Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This video appears to show members of the Syrian opposition executing a large group of captives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_ttA71FTB8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

This video appears to show members of the Syrian opposition executing a large group of captives

Well that's no good. :smith:

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Hey, don't worry guys, the FSA is fighting for a bright future, birthing pangs of democracy amiright? :thumbsup:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Miruvor posted:

Hey, don't worry guys, the FSA is fighting for a bright future, birthing pangs of democracy amiright? :thumbsup:

My delicate, hothouse flower of innocence has been shattered by both the video, and your insightful comment and ironic use of a smilie. Truly, you have righteously called us all out as internationalist swine whose hatred of Assad has blinkered us to the difficult truths about the Syrian rebellion. I'm sure that I speak for everyone in this thread when I say that your wisdom is both welcome and needed to ensure that we never let our naïveté throttle the discussion again.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
It's a proud day for everyone in this thread, truly.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Well, we can scratch the FSA off the list of revolutionary groups that committed no war crimes. Let's review the list:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Don't forget that "Syrian opposition" is a lot of different groups, some of which you could call the FSA. Hence the difficulties/dangers in trying to arm or coordinate with them. I'm not saying they don't probably all have blood on their hands, but some are more extreme in their methods than others.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yes, I prefer the term "Syrian opposition" as the FSA is just one of the armed groups fighting against the government in Syria, even if they are all mostly fighting alongside each other. It's a term that'll really come in to play when they start fighting among themselves.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It's almost as though we are capable of observing situations and processing them in a more complex faction than "good guys do good things, bad guys do bad things! good guys yay! bad guys boo!"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I am very ignorant of the region and this conflict. I have been following this thread for a few weeks and trying to read up. I was thinking good guy bad guy.

That was loving sobering.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

Brown Moses posted:

How are you supposed to tell who's killing who in these kind of videos?

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Is this 'classified Benghazi cable reviewed by Fox News' anything new? it's showing back up on my FB via two people.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
One of the many things that worries me about a Romney presidency is the fact that he has often talked about wanting to arm the rebels in Syria. Of course he says he only wants to arm the "good" rebels. There is no way in hell anyone who pours weapons into Syria is really going to be able to control who gets them. The rebels might be really upset with Obama for not arming them, but the fact is the American people can also take comfort in the fact that he also not arming Al Quaeda, Jihadists etc. And if and when Assad goes, and this war turns into an even bigger civil war that might go beyond the boundaries of Syria we really don't need atrocities and massacres committed with American weapons. I just feel like Romney really doesn't have much of a grasp of foreign policy or at best a very simplistic view of the world and we've already seen what happens when we have a president who views the world in simple black and white.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't the U.S. specifically arm and train the most hardline fundamentalists in Afghanistan because the moderates and seculars were too much of a "threat" for their interests?

That is a quite different thing than giving weapons to Syrians. As long as we're not favoring one side over another or even promoting assassination of who we don't like i don't think arming the resistance would be a bad thing.

Comedy option: Give the options to the Saudis, they'll know who to arm :downs:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mans posted:

Didn't the U.S. specifically arm and train the most hardline fundamentalists in Afghanistan because the moderates and seculars were too much of a "threat" for their interests?

Not specifically, no. Most of the money we put into Afghanistan came in via the Pakistanis, who favored the hard-line Islamists for a number of different reasons. A rather good book about US funding for the Afghan War is, "Charlie Wilson's War" which details the fascinating efforts of a Texas congressman to fund a proxy war against the Soviets.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

^^^ :argh:

Mans posted:

That is a quite different thing than giving weapons to Syrians. As long as we're not favoring one side over another or even promoting assassination of who we don't like i don't think arming the resistance would be a bad thing.

Sort of. We gave money and weapons to Pakistan, which then armed the ones they liked the best (fundamentalists).

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Adrastus posted:

How are you supposed to tell who's killing who in these kind of videos?

Helps to have Arabic speakers telling you what's going on.

Here's a L-39 being shot down in Aleppo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knroraf7UcY

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Saw this come up on NBC earlier http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/01/14855573-israel-admits-killing-deputy-of-late-palestinian-leader-yasser-arafat?lite . From the thread I get the sense that Israel doing stuff like this isn't really a new idea, but I'm curious if the actual admission of assassinating him, in a separate foreign country no less, would have any particular international ramifications beyond "Oh those wacky Israelis and their assassination missions."

SpaceViking fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 1, 2012

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SpaceViking posted:

Saw this come up on NBC earlier http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/01/14855573-israel-admits-killing-deputy-of-late-palestinian-leader-yasser-arafat?lite . From the thread I get the sense that Israel doing stuff like this isn't really a new idea, but I'm curious if the actual admission of assassinating him, in a separate foreign country no less, would have any particular international ramifications.

