Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.

DL O'Neill (who will hit two home runs to cheer him up??), call up Ed Morgan. Morgan starts in RF full-time, batting sixth, with the LF platoon batting eighth; Furillo is fourth outfielder.

Additionally, please send down Koufax

and Call Wes Ferrell back up to take the rotation spot. Thanks.

"9-7 Loss Unseats The Gay"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Actually you know what, it looks like the B.Abe hasn't had an AB in a month. Could you please make B.Abe Ruth LF vs RHP? Thank you, McFreeze.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

kw0134 posted:

In lieu of watching the impending death of the Generics, I'm going to note two trends in the EC: the death of power in batting, and the completely out-of-control steal rate for runners, which are concomitantly reflected in some truly abysmal CS% of the catchers. I'm going to boost HRs a bit and try to see if the running game can be depressed a bit because the number of steals is getting almost pathological. The stats are truly abysmal, the league leader for catcher RTO% is 14%. A lot of teams have catchers with 0% RTO.

So I propose two changes:

1. Boosting HRs allowed. Mogul has a setting to suppress or boost total offensive output on a global basis. I was sticking to Smasher's settings but these seem to be a little too depressed for Diamond so I'll increase it some.
2. Significantly boost RTO% so that catchers in the field aren't purely ornamental. That'll mean runners aren't simply stealing with impunity.

Old Ruth shouldn't be stealing more bases than mashing taters. That's...just not right.

somehing is fundamentally wrong with the universe when Old Ruth has stolen more bases than hit dingers.

Boost the output, Scotty!

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Keith Foulke to MR from DL, Willie Hernandez to AAA. Hernandez has been good over the three innings he's pitched, and I wouldn't mind having him in the bullpen as well, but I just can't have an extra bullpen piece because I like my bench as it is.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

I repeat... I don't even know. Let's reshuffle some deck chairs and pretend it matters.

Carl Mays to #2 Starter; all non-Mathewson Starters drop one rank

Ron Davis to Middle Relief. Herb Hash to Long Relief. Don Gross to Setup. :siren: TIM WAKEFIELD TO CLOSER BECAUSE gently caress EVERYTHING

Send Tony Womack to the Minors, bring up NOMAHHHH to the Bench

Then someone please kill me and make the pain stop

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:
Pick 'em: Repetitive Stress Disorder

Cruiserweight Championship
Oklahoma City Bombers (c)

Will the Pirates Lose Two or More Games This Week (@Whalers, vs. Marmosets)
No

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Let the dingers flow.

Meanwhile, more slider adjustments: Hit & Run to -5 to see if it will help my team batting average, pitchout to +3 to try to deal with the stolen basepocalypse even further, SB themselves down to +3 while we see how your tuning goes.

Additionally, in "shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic" news, swap Plank and Bush as the 4th and 5th starters.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

New World Symphony @ Oklahoma City Bombers (c)

Yes

Monicro fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 11, 2015

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

New World Symphony @ Oklahoma City Bombers (c)

Yes or No

Down my best hitter and fifth starter with a decently competitive slate, something's got to give. Just hope I didn't get swept at any point.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Please leave everything the same so the EC remains a Kleptocracy. I seem to flourish in that kind of enviroment.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

kw0134 posted:

In lieu of watching the impending death of the Generics, I'm going to note two trends in the EC: the death of power in batting, and the completely out-of-control steal rate for runners, which are concomitantly reflected in some truly abysmal CS% of the catchers. I'm going to boost HRs a bit and try to see if the running game can be depressed a bit because the number of steals is getting almost pathological. The stats are truly abysmal, the league leader for catcher RTO% is 14%. A lot of teams have catchers with 0% RTO.

1. Boosting HRs allowed. Mogul has a setting to suppress or boost total offensive output on a global basis. I was sticking to Smasher's settings but these seem to be a little too depressed for Diamond so I'll increase it some.
2. Significantly boost RTO% so that catchers in the field aren't purely ornamental. That'll mean runners aren't simply stealing with impunity.

Old Ruth shouldn't be stealing more bases than mashing taters. That's...just not right.

I wonder how Deacon White would do in that environment. I think he's got like a 90% CS percentage.

JR Leap
Oct 4, 2013

I have

no idea
what I'm doing

Ron Guidry to SP4
Frank Owen to LR
Duke Snider moves down to bat 7th vs RHP

Bombers retain, Pirates lose 1 or fewer

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

New (non-DH) lineups (I think non-DH is all I have to do?)

Tim Raines LF
Rogers Hornsby 1B
Richie Ashburn CF
Kiki Cuyler RF
Gabby Hartnett C
Billy Herman 2B
Hubie Brooks SS
Alan Trammell 3B

Note inserting Cuyler and Brooks and moving Trammell down in the order.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tip O'Neill has nothing to offer, it seems.

Demote O'Neill, promote Winfield.

Thanks!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

kw0134 posted:

I would not mess with home runs but RTO% could be increased, as far as I'm concerned. Toledo has a pretty rough ballpark to hit in with the exception being on almost dead-pull balls. That could explain old Ruth's issues hitting dingers. Also, he is old and only rated 80 which can't be good. I also built a pitcher's park and none of my hitters are going to hit a lot of dingers so I totally get my team. I haven't looked at everybody else's dimensions but I wonder if this could be a combination of park factors and sample size.

tl;dr: The home runs don't bother me and could be logical but the RTO seems like a real concern.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Is there anything I can do to use my bullpen less beyond just letting pitchers throw through trouble and high pitch counts at their max?

Because my new acquisition Koji Uehara apparently sucked last week too. It doesn't matter how good a reliever is, apparently. The minute they get into the Space Fish bullpen, they suck.

