green with blacklight properties. Should go well with the DR Neon strings!

The last clear coat has been applied with the logo going on just underneath it, waiting for the finish to cure, then assembled!

Should go well with my current stable of tragically understated basses.

(Fender Deluxe USA V Jazz and P)

Asomodai fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 22, 2011

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I bought an 80s Peavey Foundation yesterday. It's got all the things I like about jazzes with meatier pickups. Unfortunately it's got the notorious truss rod that is almost impossible to get to (for some reason they are really short and you need a special wrench to adjust) but it doesn't need adjusting luckily. Anyway, it covers my Jazz needs perfectly for half the cost of a Squier so I can't really complain.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm looking to pick up an electric bass and I ran across these: http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html
Anyone know much about them and whether or not they'd be good starters? I'm kinda in love with the prices, but if they're no good I'll just hold off until I can afford a fleabass.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'm looking to pick up an electric bass and I ran across these: http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html
Anyone know much about them and whether or not they'd be good starters? I'm kinda in love with the prices, but if they're no good I'll just hold off until I can afford a fleabass.

People here tend to be fans, including me. Rondo even has its own thread. My dad bought their cheapest fretless jazz bass, and aside from it needing to be setup, it sounds really good and plays great. They're definitely good starters, but above all they're solid instruments.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Manky posted:

People here tend to be fans, including me. Rondo even has its own thread. My dad bought their cheapest fretless jazz bass, and aside from it needing to be setup, it sounds really good and plays great. They're definitely good starters, but above all they're solid instruments.

Oh cool! In that case the only question left is what's the difference between the Ursa 1 and the Ursa 2? I see from the pictures that the pickups are in different places, but I don't even know what that actually means.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I'd stick with the rondo over the fleabass. Unless they've changed things since they first launched, they're pretty much considered to be poorly made and nowhere near worth the price asked.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Oh cool! In that case the only question left is what's the difference between the Ursa 1 and the Ursa 2? I see from the pictures that the pickups are in different places, but I don't even know what that actually means.

They also have different pickups altogether - the 1 has a precision bass pickup, while the 2 has two jazz bass pickups. That just means they'll have a different range of sounds, which one you want depends on what you want to sound like. Look up some bands you like, see what the bassist is playing. Jazz basses are probably the most common you'll see in popular music, but by no means to exclusion of all else.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Southern Heel posted:

By chord shapes, shall I interpret that to mean knowing the shape of a seventh/minor/major/dim chord's notes as if you were to play them individually? i.e. knowing and being able to hit a G Bb D for a G Minor.

Yes.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I'm going in to one of the local tattoo shops to get this done:

I found a guitar tattoo on GIS, tweaked a bunch of stuff with it, and now it's getting permanently installed on the inside of my left bicep :woop:

My Dean fretless-5 has something loose inside it. Whenever I'm plugged in and I either tap the pickup, or knock on the body or anything like that, I can hear a metallic ringing sound through the amp. It sounds somewhat like the sound a lightbulb with a busted filament does when you shake it, but not that high-pitched. I'm hoping to open her up and poke around a bit, but I have no idea where to start and I need the bass for a concert in less than two weeks...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

CaseFace McGee posted:

My Dean fretless-5 has something loose inside it. Whenever I'm plugged in and I either tap the pickup, or knock on the body or anything like that, I can hear a metallic ringing sound through the amp. It sounds somewhat like the sound a lightbulb with a busted filament does when you shake it, but not that high-pitched. I'm hoping to open her up and poke around a bit, but I have no idea where to start and I need the bass for a concert in less than two weeks...

I'd start by opening up the electronics cavity and checking to see if all the connections are secure. Beyond that... no clue. Never run into that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumfartcocktails
Sep 18, 2010
Anybody have any thoughts about integrating guitar gear into a bass rig? I've been trying different things with my bass gear, which includes a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 though a Line6 PodXT Live, Ampeg STV 350H with an 8x10 cab, and it can't really give the clarity I need. I like to hit the strings at the end of the fretboard so they get a lot of separation, kind of like Steve Harris does, and with a lot of mids, but when I'm riding on the low B it gives me a super harsh clacking sound but there's no actual note (death metal/hardcore/mathcore player). I'm going to be buying a Peavey Triple X guitar head soon, and am thinking maybe I could use separate guitar and bass heads into smaller cabs to give me a nicer sound. I like the way guitar distortion sounds with a top-heavy bass due to having more aggression than a bass distortion, but it of course cuts away all the lows, so I could try getting the best of both worlds. I know this isn't a new idea and believe Chris Squire did it, and his tone was god-tier. I was thinking if I were to do this I would get a 2x12 for the guitar and a 1x15 and 2x10 or 2x15 for the bass and sell the 8x10. It's an American made that I got super cheap so I bet I could break even. Thoughts? Any modifications I would need to make? Is it even possible for a bass to be audible when chugging on an open Bb at all? Am I an idiot bassist with too many hopes and dreams who should just give up and stick with a plain-looking J-bass and a Sansamp? Should the vocalist in my band stop trying to tell me how to dial in tones? So many questions......if you bother to read this you have my undying bro love.