Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bill Roper said that the team’s “initial pitch, in a nutshell, was to take the excitement and randomness of games like Moria, Nethack, and Rogue, and bring them into the 1990s with fantastic graphics and sound

Stop arguing with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Looking forward to each manual taking up a separate consumable inventory slot.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If there is indeed a difference between an ARPG and a Hack-n-slash Roguelike it's only in the minds of god's biggest gooberpeas

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bamhand posted:

lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Admin Note: Do not doxx if dead.

euphronius posted:

Bill Roper said that the team’s “initial pitch, in a nutshell, was to take the excitement and randomness of games like Moria, Nethack, and Rogue, and bring them into the 1990s with fantastic graphics and sound

do you understand words. those are roguelikes. the reason arpgs are called arpgs and not roguelikes is because there was a significant transformation between the two styles of games that rendered them distinct. specifically "action" rpgs to differnetiate them from older rpgs which notably lacked action. also beyond that the core loot systems used in diablo etc are significantly different to the dnd-based systems in those games. and beyond that every single game in the genre specifically ties back into diablo 2.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

bamhand posted:

I'm not clear on what you'll be stashing rn, because it looks like rares are stopgap gear while leveling until you find good legendaries

I think it's just going to be greater affix legendaries/uniques

manuals are going to be an inventory nightmare far, far worse than aspects, and just as bad as the previous rare situation unless the filtering on them is very clean - while they are separated broadly into the same categories as aspects currently, that won't matter if the affix pool in each category is deep - you'll have 25 'weapon' manuals with 25 different sets of 4 potentially useful affixes, how do you organize that?

they're just menu unlocks at the blacksmith, like packaged bundles of enchants!

victrix fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 20, 2024

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

Stop arguing with me

to be fair this is just good advice in general across the entire forums

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

victrix posted:

I'm not clear on what you'll be stashing rn, because it looks like rares are stopgap gear while leveling until you find good legendaries

I think it's just going to be greater affix legendaries/uniques and manuals

manuals are going to be an inventory nightmare far, far worse than aspects, and just as bad as the previous rare situation unless the filtering on them is very clean - while they are separated broadly into the same categories as aspects currently, that won't matter if the affix pool in each category is deep - you'll have 25 'weapon' manuals with 25 different sets of 4 potentially useful affixes, how do you organize that?

gotta train a tempering apprentice and keep him in your hideout so he can tell you what options you have

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

Stop arguing with me

I don't think anyone was saying it sprang from Zeus's head fully formed like Athena, just that there's a distinct lineage of games that you can trace directly back to Diablo/Diablo 2. Of course those games had inspirations of their own, but if someone asked you to recommend them a roguelike and you said poe they'd look at you like you're an rear end in a top hat.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If there is indeed a difference between an ARPG and a Hack-n-slash Roguelike it's only in the minds of god's biggest gooberpeas

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

IcePhoenix posted:

to be fair this is just good advice in general across the entire forums

yeah too bad the intended recipient only knows how to belittle people over having minor differences in opinion and makes over 50 posts a day mostly just doing that

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Stux is right

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

gotta train a tempering apprentice and keep him in your hideout so he can tell you what options you have

:hmmyes:

I'm not entirely sure if I mind, since it looks like putting together a set of gear that supports your build is going to be pretty fun

I'll take looking through a set of gear mods over comparing +2.5% damage vs tanned bear assholes affixes anyday

so alongside the previous overall game progression, it looks like the gear progression will be rares -> rares with whatever trash aspects you find/legendaries -> legendaries with tempered affixes -> legendaries with perfect tempers and perfect aspect rolls -> masterworked greater affix legendaries with perfect tempered affixes and perfect aspect rolls

again that tail end is much much longer than anything we had before (and far more obvious, you see a III affix legendary drop you can get hype)

very curious about the rarity, I'm assuming 1 greater affix legendaries will be reasonably common with 2s being rare and 3s being super loving rare

so getting a 3 greater affix legendary with affixes you want and then landing two tempered affixes you want and then masterworking that sumbitch will be the item endgame

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tonetta posted:

yeah too bad the intended recipient only knows how to belittle people over having minor differences in opinion and makes over 50 posts a day mostly just doing that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7DtFjK5qkU&t=23s

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Manuals definitely seem to have a lot of huge design pitfalls. Gotta see the whole system in motion to judge for sure but I am at maximum Concern about Manuals and Tempering right now

Struggling to see why they don't just let you select the specific Affix from the 4 and have that one applied...

