Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Orv posted:

in Crew you are the car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Accurate.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
So they're taking a cue from Sonic All-Stars Racing: Transformed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe the next big event after that is actual transformers.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

So I just noticed that the Crypt of the Necrodancer devs have a page up for their next game Industries of Titan.

From what I gather, they're making their own version of the future Anno games with production lines, customizable battleship combat, and Danny Baranowsky doing the soundtrack again.

https://twitter.com/IndustriesGame/status/900976222032678913

Hopefully they won't die like the last devs who tried to jump from roguelikes to city builders.

RIP Gaslamp.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

NICE

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

So Elder Scrolls Online has me download 60 GBs from Steam... and what launches after that loving herculean task is an installer, which says I need to download another 87 GBs. I don't even have that much space remaining on my loving SSD, so even though I apparently already have most of the game's data (according to the forums) I can't actually finish the install without buying a loving external HD. Great loving job guys.

I'm so glad Steam isn't doing anything about wildly-out-of-control download and install sizes, especially when the game doesn't actually require nearly that much space and it's 100% dev laziness/stupidity, like 33% of DOOM's install size being uncompressed foreign-language audio that you don't even need because you can select your language ahead of time.

Go to the game folder. Delete the game files. Run the launcher again (from the game folder.)

You'll have to download everything still; but at least you'll have the space.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Ugh. I really wish Squeenix would do remasters with the same art style as the originals, I hate this ultra kawaii :keke: poo poo. At least it's not as bad as their mobile ports I guess.

Also, there's no gameplay in that trailer. Keep your pants on, people.

Cowcaster posted:

i comment not on its quality although i think it was legendarily buggy even for an square snes title, but on the fact it sold like 6 or 7 copies

It was tragically flawed. Great visuals and soundtrack, more responsive combat than Mana, plus they got rid of spell grinding and 20 second charge attacks. But the level design was loving awful. Jungle maze, desert teleporter maze, cave maze, multiple literal sewer levels, HUGE castle maze, limited visibility teleporter maze, pyramid maze... you get the idea.

As for "legendarily buggy", it had a hilarious stat overflow bug that let you get godlike stats early in the game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ceyton, it could literally be a cut and paste gameplay wise with those graphics and I'm still excited: an excuse to revisit these games! A way to own SoM on Steam! A chance to dream about them doing SD3, the best game on the SNES!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So, uh, is it still :filez: when a developer puts their game up on Piratebay? Because the developers of Darkwood just did.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ceyton posted:

Ugh. I really wish Squeenix would do remasters with the same art style as the originals, I hate this ultra kawaii :keke: poo poo.
I mean Secret of Mana had a pretty cute art style so I'm not sure what you mean

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey Steam thread, those of you that played Tacoma a question: Am I supposed to assume that Odin was the one who opened the door into that room that the crew wasn't allowed to go into? Before you go into that room, you find his training room and his compliance score is always middling at best, and its line on the graph never goes up. So I read that as he's trying to not comply with the rules that the cooperation is trying to get him to do (kill the crew). He keeps saying "I cannot stop you from doing X" because I assume he doesn't want to stop them. It's obvious he just wants to help all of them.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mordja posted:

So, uh, is it still :filez: when a developer puts their game up on Piratebay? Because the developers of Darkwood just did.

Holy poo poo

quote:

"Steam lets you refund a game if you haven't played it for more than 2 hours, and as a developer we can see the reason why people refunded it. When we read the explanation from someone who wrote that he needed the refund because he didn't want his parents to be stressed out when seeing the bill at the end of the month... well, it made us feel quite bad," the studio explained on Imgur.

"So we decided to do something about it! If you don't have the money and want to play the game, we have a safe torrent on the Pirate Bay of the latest version of Darkwood (1.0 hotfix 3), completely DRM-free. There's no catch, no added pirate hats for characters or anything like that. We have just one request: if you like Darkwood and want us to continue making games, consider buying it in the future, maybe on a sale, through Steam, GOG or Humble Store."

These poor people have hearts too pure for the roiling cesspool that is the Steam community. I really hope this works out for them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ceyton posted:

Ugh. I really wish Squeenix would do remasters with the same art style as the originals, I hate this ultra kawaii :keke: poo poo. At least it's not as bad as their mobile ports I guess.

Also, there's no gameplay in that trailer. Keep your pants on, people.

It was tragically flawed. Great visuals and soundtrack, more responsive combat than Mana, plus they got rid of spell grinding and 20 second charge attacks. But the level design was loving awful. Jungle maze, desert teleporter maze, cave maze, multiple literal sewer levels, HUGE castle maze, limited visibility teleporter maze, pyramid maze... you get the idea.