Given all the Jobas and the Nathan, I suspect they picked up some sort of plague from the 2014 Tigers.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

FairGame posted:

Is there anything I can do to use my bullpen less beyond just letting pitchers throw through trouble and high pitch counts at their max?

Because my new acquisition Koji Uehara apparently sucked last week too. It doesn't matter how good a reliever is, apparently. The minute they get into the Space Fish bullpen, they suck.

Given all the Jobas and the Nathan, I suspect they picked up some sort of plague from the 2014 Tigers.

That's pretty much the only way. Pitchcount +5, through trouble +5, short rest probably -3 or -4 to ensure it doesn't skip your SP5.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Week 19 Injury Report

Besaid Aurochs
Jack Clark (RF) (Forces greater than myself) - Out For Season
Johnny Bench (C) (Today is not a good day for deaths) - Out For Season

Royal Canadian Mounted Police
B. abe Ruth (LF) (Broken finger? B. abe needs this finger for the ladies!) - 8 days

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Ice To Meet You posted:

Week 19 Injury Report

Besaid Aurochs
Jack Clark (RF) (Forces greater than myself) - Out For Season
Johnny Bench (C) (Today is not a good day for deaths) - Out For Season

Royal Canadian Mounted Police
B. abe Ruth (LF) (Broken finger? B. abe needs this finger for the ladies!) - 8 days

Give Danno a new closer mcfreeze: B. roken Fingers

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I don't think he needs any more players.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

It's apparent now why he wasn't getting any ABs. Please DL B.abe, call up, oh I dunno, Killebrew I guess, and play him at 3B vs LHP. Thanks McFreeze!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

tadashi posted:

I would not mess with home runs but RTO% could be increased, as far as I'm concerned. Toledo has a pretty rough ballpark to hit in with the exception being on almost dead-pull balls. That could explain old Ruth's issues hitting dingers. Also, he is old and only rated 80 which can't be good. I also built a pitcher's park and none of my hitters are going to hit a lot of dingers so I totally get my team. I haven't looked at everybody else's dimensions but I wonder if this could be a combination of park factors and sample size.

tl;dr: The home runs don't bother me and could be logical but the RTO seems like a real concern.

It's reasonable to expect some decrease in HR, given parks and the number of deadballers in our league, but HR are turned down substantially to prevent a degenerate number of homers. In a situation where that's manifestly not present, in a new game where the base level may be different, it's worth pushing it back toward the default rather than risking an unfair suppression of power.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

What do you think, Red?

...Yeah, I know, Lemon's not doing so hot. We knew that coming in. What about that Slim Sallee guy? You think he might do alright?

Sounds good to me, you want to give Red Ruffing a shot, too?

Alright, so that's... demote Lemon, put Slim up to his spot in the rotation, Red Ruffing to his spot in the bullpen?

Alright, good. Anyone else you wanna give a shot?

Al Lopez, huh? Alright. Let's put him in for Dickey.

-Hey, I know this is a sudden though but, you were psyched about High Pockets Kelly, right? You wanna try slotting him in for Gordon, see how he fares?

...Yeah, I thought you might like that idea. Got a lineup for me?

Lineup()
#1 Combs, Center()
#2 Gehrig, First()
#3 Sewell/Heinie, Third ()
#4 Ruth, Left()
#5 Chapman, Center()
#6 Lopez, Catch()
#7 Boudreau, Stop()
#8 High Pockets, Second()
#9 Doby, Designate()

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XVI, Week 19: PLEASE MAKE THIS SEASON END!

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

PIRATES HOLD ON TO SAVE TITLES WITH 16-INNING WIN

Somalia- Credit where credit is due.

It would have been easy for the Marmosets to just get pummeled in this series against the Pirates.

After all, the Pirates are an unstoppable force that has been ravaging their way through the Dynamo League, laying waste to all that oppose them, and the Marmosets, despite having had a good season to this point, are not at that level.

But every dog has his day, and the Marmosets had theirs in the first two games of this series, picking up two straight wins to give them a chance of winning all six of the Pirates' titles if they could complete the sweep today. It wouldn't make up the yawning gap between the Pirates and Marmosets in the division race, but it would the Marmosets just the momentum they needed going into the final weeks of the season and the playoffs, especially since, due to the structure of the playoffs, the Marmosets will almost certainly be facing the Pirates in the first round the playoffs if they make it that far.

The Marmosets did their best, forcing extra inning after extra inning after tying the game 3-3 late. But even as they pushed the game deeper and deeper, there did not seem to be much question that the Marmosets were hanging on for dear life, barely able to stop the Pirates offense from finally being able to score the decisive run while, on offense, they accomplished little against the Pirates' bullpen.

With the power of the Pirates a looming threat, and the Marmosets depleting their supply of relief pitching by the sixteenth inning, it was clear that the Marmosets were running out of time, quickly. But they would get no help in the top of the inning, as a double play strangled a Marmosets rally in its crib, and forced the Marmosets to enter the bottom of the sixteenth needing to stop the Pirates from scoring a single run.

The Marmosets did not start the inning well, allowing three straight hitters to reach base, loading the bases in an extra-innings tie game with no outs. That put the Marmosets in a very tough situation, especially with the MACHINE, who did not hit a lot of ground balls, at the plate. Fortunately for the Marmosets, Eddie Plank did get the MACHINE to hit an infield grounder this time, and they were able to turn the ball into an out, gunning down King Kelly at home.

But that didn't solve the problem. True, with one out, the Marmosets were a double play away from getting out of the inning. Unfortunately, the chances of them notching a double play seemed remote, as, with MACHINE at first, there seemed little hope of getting a traditional 6-4-3 double play. It the end, it didn't matter, as Ted Simmons hit a single through the hole, scoring the winning run and saving the Pirates' titles for another week.