Is this all a direct replacement to the Occultist enchanting?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am sorry for being anal and will agree that people can have reasonable differences over the interpretations of genre definitions

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is Potion Guy gonna have a Serum of Erase Affix From Manual? That could help the system out a bit if you could lop off the lame option(s) before tempering

EDIT obviously nobody knows the answer to that question but I just already have the feeling this is gonna be a great system at the 2.1 release level

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

your interpretation is the game genre equivilant of flat earth

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

looks like manuals go right into their own ui

:shockedpikachu:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
They finally did it.

They remade Diablo 3: RoS with better graphics and better combat.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

They should replace the dungeon completion rewards from aspects to those manuals/recipes. Makes it more worthwhile to run dungeons prior to NMD access.

If these changes are a hit, S4 theme is a banger and then we get the expansion right after we might have a good game here folks!!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh MrMidnight, you card, you're so hard to please! Always with the jabs

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Always done with a smile I assure you

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They finally did it.

They remade Diablo 3: RoS with better graphics and better combat.

Hell yeah hail Diablo.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If they really wanna one-up RoS, they can put Diablo in the expansion

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I’m sold on the loot pitch. Looks good. Where the hell is the loot filter though? Presumably I won’t give a poo poo about the legendaries dropping that have lower rolls than my codex? But I will still need to pick them up to check?

Rifts are w/e but I didn’t expect much of an end game system prior to the first expansion.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If they really wanna one-up RoS, they can put Diablo in the expansion

They assured us that Diablo is totally dead this time. Remember when he fell from heaven and through some clouds? That is the one way to kill a demon forever. When they said he was dead for real this time at the end of Diablo 1, Diablo 2, and Diablo 3 they were lying, but this time they are telling the truth.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

euphronius posted:

Stop arguing with me

Are you aware that Diablo 1 originally was a turn based game until someone from Irvine told them to make it real-time? Literally the thing that turned Diablo 1 from a 1980s roguelike with graphics into a new genre was direction from a different studio. And they didn't want to do the change at first until Dave Brevik implemented it and they all immediately saw that it was better.

I will never stop arguing on the internet.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ultrachrist posted:

I’m sold on the loot pitch. Looks good. Where the hell is the loot filter though? Presumably I won’t give a poo poo about the legendaries dropping that have lower rolls than my codex? But I will still need to pick them up to check?
I think you'll still want to pick them up to salvage them for crafting materials.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Natural drops can have a greater affix, and I think legendaries have more affixes on them than rares. It seems like their goal is to make every single item worth picking up and looking at, making it more likely that every piece of gear is usable, and making it easier to identify if something is worth keeping or tossing at a glance

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GOTY

quote:

In Season 4, the camera can zoom out further.
Gems can be sold for significantly more gold.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Is that real are we in the good zoom zone?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

flashman posted:

Is that real are we in the good zoom zone?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ultrachrist posted:

Rifts are w/e but I didn’t expect much of an end game system prior to the first expansion.

In the Q&A they pretty much confirmed that there will not be a loot filter, they think this change means the game doesn't need one

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Actually sick going to play season 4 for this alone frozen orbs back on the menu boys

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I would appreciate a loot filter but I definitely would not expect it to or use it to filter by the roll value on affixes

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They assured us that Diablo is totally dead this time. Remember when he fell from heaven and through some clouds? That is the one way to kill a demon forever. When they said he was dead for real this time at the end of Diablo 1, Diablo 2, and Diablo 3 they were lying, but this time they are telling the truth.

RoS ended with the black soulstone getting smooshed and flat out saying he'll be back.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Plus they got the word diablo on the box

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mustached Demon posted:

RoS ended with the black soulstone getting smooshed and flat out saying he'll be back.

Adria claimed he would be back, but Blizz's "official" lore stuff says that Diablo's soul is all tangled up with the other evils and it is unprecedented, so he might totally be gone for centuries this time guys!!! We're serious this time! *wink*

quote:

"Diablo will return. I have done what I can to ensure it. He always finds a way. In your heart of hearts, you know this."

- Adria

quote:

Yeah, just like Sean and Jesse said earlier, like that Soulstone is shattered. Those sort of essences have been scattered to the cosmic winds. You have seen Duriel. So that’s one of them, and we know from history… History has shown that when the essences are scattered, even when they’re defeated, they do find their way back. But it’s important to remember that Lilith is here, and now there’s a power vacuum.

The black soulstone events were unprecedented. The other evils were able to separate themselves from Diablo, but it may be centuries before we see him again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Changes sound good. Am I really going to have to wait until May?