As for "legendarily buggy", it had a hilarious stat overflow bug that let you get godlike stats early in the game.

figuring out how to traverse the forest maze all by myself as a gamer child by following the imps in trees: good memory

finding out years later that the forest maze wasn't an infinite looping thing like the original legend of zelda's lost woods and by discerning the correct patch quickly i ended up missing out on various items and stuff: bad memory

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Too Shy Guy posted:

These poor people have hearts too pure for the roiling cesspool that is the Steam community. I really hope this works out for them.

I know nothing about this game, but if the game is good people will buy it eventually. Witcher 3 isn't a perfect comparison, but that game had no DRM at all and it could easily be downloaded from torrent sites. As far as I can tell that did nothing to hurt the game's success

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

New Steam beta has this in the changelog:

quote:

Steam will now use library folders on other drives to download game updates in case the primary drive doesn’t have enough space left

Good news to me because my games drive keeps getting filled. Couldn't download 5.5GB update because it needed 35GB of free space. Now it can be stored elsewhere, yay.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cowcaster posted:

figuring out how to traverse the forest maze all by myself as a gamer child by following the imps in trees: good memory

finding out years later that the forest maze wasn't an infinite looping thing like the original legend of zelda's lost woods and by discerning the correct patch quickly i ended up missing out on various items and stuff: bad memory
I thought the manual told you exactly how to get through the Lost Woods.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

We've actually reached an age where it's easier to buy a game than to pirate it. That was not always the case.

Until Steam became a big deal, you could buy the game for 40-60 dollars, install it across five CDs, and then have to keep one in the drive at all times to make it work. If your CD is scratched, or your computer doesn't like the game, gently caress you because Wal-Mart or Best Buy aren't doing returns on software. Or you could pirate it, install it, copy an executable, and maybe also download a cracked patch if there is one, and play the game. The big cracking groups bundled the crack with the game and there were never viruses in there, or at least not in anything I installed. Usually the pirated version would run better because it didn't run the copy protection stuff.

Now you click a couple buttons, pay less than 30 dollars, download it, and play it. If you pirate it, you have to find a copy, download it, make sure it doesn't have a bitcoin mining virus or cryptolocker, copy the crack, get a virus anyway, get an angry letter from your ISP, and then every day or two you manually update the game with cracked patches. Repeat steps 1-5 each time you patch.

I assume most people pirating games now are dumb kids and people who live in regions where you can't get the games you want.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Scalding Coffee posted:

I thought the manual told you exactly how to get through the Lost Woods.

yeah but what i meant was if you don't take the right route through the lost woods it'll just loop forever. i thought the forest in secret of evermore worked like that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

We've actually reached an age where it's easier to buy a game than to pirate it. That was not always the case.

Until Steam became a big deal, you could buy the game for 40-60 dollars, install it across five CDs, and then have to keep one in the drive at all times to make it work. If your CD is scratched, or your computer doesn't like the game, gently caress you because Wal-Mart or Best Buy aren't doing returns on software. Or you could pirate it, install it, copy an executable, and maybe also download a cracked patch if there is one, and play the game. The big cracking groups bundled the crack with the game and there were never viruses in there, or at least not in anything I installed. Usually the pirated version would run better because it didn't run the copy protection stuff.

Now you click a couple buttons, pay less than 30 dollars, download it, and play it. If you pirate it, you have to find a copy, download it, make sure it doesn't have a bitcoin mining virus or cryptolocker, copy the crack, get a virus anyway, get an angry letter from your ISP, and then every day or two you manually update the game with cracked patches. Repeat steps 1-5 each time you patch.

I assume most people pirating games now are dumb kids and people who live in regions where you can't get the games you want.

Cursory research on DRM-cracking would tell you you're vastly overestimating both the dangers AND the difficulties of pirating a game. However, you're pretty much right that digital services made a decent dent on piracy - not just in games, but in everything else, really. Continued support for your games, online MP, even download speeds are faster. Steam gets max speed here 100% of the time, torrents depend on seeding and FTP servers...well, I downloaded the Fantasy Strike beta last weekend and I got 10% of my full download speed.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Danganronpa V3 has a demo now and it features an original scenario without any spoilers, per dev post.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ceyton posted:

yeah, but you had to do some pretty specific things to make it happen. like you had to save while buffed, then reset the game, then notice that saving while buffed reduced your stats to their un-buffed values, and that when the buff wears off, your total stat drops by the buffed amount, but also know enough about snes math that going below 0 will take it to 65000. it's not something that you could reasonably expect the average player to find when it came out.

sure, it's a broken-rear end bug, but it's not exactly something you come across even with trial and error unless you constantly, meticulously monitor your hard stat numbers.