"I have to give the Marmosets credit, they tried their best." Beet said after the game, "I'm not sure that any of us are really better off with them doing their best this season, but they showed spirit, and that's just great." Beet looked increasingly uncomfortable. "A lot of teams would look at the division lead the Pirates have put up and just stop, just stop trying to make things harder and just wait until next season when we're gone and then do whatever they wanted."

Beet's frustration continued to mount, "A lot of teams would have figured out that there's no point to fighting us right now. The Pirates are too strong! So what if the Marmosets win a couple of games, they're 18 games back in the division with seven weeks left. They're not going to win this division, they're not going to come close to winning this division. They beat us, it changes nothing."

Beet clenched his fists, "And if they think this means that they can beat us in a short series." Beet let the assertion hang in the air, "We both know this is coming down to a short series between the Marmosets and the Pirates in the first round if the Marmosets win the wildcard game. The Pirates have won 85 games in the season so far, no one else in the Dynamo League has won more than 66. We're going to get the top seed, and the Marmosets are going to get into the wildcard game, and that means we meet in the first round. And I know that Zodiac5000 is already thinking of how great it would be for them to upset us."

"But let's think about that! Let's say the Marmosets somehow beat us in the first round. Then what? You think the South Dakota Marmosets are going all the way this season? You think they can beat the Kernels or Knights or whoever in the DLCS, and then the Southpaws or Rakers or Doom in the finals? Does that seem likely? I don't think they've got a good shot at it this season, but if they beat us in the playoffs, then that means we have to come back to the Super-League next season, and we'll still be in the same division as the Marmosets, and we'll bury them again. And I know it, and they know it, and everyone knows it."

Beet started screaming, "But you have this loving moron who won't do the right thing and just drop loving dead! The Marmosets aren't going to get demoted this season, because the Romneys are hosed, but nothing good is going to come from them doing well this season. You really want to beat us in the playoffs, Zodiac5000? Is that what you really want? Because if we don't face the Macho Men this season, we'll be right back for Super-League XVII, and if you thought we put a beating on the league this year, you have no idea the magnitude of the hell that I will unleash next season if I have to. Just let us have this win, step back, and let us win, because everyone wins if the Pirates win, okay?"

Zodiac5000 was not convinced, "Now, that Beet may have a point. Pirates usually thresh us, and I don't reckon we'd be the thresher if we met in the playoffs. Thing is, the playoffs is whole 'nother animal. Small sample sizes and miracles happen in the playoffs. Just like the Miracle on Ice, except, historically speaking, commie teams in the Super-League generally aren't juggernauts to be overcome. Come to think of it, the Juggernauts weren't much to overcome either."

GAME NOTES

-Buck Ewing is evil. And a bad fielder.

-With the injury to Mordecai Brown, Ken Raffensberger took the spot start, and pitched well enough, all things considered.

-The Pirates' penchant for making aggressive defensive substitutions reared its head again today, with Cal Ripken spending the majority of the game at first, and with King Kelly playing all of the extra innings in right field, taking the place of Babe Ruth. In fairness, had the Pirates' managed to finish the game in nine innings, it would be a non-issue.

-Pirates hit doubles.

Box Score

Don May posted:

THE POWER OF BELLHORN KNOCKS DRAGONS INTO SECOND PLACE

Krakow- What has happened to the Krakow Dragons?

And, perhaps, more importantly, what has happened to Mark Bellhorn?

In a stunning development, Mark Bellhorn had two doubles and two home runs, driving in four runs, and powering the W's to this 6-5 win over the Dragons. That, in turn, allowed the Rakers to finally overtake the Dragons for first place in the Norris-Smythe Division.

Suffice to say, the idea that Mark Bellhorn, captain of the W's would lead to the Rakers moving into first place in the Norris-Smythe Division is one of the greater ironies ever seen in Super-League history. Few rivalries have been as long-lasting or as heated as the war between the W's and Rakers, with the two teams combining to win every Norris-Smythe division title since Super-League X. It appeared that the Dragons would break that duopoly this season, having led the division for the vast majority of this season, but it appears that, once again, the Rakers and W's, almost working in concert, have, for the moment, at least, foiled the aspirations of the Dragons.

"We are not amused." Deadford was clearly furious after the game, "As the King of the Dragons, we know that our age has come, that the time of the old kingdoms of the Rakers and the Doubled-Us are over, and yet, despite our best efforts to show the world of the turning wheel, we find ourselves besieged by this confederacy of old men from the North who refuse to see that their time has come and gone. We find this conspiracy to be unacceptable and, more importantly, to be unbefitting of a king."

"We had expected such treachery from the Rakers, whose very name has become a byword for villainy, and who once sought to see us incinerated in a wicker man, but to think that the W's are involved in this attempt to take from us what is rightfully ours brings us much sadness. We had hoped the W's would take the end of their age with quiet dignity, as befitting an owner such as ForeverBWFC, but today's game raises questions about ForeverBWFC's character." A reporter asked for clarification, asking why Deadford thought that the Rakers and W's were working together.

Deadford scoffed at the man, "How do we know? How do we know? The results of this conspiracy are plainly manifest in the box score! Two doubles for Mark Bellhorn! Two home runs for Mark Bellhorn! In what mad world could such numbers occur naturally? We cannot fathom that Mark Bellhorn could have struck back at us so fiercely without some black sorcery guiding his bat, and there is no team more steeped in such evil magicks that the Rakers."

"We admit, as we are not warlocks ourselves, we cannot prove the link between the Rakers and Bellhorn's incredible day at the plate, but it is clear that there is some sort of anti-Dragon conspiracy mounting against us, and we will get to the bottom of it."