No. The killing of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh in Dubai in January 2010 was a high-profile debacle that ended up plastering the faces of Israeli secret agents all over the world and pissing off a lot of friendly governments, and nothing ever really came of it. At least nothing public.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mans posted:

In addition to the other replies, it's worth noting that it was post-Soviet withdrawal that basically everyone in the region started funding and arming their choice of militant groups in the hopes that they'd end up in charge of a client state. Pakistan's choice wins only they were really loving stupid about who they picked to back.

Things only irrevocably go to poo poo in Afghanistan after the US has stopped paying attention.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Brown Moses posted:

Helps to have Arabic speakers telling you what's going on.

Not to accuse you of anything, but I was wondering if you are going to try to learn Arabic and/or Farsi. It would probably cut out the middleman with a lot of your reporting.

Volkerball posted:

Probably been posted here before, but this popped up on my feed today. It's a short video made before the civil war in Syria kicked off that is a nice contrast to the awful things that get posted here. It's called Syria: The other side.

https://vimeo.com/26598137

This was a really great video. I think people in the West have trouble seeing just how similar everyone else is to us. My background is Italian and if one of my Sicilian family members sent me this video I'd believe it was from a rural Italian town. Very beautiful.

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 1, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Friendly Factory posted:

Not to accuse you of anything, but I was wondering if you are going to try to learn Arabic and/or Farsi. It would probably cut out the middleman with a lot of your reporting.

It's finding the time, maybe if I end up at the BBC it's something that'll become possible.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Friendly Factory posted:

To this point, are there a lot of regional dialects in play? Specificly the Kurds are a distinct ethinic group, do they have their own language?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Bombadilillo posted:

To this point, are there a lot of regional dialects in play? Specificly the Kurds are a distinct ethinic group, do they have their own language?

There is a language called Kurdi. I might be wrong, but I think Kurdi is under the Indo-Aryan language pool (and Indo-European at large) whereas Arabic is a Semitic language.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Bombadilillo posted:

Yes, there's a big to-do about it in Turkey as Kurdish was effectively banned until recently, and there's been some changes in recent years to be more accommodating to the language.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This video from the Idlib Martyrs brigade gives a good example of the different weapons used by the opposition at the moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP4cTB8LI7U

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Speaking of Turkey, Reuters just had an article examining the results of UN findings about their use of anti-terror laws to suppress dissent or support for Kurdish groups. Apparently the've locked up more journalists than Iran or China, which is a little surprising to me.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Turkey's treatment of their Kurdish minority is one of the major impediments in their attempts to join the EU if I recall correctly.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I like this little sketch based off the Hajj pilgrimage from Syrian activists in Talbiseh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gx11sp_s2c

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

I am very ignorant of the region and this conflict. I have been following this thread for a few weeks and trying to read up. I was thinking good guy bad guy.

That was loving sobering.

After 20 months of conflict where bands of Assad's soldiers have walked into towns, killed everyone they could find, then tossed their bodies into houses and lit them on fire, I think it's a safe bet that the opposition in general is losing grasp on perspective. Especially when you consider that the international community has done nothing but pay them lip service. I can't imagine how traumatizing it must be to deal with this conflict as someone stuck in Syria who just wants it to be over. While atrocities do happen from both sides, if there's a video of kids who have been stabbed to death, or a bunch of burnt families laid out in a mosque, it's a safe bet that it wasn't the opposition.

There's going to be a point, that has probably already been crossed, where it's going to be impossible for Syria to assimilate into a new government without a hell of a lot of bloodshed after the fall of Assad. Every day is a step further in the wrong direction. Kids still aren't going to school, people are still getting blown up daily, more jihadists and people with their own agendas are moving in, and Assad seems no closer to falling. The opposition has never been unified, but it seemed to me like earlier in the conflict, when Syria State TV was denouncing the opposition as terrorists, they had to grasp at straws for examples of it a lot more than they do now. I think if there had been intervention in the first few weeks, a lot of these problems would have been avoided. Over a year later, it's hard to see what will change assuming Assad is even killed.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 1, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A good piece by one of my arms nerd buddies about the FAB high explosive bombs being used in Syria, Evidence of large unguided Blast Bombs reported from Syria

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 1, 2012

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not specifically, no. Most of the money we put into Afghanistan came in via the Pakistanis, who favored the hard-line Islamists for a number of different reasons. A rather good book about US funding for the Afghan War is, "Charlie Wilson's War" which details the fascinating efforts of a Texas congressman to fund a proxy war against the Soviets.
Ghost Wars is another good read.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Friendly Factory posted:

This was a really great video. I think people in the West have trouble seeing just how similar everyone else is to us. My background is Italian and if one of my Sicilian family members sent me this video I'd believe it was from a rural Italian town. Very beautiful.

Last year, someone had a photo essay of when they went to Syria, just before the major poo poo started happening. They took a lot of pictures of that covered marketplace in Aleppo I think it was.