Ceyton posted:

plus they got rid of spell grinding

they kept spell grinding

Dias posted:

Cursory research on DRM-cracking would tell you you're vastly overestimating both the dangers AND the difficulties of pirating a game.

naw, it's just like he says. shitcoiners have ruined everything, from gpu prices to your ability to download any executable that's less than 100% above board (and even actual above-board software... wasn't there something very recently where some eastern bloc dev stuffed bitcoin malware in their legal release? maybe i'm misremembering and it was related to steam idlers). i mean, they even crashed the "value" of their own diarrheal currency :v: poo poo man there's modified distros of cheatengine out there with stealth mining poo poo hidden in so you constantly gotta be careful as hell

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 25, 2017

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I thought The Crew was pretty fun, but it pisses me the hell off. I played it when it came out in '14 December, and wanted to get back to it a couple times since then to replay it /w DLCs and updates. Thing is, they never bothered to implement a way to start a new game. It's mind-boggling. You'd have to buy a second copy on a different Uplay account to do it. I don't think I've ever played another game where you straight up couldn't delete your character or restart the campaign, and The Crew has been like that for nearly three years now. :wtc:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

C.M. Kruger posted:

Hopefully they won't die like the last devs who tried to jump from roguelikes to city builders.

RIP Gaslamp.

Was just going to post that. Last time roguelike dev jumped to city, well, yeah 5+ years in the hole with nothing to show before imploding into the abyss is a sad way for Gaslamp to end.

Maybe Brace Yourself will have better luck but I can't imagine they have bigger coffers than Gaslamp did. Anyways if they pull it off I'd get it.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Xaris posted:

Was just going to post that. Last time roguelike dev jumped to city, well, yeah 5+ years in the hole with nothing to show before imploding into the abyss is a sad way for Gaslamp to end.

Sigh. Never did get dreadmore on phones.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

yeah, but you had to do some pretty specific things to make it happen. like you had to save while buffed, then reset the game, then notice that saving while buffed reduced your stats to their un-buffed values, and that when the buff wears off, your total stat drops by the buffed amount, but also know enough about snes math that going below 0 will take it to 65000. it's not something that you could reasonably expect the average player to find when it came out.

sure, it's a broken-rear end bug, but it's not exactly something you come across even with trial and error unless you constantly, meticulously monitor your hard stat numbers.

there's like 5 separate bugs that'll put the game in an unwinnable state dude one of which i remember causing by accident personally (somehow you can skip the rat boss, but when you go back through his area it's all walled off with boxes that are supposed to be removed when he died and you can't go back the way you came. hope you didn't save!)

edit:
i just remembered off the top of my head that except for the initial ammo type for the bazooka, the game didn't actually consume bazooka ammo when you fired it. buying a single bazooka shell gave you infinite ammo for it. that's the level of quality control we're talking here.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 25, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

strategery posted:

Sigh. Never did get dreadmore on phones.

They really should have just aimed to make Dredmor 2 first imo, build up some more capital or something. Idk

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man pulling up the gamefaq on it is a trip.

quote:

Ebon Keep's Jail Door Bug
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I received so many mails about this glitch, and honestly I cannot solve it.
The problem is that this bug occurs when you are trying to go through the
sewers towards Ebon Keep. You will end up in a prison area nearly identical
to the one in Ivor Tower, although the color scheme is different. Many people
seem to get stuck here for some unknown reason. In my guide I wrote that you
have to open all the jails and walk into the last remaining cell in order to
continue on, but this doesn't always seem to work...

After doing some research I noticed that Grizzly's map of this area had a
bug with description on it, which might be the actual problem. The bug is
described as follows. You should NOT open the upper left jail last (the one
to the left of the wooden door). Perhaps that room was glitched so you could
not reach Ebon Keep. So whatever you do; don't open that door last!

quote:

Losing your ship
Fly around and descend somewhere near the NE corner, near an island (I think
it was). You'll land in Tinker's tower without a ship. DONT save it, as you
cannot get your ship back. This does not seem to work for every copy of the
game though (I think this may only apply to the US version, because I can't
get this trick to work with my European Game).

quote:

Bypass Verminator
If you go all the way through the forest and to Ebon Keep, don't fight
Verminator. Head back to the chess board and the bridge to Ivor Tower will be
gone, but the one to Ebon Keep will be there instead. Continue on through and
you can talk to Tinker and Queen Camellia. This means that you can totally
cut out the fight with that rat king. The problem is you can't go through the
door where Verminator is/was because the boxes still block it. Also the game
might freeze if you try to enter his room. Hence DON'T do this if you want
to end your game the way it was supposed to be!

quote:

Tiny doesn't like the Dog
If you meet up with Tiny while being Frisket the game get's stuck.
Persumably, because it was scripted for the Boy Matrix to move. Since you
usually control Matrix it seems that the debug team oversaw this issue.