Mark Bellhorn denied any such conspiracy, "I would never make peace with the Rakers. gingemidget is the greatest monster in Super-League history. That I would work with him? A grave insult the likes of which I had never seen before. I would like to think that it is the stress of the Super-League campaign that has compelled Robert_Deadford to make such insinuations, and so, out of a sense of empathy, I shall restrain myself from speaking further on that matter."

"As far as my performance goes, the time has come for me to exert myself to the fullest. In times past, the W's could survive the trough of the great wave upon which we sail, for in those days, last place simply meant more rounds in the Gauntlet, and the W's were nothing if not the greatest Gauntlet warriors of all-time. But in newer days, we no longer fear the Gauntlet, for the W's may yet be subject to a darker fate, that of the Sub-Par League. I cannot let that happen to the W's, and I will not let it happen. Tragically, that will lead to the murder of Crows, but sacrifices must be made for the greater good, I am sure that he would agree with me."

In fact, HulkaMatt did not agree according to a statement he released in response to Bellhorn's comments, "It's me, it's me, it's Hulka-M-A-Double T, and I want the world to know that the Crows aren't going down without a fight, and next week, in Bolton, we're going to prove it when we lay the smack down on the W's like Voltaire laying the smack down on Gottfried Leibniz. Even Dr. Pangloss is not going to be able to see how what we're going to do to the W's could happen in the best of all motherfucking worlds! BOOM!"

GAME NOTES

-Most managers wouldn't have let Deacon Phillippe throw a complete game given how bad the results were. Then again, given that most of Phillippe's miscues happened against Mark Bellhorn, Deadford likely assumed that things would have to balance out by the end.

-Johnny "The Dazzler" Bassler got a double in the game, and continued to prove that he's quite the adequate backup catcher in the Super-League.

-Pete Rose stole a base! Good for him!

Box Score

Don May posted:

WHALERS WIN 3-2 OVER WOLVERINES PROBABLY MAYBE

Hartford- According to a box score that many have agreed is likely genuine, the Hartford Whalers, a team that, on information and belief, exists, defeated the Detroit Wolverines, probably another team in the Super-League, by a score of 3-2.

More information on the events of the game is hard to come by, as apparently, despite a listed attendance of nearly 20,000, no people could be found that had seen the game live. The Whalers, upon request, did divulge a list of season ticket holders, but on further examination, the names of the list appeared to have been cribbed from gravestones in a nearby cemetery.

mks5000 defended his team's policies, "Hey, there's no rule saying that dead people can't attend baseball games. At least, I don't think there is. I mean, they aren't zombies, or anything, they're just dead. Also, they don't really go to games, I think we just list them on the season ticket list as part of a tax dodge. Or maybe for some other legal reason, like to keep me from getting sued for negligent running of the team or something. Is negligence something you can be sued over? It sounds like something bad, but I'm not sure if it's really a crime or one of those civil dealies."

Asked about the ending of the game, where Rickey Henderson was walked with the bases loaded, forcing in the winning run, mks5000 looked confused for a second, before snapping his fingers and pulling out a few pieces of papers from his pocket. "You know, sometimes I have trouble remembering things, because I created this drug by distilling down no-sugar energy drinks, and that gives you a good flow, but it does kind of mess with your memory. So I've been writing down important stuff just in case I forget, so I figure that I probably wrote something down about that game, so, let me check that out."

mks5000 looked through his notes, "Don't date Irish women." mks5000 read from one of his notes. "I don't remember dating anyone from Ireland. But maybe that's why I wrote it down, because I wouldn't remember it. Of course, it raises a lot more questions than it answers. What do you think happened to make me write off all Irish girls? Must have been something pretty bad if I wrote it down, but I can't remember what it was."

"Honestly, I kind of feel like I'm in a dilemma here." mks5000 admitted, "I could either follow the instructions I left for myself, which is probably the smart move, or I could find another lass from Ireland and find out just why I told myself to do the thing I wrote down, because I figure that if there was some reason I was writing off an entire ethnicity, I'd probably be able to figure it out pretty quickly, I Think."

"But there's another problem. I don't know when I Wrote this down. How do I know that I haven't already tested out the note by dating another Irish woman to see what the issue was, but I forgot because of that drug I made. It's a problem." mks5000 looked through some other notes. "Wait, here we go, here's a note that says 'If you have any doubt about what the notes are saying, please refer to your left arm, where further instructions have been tattooed for extra security.' See, now that's some good thinking on my part."

mks5000 took off the shirt he was wearing and looked at his left arm, where a number of sentences had been tattooed. "Okay, let's see, 'you are allergic to pecans'. Well, that's good to know." mks5000 continued to read down his arm. "'You don't like tomatoes on your pizza.' See, that's a bit unclear, do I mean that I don't want, like the slices of tomato on my pizza, or am I against tomato sauce entirely. I don't think I'm against tomato sauce." mks5000 glanced towards the forearm, "'Do not follow the instructions of the notes, they are lies. Destroy them.'"

"But wait, the notes were the think that told me to do what was written on my left arm, and if the notes were lies, then should I be referring to the tattoos that the notes told me to look at? Man, I don't know. Hmmm. Okay, wait, I've got a plan." mks5000 took out a pen and started writing, "Dear future self, both the tatoos and the other notes are lying, so don't believe anything that you have written on these notes, or on your arm, or anywhere else. Except this note. You can totally trust this note. It's the only note you can trust." mks5000 put the note in his pocket, and nodded his head. "Nailed it."