Sadly, the war burned it down.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mans posted:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the U.S. interests in Afghanistan were "kill Soviets." I mean, I feel that it isn't really an exaggeration to say that Michael Vickers saw his role to facilitate making the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan as bloody as possible for them, period. It just so happened that we had to funnel most of the money/arms/supplies through the ISI and they had other motives/interests.

After the Soviet withdrawal U.S. interests changed to "...which -Stan is that, again?" while like Alchenar said everyone else started backing factions in the ensuing civil war.

Arming everyone is a terrible idea...the fact that we've demonstrated in the past that we don't necessarily consider the ramifications of our actions in choosing sides in a conflict isn't cause to start acting like a combination of Santa Claus and Viktor Bout, it's a pretty good reason to stay the hell out of the "arming shadowy groups we don't fully understand the composition of" business.

And yeah, Ghost Wars is a good read on the subject of 1979-2001 Afghanistan.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Young Freud posted:

Last year, someone had a photo essay of when they went to Syria, just before the major poo poo started happening. They took a lot of pictures of that covered marketplace in Aleppo I think it was.

Sadly, the war burned it down.

This thread was posted back in January. The OP had some great photos, and I contributed some of my own as well.

It really loving sucks about Aleppo :(

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

iyaayas01 posted:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the U.S. interests in Afghanistan were "kill Soviets." I mean, I feel that it isn't really an exaggeration to say that Michael Vickers saw his role to facilitate making the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan as bloody as possible for them, period. It just so happened that we had to funnel most of the money/arms/supplies through the ISI and they had other motives/interests.

It's worth noting that the ISI funded fundamentalist groups in part because they were much more aggressive and much more militarily effective. Mohammad Yousaf, who ran the ISI program which armed and funded those groups, wrote a pretty decent book ("Afghanistan, The Bear Trap") which goes over this. The ISI was aware of the potential for blowback, it just didn't make much sense to spend a lot of time arming and training groups that weren't interested in engaging Soviet units.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Paper Mac posted:

It's worth noting that the ISI funded fundamentalist groups in part because they were much more aggressive and much more militarily effective. Mohammad Yousaf, who ran the ISI program which armed and funded those groups, wrote a pretty decent book ("Afghanistan, The Bear Trap") which goes over this. The ISI was aware of the potential for blowback, it just didn't make much sense to spend a lot of time arming and training groups that weren't interested in engaging Soviet units.

It's hard to believe it was Gulbuddin Hekmatyar's military prowess that got him to receive most military aid. From Stephen Tanner's book on the military history of Afghanistan it was clear being a Pashtun got him that position over the far more competent but Tajik Massoud. Hekmatyar had very little support in Afghanistan which made him all the more perfect as he totally depended on ISI support.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

CeeJee posted:

It's hard to believe it was Gulbuddin Hekmatyar's military prowess that got him to receive most military aid. From Stephen Tanner's book on the military history of Afghanistan it was clear being a Pashtun got him that position over the far more competent but Tajik Massoud. Hekmatyar had very little support in Afghanistan which made him all the more perfect as he totally depended on ISI support.

For sure, and those considerations weren't mutually exclusive (which is why I said "in part")- there were a number of moderate Pashtun groups in Pakistan that were essentially militarily inactive, who, according to Youssaf, were cut off by the ISI as a result, despite American pressure to continue supporting them. In any case, my point was just that the religio-political orientation of those groups was secondary to pragmatic considerations like the ones you've mentioned, which I find useful to keep in mind when thinking about who's supporting who in a place like Syria.

Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:
-------------------------------->
An article written by a Dutch journalist about the Benghazi attacks has answered some questions:

quote:

One letter, written on Sept. 11 and addressed to Mohamed Obeidi, the head of the Libyan Ministry of Foreign Affairs' office in Benghazi, reads:

"Finally, early this morning at 0643, September 11, 2012, one of our diligent guards made a troubling report. Near our main gate, a member of the police force was seen in the upper level of a building across from our compound. It is reported that this person was photographing the inside of the U.S. special mission and furthermore that this person was part of the police unit sent to protect the mission. The police car stationed where this event occurred was number 322."

The account accords with a message written by Smith, the IT officer who was killed in the assault, on a gaming forum on Sept. 11. "Assuming we don't die tonight. We saw one of our ‘police' that guard the compound taking pictures," he wrote hours before the assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Chronojam posted:

Speaking of Turkey, Reuters just had an article examining the results of UN findings about their use of anti-terror laws to suppress dissent or support for Kurdish groups. Apparently the've locked up more journalists than Iran or China, which is a little surprising to me.

They spend colossal amounts of time to suppress Roj TV (a kurdish channel) here in Denmark, so if their zeal here is anything to go by, loving with kurdish journalism must be priority one.

• Locked thread