quote:

Tiny shuts the gate tight, if you refuse him the first time
Again, when opening the gate to Tiny if you leave the scene after unlocking
the gate but before meeting him. The gate will be locked again if you
reenter. Next to that the door will be locked permanently, as the switches
can only be triggered once...

and the list goes on

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
well, i didn't know about stuff like that. that's some pretty hard-life bugs brah, and rat king comes after that awful teleporter maze.

also re: secret of mana's uguu :keke: style, if you still have your manual, or if you can find scans of it, those are basically cel-shaded model versions of the dolls they made for the instruction booklet + promotional materials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHDcHOJhRTc
this commercial, for example

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 25, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Hey Steam thread, those of you that played Tacoma a question: Am I supposed to assume that Odin was the one who opened the door into that room that the crew wasn't allowed to go into? Before you go into that room, you find his training room and his compliance score is always middling at best, and its line on the graph never goes up. So I read that as he's trying to not comply with the rules that the cooperation is trying to get him to do (kill the crew). He keeps saying "I cannot stop you from doing X" because I assume he doesn't want to stop them. It's obvious he just wants to help all of them.

It is indeed what you think.

I figure it's more that ODIN's independence score gets really high but compliance could be a part of it. The way I saw it, it's one of those "There's no rule that says a dog can't play basketball" type situations. There's nothing in ODIN that says "Don't open the door for no reason" so the door is opened for no reason. It is definitely coded in ODIN to tell the contractors that they shouldn't go in the door that is open because only authorized employees are allowed so ODIN says you definitely shouldn't go in there. ODIN is not allowed to interfere with contractors, only record and report their actions, hence the constant refrain that he cannot stop them from doing whatever they want to do with that open door that they shouldn't go in and is open.

Admittedly not the most original character moment for an AI to have but it's fine.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean Secret of Mana had a pretty cute art style so I'm not sure what you mean

I was hoping for something more like Stardew Valley. I actually kind of liked the subdued-due-to-technical-limitations anime schmaltz in the original SoM and SD3, but Square's recent remakes crank the :nyoron: up to 11 and I find it repulsive.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I kinda just wish since it's an original remaster and not a port of some mobile poo poo that it looked it. Cause those screenshots are incredibly unflattering and if they wanted to do a cutesy art style it would have looked a million times better cel shaded a la Wind Waker or DQVIII. Right now it looks like an uprezzed mobile port, which I guess could be the case if the Vita was the main dev platform.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I don't know what the gently caress i'm playing, but Observer is increasingly moving from sleeper hit to my Game of the Year.

It's quite an amazing horror/cyberpunk game.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

WMain00 posted:

I don't know what the gently caress i'm playing, but Observer is increasingly moving from sleeper hit to my Game of the Year.

It's quite an amazing horror/cyberpunk game.

I'm still amazed the devs of Layers of Fear can acutally make a good game.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The look of the SoM remake kinda reminds of Link Between Worlds. It'll probably be better when we see some gameplay that isn't all zoomed in.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Xaris posted:

Maybe Brace Yourself will have better luck but I can't imagine they have bigger coffers than Gaslamp did. Anyways if they pull it off I'd get it.

IMO Gaslamp made a couple big mistakes in their basic design process that cost them time and money. They decided to make their own engine from scratch, and it felt like they were never able to fully commit to either a Anno-style logistics chain game, or a lower scale Dwarf Fortress style settlement manager where you build individual dwellings instead of just slapping down some road and a generic dwelling/residential zoning.

Comparatively, Brace Yourself is using the Unreal engine and it sounds like they've fully committed to the higher-level Anno/Tropico/Cities Skylines style of gameplay.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Enter the Gungeon is getting another update soon.

quote:

The focus of the update is on community requested changes, quality of life and convenience features, hundreds of new and substantially more powerful synergies, a bunch of new guns and items, and getting revenge on the Gungeon’s most hated resident, our new boss. Of course there will also be new rooms, npcs, secrets, and a new mini-boss. Our primary focus was to make the Gungeon a more generous place, while retaining options, for players who really engage with the difficulty of the game.

If you tried Gungeon in the past and found it too hard, too stingy, or too slow- this update will be the version for you.
If you liked it just the way it was, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered as well.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I hope they make the game less poo poo but I'm not holding my breath.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Begemot posted:

The look of the SoM remake kinda reminds of Link Between Worlds. It'll probably be better when we see some gameplay that isn't all zoomed in.

I'm probably being way too hard on it but this is one of my childhood faves so DON'T gently caress THIS UP Square Enix. I found someone selling the SNES cart for 60 bucks the other day and didn't jump on it because I am retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you shouldn't have jumped on it anyway that would've broken the cartridge