As for cbx, he was not available for comment, though reporters were able to get some information from his voice mail message, "Hello, this is cbx, I'm out of the office or otherwise cannot answer your call, so please leave your message after the tone. Unless you're affiliated with the Super-League, because let me tell you something, I am done with the Super-League. Smasher Dynamo may think that it's funny to keep bagging on a guy who works 15 jobs at the same time just to grab a piece of that American dream. But do I get praised for working so hard? No, Smasher thinks that he can just make fun of me over and over again. So, if you're with the Super-League, don't bother to leave your message after the tone, because I won't be returning your call."

GAME NOTES

-Robin Roberts strategy of just pitching right down the middle of the plate and hoping for the best somehow worked despite the Wolverines having Ruth and Foxx. Nonetheless, Roberts' strong commitment to strike one allowed him to get the complete game, throwing only 110 pitches and issuing not a single walk.

-Ken Griffey got a pinch-hit!

-ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES SMASHER A DULL BOY

-Writing for the Super-League has taught me that the Jack Nicholson character in The Shining is the most relatable character in all of fiction.

Box Score

Don May posted:

TWO MOST BORING TEAMS COLLIDE IN BORING GAME THAT RESULTS IN GREAT DEAL OF BOREDOM

Canberra- In a battle between a team obsessed with numbers and a team obsessed with regulations, there were no winners, only survivors.

And, tragically, there were far too many survivors, as both team owners, as well as the constituent members of their teams, all survived, and will continue the plague the league going forward, creating the grim possibility of more of these contests, as veteran league observers note that the two teams will play each other six more times in the next two weeks.

Addressing the possibility of more Thunder/Commission matchups being made games of the week, Smasher Dynamo admitted that he had little control over the matter, "Listen, guys, the Thunder and Commission are in the same division, they're going to play each other a lot, and because they didn't play each that much in the early part of the season, they have a lot of games against each other now. It's not something I can change, they have to have these games, and the fairness in Super-League rules strongly encourage me to give games of the week to underrepresented teams when possible, and the Commission and Thunder both fit that bill."

"No, I tried to put the best game of the series forward, the Thunder had a good comeback, but I'll admit that it wasn't a great comeback, and that there's not a lot of tension in a Jonatham Papelbon meltdown at this point in Super-League history. I won't pretend that when a game like this comes up that I don't realize that after nearly sixteen seasons of the Super-League, that it's hard to come up with enough material for each update. The reality of the situation is, as many people know, the Super-League can turn into a slog, especially around this part of the season. We're a lot of updates in, but we've still got a fair number of updates to go, and the end just feels so far away."

"The other problem is that you've got two teams that aren't as compelling as they could be. The Thunder have a lot of potential, despite what CthulhuDreams may think, but they aren't the Cultists, I think that much is clear, and they aren't going to be able to compete with the Doom in their current form. As many of you know, I am leaning towards giving the Cultists another run in the Super-League, swapping out the Musial of the Cultists for the Bradman of the Thunder, because I think that given what the Cultists did in the Super-Cup, I feel compelled to have the Macho Men destroy them again, so that we can all be crystal clear on who rules this league. I am sure that CthulhuDreams may disagree with the inevitability of the Macho Men obliterating his masterpiece, but the Macho Men broke the Cultists before, and I am sure they can do so again. And, if it comes to that, CthulhuDreams will finally get his wish of building a new team."

"As for the Commission, when they get sent down the Sub-Par League, I won't feel a single shred of sympathy for them. They can complain about how Big Oh and Torriente are flawed all day long, but the fact of the matter is that the Commission are going to get demoted not because I didn't build as good a Big Oh as I could, but because Pash decided that he should try an all Bert Blyleven rotation. Maybe that sort of experimentation flies in the Sub-Par League, and Pash will find out next season I guess, but in the Super-League, where I count on teams to protect the league from abominations like the Coldplayers by making sure that they don't last long in the Super-League, it's downright criminal."

"I work hard for this league, but I can't do everything. I can't decide who wins and loses. Despite my best efforts, and Pash doesn't need to look any further than the stats of Big Oh to do know that, the teams have to win and lose by themselves. And so I put my trust in the teams of the Super-League to protect me and protect the league from teams that should not be, that must go away. The Coldplayers are an existential threat to the Super-League, they bring the entire league into disrepute, their presence in my league is a seeping wound that drains the very life out of the Super-League. But I cannot make them go away. There is nothing I can do to make the Coldplayers leave the league other than trust that the teams of the Super-League will rise to the occasion, and do the right thing. But I look at the standings, and I look at today's game, where the Commission could not hold onto the lead, and I am hurt. I am hurt because I believed the Commission cared about the league enough to save me and the other owners from the scourge that is the Coldplayers. Clearly, to this point, I have been mistaken, because if the season ended today, the Coldplayers would continue on in the Super-League, and I would be tormented for another full season."

"For good or ill, the season does not end today. There is still time for Pash to prove me wrong about him, he still has time to show everyone else in this thread that he does care about the Super-League and does want to protect it against unspeakable horrors such as the Coldplayers. I am hoping that he learns from this experience and saves us all from the Stygian horror that is a second season of the Coldplayers. A man such as Pungry, who has no love for the league other than watching the suffering he causes within it, not unusual for fans of Coldplay, of course, will not allow you to take his spot in the next Super-League without a fight. He will come at you with every overly-mopey lyric and falsetto singing that he has in his arsenal."

"Maybe Pash can pull himself out of this tailspin that threatens to destroy not only his team, but the SUper-League itself, and prove to everyone that he is more interesting in helping out his fellow man than allowing the forces of hell, and let's not pretend that Coldplay is anything other than a catspaw used by the devil himself to ensnare mankind in a nightmarish prison of wuss rock, from destroying our very souls. I would like to think that Pash has an interest in doing the right thing and ensuring the demotion of the Coldplayers, but then games like these happen, and I wonder what the point of any of this really is? Did I start up the Super-League just so that it could be captured by the forces of darkness? Do I need to worry about a team based on the Imagine Dragons or, god help us, Nickelback? Or can Pash pull himself out of the grave that he has spent so much time this season digging for himself, and show the world that he is a fighter capable of the greatest heroism a Super-League owner can accomplish."

"I suppose the time will come, and sooner than we might think, when we know once and for all the answer to the question of Pash. There is not much time left in this season, but there is time enough to turn things around. I believe Pash could save us all. But that does not mean that he will. The power is in his hands to save or drat the league. I don't envy him for being the fulcrum upon which the fate of the Super-League will be decided, but his own actions have led us here, and it will be his own actions that determine not only what happens to the Commission, but what happens to us all. May Bureaucratus shine brightly on Pash, and lead him to glory. Amen."

GAME NOTES

-NO GAME NOTES! drat YOU, PASH!

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

You have six games against the Symphony. If this team is going to make it, they probably need to win at least five.

Analysis

Grumble.

Analysis

This team is part of a great wildcard race. Not so much the division race, though.

Analysis

PULL UP! PULL UP!

Analysis

That is an impressive gap between Pythag and actual records. Making up six games in the last seven weeks in the wildcard race is hard, but doable. Then again, so is falling into last place.

Analysis

This is a team that can never die. Also a team that has a lot of pieces it's not using as well as it could be.

Analysis

I hate the state of Florida. And this isn't me being funny. I hate that state. It's a bad place populated by bad people, and I wish it the worst. It ruined baseball for me, it ruined basketball for me, and it's going to ruin hockey for me. And the only reason that it hasn't ruined football for me is because the Packers only play the Dolphins every four years, and wouldn't face them in the playoffs unless they made the Super Bowl.

Analysis

You win the series against the Losers next week, it won't seal the division title, but it will come close.

Analysis

This team might just win a wildcard this season. Makes you think.

Analysis

Steady as she goes.

Analysis

You can't lose next week's series against the W's. You just can't. In terms of your pitching, I guess we're at Lowe tide.

Analysis

You need to rest some guys...but not this week, because you can't afford to play your reserves against the Rakers.

Analysis

Do the right thing, Pash!

Analysis

The Masked Shortstop returns! And the Kernels' division lead grows.

Analysis

Well, you broke the spirit of the Dragons. That's something.

Analysis

They didn't make it.

Analysis

Good news: The Bombers have a chance to take the division lead!

Bad news: They'll be taking a tour of the Senor Goodtimes' gimmick stadiums next week.

Analysis

The Losers are starting to get back into form.

Analysis

Santorum is the word I'd use to describe the condition of your team at the moment.

Analysis

If these team wants to live, it must beat the Wolverines in their series next week.

Analysis

A poor week. Comparatively speaking. Although Leonard being back next week should help things.

Analysis

For the W's to win, the Crows must die.

Analysis

Baker made a spot start this week, and threw five innings, allowing just one hit. I think that makes up for the continuing disappointment that is Stearnes, who I'm going to fix one of these days.

Analysis

The Rakers time has come.

Standings

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.

Diane, I am looking at the statistics for our starting pitching and I don't like what I see.

But since our only option is a blown up Steve Rogers we will have to keep that the same.

What we can change, Diane, is the order in which our batsmen swing.

New Lineup
1 - SS Tony Fernandez
2 - CF Brett Butler
3 - 3B Adrian Beltre
4 - LF George Bell
5 - RF Ken Singleton
6 - 1B Will Clark
7 - DH Cecil Fielder
8 - C Walker Cooper
9 - 2B Ian Kinsler

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

With the wounds healed and the cracks fixed, healed Maddux in at #2 starter. That Maddux to minors. I'm keeping "good luck charm" Kerry Wood in the rotation.

All I want is friends :negative:

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

I'm going to remove all the platoons, and go with one lineup against everyone this week:

code:
2B - Collins
DH - McGraw
RF - Hamilton
1B - Carew
CF - Bell
3B - Santo
SS - Vaughan
LF - Bonds
C  - Berra
Also, I'm going to change a couple of the sliders.

code:
Hit and Run: +2
Sacrifice Bunt: 0
Squeeze Play: 0
High Pitch Counts: -3
And for the hell of it, put Halladay in Wynn's spot in the rotation. Send down Wynn as well.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

i want to die.

well no i want my team to live.

sure, give lowe a shot.

i don't want anyone being sore. mickey will probably be next week, but i gotta save 1/3 of my lineup.

lineups

code:
VS. RHP		                          |  VS. LHP
##    Position	 Player	           R/L/S  |  ##    Position   Player            R/L/S
01    2B         Joe Morgan         [L]   |  01    DH         Nap Lajoie         [R]
02    C          Josh Gibson        [R]   |  02    CF         Willie Mays        [R]
03    RF         Tony Gwynn         [R]   |  03    LF         Mickey Mantle      [S]
04    LF         Mickey Mantle      [S]   |  04    C          Josh Gibson        [R]
05    1B         Nap Lajoie         [R]   |  05    3B         Alex Rodriguez     [R]
06    SS         Alan Trammell      [R]   |  06    SS         Alan Trammell      [R]
07    DH         Jason Giambi       [L]   |  07    1B         Jeff Bagwell       [R]
08    CF         Bernie Williams    [S]   |  08    RF         Bernie Williams    [S]
09    3B         Nomar Garciaparra  [R]   |  09    2B         Joe Morgan         [L]

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

There's a lesson in here somewhere about not sticking with a bad hand.

Put Cliff Lee in for Holland. In addition, make Schang Maddux's personal catcher, since I forgot to update that after the rotation shuffle.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Lineup vs R, DH:

SS Joe Sewell
C Ernie Lombardi
DH Ted Kluszewski
LF Ken Williams
CF Carl Furillo
1B Bill Buckner
RF Sam Rice
3B Marty McManus
2B Nellie Fox

vs L, DH:

SS Sewell
C Lombardi
3B McManus
DH Williams
CF Furillo
LF Bing Miller
1B Steve Garvey
RF Rice
2B Fox

Bench:
Earl Battey
Miller/Kluszewski platoon
Garvey/Buckner platoon
Tim Raines
Vern Stephens

Pitching:

Pedro
Pete
Pedro
Koufax
AJ Burnett

CL Papelbon
SU Hoffman
SR Marshall
SR Lefferts
MR Williamson
LR Halladay

Please skip AJ Burnett's first start this week, and set Pedro as next starter.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Deacon White in at C vs RHP. Simmons vs LHP. Move both down to 9th.

Eddie Collins starts vs both

Koufax in at SP2

Dutch Leonard to SP5

Lefty Williams to LR

Welp.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
In an effort to defeat the Coldplayers someone please trade me some starting pitching.

Thanks...

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Ooofda. that's a lot of sore folks. I also do not approve of the Pirates clear plan to bean their way to success in that game of the week! If I beat Beet in the playoffs, bet your rear end I'm taking the Macho Men challenge and I won't have to deal with the returning Pirates, one way or another. The Marmosets have had one goal this whole time, and if they die in solitary battle against the Macho Men I will consider that goal fulfilled.

Substitute Ewing in for Hornsby at 3rd.
Put Stand Musial at 1B, Gehrig to the bench, Chipper Jones in Left.
Stearnes to the bench, Oscar Charleston to Right.

No need to change anybody's spots in the lineup.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Super-League XVI, Week 20 Injury Report

Antarctic Coldplayers
Greg Maddux (SP) (Bones Sinking) - 12 days

Florida Oranges
Wade Boggs (3B) (LORD PALMERSTON!) - Out for Season

Krakow Dragons
Deacon Phillippe (SP) (Trod upon the Vale of Woe) - 10 days

New York Winners
Allie Reynolds (SP) (And another one bites the dust) - 10 days

Oklahoma City Bombers
Arky Vaughan (SS) (Han-Ram Fun Zone Time!) - 12 days

Pick 'em: Turbo Edition

Oklahoma City Bombers (c) @ Chicago Southpaws

The Pirates vs. The Universe Challenge! Did the Pirates lose one or more games? (@Wolverines, vs. Whalers)
Yes or No

:siren:gently caress THE MOON!:siren:

Adventures of Superman #478

Now that's a cover! Two dudes punching each other while the moon explodes.

Superman is currently involved in a crossover that has him traveling through time, and while I've ignored two previous parts of the crossover where Superman met up with past versions of the Legion, since they don't bear on the current goings-on of the Legion, this issue does kind of matter a lot.

The Moon! A reporter is reporting that two super-powered beings are fighting on the moon. One of them, Dev-Em, a recurring Legion character who is now EVIL! It turns out Dev-Em is beating up Andromeda, and does some exposition taunts! He's from Daxam! Also from the 20th Century!16 And Valor/Lar Gand/Mon-El/El Hijo Del Mysterioso was the one who sent him to the future.

Cosmic Boy and Cham are concerned that Dev-Em is killing Andromeda, and will then proceed to kill everyone else on the moon too. They call Lightning Lad for help. He doesn't want to help, since he's been retired for the better part of a decade by this point, and isn't even a member of the Legion, and can't walk without the aid of a cane. But Saturn Girl guilts him into helping.

Superman materializes into the scene, and Andromeda mistakes him for Pocket Universe Superboy, who she saw die years prior. Well, that's a problem.17

I have no idea who the gently caress Superboy is or what he did by this point.

And then there's some Superman subplots that get advanced for a few pages.

Andromeda explains to Superman that, in the year 2995, if man is still alive, if woman can survive, 20 million people are living on the moon. Hope it doesn't explode! Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, Furball and Shrinking Violet show up to welcome Superman, and note how they had originally met Superman earlier in the crossover when Superman had traveled time and met an earlier incarnation of the Legion. They explain that to Superman, and also note that the Legion was disbanded years prior, but some of them carry on its spirit. And then Vi explains that they actually did reform the Legion. They talk about how Superman is still bouncing through time, and chat about the Time Trapper and Pocket Universe Superboy and their encounters with them, and how those encounters definitely still happened in the timeline. Also, Saturn Girl explains that Glorith recently had Time Trapper's power stripped from her. She did? How the gently caress would Saturn Girl know that?

Saturn Girl, just to make sure that the continuity is as ropey as possible, then gives Superman a full accounting to the Pocket Universe saga, which they went to some lengths to remove from continuity. But I guess it's back now! Also, Superman probably doesn't need to be told about it, since he was actually there for most of that story. Or maybe he wasn't. Who the gently caress even knows at this point?

But, hey, some retcons have stuck! Like Dev-Em, who, in this continuity, was some rear end in a top hat from the 20th century who got lead poisoning. So Valor sent him to the future, but the experience of time travel drove him insane, and now he's evil.

Dev-Em decides to wreck the moon, and eventually busts into a Dominator bunker. Remember the Dominators are the ones secretly running Earth. The Legion and Superman race to try and seal the atmospheric domes that Dev-Em busted open, and find one of the Dominators near death. Saturn Girl uses her telepathy to learn that the Dominators are controlling Earthgov. Even worse, years before they took over, a splinter group of them infiltrated the moon and installed tons of Nuclear bombs into the moon, creating what they call the "Triple Strike" system that can blow up the moon at a moment's notice. They intended to use it to blackmail the Earth, but now Dev-Em has control of the system.

The Legionnaires and Superman race to stop him, but Dev-Em's already hit the button to start the countdown to destruction. Andromeda, realizing that she and Dev-Em will survive the destruction of the moon due to invulnerability, vows to hunt him forever if he blows up the moon. Dev-Em then collapses, the victim of Shrinking Violet attacking his eardrum. She tells Superman to stop the countdown. Superman has no idea how to do that. But Saturn Girl does, and stops the moon from exploding. The Legionnaires decide to head off and go about their other business. Very quickly. They get the gently caress off the moon as quickly as humanly possible.

The Linear Man, who has been hunting Superman through time, shows up and parts him of slough off. Apparently time travel can have some deleterious effects on the body. He and Superman argue about the situation. They both want Superman to get back to the 20th Century, since that's where Superman belongs, and this whole mess started because the Linear Man was trying to roust a time traveler back in Superman's time when Superman interfered and got punched through time. So far, though, they're at something of an impasse. The Linear Man explains that the problem is that he needs a cataclysmic event powerful enough to destabilize the time stream to the point where the Linear Man could have more control over where to send Superman in time.

Superman doesn't buy that, since in his experience, people have traveled through time a lot, and it's never been that hard. The Linear Man disagrees, and ominously informs Superman that he's got a solution to that problem, as according to his historical records, the moon should have exploded by now. Superman realizes where the Linear Man is going with this, but can't stop his foe before the Linear Man reactivates the countdown, which promptly blows up the moon.

Sic Transit Luna

Superman finds himself back in the 20th century, where the moon has not yet blown up, and laments that there's nothing he can do to help his friends in the 30th century.

Notes and Technicalities

16Before all of the retcons, Dev-Em was actually from Krypton, the same planet as Superman.

17Remember, the whole point of that whole "timeline gets erased, timeline gets rebuilt" story from issues #4-5 was to remove Pocket Universe Superboy from continuity. And Andromeda didn't even exist in the old timeline where Pocket Universe Superboy existed. So she could never have met Pocket Universe Superboy. Except now she did. I guess. Honestly, it's no longer clear how Pocket Universe Superboy fits into continuity, other than to say that he existed at one point, and died in front of the Legionnaires, presumably by the Time Trapper, except, in this continuity, they didn't conspire to kill Time Trapper for killing Superboy. I think. Maybe. It's certainly the case that they can't have conspired against both Time Trapper and Glorith since those two stories are mutually exclusive (both of them feature Duo Damsel getting one of her bodies killed, and since there's still one of her around, they can't have both died). Don't try and think about it. Just don't.

Characters of Note

-Dev-Em-

Dev-Em was originally a delinquent Kryptonian from the 20th century who ended up in the future for reasons. In the revised continuity, he's a delinquent Daxamite from the 20th century who ended up in the future for reasons. And also, I guess, he hates the moon in the revised continuity. In fairness, what did the moon ever do for anybody? Tides are for assholes!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Pick Them: gently caress THE MOON!

Oklahoma City Bombers (c) @ Chicago Southpaws

The Pirates vs. The Universe Challenge! Did the Pirates lose one or more games? (@Wolverines, vs. Whalers)
Yes

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

That doesn't make any drat sense. And if Linear Man blew up the moon to send Superman back to his own time, couldn't Superman be like "ok cool I guess I can just go kill Dev-Em in the 20th century?" Or is time travel just a convenient way of retconning literally anything and everything at a moment's notice, and thus time travel has incredibly flexible rules to allow for this?

Related: if we're allowed to do requests, please explain the Spider-Man alternate universes poo poo next season. They tried to do some of that in the animated series and I never understood it at all. Or Spiderman 2099 which a friend tried to get me into once upon a time.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

FairGame posted:

That doesn't make any drat sense. And if Linear Man blew up the moon to send Superman back to his own time, couldn't Superman be like "ok cool I guess I can just go kill Dev-Em in the 20th century?" Or is time travel just a convenient way of retconning literally anything and everything at a moment's notice, and thus time travel has incredibly flexible rules to allow for this?

Related: if we're allowed to do requests, please explain the Spider-Man alternate universes poo poo next season. They tried to do some of that in the animated series and I never understood it at all. Or Spiderman 2099 which a friend tried to get me into once upon a time.

I have no idea, because it's never explained. It's one of:

1. Dev-Em had already been sent to the future before Superman's time in the 20th century. (So, if this Superman is from 1991, then Valor would have sent Dev-Em to the future in 1987 or something).
2. Dev-Em is from the Pocket Universe and so Superman couldn't get at him because of that.
3. Superman hates the moon as much as everyone else, and his only problem with Dev-Em blowing it up in the 30th century is that he won't be able to blow it up in the 20th Century.

I think the problem with this story is that it's written by Dan Jurgens, who was writing some of the Superman books, and so only had a passing understanding of what was going on with Legion, especially the current state of the retcons.

If I'm going to go do any more of these, I'd probably want to do the Chuck Austen run on Uncanny X-Men.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I am so very confused with what is going on...

Pickem: Southpaws take, Pirates dont lose more than 1.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Smasher Dynamo posted:

If I'm going to go do any more of these, I'd probably want to do the Chuck Austen run on Uncanny X-Men.

Yessssss X-mennnnnn!!!!

Edit -

So if baker keeps up this awesome 70s style closer mentality she might just break into the Starting Rotation. I have to reward and recognize merit, and inside her tiny, teenage girl genetic monstrosity body burns the heart of a genetic monstrosity ace pitcher!

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

You know, if even the writers currently writing the comic don't really know what the gently caress they're doing, it would perhaps be prudent not to involve them in crossovers with other writers that know even less.

Pick 'Em: Bombers retain, Pirates don't lose more than one.